Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ryu

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by ryu »

dunpeal2064 wrote:What would I want RGB color temp set to? I'm mainly playing shooters, no surprise there.
6,500 K if this is what i think it is
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

ryu wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:What would I want RGB color temp set to? I'm mainly playing shooters, no surprise there.
6,500 K if this is what i think it is
Thank you! Sorry if I phrased that wrong, I'm learning. That was what I was looking for though.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

With regards to uVC, if I decide to output 24KHz, do I wire up the output to the JAMMA board the same as 15KHz output or must the H-Sync and V-Sync be seperately wired? I know I have to switch jumper cables for my chassis and am cool about doing that.

edit: On the uVC manual, Dip switch 8 on will turn on composite sync, so I guess thats the case for both 15khz and 24khz?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rugdoctor wrote:With regards to uVC, if I decide to output 24KHz, do I wire up the output to the JAMMA board the same as 15KHz output or must the H-Sync and V-Sync be seperately wired? I know I have to switch jumper cables for my chassis and am cool about doing that.

edit: On the uVC manual, Dip switch 8 on will turn on composite sync, so I guess thats the case for both 15khz and 24khz?
Same for 15/24kHz. I saw your PM but I'm on my phone so I'll just paste this link and hope you'll find the manual for wiring reference: http://www.emphatic.se/?p=139
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Does Raiden Fighters Aces have settings to edit the x and y positions of the game screen?
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

Whats the "best" LCD or LED screen actually ? My budget around 1000/1200€...and i want to buy a XRGB or a Mini...so whats the best TV actually for my budget ?
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

emphatic wrote:
rugdoctor wrote:With regards to uVC, if I decide to output 24KHz, do I wire up the output to the JAMMA board the same as 15KHz output or must the H-Sync and V-Sync be seperately wired? I know I have to switch jumper cables for my chassis and am cool about doing that.

Same for 15/24kHz. I saw your PM but I'm on my phone so I'll just paste this link and hope you'll find the manual for wiring reference: http://www.emphatic.se/?p=139
Thanks mate! Got words from Tim regarding his scart to jamma adapter, it doesnt change the sync, just pure passthrough with optional amplification of the scart input. So I will start wiring up the uVC to scart and will post result soon :)
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Does Raiden Fighters Aces have settings to edit the x and y positions of the game screen?
I thought it did, but I can check when I get home if you are still curious.

My questions:

I have a universal s-video and component cables that will work for the ps2/wii/360. Is there a VGA cable similar to this, and would I get a noticably lower quality? Branching off this question, would the ps2 or wii be able to output in VGA without extra cables or modding?

My other question is: Is there an affordable way to hook multiple VGA sources into one input without losing a great deal of quality? I would be looking for 3:1

I really appriciate you guys helping mwe out with this stuff, I'm learning more about video signals and the workings of RGB each day. Thanks!!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
BPzeBanshee wrote:Does Raiden Fighters Aces have settings to edit the x and y positions of the game screen?

My questions:

I have a universal s-video and component cables that will work for the ps2/wii/360. Is there a VGA cable similar to this, and would I get a noticably lower quality? Branching off this question, would the ps2 or wii be able to output in VGA without extra cables or modding?

My other question is: Is there an affordable way to hook multiple VGA sources into one input without losing a great deal of quality? I would be looking for 3:1

I really appriciate you guys helping mwe out with this stuff, I'm learning more about video signals and the workings of RGB each day. Thanks!!
For dunpeal2064,

The only way to get VGA output from the PS2 is to use an Japanese RGB 21-pin cable fed into an upscan convertor like the XRGB-2, then use the VGA output source signal from there. You'd have to get a Component Video to VGA transcoder box for the Wii console. As for the 360, it's recommended to get an official Microsoft 360 VGA cable as it won't have problems/issues that plague such 3rd-party 360 VGA cables.

That'd be using an multi-VGA selector box device.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I was unaware of 3rd party VGA issues, I'm glad I asked. I'll pick up an official cable for the 360, and then look for a VGA selector.

Thanks you PCEFX!
antron

Post by antron »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: The only way to get VGA output from the PS2 is to use an Japanese RGB 21-pin cable fed into an upscan convertor like the XRGB-2, then use the VGA output source signal from there.PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

For progressive scan enabled (or enable-able) games I think the best way is with a component cable into an Extron RGB. It will remove the Sync on Green. Works for xbox 1 too.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rugdoctor wrote:I will start wiring up the uVC to scart and will post result soon :)
Exciting! 8)
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Bonus question:

PS2 15khz output (240p/480i) -> YUV output via Component cable -> visible noise
PS2 15khz output (240p/480i) -> RGB output via RGB cable -> no visible noise
PS2 31khz output (480p) -> YUV output via Component cable -> visible noise
PS2 31khz output (480p) -> RGsB via Component cable -> visible noise or no visible noise ?
Works for xbox 1 too.
interesting, didn't know that. How do you enable RGsB instead of YUVp output on the XBox1 ?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Extron RGB 203 Rxi - 3 inputs, 1 output. Sync cleaning, H/V shifting functionality. No quality loss. Often very cheap ($30 on ebay).

http://www.extron.com/product/img-lg/rgb203rxi-lg.jpg
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Fudoh wrote:How do you enable RGsB instead of YUVp output on the XBox1 ?
Enabled via a hacked bios.
ryu

Post by ryu »

would a TX-42 720p be fine too? the TH 37 i could have bought turned out to have screen burn in. D:
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

In general they're all fine, but this particular one doesn't have a VGA input which isn't ideal if you even plan on using a DC (with VGA box) or ever any kind of upscaler (e.g. for using a SLG3000 scanline generator).
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
I'd appreciate it very much if you could. The demo doesn't have them which leaves me a bit worried as I could not get it to display properly TATEd on my TV thanks to the offset it has.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ok, wrote it in my mem on my phone so I don't forget this time. I'll throw it on when I get home in a couple hours.

