Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
rugdoctor

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by rugdoctor »

thanks for that, so I suppose it will output too high a value for the tv to handle, like everything will be overbright without a bit of resistance? Has anyone tried the uVC on viletims scart to jamma adapter?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rugdoctor wrote:thanks for that, so I suppose it will output too high a value for the tv to handle, like everything will be overbright without a bit of resistance? Has anyone tried the uVC on viletims scart to jamma adapter?
It *might* be too bright, I haven't tried it. I haven't tried it through a viletim though I believe it would work.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
ryu

Post by ryu »

i had the guy with the pgms test out the pgm 200 and he said it took 1024x768 XGA just fine (though it probably downscaled the picture). if it can handle that, shouldn't it be able to handle 576p as well?

because if that's fine i could get one of these scart to bnc breakout boards offered here if my ps3 scart rgb cable can handle it (could try it out on a hdtv anytime).
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The classic PGMs, e.g. the PGM2950 are 31khz at 60Hz only. The older PGM 200 R1 is 480p at 60Hz only as well. The newer PGM 200 R2 accepts 480p60 and 576p50.

There's also the BKM-201 scaling board for the R1. It accepts 576i50 (and anything else up to max. XGA, but no 720p HD timing) and converts is to the 480p60 the display natively accepts. The PGM-200 in question has this installed most likely.

It's still a bad solution for 576i50 via Scart, since the quality of the scaling board is incredibly bad.

From a pure connectivty (not quality) standpoint, a PGM-200 R1 with BKM-201 would allow you to feed 576i50 from your PS3 as well as 480p60, but you still wouldn't be able to feed 720p60, because the 1280x720p60 exceeds the input capability of the 201 board and you would have to transcode to RGBHV before anyway (either from YUV or HDMI).
ryu

Post by ryu »

sorry, i meant to try using my rgb scart for 576p output, i'm not interested in interlaced scan at all here (i heard rgb scart can handle 480p. dunno about 576p but the ps3 display settings have tha as a possible output method). i guess relying on the bkmi scaling board wouldn't be too good since it would have to convert from 50 to 60 hz?

if that wasn't the problem, would there be a cheap way (cheaper than aa vp30) to hook up consoles with component cable to the bnc ports?
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

emphatic wrote:
rugdoctor wrote:thanks for that, so I suppose it will output too high a value for the tv to handle, like everything will be overbright without a bit of resistance? Has anyone tried the uVC on viletims scart to jamma adapter?
It *might* be too bright, I haven't tried it. I haven't tried it through a viletim though I believe it would work.
I suspect it would work on viletims because of the variable contrast on him adapter, so by turning it right down, it can effectively passthrough the uVC's video signal without further increasing the signal.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

if that wasn't the problem, would there be a cheap way (cheaper than aa vp30) to hook up consoles with component cable to the bnc ports?
it's quality question. A GBS8220 ($40) will do the same, just not in the same quality.
ryu

Post by ryu »

alright, so i stick with the previous plan. thanks.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you have neither a PGM yet, nor the video processor, may I ask why you insist on playing PS3 on a CRT ? Wouldn't a nice 32" widescreen gaming LCD serve this purpose much better ?
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Is there any difference in quality between the original PlayStation 3 and the PS3 slim in terms of HDMI output? I recently upgraded and the image doesn't appear to be as sharp or vibrant. All of the settings, cables, etc remain identical.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:If you have neither a PGM yet, nor the video processor, may I ask why you insist on playing PS3 on a CRT ? Wouldn't a nice 32" widescreen gaming LCD serve this purpose much better ?
i just prefer the picture quality of a crt over the high resolution of a hdtv
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I can understand this when talking about full HD LCDs, but if you take a small medium-res Plasma, the picture will be just about the same as on a 31khz CRT.
ryu

Post by ryu »

i didn't know about that. can you name me some models?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Panasonic TH-37*

http://www.ebay.de/itm/PANASONIC-TH-37P ... 337156f773
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Panasonic-Viera- ... 2c62d51260

Expect to pay 160-190 EUR for a 37" model in great condition.
ryu

Post by ryu »

hmm. that would probably the best choice if i would only want to hook up my ps3 to a progressive scan compatible display. would 480p sources look as bad on this as on a lcd hdtv?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

everything progressive (480p, 576p, 720p) would look pretty much as on a CRT.
ryu

Post by ryu »

sounds like i should settle for one of these then. when you say the picture's the same as on a crt, do you also refer to the contrast?

