Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by bobrocks95 »

ldeveraux wrote:I have no clue what it is or I would have fixed it, that's why I'm asking. I guess it's the interaction between the OSSC and the TV. Once I got the OSSC setup for my Samsung years ago, I left it alone so I wouldn't have to do this again. I'm not averse to trying new things, but nothing thus far has worked 100%. I don't really feel like paying $200 for a Linker that I don't know it will solve my problem. If I set the OSSC to line5x the Sony looks sharp with the SNES, blurry with the Genesis, and I notice some ghosting. I was running line2x on the Samsung because that was what worked best for me, and I didn't notice there was ghosting until just now!

So I don't know what I'll do, but the Sony is from 2019 I wouldn't consider it an old TV by any means
Ohh, line2x. Your Samsung handled 480p much more nicely than the 4K Sony then. My LG OLED looks like crap with a 480p source, so that's not surprising.

Did you try 3x and 4x? The different 5x output modes? If the SNES looks good and the Genesis looks blurry, maybe a rude question, but you are switching between a SNES and Genesis profile when you're using them right? The SNES optimized 256 mode will of course look like complete crap when running a Genesis.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bobrocks95 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:I have no clue what it is or I would have fixed it, that's why I'm asking. I guess it's the interaction between the OSSC and the TV. Once I got the OSSC setup for my Samsung years ago, I left it alone so I wouldn't have to do this again. I'm not averse to trying new things, but nothing thus far has worked 100%. I don't really feel like paying $200 for a Linker that I don't know it will solve my problem. If I set the OSSC to line5x the Sony looks sharp with the SNES, blurry with the Genesis, and I notice some ghosting. I was running line2x on the Samsung because that was what worked best for me, and I didn't notice there was ghosting until just now!

So I don't know what I'll do, but the Sony is from 2019 I wouldn't consider it an old TV by any means
Ohh, line2x. Your Samsung handled 480p much more nicely than the 4K Sony then. My LG OLED looks like crap with a 480p source, so that's not surprising.

Did you try 3x and 4x? The different 5x output modes? If the SNES looks good and the Genesis looks blurry, maybe a rude question, but you are switching between a SNES and Genesis profile when you're using them right? The SNES optimized 256 mode will of course look like complete crap when running a Genesis.
Yeah I agree, the 12 year old Samsung definitely handled lower resolutions better, no arguments there. I have tried switching between 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, and for my money 5x looks decent on the Sony... assuming, as you suggested, I have the correct profile loaded. What I don't understand, maybe a question for the OSSC thread, is how can I auto switch based on source? I always assumed it wasn't possible, so years ago I created one profile on the OSSC that I used universally, because I can't be bothered to manually switch profiles for each of my ~14 systems. So the catchall worked for the Samsung but doesn't translate to the Sony very well I guess.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

ldeveraux wrote:Yeah I agree, the 12 year old Samsung definitely handled lower resolutions better, no arguments there. I have tried switching between 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, and for my money 5x looks decent on the Sony... assuming, as you suggested, I have the correct profile loaded.
Generic doesn't look that great on my 4K LG. I see a bunch of ringing and it's fairly soft even at 5x. Though people have told me before that they don't get any ringing at all in generic sampling modes and that my OSSC must be messed up.

My generic 5x:

My optimized 5x:

And these are direct captures too so not even related to my TV's scaling. Overall optimized looks so much better that I force myself to switch modes for it. Others have told me they actually prefer generic because optimized is too sharp, but again they didn't have ringing supposedly.

This is a 1-chip with voultar's RGB mod by the way.
What I don't understand, maybe a question for the OSSC thread, is how can I auto switch based on source? I always assumed it wasn't possible, so years ago I created one profile on the OSSC that I used universally, because I can't be bothered to manually switch profiles for each of my ~14 systems. So the catchall worked for the Samsung but doesn't translate to the Sony very well I guess.
The PixelFX Morph + their Infinity switch will be the only combination that allows this, since you can set it to effectively say "input 4 on my infinity is my SNES, switch to SNES optimized mode when it comes on". Expect quite an expensive purchase if you have that many consoles to hook up... Even then not sure if it will automatically handle different resolutions coming from the same console (if Genesis switches between 320 and 256 lines wide, will it auto-switch modes seamlessly?)

That said it's not terrible to switch between OSSC profiles *once you get them all set up* which is admittedly a pain. The Retrotink 5x has much easier sampling setup with its autophase, which is the annoying part about setting up the OSSC. Switching between sampling modes on the RT5X and profiles on the OSSC is about the same number of inputs required though.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bobrocks95 wrote: Generic doesn't look that great on my 4K LG. I see a bunch of ringing and it's fairly soft even at 5x. Though people have told me before that they don't get any ringing at all in generic sampling modes and that my OSSC must be messed up.

