Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Tempest_2084

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Tempest_2084 wrote:Is it possible to change the horizontal size in the service menu on a Phillips 27PT543S37A CRT? The service manual seems to indicate that there should be an East West Width option in the horizontal menu but when I go to that menu I only see one option and that's for moving the horizontal position. I checked the chassis info and the manual should be for this model chassis. Could the rest of the options be hidden somehow?
Some sets don't have H Size. A common highly sought after consumer set, a JVC D-Series in 27" doesn't have H Size (32" and 36" of the same size have it fyi).

You can also check if there's a physical pot for it inside - would be weird if it has a service menu but wouldn't be the only one like that.
Really? That's interesting.

This is what I find so puzzling. Here's a picture of the back of the TV where you can see that chassis clearly says L01.1U AC-7638
Spoiler
And here's the manual for it I found online which clearly says it's for the L01.1U AC-7638.

https://ia601604.us.archive.org/11/item ... c_7638.pdf

If you look at page 72 of the manual it mentions that East West Width adjustment in the Horizontal service menu. When I go to that section I only get the first option mentioned in the manual (Horizontal Shift) and none of the other options.

That's why I wondering if there was just something I'm missing here.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Tempest_2084 wrote:
There are sometimes different revisions of a single TV model, and there are also sometimes multiple revisions of the service manual. Sometimes those revisions would be passed down in the form of service bulletins, and sometimes they would issue a new manual. You can't always be sure a service manual you find somewhere on the internet is going to match your set exactly. I recently repaired an old Sony TV that had different values for some components installed than was in the manual for example. This kind of thing happens frequently.

The next best step to figure out what's going on is to cross reference what you actually have inside to what the manual is telling you have inside. You have a fairly straightforward task in identifying the section of the board that handles the HOR deflection stuff. If your specific set lacks the service menu option, then perhaps it's an earlier revision, or different market chassis that has a physical pot, or as I said an adjustable inductor. Obviously don't mess around inside if you don't feel comfortable, or you are unsure of how to do so safely.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Tempest_2084 wrote:This is what I find so puzzling. Here's a picture of the back of the TV where you can see that chassis clearly says L01.1U AC-7638
Spoiler
And here's the manual for it I found online which clearly says it's for the L01.1U AC-7638.

https://ia601604.us.archive.org/11/item ... c_7638.pdf

If you look at page 72 of the manual it mentions that East West Width adjustment in the Horizontal service menu. When I go to that section I only get the first option mentioned in the manual (Horizontal Shift) and none of the other options.

Judging by your model number starting with "27" yours is a 27", correct?

A couple pages down in the manual you'll see a chart. The 27" column has "–" listed for "East-West Width", most likely (as you've experienced) means the 27" model doesn't have that adjustment.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Dochartaigh wrote: Judging by your model number starting with "27" yours is a 27", correct?

A couple pages down in the manual you'll see a chart. The 27" column has "–" listed for "East-West Width", most likely (as you've experienced) means the 27" model doesn't have that adjustment.
Doh! How did I miss that? Thanks for solving that mystery. How odd though, you'd think that controlling the horizontal size would be a common adjustment?

Here's another related question. My friend is using his Wii and an SNES emulator to test this TV. The grid from the 240p suite doesn't fill the screen (looks like there's maybe half an inch on each side). Do you think a real SNES would fill the whole screen? My fear is that when I try my real systems on this TV they will either be severely underscanned or overscanned and without being able to change the horizontal size that could be a problem. I had to get rid of a decent looking Zenith TV I had because everything through component was so badly overscanned that I lost a good inch of the picture on sides.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I have a Lynx with BenVenn LCD mod and VGA out. When plugged straight into a monitor, it looks fantastic. When run through an Extron MVX matrix switcher connected to the monitor, there’s no picture. When run through the MVX to an OSSC, the OSSC will detect a signal but the image is degraded and has a very light red/pink tint.

I think the signal isn’t strong enough on the output from the MVX, but that seems unusual for an Extron product to not boost it. Cabling issue? Something else?
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

I have a N64 PSU that turns the console on but I don't get any video output from. The PSU has had all capacitors replaced. Anyone have any ideas on what to check for first?

If all else fails, is REN64 a good/safe alternative? My concern with this is sending noise through the console and stressing it.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Might be better to make a separate thread for this, but I am really close to getting a no-autofire Kyuukyoku Tiger clear on the PCB and I'd kind of like to be able to put up a replay for that.

