shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:57 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202 ... 217  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:39 pm 

Kez wrote:
The manual on Philips' site seems to suggest that CVI replaces AV1 when a component source is connected.

I read that too, and I think I found the solution. I had to turn on the PS3 first and then turn on the TV. For whatever, the input didn't switch when I had the TV on first. Weird.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:26 am 

I can post on the Krikzz forums, but I assume I'm just doing something stupid. I get this error when using my N8/NES Everdrive for the first time (first time ever using one of these actually):

So I go to the Krikzz.com site and look at the OS files - the readme with all the OS files links me to a forum post saying that I don't need a OS installed on a newer unit (I got this from Amazon, Krikzz started selling them there so I assume it's brand net)....but since I get the above error when I just dumb my roms onto a SD card in a folder, I download the newest OS and put it in the root of the SD card (which is a SanDisk 16gb Ultra formatted FAT32), and still get that error... Any help?

*EDIT* Try a second micro SD card (and micro to standard SD card adapter), a Samsung Evo 32gb, format it FAT32, end get an "Error: 44" SD Initialization error...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:01 am 

I've found the EDSD folder must be the first thing you put on the SD card, then your ROMs 2nd for best stability.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/FBXGargoyle?lang=en

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:40 am 

FBX wrote:
I've found the EDSD folder must be the first thing you put on the SD card, then your ROMs 2nd for best stability.

Yup, found that out a little bit ago - they said put it in the root, so by "it" I thought that meant the CONTENTS of the folder...not the folder itself. I told you guys it was something stupid ;) - thanks. Doesn't like my romset either - does like pleasuredome's no-intro I think which I'll have to filter into my favorite games when I get a chance.

While I'm in the random questions thread, have you guys ever seen jitter from a front loading NES only on the bottom of the image? Like this:

https://youtu.be/JktCpot7n6w

Weirdest thing I've ever seen in regards to this (I've had it on PVM's which need their deflection boards recapped, but it's always the entire image which jumps up and down - never seen it on only a well-defined part of the image). I've ruled out the monitor and the game - 2x other NES's work perfectly on the same TV with the same power supply and cables.

Think I should recap the power caps on the NES? (think those are the usual culprits on these).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 pm 

That Panasonic with VHS looks awesome.
I dont know how popular it is around the globe, but never saw one around here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:02 pm 

I'm looking to get an RGB SCART cable for the Wii.

Since the Wii only outputs sync-on-composite, will I see any composite artifacts with this cable?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:53 pm 

ross wrote:

Since the Wii only outputs sync-on-composite, will I see any composite artifacts with this cable?

I'd say it's possible, would be better off with this cable:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/NINTENDO-WII-PACKAPUNCH-PRO-RGB-SCART-CABLE?search=Wii

But they're not in stock :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:13 pm 

arithmaldor wrote:
ross wrote:

I'd say it's possible, would be better off with this cable:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/NINTENDO-WII-PACKAPUNCH-PRO-RGB-SCART-CABLE?search=Wii

But they're not in stock :(
On the one hand, it's probably worth it.

On the other, I don't think I'm willing to spend nearly €40 (with shipping) on a SCART cable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:16 pm 

I moved into a place recently where the living room has a wall covered completely in shelving, with a cutout and wall mount in the center for TV that will comfortably fit something along the lines of a 43" LCD (49" might be pushing it). Unfortunately, I'm looking at one of the 55" P-series TCLs, which most definitely won't fit in this space.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mount with a bracket that can hold the TV out from the wall about 18" (adjustable depth is fine)? Dochartaigh said in this post that the mounting points are on the lower portion of the display, so I'm thinking I might also need one of those offset mounting plates that can hold the TV lower.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:19 pm 

ross wrote:

I'm going to say no. RetroGamingCables is one of the best cable makers, so even their non-premium stuff is going to be great.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:52 pm 

Does the Sony BVM-D14H5U support medium res?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:45 am 

DejahThoris wrote:

As in 24khz? No Sony PVM/BVM does that which I know of. Just 240p, 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i (and all their PAL equivalents).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:

As in 24khz? No Sony PVM/BVM does that which I know of. Just 240p, 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i (and all their PAL equivalents).

Ah, lame. I'm picking one up soon and was hoping it did. Guess I'm still hunting something to play the few 24khz Sharp 68k games on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:06 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:

I'm pretty sure multiformat PVM/BVMs can do any resolution between 240p and 1080i. It's not strictly limited to 240p, 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:09 pm 

GeneraLight wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:

I'm pretty sure multiformat PVM/BVMs can do any resolution between 240p and 1080i. It's not strictly limited to 240p, 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

Hmmmm. Conflicting information then. Hopefully someone with a medium res arcade board can chime in with personal experience.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:47 pm 

GeneraLight wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:

Except that all the documentation specifically says that they are limited to those resolutions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:00 pm 

There's some slight flexibility around those resolutions for sure (just as with most CRT's), on SOME monitors, but it's a big jump between 15khz and 31khz, which 24 falls right between and I'm pretty positive is out of spec on these Sony monitors we're talking about (at least with my trials and tribulations with all sorts of modelines on GroovyMAME/CRT Emudriver, as well as downscaling 480p to 240p with TVOne Corio2....they seem to be pretty strict to get a signal to show-up error free).

Hell, even Dreamcast 480p – which you would think is a pretty darn standard signal coming from a huge company (back in the day) like Sega – but it really isn't and you need an Extron RGB unit on a monitor like a BVM-D20 (and I assume D9, D14, D24, and D32 as well) to not have the image skewed on the top because that signal is just a little bit off spec. Same goes for Wii over component. You have to remember these are broadcast monitors meant to adhere to VERY strict broadcast standard type signals (which 24khz isn't) - just look at the entire BVM A-series (and D9 and D14) which won't sync with all these different consoles because they're not EXACTLY to spec.

