Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vol.2

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by vol.2 »

kitty666cats wrote:I'm gonna forego Extron entirely, I'm probably gonna try this passive switcher - I don't need really need 'cysnc', and since this thing is passive it should probably be fine.
Csync, or any other kind of sync, can be passed on a pin in the DE-15 connector. (as long as you maintain the signal) Easiest thing to do is use the correct pin assignment. The official pin is 13: https://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

So I guess this is as good a place (and time) to ask :

on my PVM-2950 there's an input for H/comp sync. but there's also an aditional one for V sync.

however this monitor only accepts 15kHz sources. So what is the V sync line used for?

Were there some 15kHz pc video standards/cards that required separate H and V sync or something? I'm guessing that's what it is but I'm curious to know which cards/modes/pc or other computer standard did. (would like to know all of them if possible)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

FinalBaton wrote:So I guess this is as good a place (and time) to ask :

on my PVM-2950 there's an input for H/comp sync. but there's also an aditional one for V sync.

however this monitor only accepts 15kHz sources. So what is the V sync line used for?

Were there some 15kHz pc video standards/cards that required separate H and V sync or something? I'm guessing that's what it is but I'm curious to know which cards/modes/pc or other computer standard did. (would like to know all of them if possible)
EGA, CGA, Amiga, Commodore, etc.

lots of early computers used RGBHV in 15kHz
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote:So I guess this is as good a place (and time) to ask :

Absolutely. RGB microcomputers all used RGBHV. There are some model Atari STs and MSX computers that also had composite sync, but generally TTL RGB signals had both. I believe the 2950 is also capable of taking an IBM intensity signal useful for those standards. It should work with 16 color EGA as well, just not the x400 line modes which are extremely rare anyway.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Ah, I had a hunch that was it. Thanks you two for the list of machines.

I was just gonna ask about RGBi. I don't see any mention of it in the 2950's manual. can this monitor realy handle RGBi?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote:Ah, I had a hunch that was it. Thanks you two for the list of machines.

I was just gonna ask about RGBi. I don't see any mention of it in the 2950's manual. can this monitor realy handle RGBi?
the 2030 and 2530 can, not sure, have to check. Edit: Actually no, sorry. I guess they removed the CMPT connector for the 2950. It's the only member of that family of PVMs without it. Looks like the freq response of that set is ~7MHz as opposed to ~10, so it probably doesn't have quite the same range.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yeah, I had remembered that the 2030/2530 can do digital RGB. But it seems like this one can't.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

strayan wrote:It won’t work with a passive adapter. Powered adapters work fine.
Will it work with this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B7CEOVK/?t ... gb_dp_vv_d

If not any recommendations?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:If not any recommendations?
that's a passive one. it's got to have the external usb power input. the portta seems like what people go by here in general. portta
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

Got the blackbird 8x1 for the HD systems in my setup, but it thinks that my xbox one and framemeister are on even when they aren't. This is preventing automatic switching and thwarting my quest for a fully automatic setup. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I basically never want to touch a button besides the tv and individual console power. Is that too much to ask?
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Is there a good Windows utility or web site for testing rumble on controllers? I have an 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ and when I use it on PC, every once in a while it just gets stuck rumbling until I turn it off and back on again. They suggested I downgrade my firmware and that seems to fix it - from what I can tell, it only happens from 3.02 onward - but I'd like to see if I can find a utility that lets me really dive in and try to figure out what specifically is causing it. Something that lets me specify the strength of the rumble and possibly the length? I'm trying to see if I can replicate what is happening in the game that triggers it. It's pretty annoying, but so is using an older firmware, soooo it's kind of a lose-lose right now. I could always turn rumble off, but it's useful for certain things, so I'm wondering if lowering the intensity in the Ultimate Software might help. In which case, having a repeatable test would be useful.
erik343

Post by erik343 »

I could not find a general Sega Genesis thread. I am curious if the Sega Genesis supports RGB with CSYNC natively without modification? If, no then I am going to do a bypass mod from Vaultar!
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

erik343 wrote:I could not find a general Sega Genesis thread. I am curious if the Sega Genesis supports RGB with CSYNC natively without modification? If, no then I am going to do a bypass mod from Vaultar!
The bypass is primarily concerned with image quality, not sync. The Genesis 1 outputs c-sync, AFAIK, but I'm not sure about the 2 and 3. You could check out RetroRGB and My Life in Gaming for more details.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

What is the difference between a power conditioner and a voltage regulator? Is it just marketing terms, or is there something more to it than that? From what I understand:

Voltage Regulator (Most Features)
|
Power Conditioner
|
Surge Protector
|
Power Strip/Outlet Extension
|
Extension Cord
|
Nothing (Directly into Wall Outlet) (Least Features)
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

GeneraLight wrote:What is the difference between a power conditioner and a voltage regulator?
By "voltage regulator" are you talking about a bench-top power supply? Or are you talking about an actually voltage regulator that is a discrete component?

