Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xer Xian

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Xer Xian »

The 1T-C2-750 will do it too, tho it's not as flashy :) I see quite a few hdmi switches with declared PiP support but I would not trust most of them..
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Stainomo wrote:Can anyone advice on on a simple device which can realize the following Picture in Picture situation?

2x HDMI - in 1x out
Lag does not matter (not for fast gaming)

A lot of Chinese devices do Picture-in-Picture but hardly any devices which show what kind of configuration they actually support.
What's your use case?
We apologise for the inconvenience
Stainomo

Post by Stainomo »

orange808 wrote:
What's your use case?
Picture 1 Streaming or TV
Picture 2 Zwift => virtual cycling

Maybe a game but not a retro game :)

Thanks for all the recommendations, i hoped to realize this for a low amount of money and using HDMI, that would fit my setup fine. Will try to find some reviews of some of those cheaper devices on ebay/aliexpress.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

I have a question about switch modified 32x’s if anyone can understand what I’m rambling about :oops:

Would a 50/60hz modified PAL 32x (set to 60hz) used in conjunction with a NTSC genesis suffer from an off spec refresh rate like a modified PAL Megadrive? Does the genesis or the 32x dictate the video refresh?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I bought a Behar Bros Toro a while ago as the best solution to get my Dreamcast to SCART. I've since replaced it with an HDMI adapter so no longer need the Toro. Is there a way to convert it to something more useful, like a Garo? Does the Taro only have the 3 or 4 pin input that takes the Dreamcast connector?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

ldeveraux wrote:I bought a Behar Bros Toro a while ago as the best solution to get my Dreamcast to SCART. I've since replaced it with an HDMI adapter so no longer need the Toro. Is there a way to convert it to something more useful, like a Garo? Does the Taro only have the 3 or 4 pin input that takes the Dreamcast connector?
in theory you could use the toro as a standalone sync combiner, but the only input it has is indeed the header for the dreamcast pigtail

you would be much better off selling the toro on ebay if you no longer wish to use it, the behar boxes hold their value incredibly well
Last edited by maxtherabbit on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

ldeveraux wrote:I bought a Behar Bros Toro a while ago as the best solution to get my Dreamcast to SCART. I've since replaced it with an HDMI adapter so no longer need the Toro. Is there a way to convert it to something more useful, like a Garo? Does the Taro only have the 3 or 4 pin input that takes the Dreamcast connector?
You used to be able to buy an extra cable for the Toro, think with a VGA cable on the usually-Dreamcast side, which would then let you use it as a VGA (RGBHV) to RGBS converter (with the same scanline features it already has built in I think).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Do you mean use the Toro for sync processing with something other than the Dreamcast? Sure. All of the BeharBros products are effectively generic devices that will understand RGBS and RGBHV, and that they're simply bundled with adapters with Dreamcast connectors.

I don't think there's anything stopping you from using the BeharBros converters/sync processors with other consoles/devices, as long as you can get or make the requisite dongle and limit yourself to RGBS or RGBHV at 480p max. You could very well chain one of these devices to the output from a switcher (for example, Extron SW VGA, gscartsw, Hydra). A Toro would be able to take RGBS and RGBHV sources up to 480p and output RGBS over SCART and RGBS/RGBHV over DE-15, while a Gekko/Akura would be able to get you those video modes over HDMI.

I know BeharBros at least used to make DE-15 input dongles (there's an older-style one in the photo for their SLR), so you might be able to get one that fits the Toro by emailing BeharBros. Alternatively, you could try your hand at making your own input adapter; I'm pretty sure they use off-the-shelf 2x5 1mm pitch headers (but do measure before you start buying parts).
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Thanks all for the advise regarding the Toro with other consoles! (Consequently, how in the world do I multi quote on this forum??)

I've sent an inquiry to Behar Bros asking if they still have adapters, or are willing to exchange. If not, I'm willing to make my own VGA adapter. The only reason I asked initially was because it's just sitting there gathering dust.

I also have a RetroTink 2x that I haven't found use for yet, is that better than anything I'd get from the Toro/Garo? If most of my systems are SCART into OSSC, where is the greatest impact for a RT2x? I only have 2 non RGB/SCART consoles in my setup; A composite Atari 7800 and a Wii that is component.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

ldeveraux wrote:Thanks all for the advise regarding the Toro with other consoles! (Consequently, how in the world do I multi quote on this forum??)
You simply want the [ quote ] and [ / quote ] (without spaces) to be on each person's quote you want to quote. You can quote my reply to see the code of how it's done.

ldeveraux wrote:I also have a RetroTink 2x that I haven't found use for yet, is that better than anything I'd get from the Toro/Garo? If most of my systems are SCART into OSSC, where is the greatest impact for a RT2x? I only have 2 non RGB/SCART consoles in my setup; A composite Atari 7800 and a Wii that is component.
It's my understanding the RetroTINK 2x, when used with the OSSC, is specifically for those Composite and S-Video systems (in your case the Atari 7800) which can't natively hook up to the OSSC because the OSSC can't take those connection types (OSSC can take component itself).

