Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xer Xian

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Xer Xian »

Does anyone here own a Naomi cartridge that's been converted to another game (gd-rom based)? Is there any difference with respect to the original gd-rom? Can you save your progress in the game? Anything one must be aware of before buying one - maybe feeding a higher voltage to some components like in the case of some multicarts/everdrive? Anything?
youngmoneySWE

Post by youngmoneySWE »

Hi!

I bought a new monitor a while back and it only has HDMI-input. I have a few old consoles (AV Famicom, SFC, Mega Drive and more) that I would like to play - is there a good converter out there for this? HDMI to scart?

I'm not very picky with the absolute optimal scaling/sound/whatever. If there is a multi-purpose converter for all my trouble that has a decent price tag I'll settle for it.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

youngmoneySWE wrote:is there a good converter out there for this? HDMI to scart?
SCART to HDMI converters exist and are relatively cheap. You can find them easily on Amazon.

Just be sure you pay attention to the correct direction, as they are typically unidirectional: a SCART to HDMI converter will accomplish what you want, but an HDMI to SCART converter won't.
youngmoneySWE

Post by youngmoneySWE »

Ah yes, you are correct of course ^_~ But most of them are rather solid and don't have severe input lag or anything like that?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Your best bets for performance and quality (at the cost of...cost) are the Open Source Scan Converter and the Micomsoft Framemeister. There are threads dedicated to both here in the Hardware forum.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

youngmoneySWE wrote:Ah yes, you are correct of course ^_~ But most of them are rather solid and don't have severe input lag or anything like that?
check here: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ (scroll down, down...)
The HDV 8S (HD Video Converter Scart / HDMI) might do it.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
youngmoneySWE

Post by youngmoneySWE »

Can't seem to find that specific one Xyga! Do you think this one would work instead?

https://www.deltaco.se/produkter/deltac ... CART-HDMI1

(sorry, Swedish website)

Costs about 90 or so Euro.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The square black one (good) exists under different sub-brands apparenly, like Linkfor, Vcando, Elephas, Mcbazel, Gam3Gear, Flylink, Zilong...

I can't talk about the other one you linked, but I find it expensive as it probably doesn't offer better quality and possibly worse (decent quality is rare
youngmoneySWE

Post by youngmoneySWE »

Okay, I'll see if I can track down a sub-brand then. Thanks!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Good luck, but really beware that the OSSC set the standard so high that pretty much everything else below it now is technically a waste of money IMHO.

(well, it's good if you find that square converter for like 30~50 zeni at most, but if you spend like 100 it'll be a waste)
youngmoneySWE

Post by youngmoneySWE »

Yeah I can see that, but OSSC seems pricy and again I'll be happy with going for budget options for the time being.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

1. Do any PS2 revisions have better RGB output or audio than other PS2s?
2. Can you restore the iLink port and HDD functionality to a PS2 Slim?
3. Can I import a Japanese PS2 and play it in the USA without any issues?
4. What is the best PS2 model? Any pros/cons to the fat vs. the slim?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

How much input lag does the HD Fury Linker add? (searched online but couldn't find an answer).

Also while we're at it : just how good is it's upscaling? (I don't require integer scaling, I'm fine with interpolation as long as the algoritm does a very good job)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
orange808

Post by orange808 »

FinalBaton wrote:How much input lag does the HD Fury Linker add? (searched online but couldn't find an answer).

Also while we're at it : just how good is it's upscaling? (I don't require integer scaling, I'm fine with interpolation as long as the algoritm does a very good job)
Virtually no lag. Does not upscale anything but standard 1080p (does NOT accept OSSC linex5). Looks better if you force RGB color space in the software. Scaling is clean without ringing. The consensus is that it uses internal 4:2:0 chroma.

You might not need one. Remember that it doesn't upscale OSSC output. It's only worth buying if you have an upscaler in the chain to get proper standard 1080p timing and your 4k display has really bad blurry/slow upscaling.
We apologise for the inconvenience
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

orange808 wrote:Virtually no lag. Does not upscale anything but standard 1080p (does NOT accept OSSC linex5). Looks better if you force RGB color space in the software. Scaling is clean without ringing. The consensus is that it uses internal 4:2:0 chroma.

You might not need one. Remember that it doesn't upscale OSSC output. It's only worth buying if you have an upscaler in the chain to get proper standard 1080p timing and your 4k display has really bad blurry/slow upscaling.
It's actually just for PS3, I don't plan on buying an OSSC. I play all my retro consoles on a CRT exclusively

A tv I'm looking at has 22ms input lag for 4k sources, but 45ms for 1080p sources. So I was looking into this to get my PS3 to have the lower lag figure, since 45ms is too much for me.

Thanks for the input! appreciated
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

FinalBaton wrote:
orange808 wrote:Virtually no lag. Does not upscale anything but standard 1080p (does NOT accept OSSC linex5). Looks better if you force RGB color space in the software. Scaling is clean without ringing. The consensus is that it uses internal 4:2:0 chroma.

It's actually just for PS3, I don't plan on buying an OSSC. I play all my retro consoles on a CRT exclusively

A tv I'm looking at has 22ms input lag for 4k sources, but 45ms for 1080p sources. So I was looking into this to get my PS3 to have the lower lag figure, since 45ms is too much for me.

Thanks for the input! appreciated
Keep in mind that a number of PS3 games will only output in 720p.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

bobrocks95 wrote:Keep in mind that a number of PS3 games will only output in 720p.
Ah! I had forgotten about that.