What is the best way to record directly from those old Toaplan PCBs? I have a Framemeister, OSSC, and RT5X right now. I know that BetsuBetsu -> Framemeister -> capture thing should be okay, but is there a better way, and what is the best way?

I have mentioned it before somewhere, but the OSSC definitely does not like the Hishouzame PCB at all, probably because of the 54.something Hz refresh rate, so I think it's likely that it will dislike the Kyuukyoku Tiger PCB since both games probably have the same refresh rate. OSSC might work okay with Slap Fight, though.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Steven wrote:Might be better to make a separate thread for this, but I am really close to getting a no-autofire Kyuukyoku Tiger clear on the PCB and I'd kind of like to be able to put up a replay for that.

What is the best way to record directly from those old Toaplan PCBs? I have a Framemeister, OSSC, and RT5X right now. I know that BetsuBetsu -> Framemeister -> capture thing should be okay, but is there a better way, and what is the best way?

I have mentioned it before somewhere, but the OSSC definitely does not like the Hishouzame PCB at all, probably because of the 54.something Hz refresh rate, so I think it's likely that it will dislike the Kyuukyoku Tiger PCB since both games probably have the same refresh rate. OSSC might work okay with Slap Fight, though.
There's a new OSSC firmware and a hardware mod to increase compatibility with some PCBs.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Any opinions on the Toshiba CF27F50? Someone I know is selling an RGB modded on and it looks pretty good (still can't adjust the HSIZE though).
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

Tempest_2084 wrote:Any opinions on the Toshiba CF27F50? Someone I know is selling an RGB modded on and it looks pretty good (still can't adjust the HSIZE though).
What can I say? That's like asking if someone want's anchovies. Some may really crave exactly that and others hate it.

Personally I think that it is probably fine. It depends on the price, who did the RGB mod and what is it you are after. If it works and is free, then sure. $10, probably still fine. If you trust the guy and it's going for $100, maybe ok. Don't spend $1,000 on something that might die tomorrow unless you really, really want it and are ready to accept what may come.

In my personal journey with RGB I don't think it's worth it for a premium price. S-Video is pretty close to RGB quality to my eyes. Tinkering with YPbPr can get you perhaps equal results as RGB.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Issac Zachary wrote:
Tempest_2084 wrote:Any opinions on the Toshiba CF27F50? Someone I know is selling an RGB modded on and it looks pretty good (still can't adjust the HSIZE though).
What can I say? That's like asking if someone want's anchovies. Some may really crave exactly that and others hate it.

Personally I think that it is probably fine. It depends on the price, who did the RGB mod and what is it you are after. If it works and is free, then sure. $10, probably still fine. If you trust the guy and it's going for $100, maybe ok. Don't spend $1,000 on something that might die tomorrow unless you really, really want it and are ready to accept what may come.

In my personal journey with RGB I don't think it's worth it for a premium price. S-Video is pretty close to RGB quality to my eyes. Tinkering with YPbPr can get you perhaps equal results as RGB.
I was just curious if this particular model had any known issues. Some models have problems with certain things like bloom or linearity.

This one looks to have near perfect geometry and convergence but the corner focus is super fuzzy although I think that can be fixed by adjusting the focus knob. If not it might be a sign the caps are going.

As for RGB not being worth the money, I do agree that S-Video is good enough for most things, but my setup is all geared for RGB/Component so that's what I have to use.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Stupid question time: how the fuck do I get the buttons out of my Astro City? I want to clean my 1P side A button, but I can't get it, or any of the other buttons, out. Every button in the control panel has some sort of blue-green liquid on it, like this:
Spoiler
Obviously these are the screw-type of buttons, but I can't move them at all. I am hoping whatever this is on my buttons isn't some form of Loctite or some equivalent, but judging by the fact that the buttons and the screw-on thingies seem cemented in place, it probably is. Any advice would be highly appreciated.
orange808 wrote:
Steven wrote:Might be better to make a separate thread for this, but I am really close to getting a no-autofire Kyuukyoku Tiger clear on the PCB and I'd kind of like to be able to put up a replay for that.