My generic 5x:

My optimized 5x:

And these are direct captures too so not even related to my TV's scaling. Overall optimized looks so much better that I force myself to switch modes for it. Others have told me they actually prefer generic because optimized is too sharp, but again they didn't have ringing supposedly.

The PixelFX Morph + their Infinity switch will be the only combination that allows this, since you can set it to effectively say "input 4 on my infinity is my SNES, switch to SNES optimized mode when it comes on". Expect quite an expensive purchase if you have that many consoles to hook up... Even then not sure if it will automatically handle different resolutions coming from the same console (if Genesis switches between 320 and 256 lines wide, will it auto-switch modes seamlessly?)

That said it's not terrible to switch between OSSC profiles *once you get them all set up* which is admittedly a pain. The Retrotink 5x has much easier sampling setup with its autophase, which is the annoying part about setting up the OSSC. Switching between sampling modes on the RT5X and profiles on the OSSC is about the same number of inputs required though.
This is great information. My "generic" images looked similar to yours which was what set me off in the first place. I was able to get optimized images as well, but only after using profiles. What you call ringing, I called ghosting, and it's completely unacceptable imo. It's surprising to me that the Samsung handles low res images better, but I suppose it makes sense.

I forgot about the Infinity, and I don't have a matrix switcher, I just wanted the Morph because it had the HDMI input. In the end, I'm not in the market for a matrix, nor willing to swap profiles for each system. I think I'll just reload my original OSSC profile, stick with the Samsung for retro games, and repurpose the Sony to an area better srved by having a 4k scaling TV.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

ldeveraux wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote: Generic doesn't look that great on my 4K LG. I see a bunch of ringing and it's fairly soft even at 5x. Though people have told me before that they don't get any ringing at all in generic sampling modes and that my OSSC must be messed up.

My generic 5x:

My optimized 5x:

This is great information. My "generic" images looked similar to yours which was what set me off in the first place. I was able to get optimized images as well, but only after using profiles. What you call ringing, I called ghosting, and it's completely unacceptable imo. It's surprising to me that the Samsung handles low res images better, but I suppose it makes sense.

I forgot about the Infinity, and I don't have a matrix switcher, I just wanted the Morph because it had the HDMI input. In the end, I'm not in the market for a matrix, nor willing to swap profiles for each system. I think I'll just reload my original OSSC profile, stick with the Samsung for retro games, and repurpose the Sony to an area better srved by having a 4k scaling TV.
Sounds like probably your best option. A Retrotink 5x would probably give you much better generic "set it and forget it" results, as an alternative. Maybe a bit pricey to gamble on but I've never seen ringing/ghosting complaints about it. I've given up on improving my OSSC scaling results and I'm waiting on the Morph at this point.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bobrocks95 wrote: Sounds like probably your best option. A Retrotink 5x would probably give you much better generic "set it and forget it" results, as an alternative. Maybe a bit pricey to gamble on but I've never seen ringing/ghosting complaints about it. I've given up on improving my OSSC scaling results and I'm waiting on the Morph at this point.
I haven't seen much movement on the Morph at all. I'm pretty sure it has its own thread, but not much as far as updates. I should follow all that on Twitter, but can't be bothered honestly haha. To wait for the Morph or break down and buy the Rt5x...
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

ldeveraux wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote: Sounds like probably your best option. A Retrotink 5x would probably give you much better generic "set it and forget it" results, as an alternative. Maybe a bit pricey to gamble on but I've never seen ringing/ghosting complaints about it. I've given up on improving my OSSC scaling results and I'm waiting on the Morph at this point.
I haven't seen much movement on the Morph at all. I'm pretty sure it has its own thread, but not much as far as updates. I should follow all that on Twitter, but can't be bothered honestly haha. To wait for the Morph or break down and buy the Rt5x...
Summer's the current goal I think, but it was supposed to launch last year. While the parts shortages continue they've mostly been dropping firmware updates for N64Digital that will carry over to the Morph, and the occasional PCB tease. They dropped the D-Sub input though which saddens me a bit.

RT5X is supposed to have very simple menus and look good out of the box! If you need an HDMI input though...
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bobrocks95 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Summer's the current goal I think, but it was supposed to launch last year. While the parts shortages continue they've mostly been dropping firmware updates for N64Digital that will carry over to the Morph, and the occasional PCB tease. They dropped the D-Sub input though which saddens me a bit.