The NEC monitors, which are one of the models which I believe do 24khz, are more meant as presentation and computer monitors so those can have a lot more flexibility with the types of signals they can take (when compared to Sony).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:38 pm 

The NEC XM29 but also some Barco Monitors are perfect for these resolution and the X68000.
But you can also just get an Arcade trisync monitor and use this instead

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:40 pm 

svensonson wrote:
The NEC XM29 but also some Barco Monitors are perfect for these resolution and the X68000.

Honestly I'd rather not use an arcade monitor.

I have a dozen cabs, and at least as many spare monitors. The x68000 is on my actual computer desk, and I'd like something that doesn't have an open frame just for aesthetics.

An XM29 is a pain to hunt down. If I could, I would. I had a XM37+ but that thing is just way way too large so I sold it.

My understanding is Barco monitors aren't really a thing in the US.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:17 pm 

DejahThoris wrote:
svensonson wrote:

I have a dozen cabs, and at least as many spare monitors. The x68000 is on my actual computer desk, and I'd like something that doesn't have an open frame just for aesthetics.

An XM29 is a pain to hunt down. If I could, I would. I had a XM37+ but that thing is just way way too large so I sold it.

Maybe there are still a few Microvitec M1438 or even M1764 around in the U.S.
Perfect match for the X68000 and good desk size monitors.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:34 pm 

svensonson wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:
svensonson wrote:

Maybe there are still a few Microvitec M1438 or even M1764 around in the U.S.
Perfect match for the X68000 and good desk size monitors.

I'll add those to my search list. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:44 am 

I've tested 24kHz on a JVC DT-V and got an image, although the monitor clearly wasn't familiar with it and required tweaking the size and maybe geometry.

---

I got a scart to vga cable for next to nothing, but opening it up showed this:

Am I wrong or there's no connection to the sync pins (19,20)? So this is not good for scart to vga nor vga to scart? lol?

Also if I want to go from scart to vga I need to connect pin 19 of the scart head to pin 13 of the vga connector right? (yes I already know vga receivers generally want separate TTL sync)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:01 am 

that's a communication cable. It uses pins 10 and 12, which absolutey no video/rgb scart cable out there uses.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:25 pm 

lol indeed then :lol: Thanks Fudoh.

I was going to buy a bunch of Packapunch cables from RGC (it's 18% off on them now), I'll just add a scart to 4bnc cable to the order I guess..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:57 am 

Will a SCART to RGBS cable work as an RGBS to SCART or is that a one-way conversion?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:33 am 

SavagePencil wrote:
Will a SCART to RGBS cable work as an RGBS to SCART or is that a one-way conversion?

SCART is RGBS; SCART is a connector standard, RGBS is a signalling standard.

If you mean SCART to BNC, or SCART to VGA, then yes, these are directional; however, some manufacturers add a switch to the SCART head, so you can use them for either direction.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:01 am 

It's easy to get confused.

For me, RGBS means clean sync. With SCART, we often get composite sync or sync on luma.

It really doesn't help when we casually reference clean sync, composite, and sync on luma as RGBS or CSYNC. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:27 pm 

orange808 wrote:
It's easy to get confused.

For me, RGBS means clean sync. With SCART, we often get composite sync or sync on luma.

It really doesn't help when we casually reference clean sync, composite, and sync on luma as RGBS or CSYNC. :(

It definitely can be confusing, and you're absolutely right that those casual references don't actually imply the things people seem to think they do.

My understanding has been that: (None of this is going to be new to a lot of people.)
  • The RGBS acronym doesn't actually describe what is used for a composite sync signal, just that it's on its own wire, separate from the image data.
    • And this may not 100% mesh with the rest of the community, but I distinguish capital S to mean sync is on its own wire, and lowercase s means it's muxed on the previous line, like Gs for sync-on-green; this differentiation/usage seems common in at least Extron's documentation.
  • Composite sync (CSync/CSYNC) simply means horizontal and vertical sync are muxed together, and the resulting composite signal can either be on its own or muxed with a video signal to reduce the wire count.
  • "Clean sync", sync-on-composite, and sync-on-luma are used to describe what is transmitted on the sync wire, pretty much always in the context of RGB SCART, and thus composite sync and RGBS are implied.
    • Should probably also be noted that, while the separate horizontal and vertical sync signals in RGBHV are technically also clean sync signals, they are clean by design and don't need to be qualified as such.
  • All of YPbPr, RGsB (sync-on-green RGB), YC (S-Video), RGBS, and RGBHV are technically component video, since they all have different components broken out into multiple wires; but "component video" is often used as shorthand for YPbPr, and is sometimes used as shorthand for the cabling, which could carry either YPbPr or RGsB.

Frankly, it's a lot to keep track of. :/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:12 am 

nmalinoski wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:

If you mean SCART to BNC, or SCART to VGA, then yes, these are directional; however, some manufacturers add a switch to the SCART head, so you can use them for either direction.

My apologies; I did mean SCART to 4 BNC. I haven’t seen one with a toggle for SCART->BNC or BNC->SCART. Any you can recommend?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:35 am 

SavagePencil wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:

My apologies; I did mean SCART to 4 BNC. I haven’t seen one with a toggle for SCART->BNC or BNC->SCART. Any you can recommend?

Retro Gaming Cables has the specific cable I'm talking about.

If you're based in the US, Retro-Access can probably build you a similar cable as they have all the requisite parts, except maybe the switch; you just have to ask.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202 ... 217  Next