Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vol.2

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by vol.2 »

Odolwa wrote:Do BNC and RF switches have the same connectors? Are BNC cables just a bunch of RF cables combined?
BNC is a type of RF (radio frequency) connector. RF is not a connector standard and there are hundreds (if not thousands) of different connectors designed to work in the RF range.

You are probably thinking about TV antenna connectors, and no, they are absolutely not BNC.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

My N64's busted; I'm being told the graphics processor on it is shot and the only way to fix it would be to buy a new one or find a donor board to swap it with. However the place that looked at it is kinda sketchy, would like a second opinion on it as I've been told N64s are generally tough to kill. Is it pretty much a lost cause, there's no way to get replacement parts anywhere?

The N64's power light comes on when powered up, but the TV acts as if there's no signal to be found (no audio or video). It's hooked up correctly, I've tried swapping cables, etc.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Is it pretty much a lost cause, there's no way to get replacement parts anywhere?
not necessarily. it would take someone to go inside and poke around to see what's up. typically, if one of the ICs is indeed shot, there would most likely be a reason it died as ICs generally don't simply fail (sometimes they do). usually there is some kind of power spike or incorrect voltage that fries something, and a faulty power state would be a problem in and of itself. there could also be something on a data bus keeping a line high or low. there's really just too many things to be wrong to declare a fault without probing the thing.

my guess is that the people you took it to just wanted to look like they know what they are doing, but didn't want to (or couldn't) go through the trouble of diagnosing the fault, so they told you a part was broken that you couldn't easily replace.

can you fix it yourself? probably not if you don't have a scope and some reasonable EE troubleshooting skills.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:My N64's busted; I'm being told the graphics processor on it is shot and the only way to fix it would be to buy a new one or find a donor board to swap it with. However the place that looked at it is kinda sketchy, would like a second opinion on it as I've been told N64s are generally tough to kill. Is it pretty much a lost cause, there's no way to get replacement parts anywhere?

The N64's power light comes on when powered up, but the TV acts as if there's no signal to be found (no audio or video). It's hooked up correctly, I've tried swapping cables, etc.
Perhaps you have already checked. But have you checked if the Jumper pack or Expansion pack is properly installed?
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

hello,

I got Japanese Twin Famicon and Super Famicom, as well as american genesis model 1. I have simple questions about each one:

Super Famicon:

I plan to get Super Everdrive X5...

1- does it support playing non-NTSC games (if needed)? I read "auto region patching" feature but couldn't understand what it does.
2- does it support all flagship games? since "enhanced chips" thing exist in some games. right now I don't want that due to $$$ so I need to make sure the best games are not incompatible.

Twin Famicom:

I plan to get NESRGB + component board + SCART cable assembly. Here are my questions:

1- do I need to do the audio mod? my twin famicon is the black and blue version.
2- I want a no-cut mod. so I want to desolder the composite and mono-audio plugs and put component and stereo audio plugs in their places. However for the RGB signal using the 8-pin DIN panel mount socket, I want to put it instead of the old RF DIN connector... will it fit the hole?
3- does the 8 pin DIN PCB mount one fit into the board and can be used instead of the panel mount one? my search resulted in seeing that the pcb connected DIN doesn't support stereo audio and will require cutting traces and so on. but want to make sure.

if all info is gathered correctly, I plan to make an ultimate modding video for the twin famicom which would be beneficial to all modders.

Genesis:

I wanted the Everdrive X3 since I don't want Sega CD right now... but there is the "no reset save" thing that worries me. I suspect that my genesis has a faulty or not reliable reset button... so X5 is my next choice...

1- can I use X3 then power off the console, and power it on again to activate saves? or any other method if reset button faulty?
2- do I need audio modding to get good results? assume using insurrection industries stereo scart cable for model 1 genesis.

Also, I am open to anyone having a used cart of above mentioned if he wants to sell it for cheap price.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I have tested the super famicom from japan and the twin famicom, twin famicom via composite shows a good sync signal on ossc Y input. no current way I could verify it until I get back home to test it on cvbs capable tv.

however, the super famicom powers on and doesn't show any picture using the scart cable to ossc, nor cvbs cable to ossc Y input as the twin. what could go wrong?

seller from japan verified it to work and I tested 3 or 4 games. nothing on ossc, doesn't recognize the input.

is it the "clean the connector" kinda thing?

also, does it show an image while no cartridge inside?