I believe people run a chain like: Composite/S-Video console > RetroTINK 2x > HDMI to VGA adapter off the RetroTINK 2x > OSSC's VGA in > OSSC's HDMI out to your TV. Something like this will then let you use Composite and S-Video consoles through the OSSC to your flatscreen.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:I also have a RetroTink 2x that I haven't found use for yet, is that better than anything I'd get from the Toro/Garo? If most of my systems are SCART into OSSC, where is the greatest impact for a RT2x? I only have 2 non RGB/SCART consoles in my setup; A composite Atari 7800 and a Wii that is component.
It's my understanding the RetroTINK 2x, when used with the OSSC, is specifically for those Composite and S-Video systems (in your case the Atari 7800) which can't natively hook up to the OSSC because the OSSC can't take those connection types (OSSC can take component itself).

I believe people run a chain like: Composite/S-Video console > RetroTINK 2x > HDMI to VGA adapter off the RetroTINK 2x > OSSC's VGA in > OSSC's HDMI out to your TV. Something like this will then let you use Composite and S-Video consoles through the OSSC to your flatscreen.
Pretty much this, since there aren't any other readily-available, 240p-capable RGB decoders on the market right now. Would be nice if the OSSC could take these connections natively, or maybe an RT2X-like device with analogue RGBS output baked into one of those component/S-Video injectors for SCART. I think the only thing we still don't really have a solution for is RF.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I have a Mega Everdrive x7 on a USA/NTSC Genesis model 1. I'm trying to play a Japan game (Golden Axe III), and when I boot the game it gives me this error: "this cartridge has been developed for use outside north and south america. It cannot be used with hardware units for sale within these areas".

What's the best way to bypass this? Japan is NTSC-J and should play in 60Hz I believe (would like to know if I can play PAL 50Hz games as well - my CRT is compatible). Google says you can sometimes patch the rom, or use Game Genie codes, or use Megakey? None of the options (by pressing "C" on the rom) do anything - still get the error.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

From where Beharbros (https://www.beharbros.com/) ships their DC boxes? Delivering to Europe will it stop at customs?
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

I never got around to picking up a remote for my Faroudja VP250, so I'd like to know if there's any other special functions or features I'm missing out on?

Also are there good page sources on the Extron Andora or Videon Omega One? I understand these both have some of the best line double processing on the market.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Dochartaigh wrote:I have a Mega Everdrive x7 on a USA/NTSC Genesis model 1. I'm trying to play a Japan game (Golden Axe III), and when I boot the game it gives me this error: "this cartridge has been developed for use outside north and south america. It cannot be used with hardware units for sale within these areas".

What's the best way to bypass this? Japan is NTSC-J and should play in 60Hz I believe (would like to know if I can play PAL 50Hz games as well - my CRT is compatible). Google says you can sometimes patch the rom, or use Game Genie codes, or use Megakey? None of the options (by pressing "C" on the rom) do anything - still get the error.
Everdrive's Megakey feature doesn't work properly with some games or models (like clones).
Try removing the 32X if it's attached.

Patches or Game Genie codes can skip the error messages. Expect glitches in games that are specially optimized for PAL.

The console's native region is set internally and cannot be altered via the cartridge slot.
Even authentic PAL games become NTSC 60Hz when played on a Genesis.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Overkill wrote:From where Beharbros (https://www.beharbros.com/) ships their DC boxes? Delivering to Europe will it stop at customs?
Likely. Yosi replied and said it wasn't worth it to exchange my Toro for a Garo due to shipping costs. So either that or he can't be bothered to do it...
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

theclaw wrote:Everdrive's Megakey feature doesn't work properly with some games or models (like clones).
Try removing the 32X if it's attached.

Patches or Game Genie codes can skip the error messages. Expect glitches in games that are specially optimized for PAL.

The console's native region is set internally and cannot be altered via the cartridge slot.
Even authentic PAL games become NTSC 60Hz when played on a Genesis.
Thanks. Seems like if I enter the Game Genie codes for region bypass, they're saved even if I turn the console on and off (haven't removed the Mega Everdrive cart and reinserted it but have a feeling they'll still be saved).