Ok, spamming the Questions thread.

I am running Shmupmame v3, and I have had no luck with Psikyo roms. They run, but they are slowing down a lot, and the music will desync. Now, I am running Raizing and Cave stuff (pre DOJ) just fine. Is it that Psikyo games are harder on the system?
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

I have a handful of questions but they're all related so hopefully someone can break it down real simple so my brain can get to grips with this.

I recently picked up a Sony KDL-40z4500 TV and I've been trying to calibrate it optimally for PS3, Blu-Ray and Xbox 360. I've noticed options across all three system menus that look like they're the same thing but they use different terminology.

For example, on the PS3 there are settings for "RGB Dynamic Range" (limited or full), on the 360 it's "HDMI Reference Levels" (normal, intermediate, full), and on my TV it's "Colour Space" normal or wide. As I understand this is the difference between the full 000-255 (full) or 016-235 (limited). Are they all the same? Any ideas why all the calibration advice I've read online advise keeping it set to limited?

Sorry if I've got some of the terminology wrong -- I'm doing this from memory.

Cheers.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

RGB Dynamic Range on the PS3 and HDMI Rerence Level on the 360 are the same, but Color Space on your TV is something different. IIRC your TV does not have a manual choice for RGB level setting.

For videogames you should generally use full range RGB, unless your TV can't handle this properly. Color Space on your TV describes the color gamut your display will show. Normal with medium saturation has very natural colors, while "wide" offers a wider color spectrum, which can look weird on movies, but looks fantastic on animated movies and games.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

dunpeal2064 wrote: I am running Shmupmame v3, and I have had no luck with Psikyo roms. They run, but they are slowing down a lot, and the music will desync. Now, I am running Raizing and Cave stuff (pre DOJ) just fine. Is it that Psikyo games are harder on the system?
I'd be checking your Cave/Raizing games a bit more closely. The issues you have sound a lot like me trying to run the Raiden Fighters games with Shmupmame v3.0b (and the previous lagless builds for that matter), and if your specs are anything like my legacy PC specs which I was running these with, you're likely to have borderline performance on ESPRade and Battle Bakraid and most games from 1998 onwards.

Furthermore, for some reason the Psikyo games I've tried in Shmupmame are listed as having not 100% accurate video emulation so it could be that the older driver may not have had optimisations or something done to it yet, but I'm just speculating. I do believe they are a bit beefier for sure.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

BPzeBanshee wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:
I'd appreciate it very much if you could. The demo doesn't have them which leaves me a bit worried as I could not get it to display properly TATEd on my TV thanks to the offset it has.
In case you didn't get confirmation yet, I took a screenshot of the screen settings page that confirms the x and y settings.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Fudoh wrote:RGB Dynamic Range on the PS3 and HDMI Rerence Level on the 360 are the same, but Color Space on your TV is something different. IIRC your TV does not have a manual choice for RGB level setting.

For videogames you should generally use full range RGB, unless your TV can't handle this properly. Color Space on your TV describes the color gamut your display will show. Normal with medium saturation has very natural colors, while "wide" offers a wider color spectrum, which can look weird on movies, but looks fantastic on animated movies and games.
Got it, thanks.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Q: How the heck do I check the +5v/12v/-5v adjustment on my supergun using a multimeter? It is a Sigma AV7000, so it has a small screw to make the adjustments. I have never used a multimeter before... I'm clueless.

I'm assuming I do this while the thing is unplugged right? Because I would need to make contact points with the supergun's power-supply's plugs...
am I thinking along the right lines?

Thanks!
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

chempop wrote:Q: How the heck do I check the +5v/12v/-5v adjustment on my supergun using a multimeter? It is a Sigma AV7000, so it has a small screw to make the adjustments. I have never used a multimeter before... I'm clueless.

I'm assuming I do this while the thing is unplugged right? Because I would need to make contact points with the supergun's power-supply's plugs...
am I thinking along the right lines?

Thanks!
First use a battery to "get to know" your multimeter. Put the red pin on the + and the black on the - then see which function on the multimeter shows you the voltage you expect to see. Make a note of this.

Then put a PCB in your supergun's JAMMA connector. Power it on. Take the red pin and put it on the +5V pin on the game PCB's edge connector TIP FIRST AS TO NOT TOUCH ANY OTHER PIN BY ACCIDENT AT THE SAME TIME: http://www.thesupergun.com/wp-content/u ... pinout.png

When you're sure that you have a steady grip of the pin and it's held firmly against the +5V, take the black pin and touch it on the GND. If needed, adjust the voltage.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Thanks man, you rock!
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Omnicron

Post by Omnicron »

What is the power input specification for the xrgb2+? Need to know the volts, amps and plug polarity
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Ghegs wrote: In case you didn't get confirmation yet, I took a screenshot of the screen settings page that confirms the x and y settings.
Thanks Ghegs. Assuming Horizontal is like Raiden Project's gimmick Horizontal TATE mode that's probably the best options settings for a shmup ever.

I also note that the Japanese release has everything in English too - I suppose that means if those germans the DTP company actually publish this for PAL we won't have to worry about it being in some European language. :P
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

emphatic wrote:
rugdoctor wrote:I will start wiring up the uVC to scart and will post result soon :)
Exciting! 8)
It works! uVC to SCART to viletims adapter to PONY II:

too bad no joy on pvm :(

But :D none the less!

More details in blog...