Solution: the system is working fine, it is just that the seller said he only tested one game which is donkey kong 3 which is the only one which is working, i verified it now. also, tested another game i purchased separately (dragon ball super saiya densetsu) and it worked fine. thus, the other games are not ok. some of them show sync signal but no image.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Old SFC carts can sometimes take a LOT of re-inserting before they'll boot, even if the cart and the SFC slot are cleaned beforehand.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

jd213 wrote:Old SFC carts can sometimes take a LOT of re-inserting before they'll boot, even if the cart and the SFC slot are cleaned beforehand.
well, looks like all of them works fine but I have to slightly wiggle them inside to work. meaning, just slightly lift them up by 1mm or so and they will work.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

This is my Twin Famicom: https://slow.pics/c/Ra2aMJPA

it is the black model, maybe one of the newer ones. I plan to get Everdrive N8 Pro to use, no original carts or discs.

I got everything I need to RGB mod it but I wanna ask about the audio... which audio mod should I do to it?

I plan to take stereo audio from CPU pins 1 and 2, plus replace the 8k2 resistor with 2k2 one. will this be enough to have best audio out of it?

please guide me.
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

Anyone know where to get these rubber/silicone pads for PCB standoffs? Nothing I search for comes up with appropriate results.

Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

VEGETA wrote:This is my Twin Famicom: https://slow.pics/c/Ra2aMJPA

it is the black model, maybe one of the newer ones. I plan to get Everdrive N8 Pro to use, no original carts or discs.

I got everything I need to RGB mod it but I wanna ask about the audio... which audio mod should I do to it?

I plan to take stereo audio from CPU pins 1 and 2, plus replace the 8k2 resistor with 2k2 one. will this be enough to have best audio out of it?

please guide me.
Don't do the "Stereo" mod. There is no such thing as stereo on the Famicom, so the mod doesn't make any sense. Just connect pin 1 and 2 to the NESRGB and take the audio from there :)
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Konsolkongen wrote:
VEGETA wrote:This is my Twin Famicom: https://slow.pics/c/Ra2aMJPA

please guide me.
Don't do the "Stereo" mod. There is no such thing as stereo on the Famicom, so the mod doesn't make any sense. Just connect pin 1 and 2 to the NESRGB and take the audio from there :)

well, I really suspected that it doesn't have stereo but wasn't sure. I thought it could be like the Neo Geo AES which has a stereo audio but not from the AV.

So I will take audio from pin 1 and 2, why 2 pins if it is just mono? are they direct analog from CPU chip?

also, anything to do about the disc system enhanced or expanded audio? since I will be playing the disc systems on the twin famicom but all via Everdrive N8 Pro.

please guide me if you can.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Osirus wrote:Anyone know where to get these rubber/silicone pads for PCB standoffs? Nothing I search for comes up with appropriate results.

I don’t know about those exact ones but I’d suggest googling plastic/rubber/vinyl hex caps.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

I looked myself and did not come across any. Looks longer than a standard hex cap. Would be interested in finding some of these myself.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
jamisonia

Post by jamisonia »

VEGETA wrote:

well, I really suspected that it doesn't have stereo but wasn't sure. I thought it could be like the Neo Geo AES which has a stereo audio but not from the AV.

So I will take audio from pin 1 and 2, why 2 pins if it is just mono? are they direct analog from CPU chip?

also, anything to do about the disc system enhanced or expanded audio? since I will be playing the disc systems on the twin famicom but all via Everdrive N8 Pro.

The NES "stereo" mods are just artificially separating the various audio channels that devs used to create different kinds of sounds. Since the NES did not output a separate Left or Right output no game was developed with separation in mind. So separating the different sound channels are completely artificial, which is why every mod almost always comes with a potentiometer which allows you to manually adjust the faux separation to your liking. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone does this. Its dumb AF and IMO the entire reason it exists suggests that people don't actually know what stereo is.

There are 2 pins so you can connect to each audio jack. Not sure about mixing enhanced audio on anything but a front loader.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

jamisonia wrote:
VEGETA wrote:

The NES "stereo" mods are just artificially separating the various audio channels that devs used to create different kinds of sounds. Since the NES did not output a separate Left or Right output no game was developed with separation in mind. So separating the different sound channels are completely artificial, which is why every mod almost always comes with a potentiometer which allows you to manually adjust the faux separation to your liking. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone does this. Its dumb AF and IMO the entire reason it exists suggests that people don't actually know what stereo is.

There are 2 pins so you can connect to each audio jack. Not sure about mixing enhanced audio on anything but a front loader.

ok so these 2 pins are exactly the same output or each one outputs different channels? right now I will just do this since I don't know how to get the artificial stereo and it is not even stereo sound anyway.

