Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SGGG2

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by SGGG2 »

Will a GBS-C accept 960p and other odd resolutions from an OSSC, while outputting 1080p?
hittheweights93

Post by hittheweights93 »

I'm attempting to convert a Mega Drive 2 to NTSC with proper 60Hz output, however it seems the subcarrier signal going into the RGB encoder chip (CXA1145, MB3514, etc) is still incorrect. It comes from the main 315-5XXX chip (5660) in my case from pin 130 but despite setting pin 46 high to run the chip in NTSC the colour burst when running out via composite is still messed up.

I understand that I can use a 4.33619MHz crystal to inject the correct signal but I feel this shouldn't be necessary given the Genesis 2 consoles can do this just fine given the exact same 315-5660 chip on them.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I'm looking for an HDMI to VGA or a DVI-D to VGA converter (for a PC, in Europe), is there any maker or model I should avoid? Any suggestion?

Thks.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Will the Retro GEM have sharper image quality for the Nintendo 64, Dreamcast and Wii than the N64Digital, DCDigital and WiiDual?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Ikaruga11 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:38 pm Will the Retro GEM have sharper image quality for the Nintendo 64, Dreamcast and Wii than the N64Digital, DCDigital and WiiDual?
WiiDual it will be a huge improvement over, since you'll go from 480p max to 1440p max if you get the more expensive GEM. The others will be identical.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

bobrocks95 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:53 pm
Ikaruga11 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:38 pm Will the Retro GEM have sharper image quality for the Nintendo 64, Dreamcast and Wii than the N64Digital, DCDigital and WiiDual?
WiiDual it will be a huge improvement over, since you'll go from 480p max to 1440p max if you get the more expensive GEM. The others will be identical.
I mean if you're playing the Wii with GEM at the same 480p resolution
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Ikaruga11 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:59 pm
bobrocks95 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:53 pm
I mean if you're playing the Wii with GEM at the same 480p resolution
The GEM may offer a slight edge on artificial scanlines? Not that you can do much with them in 480p. 480p raw output should be identical between the two. If you used GEM Shiny and for some reason kept it at 480p, you would get motion adaptive deinterlacing for 480i only titles. Don't see why you would pick it over say Electron Shepherd's AVE-HDMI kit if you're sticking with 480p.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I want to ask about scanline\CRT mask features in modern scalers... how are they made?

I mean for A. Grille filter, do the designer create the grill image as PNG then overlays it on top of the video?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

VEGETA wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:23 am I want to ask about scanline\CRT mask features in modern scalers... how are they made?

I mean for A. Grille filter, do the designer create the grill image as PNG then overlays it on top of the video?
No. They typically use shaders. They are post-processing effects that break down the image into smaller parts and then apply a specific amount of changes to things like brightness and contrast and hue, all kinds of things.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

vol.2 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:31 pm
VEGETA wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:23 am I want to ask about scanline\CRT mask features in modern scalers... how are they made?

No. They typically use shaders. They are post-processing effects that break down the image into smaller parts and then apply a specific amount of changes to things like brightness and contrast and hue, all kinds of things.
so are there standard shaders available and they are just getting them and use them?

or they make their own each time? if one wants to integrate them in his own design for example, how to do it? I believe retroarch has such stuff available. media players like mpv and others do have similar shaders.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

VEGETA wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:02 pm

so are there standard shaders available and they are just getting them and use them?

or they make their own each time? if one wants to integrate them in his own design for example, how to do it? I believe retroarch has such stuff available. media players like mpv and others do have similar shaders.
IIRC, it's typically done in OpenGL so that's they are independent of GPU architecture. You would have to roll it yourself, but there are most certainly sample projects out there you could start off with. There is a whole language just for coding shaders, glslang. https://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/tutoria ... pter_3.pdf
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

vol.2 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:39 pm
VEGETA wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:02 pm

IIRC, it's typically done in OpenGL so that's they are independent of GPU architecture. You would have to roll it yourself, but there are most certainly sample projects out there you could start off with. There is a whole language just for coding shaders, glslang. https://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/tutoria ... pter_3.pdf
it seems very complicated for the task.

I thought it could be an overlay or so. I ask this because I have an idea of 4k60 scaler which can do everything available and more except for such highly advanced custom crt masks. support company for the asic suggested making an image of the mask then overlay it on top of the video using on-screen menu feature which can get many layers and opacity.

they gave example of a grid effect which was perfect, but grid is not what we talk about here.

so I thought about maybe making lots of images for masks and put them on sdcard for the system to use, which opens the gate for unlimited community based masks. the image masks can be just black boarders of the mask itself or contain the rgb stripes\dots.

what do you think?
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Overlays are easy to implement and aren’t very resource intensive. They’re fine, but can’t compete with more advanced shaders.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

SGGG2 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:09 pm Overlays are easy to implement and aren’t very resource intensive. They’re fine, but can’t compete with more advanced shaders.
hmm I can't say you are wrong, but are these fpga based stuff doing shaders or some sort of overlays\line manipulation?

since my proposed design is using an asic, implementing shaders cannot happen internally and can't figure out how to do it externally either.