There's a new OSSC firmware and a hardware mod to increase compatibility with some PCBs.
I am more concerned with getting the signal from the PCB to whatever it is that I am using to convert to HMDI, as I don't really know how to do that. The RT5X works with basically everything in triple buffer, and I know the Framemeister works perfectly with all Toaplan PCBs, but I also know it has color accuracy problems. I'll use the OSSC as a last resort.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Longshot, but does anyone have any QSB info for Dreamcast IDE mods? Lots of old AssemblerGames threads on various ones that are all full of dead links archive.org didn't grab. I have a VA0 Dreamcast and I want to keep the GD-ROM drive, so the GD-IDE or G1-ATA boards from DragonCity won't do (both seem to be the only ones readily available).
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

hello

i have original genesis model 1 and mega everdrive x5.

i want to be able to play all sega cd games... so if i got the sega cd hardware and attached it to my system with this cart... can it work?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

VEGETA wrote:hello

i have original genesis model 1 and mega everdrive x5.

i want to be able to play all sega cd games... so if i got the sega cd hardware and attached it to my system with this cart... can it work?
The X5 can load alternate region BIOS files for the CD so you should be able to play anything. Not sure about 50/60Hz issues though if you have a PAL console- you might need some sort of DFO mod potentially.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

To be clear you will still need to use discs with the X5.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Good point, if you don't want to use discs skip the CD hardware and get a Mega EverDrive Pro or TerraOnion Mega SD
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

bobrocks95 wrote:Good point, if you don't want to use discs skip the CD hardware and get a Mega EverDrive Pro or TerraOnion Mega SD
yes i don't want to use discs... but wanted to getaway without needing to buy a new flash cart.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Are the reproduction BVM input cards (129x or 68x) appropriate for the BVM-D24E1WJ, or are they really only compatible with the A series and smaller D series?

Similarly, will the mini BKM-15 work with it?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

DejahThoris wrote:Are the reproduction BVM input cards (129x or 68x) appropriate for the BVM-D24E1WJ, or are they really only compatible with the A series and smaller D series?

They're not compatible. Your D-series monitor already has built-in RGB/Compo inputs, and additional input cards for them are not hard to find either so there's no need for clone cards.

As for the controller units, they're not compatible either. I recall someone did make a DIY BKM-10R, but I don't know if that project was open sourced.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

fernan1234 wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:Are the reproduction BVM input cards (129x or 68x) appropriate for the BVM-D24E1WJ, or are they really only compatible with the A series and smaller D series?

They're not compatible. Your D-series monitor already has built-in RGB/Compo inputs, and additional input cards for them are not hard to find either so there's no need for clone cards.

As for the controller units, they're not compatible either. I recall someone did make a DIY BKM-10R, but I don't know if that project was open sourced.
Thanks for the quick reply! Been 8 or 9 years since I owned a D24 and couldn't remember if the non-removable input card was appropriate for games or not. New one's in transit and just wanted to be able to use it when it shows up!

Also managed to find this after you mentioned DIY BKM-10R: https://github.com/abonham/BKM-10Replacements

Got a spare pico in a drawer, so will head down this route for now! Thank you again!
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

1. Can the Extron RGB 203rxi output 75ohms sync?
2. Is the Extron RGB 203rxi a good choice for turning RGBHV into RGBS?
3. Can the Extron RGB 203rxi properly output 240p and 480i from the MiSTer and N64 well?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Ikaruga11 wrote:1. Can the Extron RGB 203rxi output 75ohms sync?
3. Can the Extron RGB 203rxi properly output 240p and 480i from the MiSTer and N64 well?
I can't speak about that particular model but I think Extron interfaces output 75ohm but 5V. They indeed combine syncs. However, while they're deinterlacers, they're not scan converters, so they won't get 15khz out of 31khz or anything. A Mister and a N64 already output 240p and 480i by themselves, so not sure what you meant there. If you want N64's 480i into 240p, they're not a good option because those're not plain line-doubled graphics, so expect a lot of flickering and disturbances. With a GBS-C device you could get a somewhat better result theoretically.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Ikaruga11 wrote:1. Can the Extron RGB 203rxi output 75ohms sync?
I can't speak about that particular model but I think Extron interfaces output 75ohm but 5V. They indeed combine syncs. However, while they're deinterlacers, they're not scan converters, so they won't get 15khz out of 31khz or anything. A Mister and a N64 already output 240p and 480i by themselves, so not sure what you meant there. If you want N64's 480i into 240p, they're not a good option because those're not plain line-doubled graphics, so expect a lot of flickering and disturbances. With a GBS-C device you could get a somewhat better result theoretically.
Thanks so much! I'm not looking into upscaling/downscaling anything. Just native resolutions.