I hope someone who knows everdrive n8 pro and its enhanced audio implementation can inform me how to do it properly after taking cpu pins 1 and 2 to audio pins a and b of nesrgb.

there is also what they do by replacing a resistor to make audio volume higher or lower, any info on that for the twin?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it.
vol.2 wrote:my guess is that the people you took it to just wanted to look like they know what they are doing, but didn't want to (or couldn't) go through the trouble of diagnosing the fault, so they told you a part was broken that you couldn't easily replace.
I had a suspicion they never looked at the machine and basically said so just to try and encourage me to buy a new one from them. They said they had a guy who did repairs but the machine basically sat untouched because their guy was on vacation, then stopped doing repairs, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they never got their shit together and if it had never been looked at. After waiting well over 8 months, I showed up and asked how it was going, they said "oh yes, the graphics on the motherboard are shot". Thanks for contacting me as soon as you found out??? :/

Sadly I don't have the electronics knowhow to diagnose or repair it (or arcade PCBs for that matter) but it feels a waste to just toss the unit in the trash if a replacement component would revive.
H6rdc0re wrote:Perhaps you have already checked. But have you checked if the Jumper pack or Expansion pack is properly installed?
It's sat in the machine ever since I got the expansion pack but it's possible it's gotten unseated somehow. I have to locate the tool that you use to pop it out or find an alternative, but I'll try removing the expansion pack and reinserting it. I don't think I have the original jumper pack it came with handy to try, sadly.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it.

t it feels a waste to just toss the unit in the trash if a replacement component would revive.
It would be a waste. Someone will want to buy it broken for parts or to fix. Put it on ebay or offer it up in classifieds here for something reasonable. Check ebay for broken unit prices.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Anyone with an Extron account able to tell me what's new in the following firmware/grab it for me?

My DXP 42 HD 4K PLUS shipped with

1.00.0000-b003 from June of 2020, while
1.02.0000-b001 is available from march of last year.

The rest of the DXP series has a unified firmware, but the little guy has his own:
https://www.extron.com/download/softwar ... type=&id=B
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

1.01 has some HDCP handshake issues fixed.
1.02 just a SSH control fix

Send me an email if you need the FW.
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

Hello,
A few dumb questions.
I have a bvm a20 waiting for the bkm 68x clone, if the card finally produce and not reported until the end of times :roll:
Anyway, i was wondering if it could sync to any signal that is in the limit of their capability, or is it strictly limited to standard "tv" signal like 480p, 720p etc ? For example, can i connect these monitor to a pc and get 800x600 working ? I doubt it but it's to be sure.

Also i wanted to give a try to galaxy force II on mame, but impossible to find a way to map a simple d-pad. It seems to be the same problem for similar arcade games that use flight stick, like Galactic Storm. After i admit i tried a few weeks ago, i try again today but retroarch have decide to not working in 15 khz with super res. In fact i never managed to have this thing working fine in 15 khz, it's bugged as hell.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

jamisonia wrote: I can't for the life of me understand why anyone does this. Its dumb AF and IMO the entire reason it exists suggests that people don't actually know what stereo is.
I tried it out and, like many other people, thought it improved the sound. Do you often get pissed when people enjoy things you don't like? Cause it sure sounds like it...
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

atohmdiy wrote: I have a bvm a20 waiting for the bkm 68x clone, if the card finally produce and not reported until the end of times :roll:
Anyway, i was wondering if it could sync to any signal that is in the limit of their capability, or is it strictly limited to standard "tv" signal like 480p, 720p etc ? For example, can i connect these monitor to a pc and get 800x600 working ? I doubt it but it's to be sure.
Just speaking multiformat BVM's (and PVM's) in general (I've only owned D series BVM's and L5's, never an A series), but they're pretty stuck on their broadcast standards, being broadcast monitors. So 240p (a 'hack' of 480i as I'm sure you know), 480i, 480p, 480p anamorphic widescreen even (more applicable for A24/A32), 720p, and 1080i. They usually don't like PC resolutions (you would want a presentation monitor style CRT, or a PC CRT if you want to try a much wider variety of signals).