RT5X is supposed to have very simple menus and look good out of the box! If you need an HDMI input though...
I'm not sure I *need* HDMI input, but if it will scale more modern consoles properly, it may be of use. Losing the dsub is bad news too, maybe I'll just look further into the rt5x as it's available and we all know Mike works on improving it still.

Funny thing with my Sony vs Samsung conundrum: while I was testing the OSSC with the Sony I'd imported one of FBX's profiles and completely blew away my original settings. So now even my Samsung OSSC combo still looks blurry. I factory reset the OSSC, but can't get it back to looking nice. Is there a guide (maybe the OSSC thread?) for a general input setting scheme?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

ldeveraux wrote:I'm not sure I *need* HDMI input, but if it will scale more modern consoles properly, it may be of use. Losing the dsub is bad news too, maybe I'll just look further into the rt5x as it's available and we all know Mike works on improving it still.
I'd like to see 720p sources linedoubled fully to 1440p. Not sure when we'll get that officially, and from what scalers. It's a waiting game right now (or buy the very good RT5X as a bird in the hand kind of thing).
Funny thing with my Sony vs Samsung conundrum: while I was testing the OSSC with the Sony I'd imported one of FBX's profiles and completely blew away my original settings. So now even my Samsung OSSC combo still looks blurry. I factory reset the OSSC, but can't get it back to looking nice. Is there a guide (maybe the OSSC thread?) for a general input setting scheme?
https://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?tit ... al_timings

You basically set the horizontal sample rate in the advanced timing, maybe a couple other parameters, and then tweak the sampling phase with a test pattern. FBX has some video tutorials for it that you'll find linked on that page. Even with FBX's settings, the sampling phase is going to vary by individual system, so you still need to calibrate that for each profile.

The problem for me is always that it seems like I can't find the perfect setting, I either get flickering or a bit of ringing/blurriness on horizontal edges. I've locked it in for a couple systems, but some like the Dreamcast elude me completely.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Do AV receivers from the 00's ever introduce input lag on their video inputs?

I kinda want to get a different receiver for my retro setup that I can also use as a component video selector, something like this: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 569636839/
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

BazookaBen wrote:Do AV receivers from the 00's ever introduce input lag on their video inputs?

I kinda want to get a different receiver for my retro setup that I can also use as a component video selector, something like this: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 569636839/
If they process the signal, they introduce lag.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

ldeveraux wrote:If they process the signal, they introduce lag.
I should ask this a different way: how common is it that receivers add lag to analog video, and is there a way to tell which ones do and which ones don't?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

If you’re familiar with the different chipsets a lot of them do or do not use, that is probably a good bet. Or reading people’s experiences in old forum posts. Some, for example, properly handle 240p and don’t treat it as interlaced… most don’t.
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Anyone know if a DE15 version of these adapters exist? Garo Lite is the only thing I can find.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

AaronSR wrote:Anyone know if a DE15 version of these adapters exist? Garo Lite is the only thing I can find.
That’s not converting RGB to component (or vice versa), just an adapter that breaks up (or combines) the R G B & composite video/cvid+sync signals. What do you need to connect/convert?
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Oh I see. Was wanting something that can take component (from a PSP, Wii) and output over VGA to a monitor. Basically the Garo Lite is what I am looking for I guess, was just wondering if that would be a cheap alternative.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

AaronSR wrote:Oh I see. Was wanting something that can take component (from a PSP, Wii) and output over VGA to a monitor. Basically the Garo Lite is what I am looking for I guess, was just wondering if that would be a cheap alternative.
If you check my account’s profile page & see my recent posts, I actually posted a couple in a thread the other week! Garo Lite is also an option, but the ones I posted are of a better quality. Those Garo units have given people issues before…
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

kitty666cats wrote:
AaronSR wrote:Oh I see. Was wanting something that can take component (from a PSP, Wii) and output over VGA to a monitor. Basically the Garo Lite is what I am looking for I guess, was just wondering if that would be a cheap alternative.
If you check my account’s profile page & see my recent posts, I actually posted a couple in a thread the other week! Garo Lite is also an option, but the ones I posted are of a better quality. Those Garo units have given people issues before…
Those Garo units are pretty much a last resort
strayan

Post by strayan »

GBS-C is a cheap DIY option.

There are also devices from Extron and Altinex which you can probably find on eBay.

This might work too (although can’t vouch for the quality because it’s the first time I’ve seen it): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/38486165541 ... SwCHdia3bA
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

I finally got around to trying a MiSTer--I'm impressed.

I'm wondering though as I chose to go with the digital output run through an HDMI to VGA converter to a PVM...the dimensions seem larger than native RGB systems. More screen real estate seems to be cut off in with say the SNES core than a SNES running direct to the TV.