Would the Extron 203rxi's TTL RGBS ouput be compatible and safe with a standard 75ohms RGBS CSync BNC cable from RetroAccess to connect the 203 directly to a BVM D24?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Ikaruga11 wrote:Thanks so much! I'm not looking into upscaling/downscaling anything. Just native resolutions.
What's exactly your purpose?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Ikaruga11 wrote:Thanks so much! I'm not looking into upscaling/downscaling anything. Just native resolutions.
What's exactly your purpose?
Converting my HDMI modded consoles (N64, GameCube, Wii, Dreamcast, etc.) into RGBHV (using the HD Fury 3), then into RGBS (using Extron 203rxi), then feeding that RGBS signal directly into my BVM D24. The reason I don't simply use analog output on my consoles is because I want to use the lossless digital signal for audio and streaming/recording. The video that goes to the BVM is converted HDMI -> RGBHV ->RGBS.

Since the 203rxi outputs TTL level sync, should my RetroAccess RGBS BNC Cable have a 470 ohm resistor on the sync line?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Ikaruga11 wrote: Since the 203rxi outputs TTL level sync, should my RetroAccess RGBS BNC Cable have a 470 ohm resistor on the sync line?
WOW big picture...

And your D24 can take TTL level sync and will be fine.

Question on your overall setup though: I get the 480p consoles can output 480p over HDMI which the D24 (once converted) can take 480p...

BUT do the 240p/480i consoles (like PS2 which is mostly a 480i-only console, and N64), do the HDMI mods for those ouput that native signal, or is it like 480p at the lowest resolution? Just curious as I would hate for your fancy D24 to not be getting a native signal from those, and always have it upscaled.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Ikaruga11 wrote: Since the 203rxi outputs TTL level sync, should my RetroAccess RGBS BNC Cable have a 470 ohm resistor on the sync line?
WOW big picture...

And your D24 can take TTL level sync and will be fine.

Question on your overall setup though: I get the 480p consoles can output 480p over HDMI which the D24 (once converted) can take 480p...

BUT do the 240p/480i consoles (like PS2 which is mostly a 480i-only console, and N64), do the HDMI mods for those ouput that native signal, or is it like 480p at the lowest resolution? Just curious as I would hate for your fancy D24 to not be getting a native signal from those, and always have it upscaled.
Thanks. So the MiSTer will output 240p over HDMI using Direct Video Mode. I heard that the N64 Digital mod is capable of outputting native 240p and 480i over HDMI as a simple passthrough. As for the PS2Digital, I imagine it will allow 240p and 480i over HDMI as well.

Source: https://twitter.com/VGPerfection/status ... 3453251592

Is the HD Fury X3 the same as the HD Fury 3? Same question with the HD Fury X4 and HD Fury 4. I ask because it says the HD Fury 3/4/3X/4X are some of the best DACs and they all seem to be used interchangably, but a test from JunkerHQ showed that the HD Fury 3 adds a ringing/halo effect to the image. Has this been fixed via firmware updates? Does anyone with an HD Fury X3 or X4 know if they have a slight ringing/halo effect around their converted image as well?

ImageImage

https://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?tit ... s_for_OSSC
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 8Hz4#gid=0
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Ikaruga11 wrote:I ask because it says the HD Fury 3/4/3X/4X are some of the best DACs and they all seem to be used interchangably, but a test from JunkerHQ showed that the HD Fury 3 adds a ringing/halo effect to the image. Has this been fixed via firmware updates? Does anyone with an HD Fury X3 or X4 know if they have a slight ringing/halo effect around their converted image as well?

The Tendak units have different DACs in them depending on the exact one you get. It's not even entirely revision dependent, I think they just used whatever was around. If you get a good one, they seem to look really, really good, and don't have the black crush that plagues some video ADCs. Honestly, I think they are good enough that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference with anything better, certainly not from sitting on the couch distance
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Ah, I vaguely remember reading about the ringing on the HDFury 3 years ago. That's probably why I never bothered upgrading from the HDFury 2. It has a supposedly worse DAC according to that spreadsheet, but I wonder how much of that is really noticable.

Also have a Benfei cable, that seems to work well with MiSTer and it's supposedly a better DAC, but it doesn't have it's own power supply or any audio out, so it's not quite as useful as the HDFury 2.