>natürliches Kontrastverhältnis: 15.000:1
>Dynamisches Kontrastverhältnis: 500.000:1

because i can't really compare these numbers to the sony monitors since i don't know their numbers.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You simply musn't forget that you are comparing 20-year old CRT tech to plasma sets introduced merely a few years back. If you like the soft feeling of a CRT image along with the patterns added by the CRT's mask, getting a plasma set is the next best thing in every regard (including the contrast ratio you mentioned).
ryu

Post by ryu »

tough decision. do you have any experience with plasmas used for playing games? screen burn-in seems to be a serious issue according to the wikipedia article.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

"If you can't afford a high-end LCD along with a good video processor, get a Panasonic Plasma" - that has been my recommendation for years now and at least a dozen of friends over here have bought the 42" Panasonic models upon this recommendation. They're all very happy with their purchase. Screen burn isn't a problem anymore.
ryu

Post by ryu »

i read plama screens have some flicker due to the nature of how they work. i assume this isn't nearly as bad as some of the 480i/576i flickering on a crt, right?

i'll probably try bidding on one of them then.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

right, compared to LCDs they have visible flicker, but nothing compared to a CRT (doesn't matter if 480i or 480p, since the 60Hz are the "problem", not the interlacing).
ryu

Post by ryu »

waaaaait

does that mean if i have some games flicker more or less in interlaced mode on a crt, and upgrade to a crt that can handle progressive scan, i'd still have the same flickering?
Last edited by ryu on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

The flickering on a CRT is inherent in the way it produces the image - by the electron gun scanning across the inside of the tube. Doesn't matter what the source/connection/resolution etc is, it will always produce the image the same way.

I can't remember exactly how the 60Hz corresponds to our (North American) power frequency, but I know that it does. That's why NTSC standard is 60Hz and PAL is 50Hz - the power frequency is different overseas.

Edit: I should qualify that a bit - obviously the quality of your source can introduce additional problems. But everything else being equal, you will always have some degree of flicker on a CRT. 60Hz is supposed to be above the threshold that our eyes can detect, but some people seem to be more sensitive than others. Other weird stuff like dirty power or some types of lighting (like fluorescent bulbs) can affect it as well.
Last edited by shmuppyLove on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

What would I want RGB color temp set to? I'm mainly playing shooters, no surprise there.

I'm trying to mess around with that, along with contrast and brightness, to get a nice picture on this monitor, but since the buttons are on the back of this fairly large monitor, its hard to adjust it and be able to see it at the same time.
antron

Post by antron »

shmuppyLove wrote:The flickering on a CRT is inherent in the way it produces the image - by the electron gun scanning across the inside of the tube. Doesn't matter what the source/connection/resolution etc is, it will always produce the image the same way.
the flicker difference between 240p and 480i is like night and day.

I have a feeling we are talking about different things here, but I just wanted to point this out.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

possibly, yes. There's the refresh-related flicker, especially noticeable on large white areas and the higher the display's contrast/white level is set. The other thing is LINE FLICKER which you get with interlaced sources, especially noticeable on thin horizontal lines.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

antron wrote:the flicker difference between 240p and 480i is like night and day.

I have a feeling we are talking about different things here, but I just wanted to point this out.
Yes you're right, because the 240p picture is displaying the same information in both fields whereas the 480i image is (potentionally) displaying two different images in alternating fields. So I guess a 480i image is really only 30Hz then?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

No, it's 60 fields compared to 60 frames.
antron

Post by antron »

Fudoh wrote:The other thing is LINE FLICKER which you get with interlaced sources, especially noticeable on thin horizontal lines.
this must be what I'm talking about, but I see it at the horizontal edge of most objects.