Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mesh control

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by mesh control »

emphatic wrote:
mesh control wrote:Super-duper dumb question: I own a phoenixed CPS2 board, will it's battery suicide like a normal CPS2?
No, that's the whole point of Phoenix roms. :lol:
Oh, Awesome!

Too bad there is no highscore save mod. -_-'
lol
ryu

Post by ryu »

anyone know if the sony pgm models work with a 567p source?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

They don't, 480p60 only.
ryu

Post by ryu »

damn. ._. there wouldn't happen to be down converters for that, would there?
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

any better video processor can do this, but the framerate conversion from 50Hz to 60Hz isn't very nice for videogames.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:any better video processor can do this, but the framerate conversion from 50Hz to 60Hz isn't very nice for videogames.
in that case how about 720p to 480p, would that work without producing too much lag or screwing the image (quality)?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no problem.
ryu

Post by ryu »

that's great. would it be fine too if it was connected with a hdfury? forgot to mention that in my previous post.
if that's no problem it'd be great if i could get a recommendation for a device for specifically this purpose, since that popular framemeister thing seems to be a shot through the roof for me. it'd be a waste spending $500 on a device when i only need a select set of functions it offers.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Where do you want to add a HDFury ?
if that's no problem it'd be great if i could get a recommendation for a device for specifically this purpose
depends on your sources. An iScan HD+ should do the job for about 100 EUR.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:Where do you want to add a HDFury ?
if that's no problem it'd be great if i could get a recommendation for a device for specifically this purpose
depends on your sources. An iScan HD+ should do the job for about 100 EUR.
what i want to hook up is a ps3 which uses 567p instead of 480p. forgot to mention that as well, sorry.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

wasn't this the initial question ? 576p50 into the VP and 480p60 from the VP to the monitor.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:wasn't this the initial question ? 576p50 into the VP and 480p60 from the VP to the monitor.
yeah. the 720p question was about the same thing, since your remark about hz conversion made me wonder if it could work if i used the ps3s 720p output.

anyways, maybe i should have asked if i would even need a hdfury when i would be using a VP anyways? from what i understand it would solve the issue of hooking up the ps3 via vga anyways, but what about hdcp?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Forget about VGA, HDCP and HDMI. You can feed 720p60 from a PS3 via component and output 480p60 to the monitor via RGBHV. This way you don't need a framerate conversion.
ryu

Post by ryu »

rgbhv is not put into a display through vga? :?

i don't own a pgm yet (could get a 2950 or 200 anytime though) and have little to no knowledge about the bnc ports. i was just told i could put vga into them via vga to bnc.

other than a component cable, what would i need to set it all up the way you just told me?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The PGMs have BNC inputs, so you usually need a VGA to 5x BNC cable.
ryu

Post by ryu »

so using a component cable wouldn't work?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

you're confusing me...

PS3 > PS2/3 component cable > video processor > VGA to 5x BNC cable > PGM.
ryu

Post by ryu »

i was just assuming a VP wouldn't be needed that way. i get it now, thanks a lot. :D

the iscan hd+ seems to be really hard to come by though. are there any alternatives in a similar price range?
edit: found an iscan hd. would that also work or do i need the iscan hd+?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The iScan HD should do the same. You can check the manual here: http://www.curtpalme.com/VideoProcessors.shtm

EDIT: sorry, no, the iScan HD won't do it. 720p is just passed through. Only the HD+ added the scaling of HD sources.
ryu

Post by ryu »

guess i'll just have to be patient then. thanks again.
ryu

Post by ryu »

good thing i stumbled upon something and checked this here:

http://www.dvdo.com/documents/DVDO/DVDO ... asheet.pdf
-Two component Video Inputs: (YPbPr or RGB/S) process 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p signals; pass-through 720p and 1080i High Definition signals
though about the dvi input, dvi-i onnector it says it processes 720p.
if i get that right it means using a component cable wouldn't work for this. what's the best way to go about this then?

edit: is hdcp even a worry when i'm using bnc ports? couldn't i just go from the ps3 hdmi output using a hdmi -> dvi-d cable into the dvi-i connector, into the dvi input of the VP and output VGA to bnc?
edit2: just read some more into it. if i get that right only 720p upwards work with hdcp anyways, so if i downconvert to 480p it won't matter anyways?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Ah, dammit, just too long since iScan days.