I hope one designer who actually done them can explain better.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

VEGETA wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:11 pm
SGGG2 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:09 pm Overlays are easy to implement and aren’t very resource intensive. They’re fine, but can’t compete with more advanced shaders.
hmm I can't say you are wrong, but are these fpga based stuff doing shaders or some sort of overlays\line manipulation?

since my proposed design is using an asic, implementing shaders cannot happen internally and can't figure out how to do it externally either.

AFAIK, shaders require a GPU to work, because they are implemented in the graphics pipeline. If the FPGA is sophisticated enough, it can emulate a GPU, and there should be some projects out there on GitHub that aim to do just that. Not having the appropriate background to roll it yourself from the ground up will most likely just limit you to working with FPGAs or ASICs that already have robust ecosystems you can draw from 🤷

As SGGG2 said, overlays don't really compete with shader-based filters. However, I use glslang shaders on my raspberry pi 4 running retroarch, so it doesn't take all that much power to have a usable implementation of shaders
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

vol.2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:54 pm
VEGETA wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:11 pm

AFAIK, shaders require a GPU to work, because they are implemented in the graphics pipeline. If the FPGA is sophisticated enough, it can emulate a GPU, and there should be some projects out there on GitHub that aim to do just that. Not having the appropriate background to roll it yourself from the ground up will most likely just limit you to working with FPGAs or ASICs that already have robust ecosystems you can draw from 🤷

As SGGG2 said, overlays don't really compete with shader-based filters. However, I use glslang shaders on my raspberry pi 4 running retroarch, so it doesn't take all that much power to have a usable implementation of shaders
well, the asic I know does not have shader capabilities but rather osd layers which can be overlayed ontop of the video itself. this is what they suggest.

how does tink4k and morph do these crt masks??

I saw in the live testing of tink4k that it does exactly as I said, which is overlay .bmp images on top of video.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

VEGETA wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:34 pm
well, the asic I know does not have shader capabilities but rather osd layers which can be overlayed ontop of the video itself. this is what they suggest.

how does tink4k and morph do these crt masks??

I saw in the live testing of tink4k that it does exactly as I said, which is overlay .bmp images on top of video.

tink4k is FPGA, and very expensive (he's tossing $1000 around right now), so it can conceivably do shaders, but IDK exactly what his implementation is. You can most likely get an answer from him on Twitter or maybe in the RT5X thread on this forum if he decides to post here again.

I don't think overlays can do true composite video or RF effects though. Like, I don't think that it would be possible to replicate the waterfall effects in Sonic without actual shader-based filters, so I can't imagine that Mike would bother implementing filters that can't do that? Idk, maybe he would, or maybe there are more advanced overlay techniques that I'm aware of

edit: I asked Mike, I'll lyk if he gets back to me

edit, edit: Mike says it's a combination of overlays and some more power hungry effects done in software. the scanlines are done with algorithms and so forth, but there's also a shadowmask overlay. He's basically supercharging the overylays with special sauce in order to make them look a lot better than just plain overlays would look
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

edit, edit: Mike says it's a combination of overlays and some more power hungry effects done in software. the scanlines are done with algorithms and so forth, but there's also a shadowmask overlay. He's basically supercharging the overylays with special sauce in order to make them look a lot better than just plain overlays would look
so it is mainly overlays but maybe different layers not one solid mask. I appreciate if someone uploads the .bmp files used as masks so we can see. maybe my asic can do the same or similar using overlays, and it also has built-in scanline effects (3 sizes). I asked them to make a grid overlay and they did it perfectly fine. I feel crt masks and effects will mature very soon with tink4k and morph, will be the same with all these scalers until becomes saturated with how many masks sets available online.

________

on another issue I have: I plan to get a Gamecube. My setup is just a trinitron CRT capable of NTSC and PAL, all my consoles via SCART RGB to an RGB2COMP converter then to the CRT via component cables.