From your PC you can always run things around 480p – essentially 640x480 which isn't a far cry off from 800x600 (and the like HDTV/EDTV 720x480, 848x480 standards maybe... really just run mine on 480p consoles so haven't tested the latter from a PC too much tbh).
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

Dochartaigh wrote:
atohmdiy wrote: I have a bvm a20 waiting for the bkm 68x clone, if the card finally produce and not reported until the end of times :roll:
Just speaking multiformat BVM's (and PVM's) in general (I've only owned D series BVM's and L5's, never an A series), but they're pretty stuck on their broadcast standards, being broadcast monitors. So 240p (a 'hack' of 480i as I'm sure you know), 480i, 480p, 480p anamorphic widescreen even (more applicable for A24/A32), 720p, and 1080i. They usually don't like PC resolutions (you would want a presentation monitor style CRT, or a PC CRT if you want to try a much wider variety of signals).

From your PC you can always run things around 480p – essentially 640x480 which isn't a far cry off from 800x600 (and the like HDTV/EDTV 720x480, 848x480 standards maybe... really just run mine on 480p consoles so haven't tested the latter from a PC too much tbh).
No big deal, i was just curious as i couldn't try the beast already. And frankly there's not much point for pc res with these monitor, if i want to play a game like d2 in 800x600, vga crt are free everywhere. Iust pick a small nec (hr17) that a friend wanted to trash.

Regarding retroarch, i am wondering if i am alone to have these issues, but i don't know if people use it much around here anyway :lol: For crt mister is so much better really, a shame there is not everything like in software emu.
Anyway, i build a small pc with a ryzen 5700G, and since i got it early September i never managed to get there crt switchres thing to work. At first it was completely broken, impossible to even get their rgui menu to work, i need to start retroarch 3-4 times to get the correct 15k resolution, it was either garbage, crush horizontally or vertically, or the good res. Then with update it finally works relatively fine for some times, but with the very last update it is broken again, now i get the menu to work most of the time, but no core want to start in 15k. It's like the res switching is completely broken again. I will surely make some investigation, i am running manjaro on this pc and i am asking myself if the problem come from my 5700g and xrandr.
I also did try this pc with the nec vga crt, and 31k res option in retroarch do not work fine either, the nec run out of sync most of the time.
Guile

Post by Guile »

I was testing a HDFury 3 using hdmi output from a Wii and converting it to component. The left side of the image was cut off and I didn't get any output when using 240p or 480i. When I switched to rgb mode and a vga cable I got a nice picture that was not cut off and 240p mode worked as well.

I will test some more but does anyone know what could be causing these problems?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

1.) Would using HDMI then converting to analog with an external HDMI-> VGA box give me better picture than just using native VGA out on a DCDigital Dreamcast? Is the analog output upgraded at all from the DCDigital mod?

2.) Would using HDMI then converting to analog with an external HDMI-> RGBS box give me better picture than just using native analog RGBS from the AV Multiout port on a N64Digital Nintendo 64?

3.) Would using HDMI then converting to analog with an external HDMI-> RGBS box give me better picture than just using native analog RGBS from the analog port on a WiiDual Wii?

4.) Would upscaling a native 480p image image to 1080p from a console mod like the DCDigital provide better picture quality for a 1080p capture card than just outputting the raw 480p signal to a 1080p capture card?
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Ikaruga11 wrote:1.) Would using HDMI then converting to analog with an external HDMI-> VGA box give me better picture than just using native VGA out on a DCDigital Dreamcast? Is the analog output upgraded at all from the DCDigital mod?

2.) Would using HDMI then converting to analog with an external HDMI-> RGBS box give me better picture than just using native analog RGBS from the AV Multiout port on a N64Digital Nintendo 64?

3.) Would using HDMI then converting to analog with an external HDMI-> RGBS box give me better picture than just using native analog RGBS from the analog port on a WiiDual Wii?
Your question confuses me. Like I get comparing HDMI -> RGBS against PAL N64 RGB or NTSC modded RGB (or S-Video) but why do you need to mention N64Digital? Like you just wouldn't do the mod if you used the analog output? All other things being equal, the new mod circuitry will add video noise and more heat to the console with no electromagnetic shielding of its own. Benefit is in theory it's processing the native digital signal from the GPU/VPU and the potential quality for that is higher than going analog RGB -> HDMI. In practice, it could be worse due to lack of perfect understanding of proprietary chips or not implementing digital signal processing on the level of the more expensive external upscalers.

I'm not aware of anyone saying a 2 device console -> ADC -> DAC chain is better than just using the native analog output. Each conversion isn't perfect, especially de-interlacing.

Just saying "Would using HDMI then" doesn't specify whether you're using a Framemesiter, Retrotink product, OSSC, Tendak black crusher, $20 Amazon converter that won't accept 240p, etc. I tend to think adaptive de-interlacing on Framemeister and 5X Pro looks the best but I'm comparing from chroma subsampled YouTube videos. Next going HDMI -> RGBS/VGA without context, it's not really fair to group Portta product, HDFury X3 and all other options together.

