Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nmalinoski

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by nmalinoski »

ross wrote:The AV Famicom uses an external power supply so there’s no need for a step-down converter. Just get a US power supply or better yet a modern universal power supply.
Definitely need to make sure that the output from the PSU matches that of the console, because it's not always the same across regions.

For example, the PSU for the North American SNES outputs DC, but the PAL one, aside from being 50Hz instead of 60Hz, outputs AC; I encountered someone recently who had heard that you can just use a SNES PSU with the VB AC tap, but they didn't check the power output from their PAL SNES PSU before trying it and ended up frying their VB.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

nmalinoski wrote:
the PAL one, aside from being 50Hz instead of 60Hz, outputs AC; .
that's bizarre.

i guess maybe it's down to rectifying 240 vs 120/100VAC to DC?
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

NTSC toploader takes an AC input and that's what the PSU outputs, BUT you can just get a DC PSU and that will work fine, too. NES just converts it to DC internally anyway, so if you don't want to think about it, just get a DC PSU and you'll be fine.
lechu

Post by lechu »

I'm starting to think my AV Famicom question actually deserved its own thread. Now I'm actually more confused with all the conflicting answers.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

lechu wrote:I'm starting to think my AV Famicom question actually deserved its own thread. Now I'm actually more confused with all the conflicting answers.
Using the original AC adapter is fine, you shouldn’t run into any real issues. If you’re still concerned, use a model 1 Genesis AC adapter as it’s totally compatible with the AV Fami.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

sorry for the confusion. I should've stated that I was discussing, in particular, the effect on longevity of plugging japanese electronics directly in US outlets, and how it affects their longevity, considering they expect 100v and you're feeding them 120v.

For optimal result you could use a step up transformer, or buy a power adapter for your console that draws on 120v instead of 100v and outputs the right voltage that the console expects.
But it's gonna work fine if you plug the japanese power supply in an US outlet. it probably reduces the console's lifespan a tiny bit, but operation will still be good.

I plug my japanese consoles straight in the outlet myself. However, I have a japanese turntable that is rare-ish and costs between $500 and $1000 and for that item I have elected to use a step up transformer, since I really want it to last my lifetime and more. It's not something that's easy to find and it's more expensive so that's why I'm extra cautious with that one.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

FinalBaton wrote:For optimal result you could use a step up transformer...

However, I have a japanese turntable that is rare-ish and costs between $500 and $1000 and for that item I have elected to use a step up transformer...
Wouldn't that be a stepdown transformer if it's taking mains voltage and lowering it, whereas a stepup transformer would take a lower mains voltage and raise it?
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

ApolloBoy wrote:
lechu wrote:I'm starting to think my AV Famicom question actually deserved its own thread. Now I'm actually more confused with all the conflicting answers.
Using the original AC adapter is fine, you shouldn’t run into any real issues. If you’re still concerned, use a model 1 Genesis AC adapter as it’s totally compatible with the AV Fami.

This will work but the AV Famicom will get super hot. Since the original power supply is linear and designed for 100V AC, plugging it into 120V AC will have it output more voltage. Iirc the power supply is 10V 850 mA at 100V. If you have it plugged into 120V AC like most people in the states (or higher rarely lower) it will easily be 2 volts over the intended spec. Tl;dr your voltage regulator will have to dissipate that as heat.

My AV famicom used to get extremely hot with the original AV Famicom 10V 850 mA JP wal-wart after like 30-40 minutes. With a new US power supply power+ (the one hd retrovision recommended) or a genesis model 1 psu it can run for hours and not even get lukewarm.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

yes, stepdown. I always mix those
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
mbc01

Post by mbc01 »

Quick question, i was sure i posted a thread yesterday about RGB modding my tv, but im not sure it got approved.
is there any specific guidelines about creating threads i need to check first?

I really need some advice before i start ripping things apart out of this crt model.
lechu

Post by lechu »

I'd personally like to keep my equipment is good condition long term, so I'm guessing the converter is probably the best route for me.

Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.ca/BESTEK-Adapter-Co ... 29&sr=8-23
highzeth

Post by highzeth »

Anyone using Extron IN1604 in their setups? How does its scaler compare to the 301 HD? I use the latter with a OSSC and am very happy with it. If the 1604 uses the same silicon, the added HDMI inputs would be nice. Can get a few for cheap, so instead of a HDMI switcher, perhaps it could do the job of 2 devices?
Kez

Post by Kez »

lechu wrote:I'd personally like to keep my equipment is good condition long term, so I'm guessing the converter is probably the best route for me.

Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.ca/BESTEK-Adapter-Co ... 29&sr=8-23
No, as others have said you should just use an alternative PSU if you are not comfortable using the Japanese one, if you must use a step down it needs to be 120V -> 100V if you're in Canada.. but it really is overkill.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Should I have my BVM-D24's screen facing East or North for the best possible picture quality? Meaning the least amount of distortion with geometry, convergence and focus from the Earth's magnetic field. I know that you can select which cardinal direction it's facing in the menu to adjust for the Earth's magnetic field, but I was wondering if there is an optimal cardinal direction that yields the best results.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Anyone using Extron IN1604 in their setups?
I have the 1606. Scaling engine is the same, yes. AFL is missing though (automatic framerate lock). You can try on your 301 if you're missing it, once you switch it off. Not 100% sure if it has all the scaling options of the 301 (e.g. 1:1 pixel output bordered and frames to the output res) or just the limited option set as the DSC HD-HD.

Still a pretty nice machine, especially considering that these are dirt cheap by now.
highzeth

Post by highzeth »

Fudoh wrote:
Anyone using Extron IN1604 in their setups?
I have the 1606. Scaling engine is the same, yes. AFL is missing though (automatic framerate lock). You can try on your 301 if you're missing it, once you switch it off. Not 100% sure if it has all the scaling options of the 301 (e.g. 1:1 pixel output bordered and frames to the output res) or just the limited option set as the DSC HD-HD.

Still a pretty nice machine, especially considering that these are dirt cheap by now.
Thanks Fudoh! They are indeed cheap, I'll get a couple and see how they work out.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Has anyone ever painted a CRT case or bezel that has any tips or suggestions? I have a Trinitron with some serious wear and tear and thought I would make a project of it. Any suggestions for paint type, surface prep etc. appreciated. Thanks!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

GojiFan90 wrote:Has anyone ever painted a CRT case or bezel that has any tips or suggestions? I have a Trinitron with some serious wear and tear and thought I would make a project of it. Any suggestions for paint type, surface prep etc. appreciated. Thanks!
I have some fabrication experience. My advice is going to be "best possible DIY" level.

Ideally, you want industrial paint for plastics. Most of the best of these paints is only available in large quantities, so it's hard to get for a small project.

Fortunately, you can just use paint for car bumpers. If you go to an automotive paint store, you can tell them what you are trying to do, and they can mix something up for you with the correct properties. Make sure you tell them you want something for painting plastic. You'll want to bring the part with you so they can color match it to the original paint.

That route will cost you between 40-100 bucks. If you want them to, the paint shop should be able to put it in a spray can for you so you can just paint it with that. If you have one, and you know what you are doing, get the paint in a can and use your paint sprayer. In a can will be much cheaper.

This all depends on your skill with painting. If your technique sucks, you'll end up with drips and dots and that sort of thing. You may want to practice on something you don't care about to hone your skill. Pay specific attention to how quickly you move the sprayer and how close you are to the surface.

Prep for painting plastic is sanding until it's silky smooth up to like 3000 or 4000 with wet sandpaper. Try not to go below 1000 because plastic sands down quick. 800 is ok if you are really light and you have deep scratches. There are plastic prep solutions you should buy that are applied before painting. They make the paint stick much better and it will be less likely to peel off. I highly recommend doing it.