You're right, the HD+ won't do it either. Both the HD and HD+ won't scale HD from the analogue inputs. HDMI/DVI can't be converted to VGA because of the HDCP protection in the PS3's signal. You would need an iScan VP30 to do everything you want to do. Not neccessarily more expensive (bought one for 120 EUR recently), but a bit harder to come by at this price.

May I ask why you want to connect a PS3 to a PGM anyway ?
ryu

Post by ryu »

okay, i'll look into the vp30 then. thanks.
May I ask why you want to connect a PS3 to a PGM anyway ?
i don't own a hd tv and a pgm + vp seems to be a better investment for me since i care a lot about picture quality and contrast. i also sit only about 2 to 3 meters away from the screen when playing (small room), so i don't really benefit from the larger hd picture anyways.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

i also sit only about 2 to 3 meters away from the screen when playing (small room), so i don't really benefit from the larger hd picture anyways.
did you mistype this ? I sit 1.3m from a 52" model for gaming. I would chose a 65" for 3m :)

Remember that the 720p output from your PS3 is 16:9. You can zoom and/or adjust this on the VP, but for proper aspect ratio you will end up having borders on top and bottom on a 4:3 PGM screen.
ryu

Post by ryu »

he, i suck at this. it's actually 1m to 1,50m. i know about the widescreen issue, but that's no problem for me.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I have a couple questions about using an original xbox to run MAME.

I am interested in trying to get any of these games to work on a console setup:

Dangun Feveron
Esp RA DE
Progear
APB
Bakraid
Strikers 1945 III

So, my questions are:

1. Can I get these games to run properly on MAME? I have never played the pcbs, so I am not going to be bothered by small stuff, as long as the games are playable.

2. Is there anyway to get these games to run in TATE? I plan on hooking this up to my crt, and it would only really be usefull if the games could be ran in TATE. I would even be ok with MAME only running in TATE, if thats my only option.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Get coinops3 and should run the games. Make sure you try a different dump if it does not work the first time. So far I have tried Dangun Feveron
Esp RA DE, Progear and Bakraid (maybe striker) They all work great, but expect some frameskipping when the action gets a bit overwhelming....playable, but you will notice it. All arcade emulation on the xbox1 have tate function...hell, you can run hori games in tate if you want (plus some added scaling chucked in) Run the emulation in 480p (get component cables) if your crt can handle that to get a sharper image and no flickering otherwise live with 480i via scart.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

rugdoctor wrote:Get coinops3 and should run the games. Make sure you try a different dump if it does not work the first time. So far I have tried Dangun Feveron
Esp RA DE, Progear and Bakraid (maybe striker) They all work great, but expect some frameskipping when the action gets a bit overwhelming....playable, but you will notice it. All arcade emulation on the xbox1 have tate function...hell, you can run hori games in tate if you want (plus some added scaling chucked in) Run the emulation in 480p (get component cables) if your crt can handle that to get a sharper image and no flickering otherwise live with 480i via scart.
Awesome, thanks! My CRT has component inputs, but to be honest, I'm not sure if it can run 480p (I know very little about tvs, trying to learn as much as I can from this thread and the hardware section)

Since I don't have a pc to run games on, and can't afford a cab or gun at the moment, I would be happy to have mostly-working versions of these games.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

mame on xbox beats the XXX in 1 jamma board imho, its only the resolution output that makes it fall below the ultimate replacement. I have 3 x modded xbox1s at home, two are permanently installed in 2 cabs, one for tate and one for hori. You will also need to get some proper controls to play it well...but for the most part, the controller s is quite comfortable to play shmups on anyhow and you can flick on autofire too!
tcancian

Post by tcancian »

Does composite sync (clean and pure, separated through LM1881 or directly from the system) grants a better image quality compared to when composite video is used for syncing in RGB?