My guess - just a guess - is no one's making digital console mods that beat out the gaming-specific upscalers. You have to imagine from an economic point of view, the mod may have worse image conversion and enhancement abilities to keep costs and development time down. No one buying it if it's more expensive than the upscalers NOT locked to a single console. You didn't ask about GBA digital mods vs Game Boy Player but I allege they look worse than the actual GameCube native-ish RGB, YPbPr and the YCbCr over HDMI option.
Ikaruga11 wrote:4.) Would upscaling a native 480p image image to 1080p from a console mod like the DCDigital provide better picture quality for a 1080p capture card than just outputting the raw 480p signal to a 1080p capture card?
Similar concept to above in that there are many capture cards at different pricing tiers and more than one option to upscale in-software like OBS and many settings. Whole discussion could be had about avoiding compression in OBS/Xsplit. You need USB 3.0 or PCIe capture card to capture uncompressed 480/576p and above and assurance based on file size that you're carrying uncompressed HDMI versus h.264 codec compression. If already compressed then probably better to send in lowest native resolution to try to undo the damage with DSP. Can fit uncompressed 480/576i on USB 2.0.

Spending one minute looking at random Reddit comments,

Unless your a diehard super big dreamcast fan, I probably wouldn't wait for a DCDigital and pay the very high price for purchase and or installation. I'd probably be happy enough with a Pound HDMI or VGA solution.

They seem to be saying DCDigital is the best option but not really worth it. That would go against my thinking but it's one opinion against another without video or oscilloscope proof.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Having a problem with Dodonpachi on Saturn. The game resets the console on game over, when it's trying to return to the title screen. If I get on the score table, it lets me enter my intials before doing it. Happens with every mode, can easily be triggered simply by dying straight away - however the entire game plays through (stuck it on easy to test). After the soft reset, it won't boot the game immediately - but will boot after a) leaving the console off for a bit b) booting another game, turning off, booting Dodonpachi. It's definitely a console reset, because it momentarily drops the signal to the TV (TV's OSD "AV" shows up in the corner) but goes straight to the disc screen, doesn't trigger the Saturn splash screen or the Sega logo.

Now this was working fine last time I played it... which was a few years ago, the Saturn having been in storage all that time and I've needed to tweak the laser's potentiometer slightly (literally a tweak to the right) to get the thing to read any disc at all (so I'm aware that might be the beginning of the end), even after cleaning the lens.

I also removed the dead battery before putting it into storage, in case it leaked, so I'm running it without a battery at the moment - not sure if that could cause this?

PAL 2nd revision Saturn, using Action Replay (unmodified) to boot JP games.

Tried Galactic Attack (which has always played fine despite extensive surface scratches) and Donpachi (pristine), both work fine. Dodonpachi disc is also as pristine as you can reasonably expect.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Having a problem with Dodonpachi on Saturn. The game resets the console on game over, when it's trying to return to the title screen. If I get on the score table, it lets me enter my intials before doing it. Happens with every mode, can easily be triggered simply by dying straight away - however the entire game plays through (stuck it on easy to test). After the soft reset, it won't boot the game immediately - but will boot after a) leaving the console off for a bit b) booting another game, turning off, booting Dodonpachi. It's definitely a console reset, because it momentarily drops the signal to the TV (TV's OSD "AV" shows up in the corner) but goes straight to the disc screen, doesn't trigger the Saturn splash screen or the Sega logo.

Now this was working fine last time I played it... which was a few years ago, the Saturn having been in storage all that time and I've needed to tweak the laser's potentiometer slightly (literally a tweak to the right) to get the thing to read any disc at all (so I'm aware that might be the beginning of the end), even after cleaning the lens.

I also removed the dead battery before putting it into storage, in case it leaked, so I'm running it without a battery at the moment - not sure if that could cause this?

PAL 2nd revision Saturn, using Action Replay (unmodified) to boot JP games.

Tried Galactic Attack (which has always played fine despite extensive surface scratches) and Donpachi (pristine), both work fine. Dodonpachi disc is also as pristine as you can reasonably expect.
Well popping a battery in would be an easy thing to test out, but I just wanted to say you can get replacement Saturn lasers on AliExpress if you didn't know.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Well, easy if I had a spare! I will of course test it when I can but was hoping for some insight as to whether it was a feasible cause of the problem. Seems a bit specific for the laser being on its way out, given the entire game plays fine.