I noticed that it always decides to output something like 640x240, even when the source linecount isn't exactly 240. Could that be the reason?

For arcade titles, would running crtemudriver be more faithful to the native resolutions vs the MiSTer? Or is this in my head?

Thanks!
hiko13

Post by hiko13 »

Wondering if there's a resource for finding a CRT repair shop other than Google. There's a small discolored spot on my PVM that I can't unsee now; hoping it's an easy fix, but I am not capable enough to crack this thing open myself. Specifically looking in the Detroit area.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

A question that relates to very little on this board but :

Since the GBA backwards compatibility is a physical switch in the cartridge slot, would it be possible to have a flash cart with a flag to engage it and then have the chip in the cart work properly as a GB on a GBA?

Cause right now the best you get is Goomba Color emulating which ain't great. It would be cool to have a single cartridge that can do both modes in hardware.
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

HDgaming42 wrote:I finally got around to trying a MiSTer--I'm impressed.

I'm wondering though as I chose to go with the digital output run through an HDMI to VGA converter to a PVM...the dimensions seem larger than native RGB systems. More screen real estate seems to be cut off in with say the SNES core than a SNES running direct to the TV.

I noticed that it always decides to output something like 640x240, even when the source linecount isn't exactly 240. Could that be the reason?

For arcade titles, would running crtemudriver be more faithful to the native resolutions vs the MiSTer? Or is this in my head?

Thanks!
I'm still learning a lot about MiSTer. I've had it for a while, but I learned a lot from the My Life in Gaming video that came out recently. Learning how to adjust the INI file really helped me, as well as undertanding a bit more all the video options for each core. The HDMI monitor I'm using is 1920 x 1200, and works well. There's a scaling option for each core that allows it to be interger or interpolated scaling, and interger can be only vertical or both horizontal and vertical with a narrow and wide options.
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

I got a question?

PSX controller to USB.

What options are there that are good? All of them? A certain brand?

I'm looking to get PS1 and PS2 contollers working on my MiSTer.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Issac Zachary wrote:I got a question?

PSX controller to USB.

I hope things have changed these last years, but I had to buy 3x from Amazon and like 3x from AliExpress to find ONE single type that worked on PS1 and PS2 controllers on my Raspberry Pi and PC (which I then bought like 6x of). This was after researching and buying what people said worked for them... but I guess the suppliers changed between their posts and when I bought them...

...so I would suggest finding somebody who has bought them RECENTLY, confirmed they work, then buy those exact ones from that exact same seller.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Which of these consoles support Full Range RGB over HDMI? Are there any which only support Limited Range RGB over HDMI?

MiSTer Direct Video HDMI
N64 Digital HDMI
GameCube EON GCHD MK-II HDMI
WiiDual HDMI
Wii U HDMI
Switch HDMI
PS2 Future HDMI Mod
Dreamcast Digital HDMI

I plan on converting the HDMI signals from each console to analog to display on a BVM, and the HDMI->VGA Adapter will either be Full Range or Limited Range RGB. So I'd like to have all my consoles output the same ranges. If that's not possible, maybe simply going analog from every console might be better?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Ikaruga11 wrote:Which of these consoles support Full Range RGB over HDMI? Are there any which only support Limited Range RGB over HDMI?

MiSTer Direct Video HDMI
N64 Digital HDMI
GameCube EON GCHD MK-II HDMI
WiiDual HDMI
Wii U HDMI
Switch HDMI
PS2 Future HDMI Mod
Dreamcast Digital HDMI

I plan on converting the HDMI signals from each console to analog to display on a BVM, and the HDMI->VGA Adapter will either be Full Range or Limited Range RGB. So I'd like to have all my consoles output the same ranges. If that's not possible, maybe simply going analog from every console might be better?
Wii U is the only console there stuck with limited range RGB. All others should be fully configurable to either. Though I have to ask why you're HDMI modding all of these systems just to pass them through a DAC?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

PSX controller to USB.

Uhh, the PS3 controller natively uses USB, do you have one of those?
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

ldeveraux wrote:

PSX controller to USB.

Uhh, the PS3 controller natively uses USB, do you have one of those?
Thanks!

Yes, two controllers actually. You think that would be the way to go? I didn't even think of trying that. On the other hand, I don't have the USB cables for those, but I could get some. I only have a charging stand and have used them wirelessly with the PS3.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

A wired DualShock 3 is a bit laggier than a Dualshock 4, but not too bad: https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency
If you have a PS Classic controller that would be slightly better as well.