So tell me more about PAL. I honestly can't think of any PAL-only region games off the top of my head, but if those 50Hz games were played in 60Hz on my NTSC console - would they be sped-up or whatnot? I think I remember my NTSC SNES will actually switch to 50Hz mode - which I can likewise see on the OSD on my CRT monitor (or maybe it was my PSIO on PS1? - I forget to be honest), but it seems like the Genesis is ALWAYS 60Hz no matter what you play on it since it's a NTSC console like you said.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Overkill wrote:From where Beharbros (https://www.beharbros.com/) ships their DC boxes? Delivering to Europe will it stop at customs?
BeharBros is based in and ships from Turkey.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Dochartaigh wrote:So tell me more about PAL. I honestly can't think of any PAL-only region games off the top of my head, but if those 50Hz games were played in 60Hz on my NTSC console - would they be sped-up or whatnot? I think I remember my NTSC SNES will actually switch to 50Hz mode - which I can likewise see on the OSD on my CRT monitor (or maybe it was my PSIO on PS1? - I forget to be honest), but it seems like the Genesis is ALWAYS 60Hz no matter what you play on it since it's a NTSC console like you said.
Yeah they would be sped up. I am not sure if there are any PAL exclusives worth playing that are optimized for 50hz though.. maybe Micro Machines? The genesis has a bunch of region settings that are built into the circuitry, the only way to change them is with a region mod (e.g. the switchless region mod) which allows you to switch between PAL (English/50hz), JP NTSC (Japanese/60hz) and US NTSC (English/60hz). Some games that were JP/EUR exclusives such as Alien Soldier and Zero Wing have 60hz patches that allow for playing in 60hz mode with English language.

The Playstation does switch between 50/60hz when playing different region games.. I don't think the SNES will unless you have a SuperCIC mod.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Systems until the 5th generation are usually that way.
Playstation had software 50/60hz switching, but for comparison Saturn doesn't.

Zero Wing isn't region locked. I'm not sure about PAL optimizations.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Can anybody quickly update me on the state of Analogue's SNES & MD FPGA clone consoles?

I've always been happy that they're around in the sense that when one day my 1-CHIP and my Model 1 fail I'll have an in-production alternative to hunting down the right revision of a ~30 years old system and then begin the work anew of restoring them and fixing whatever reliability and A/V quality ailments they have. But right now, I have a perfectly good way of playing SNES & MD games, so I'd need another incentive to pick up one of Analogue's systems.

Did they receive any interesting firmware updates? Are there NES/GB/SMS cores for them? Can the MD one play 32X/CD games? Anything like that happening? How are people generally feeling about these two consoles, all bugs fixed?
blackrabite

Post by blackrabite »

Hey I asked this in a PS360+ thread before it fell down a few pages, so I hope it's not too much trouble for me to ask again here!

If I just wanted to multiconsole my MadCatz TE2 360 stick for 360 & Saturn, is PS360+ the only option that can actually satisfy this, however gracefully? Trying to get something sorted to hook up the stick I have to my Saturn but still have access to shmups etc on the 360. I figure the only other good option is to just replace the TE PCB with a PSX controller's and then use adapters (already have PSX > 360).

Thank you for any feedback!
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

I have a few VGA -> BNC cables. But in a few instances I could really use BNC > VGA. Is there anything needed in-line, or can I just get some female BNC connectors and a D-Sub15 connector and wire it up?
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

ASDR wrote:Can anybody quickly update me on the state of Analogue's SNES & MD FPGA clone consoles?

I've always been happy that they're around in the sense that when one day my 1-CHIP and my Model 1 fail I'll have an in-production alternative to hunting down the right revision of a ~30 years old system and then begin the work anew of restoring them and fixing whatever reliability and A/V quality ailments they have. But right now, I have a perfectly good way of playing SNES & MD games, so I'd need another incentive to pick up one of Analogue's systems.

Did they receive any interesting firmware updates? Are there NES/GB/SMS cores for them? Can the MD one play 32X/CD games? Anything like that happening? How are people generally feeling about these two consoles, all bugs fixed?
The MD one hasn't shipped yet, so it'll be hard to give solid answers. It's compatible with an original Sega CD by edge connector, no mention of 32X, but it comes with an SMS adapter. There'll be adapters for: Mark III, Game Gear, Sega MyCard, SG-1000 & SC-3000 as well available separately.