That's about it. Watch a bunch of youtube videos on painting plastic and the procedures, there are tons of them. Good luck.
immaburr

Post by immaburr »

Asked in correct thread
Last edited by immaburr on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

immaburr wrote:I've been seeing the great things that the gbs-control is able to do with the GBS-8200. I was wondering if this might work in my environment.
There's a thread for gbscontrol: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52172&start=3390
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Would removing all of the input cards from a BVM help it run cooler and increase its lifespan?
basketballer

Post by basketballer »

I've got a 1chip-01 SNES that I bought not working, trying to get it going. I see SMT C10 has damaged itself and contents leaked out. Anyone know what replacement that needs?
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

basketballer wrote:I've got a 1chip-01 SNES that I bought not working, trying to get it going. I see SMT C10 has damaged itself and contents leaked out. Anyone know what replacement that needs?
Capacitor C10 is a ceramic cap, there's nothing that could've "leaked". Can you show pics?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Does anyone here, perchance, make custom DE-15/'VGA' (15kHz tho) cables for their consoles? Kinda interested in commissioning a few (one for Saturn, one for PS1, one for PS2 - with 3.5mm audio breakouts. The type of sync doesn't matter, and 75ohm levels would be ideal) for the sake of making my A/V area as compact as can be (with a VGA switcher/matrix of some sort).
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

kitty666cats wrote:Does anyone here, perchance, make custom DE-15/'VGA' (15kHz tho) cables for their consoles? Kinda interested in commissioning a few (one for Saturn, one for PS1, one for PS2 - with 3.5mm audio breakouts. The type of sync doesn't matter, and 75ohm levels would be ideal) for the sake of making my A/V area as compact as can be (with a VGA switcher/matrix of some sort).
I have an Extron VGA Ars switch and I bought all my cables from retro-access. You can use their custom cable builder and select a DE-15 connector, and a 3.5mm audio breakout, though it looks like they're out of stock at the moment.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

kitty666cats wrote:Does anyone here, perchance, make custom DE-15/'VGA' (15kHz tho) cables for their consoles? Kinda interested in commissioning a few (one for Saturn, one for PS1, one for PS2 - with 3.5mm audio breakouts. The type of sync doesn't matter, and 75ohm levels would be ideal) for the sake of making my A/V area as compact as can be (with a VGA switcher/matrix of some sort).
Also, if you don't want to solder, you can get these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F9 ... UTF8&psc=1

you can cut the ends off of a console cable and just put the ends into the screw-down terminals. There is a ferrule and a strain relief in the end of the housing so it won't pull out.

They are still $12 plus whatever else for the cable, let's say about $20. It would be an ok solution for a quicky single cable.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I'm in the process of switching to DE-15 cables in my setup myself, routed in an Extron MVX (slim matrix, sturdy connector, separate audio wires, awesome setup IMO), I already had 2 cables ordered from retro-access and am waiting for her to re-open (guess it should be soon) to order a couple more. I like the cables I currently have and supposedly she improved the casing for the DE-15 connector and optional console-end sync-stripper now, so that's a plus I guess.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I'm gonna forego Extron entirely, I'm probably gonna try this passive switcher - I don't need really need 'cysnc', and since this thing is passive it should probably be fine.

Also eyeing the Kramer VP-411DS, just gotta double check what its deal with kHz / sync is.

Good call on those screw terminal shells! Could probably get a cheapo bulk order on AliExpress or something :) Just gotta learn how to throw together a nice clean way to break out audio
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

Anyone ever use an insurrection Gamecube HDMI cable with a HDMI to vga converter for use on a VGA CRT monitor such as a Dell?

Does it work? From reading there isn't any information if it would. The few reports I did find said they couldn't get it to sync with a passive adapter.
strayan

Post by strayan »

It won’t work with a passive adapter. Powered adapters work fine.