I read that PAL Gamecube can use a scart cable directly without doing anything... so here are my main questions:

1- If I get the PAL gamecube, will it run NTSC games (assume it has swiss or mods) natively and outputs its native 60 frames 480i?
2- I need the easiest mod, since I am confused of how many are there. I know Swiss is a must but since I get it in sd2ps2 or so, why would I need anything else? why not just put the games on same sd as swiss via SP2 port? why need a picoboot for example. what is the easiest mod to have games without needing to remove the disc drive?

thanks
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

VEGETA wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:05 pm
so it is mainly overlays but maybe different layers not one solid mask. I appreciate if someone uploads the .bmp files used as masks so we can see. maybe my asic can do the same or similar using overlays, and it also has built-in scanline effects (3 sizes). I asked them to make a grid overlay and they did it perfectly fine. I feel crt masks and effects will mature very soon with tink4k and morph, will be the same with all these scalers until becomes saturated with how many masks sets available online.
Yes and no. He's doing an overlay for the shadowmask, but the scanlines and lcd effect are done with effects processing algorithms on the FPGA. It's not shaders though; I think it's more like if you were asking the CPU to do all the work of a GPU, but it's much more optimized for the tasks because you can design the FPGA to handle it's intended workload very optimally
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Has anybody built a matrix that objectively compares the capabilities of each of the various upscalers so that consumers can make informed decisions based on what they need?

I would love a rundown of OSSC Pro vs. Tink 4K vs. Morph. And I bet others would also like to see OSSC and Tink 5X.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Has anybody built a matrix that objectively compares the capabilities of each of the various upscalers so that consumers can make informed decisions based on what they need?

I would love a rundown of OSSC Pro vs. Tink 4K vs. Morph. And I bet others would also like to see OSSC and Tink 5X.
That's kind of tricky given that RT4k, Morph and OSSC Pro are not even out yet, though I'd been thinking on the same lines I might put something up on Artemo's wiki.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

BuckoA51 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:42 am That's kind of tricky given that RT4k, Morph and OSSC Pro are not even out yet, though I'd been thinking on the same lines I might put something up on Artemo's wiki.
There's nothing saying it can't be a living document, with footnotes to evidence. And the chart would change even after the products go live as new features are rolled out or nuance is discovered.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Are there any devices that can alter aspect ratios like the OSSC and RetroTink that have HDMI inputs and HDMI outputs? I'm looking to re-expand the raw framebuffer resolution of my WiiDual Wii back to 4:3 to avoid the blur introduced by the Wii's aspect ratio scaling, but want to keep it digital-to-digital.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Extron DSC-301, excellent scaling, 1 frame of lag. Around $80 on eBay. It’s possible to connect it to PC over USB where you have access to 125 customizable profiles.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Ikaruga11 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:45 pm Are there any devices that can alter aspect ratios like the OSSC and RetroTink that have HDMI inputs and HDMI outputs? I'm looking to re-expand the raw framebuffer resolution of my WiiDual Wii back to 4:3 to avoid the blur introduced by the Wii's aspect ratio scaling, but want to keep it digital-to-digital.
How does that happen on the WiiDual? I installed one a few years back, but I wasn't aware that it was doing scaling? If the Wii is set to output 4:3, is it scaling it down from 16:9?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

vol.2 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:36 pm
Ikaruga11 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:45 pm Are there any devices that can alter aspect ratios like the OSSC and RetroTink that have HDMI inputs and HDMI outputs? I'm looking to re-expand the raw framebuffer resolution of my WiiDual Wii back to 4:3 to avoid the blur introduced by the Wii's aspect ratio scaling, but want to keep it digital-to-digital.
How does that happen on the WiiDual? I installed one a few years back, but I wasn't aware that it was doing scaling? If the Wii is set to output 4:3, is it scaling it down from 16:9?
They're talking about the option in USBLoaderGX and other launchers that lets you output the framebuffer exactly how it is in its original aspect ratio. The system would then stretch it (usually it was too narrow) to 4:3
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Can somebody message an Admin at neo-geo.com and tell them their email confirmation system for new accounts isn't working?

I'm trying to register over there and haven't received an email so I can't post.

I have a bad multicart and I figure I'll find more knowledgeable people on the subject over there.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

bobrocks95 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:42 pm They're talking about the option in USBLoaderGX and other launchers that lets you output the framebuffer exactly how it is in its original aspect ratio. The system would then stretch it (usually it was too narrow) to 4:3
Aha. Thanks
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

BazookaBen wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:37 pm I have a bad multicart and I figure I'll find more knowledgeable people on the subject over there.
Good luck keeping your sanity in that place if you happen to get access.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

BazookaBen wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:37 pm Can somebody message an Admin at neo-geo.com and tell them their email confirmation system for new accounts isn't working?

I'm trying to register over there and haven't received an email so I can't post.

I have a bad multicart and I figure I'll find more knowledgeable people on the subject over there.
I tried registering there in 2021 and I got this email:
Dear VEGETA,

Unfortunately your registration at Neo-Geo Forums did not meet our membership requirements. Therefore your registration was deleted.

Sorry,
Neo-Geo Forums
forums deny registrations is simply stupid.