No special cores for the SNES at this time. There are a few remaining issues, but if I remember correctly they're all game-specific and obscure. Overall it's a nice little system.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

DejahThoris wrote: The MD one hasn't shipped yet, so it'll be hard to give solid answers. It's compatible with an original Sega CD by edge connector, no mention of 32X, but it comes with an SMS adapter. There'll be adapters for: Mark III, Game Gear, Sega MyCard, SG-1000 & SC-3000 as well available separately.

No special cores for the SNES at this time. There are a few remaining issues, but if I remember correctly they're all game-specific and obscure. Overall it's a nice little system.
Thanks! I'm really out of the loop, thought the MD clone was already out :D

Yeah, I'd love for these systems to offer a little extra. I never wanted to bother with the NES hardware so if the SNES console would have a NES core available, that would be very interesting for me. I also didn't want to deal with the 32X and yet another CD based system, so if the MD console had an ODE & would implement the 32X on the FPGA that would also be a big plus. Seems like a real shame for those two systems to not go a little further, if they really don't do anything else than the original consoles I already own, no reason to buy. I guess I'll keep an eye on the MiSTer project then.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Dochartaigh wrote:
You used to be able to buy an extra cable for the Toro, think with a VGA cable on the usually-Dreamcast side, which would then let you use it as a VGA (RGBHV) to RGBS converter (with the same scanline features it already has built in I think).
I asked Yossi specifically that and his one word response was "NO." My Toro is just sitting there, I don't really want to sell it, any clue how to make an adapter?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

ldeveraux wrote:I asked Yossi specifically that and his one word response was "NO." My Toro is just sitting there, I don't really want to sell it, any clue how to make an adapter?
One of the other guys posting about this I thought posted what the connection type on the Toro was - so you can grab one of those connectors and solder the correct wires to a VGA plug if you really wanted to - you would have to lookup the pinout diagram to make sure it matches up correctly.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DejahThoris wrote:I have a few VGA -> BNC cables. But in a few instances I could really use BNC > VGA. Is there anything needed in-line, or can I just get some female BNC connectors and a D-Sub15 connector and wire it up?
Those cables aren't directional like SCART, so you should be able to use them for both applications.
geiger9

Post by geiger9 »

I have an A/V Famicom that a friend of mine is installing Tim Worthington's RGB NES mod in. I also bought the component board for it. He has the mod installed but is trying to hook up this Famicom to his Framemeister using a d-sub -> component adapter. Will this work? I think I know the answer but I want to check with the experts.

Edit: Help me clarify something - when we talk about 240p over component, are we saying it's the cable that is the problem or is the format? Am I right in saying there is a difference between 240p RGB through component cables VS 240p YPbPr through component cables?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

geiger9 wrote:I have an A/V Famicom that a friend of mine is installing Tim Worthington's RGB NES mod in. I also bought the component board for it. He has the mod installed but is trying to hook up this Famicom to his Framemeister using a d-sub -> component adapter. Will this work? I think I know the answer but I want to check with the experts.
Doubtful. The AV Famicom doesn't have DE-15 output, and the Framemeister doesn't have 3x RCA input for YPbPr component; so, your friend would need to somehow get from a Nintendo AV-Multi-out to DE-15 and then from 3x RCA to D-Terminal in order for it to work.

If he wants to verify RGB, he'll need either a straight-through (no components) SNES/GC SCART cable (assuming he got the SCART adapter for his Framemeister), or a custom Nintendo AV Multi-out on one end and 8-pin mini-DIN on the other; and, if he wants to verify YPbPr component, he'll need to go from 3.5mm TRRS (the jack that ships with the NESRGB component kit) to D-terminal, or 3.5mm TRRS to 3x RCA and then use a 3x RCA to D-Terminal adapter.
geiger9 wrote:Help me clarify something - when we talk about 240p over component, are we saying it's the cable that is the problem or is the format? Am I right in saying there is a difference between 240p RGB through component cables VS 240p YPbPr through component cables?
Generally, it's the resolution that's the problem. Most video processors, including those in displays, don't like 240p because it's technically an abuse of 480i, which causes them to either mistakenly treat it as 480i and inappropriately apply deinterlacing or just outright not sync to it (Mode unsupported).

As for 240p RGB vs YPbPr, you'll only ever see 240p YPbPr from the PS2/PS3 playing PS1 games (or the rare occasion when a PS2 game has an emulated game in 240p) or the rare occasion when a GameCube game outputs 240p (old game collections, like Legend of Zelda and Megaman); and you'll likely never see 240p RGB over component cables, because that would need to be RGsB, which we've only ever seen for 480p+ on the PS2--240p RGB has always been RGBS over something like SCART or, to a far lesser extent, DE-15/VGA.