Can ps1 games played on ps3, be upscaled to 1080p though?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

FinalBaton wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Keep in mind that a number of PS3 games will only output in 720p.
Ah! I had forgotten about that.

Can ps1 games played on ps3, be upscaled to 1080p though?
yes
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Xer Xian wrote:I've bridged the green power on cable with ground on an ATX psu I have here. When I plug it to the wall the fan spins for maybe half a second and then it stops. No voltage coming from the pins. Is it dead or what?
Turns out this PSU has a minimum load requirement to be met (link), that's probably why it shuts down instantly. I've read about using a dummy load to get around this, essentially it implies soldering a resistor to each line. Resistor should have ohm equal to voltage / minimum amperage and watt/dissipation equal to about 1.5 voltage times minimum amperage of the line. What a pain just to test out a PSU. If I install the resistors then will they permanently lower the max power output of each line?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

has anyone ever heard of a PS2 that will only output in black and white, or is this seller just dumb lol?

they claim the console works perfectly but only plays in black and white... this is a 39001 with the warranty sticker intact

NTSC U/C, american seller(, I assume american games?)

my first thought was using CVBS plugged into component Y port on TV or vice versa, but I didn't know if maybe there was a known issue here?
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Never encountered that before (and I've dealt with hundreds of PS2s). Seller is likely just an idiot.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:has anyone ever heard of a PS2 that will only output in black and white, or is this seller just dumb lol?

they claim the console works perfectly but only plays in black and white... this is a 39001 with the warranty sticker intact

NTSC U/C, american seller(, I assume american games?)

my first thought was using CVBS plugged into component Y port on TV or vice versa, but I didn't know if maybe there was a known issue here?
CVBS connected to Y and Y connected but not Pb or Pr will exhibit this black-and-white-only behavior; certainly sounds like user error.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

I think I've seen similar thing on a display that doesn't support the TV standard. NTSC on a TV that only does PAL for example, was a while ago so I could be mistaken.
sqturn2k

Post by sqturn2k »

sqturn2k wrote:At first I posted on the XRGB-Mini thread but I discovered it's not related to the mini, so I post it here.

I bought a new psp for it's tv out (it's a 3k) and I have some issues. I use a third-party component cable.

With the XRGB-Mini I have some "extra garbage" on the top, on the PSP Menu. Also the screen is shaking, and some game have black screen or heavy shaking at certain moments.

I will talk about the XMB menu because it's easier to explain :

It seem related to the colors and types of the theme I use :?: :
Some of it make the menu perfect without any issues (no shaking very clear without any issues)
Some make the screen do like a resolution switch (2-3 seconds)
Some make the screen shake
Some make the whole screen black and I need to change the theme color to have an image again.

At first I wrongly thought that my TV (using component input) didn't have issues, but discovering the theme thing made me discover that my TV also have problems.
On my TV the shaking can even be worse and the whole menu is slowed down in top of that.
And the same strange thing, on certain colors the shaking/slowdown stop, on others it's very problematic.

Do you think it's a faulty cable or a faulty console ? Something I can do ? :(
I'm happy to say it was a faulty cable. The new one (bought an official this time just to be sure) works without issues with the Framemeister. 8)
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Totally not video game related, but how do people in the USA ship packages to countries like the UK? I'm trying to get a quote for a fellow forum member for a 5.5 pound package (maybe 12x12x10") and between USPS, FedEx, and UPS, the cheapest quote I got online was $69, next cheapest was $189...I have to be missing something here...

The last package I got from the UK weighed 2.5 pounds and was literally $8 shipping...
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Dochartaigh wrote:Totally not video game related, but how do people in the USA ship packages to countries like the UK? I'm trying to get a quote for a fellow forum member for a 5.5 pound package (maybe 12x12x10") and between USPS, FedEx, and UPS, the cheapest quote I got online was $69, next cheapest was $189...I have to be missing something here...

The last package I got from the UK weighed 2.5 pounds and was literally $8 shipping...
Yep...unfortunately that's how it is and for me it's been like it for some years. I stopped importing vinyl from USA because of this too, add the customs charges on top and I might as well dig my own grave :D
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

So. There was the discovery back a bunch of months ago that the Everdrives were sending too much voltage or something (have no idea what exactly. but it was something about voltages). And that got fixed I think

My question is : does the Super UFO Pro 8 has the same problem regarding voltage? If if so can it REALLY damage your system? or is it more of a being-overtly-cautious thing? And can this cart hurt the console in any other way? Am I better off buying a Super EverDrive?

I'm looking into those since I'm a cheap bastard and those cart play everything I need to play on SFC. And the rom dumping feature is kinda fun.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The issue is kinda the other way around.
The flashcarts have 3.3v chips recieving 5v signals from the console.
While it can work fine it's always going to pose a threat to the cart which could damage the console if it fails.

A translation circuit is the correct way to do this.

It's pretty easy to spot 3v to 5v translation circuits once you have seen a few.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Syntax wrote:The issue is kinda the other way around.
While it can work fine it's always going to pose a threat to the cart which could damage the console if it fails.

It's pretty easy to spot 3v to 5v translation circuits once you have seen a few.
thanks for the explanation Syntax! appreciated. now, regarding my question : does the Super UFO Pro 8 have 5v chips? and were the Everdrive fixed?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

FinalBaton wrote:
Syntax wrote:The issue is kinda the other way around.

thanks for the explanation Syntax! appreciated. now, regarding my question : does the Super UFO Pro 8 have 5v chips? and were the Everdrive fixed?
according to dbelectronics' website, Mega Everdrive x5 and SD2SNES are good to go, the others IDK