A bench power supply typically allows you to control the voltage and the available current (so you can current limit yourself). A voltage regulator (the discrete component) is an IC that is designed to output a particularly stable (generally predefined) voltage. They tend to have a voltage input range that is wider than the output range. Over-voltage is dissipated as heat.

A power conditioner removes noise from power. You can buy "power conditioners" for hifi setups so that your wall AC is cleaned up for your equipment and does not impart unwanted ripple into your audio signal path.

Is that helpful?
erik343

Post by erik343 »

Quick question: Does the N64RGB (Tim Worthington) mod support CSYNC (like not sync on luma and not sync on composite)? Also, is the UltraHDMI mod digital to digital just like the WII Dual mod?

Thanks!

Erik W.
Dr. Claw

Post by Dr. Claw »

This latest development is driving me mad.

Here's my setup: Consoles -> Impact 6x2 ---> TV YPbPr (Output 1), OSSC (Output 2). From OSSC it goes to a Blackbird 5x1 4K Presentation switch to the TV.

My issue is specifically with the SNES (which BTW is a stock 2-CHIP from '91). I have been using transcoded S-Video first through a RetroTink to cheap component transcoder, and now through the Koryuu to use with the TV and OSSC. In the latter case I get 5x OSSC compatibility either through the Blackbird or directly to the TV.

Without OSSC, my TV treats this signal as "480i" but I really can't tell that this is an interlaced signal. Flashing objects appear appropriately, there is no combing, and as long as I use "game mode" there is not any real obtrusive lag. This is true of other 240p signals (i.e. Genesis, PS1 on PS2, Saturn). As an added bonus, when playing a game like Chrono Cross through the Component input, there is no blackout when going from game play to menu.

Then I got HD Retrovision cables for the SNES. Unlike other consoles, the picture blinks in and out when viewing through the component input. I still get 5x on OSSC, provided it goes through the Blackbird.

This behavior is present on both of the flat panels on which I game: a Sony 4K TV (X720E), and an older Sony 1080p TV (EX400 32").

But here's something weird: if I take the HD Retrovision cables and plug them into the Retrotink and put it in transcoding mode (240p out) and then plug the output directly to the TV, I get a stable picture with no "blinking". The TV treats it like all other 240p sources.

I'm aware of the SNES jitter issues but I have only seen this with 240p over component. Composite and (transcoded) S-Video work fine on these TVs and in the OSSC. Are those not 240p as well? Transcoded COMPONENT at 240p works with a RetroTink. Anyone else experienced this?
Kez

Post by Kez »

erik343 wrote: Does the N64RGB (Tim Worthington) mod support CSYNC
ls the UltraHDMI mod digital to digital
Yes and yes, although UltraHDMI has options for higher resolutions than WiiDual.
erik343

Post by erik343 »

Kez wrote:
erik343 wrote: Does the N64RGB (Tim Worthington) mod support CSYNC
ls the UltraHDMI mod digital to digital
Yes and yes, although UltraHDMI has options for higher resolutions than WiiDual.
Did you mean that the UltraHDMI has a higher resolution (1080p) than the N64RGB (480i) instead (did you make a typo...)?

Also, does the Wii Dual RGB line support CSYNC (instead of sync on luma and sync on composite)?

How does the UltraHDMI display 1080p? Is the resolution internally 1080p or something? Is it just upscaled like the Framemesiter XRGB-mini does?

Does the stock N64 support 480p? or just 240p/480i?
makar1

Post by makar1 »

erik343 wrote: Did you mean that the UltraHDMI has a higher resolution (1080p) than the N64RGB (480i) instead (did you make a typo...)?
How does the UltraHDMI display 1080p? Is the resolution internally 1080p or something? Is it just upscaled like the Framemesiter XRGB-mini does?
Does the stock N64 support 480p? or just 240p/480i?
The UltraHDMI has a line multiplier function similar to the OSSC, where lines are repeated to create a sharp image without smoothing. N64s by default either output 240p or 480i. The UltraHDMI can multiply 240p to 480p/720p. 1080p is a non-integer 4.5x scale, so some smoothing will be present in this mode.
erik343 wrote: Also, does the Wii Dual RGB line support CSYNC (instead of sync on luma and sync on composite)?
The Wii Dual does support CSYNC with a special custom-made cable.

https://shop.dansprojects.com/wiidual-k ... order.html
erik343

Post by erik343 »

Does RGBS via SCART support 480p/720p/1080i or 31Khz signals? Are these resolutions (31Khz) supported by the Framemeister XRGB-mini's RGB input and by the OSSC's RGB SCART input?

I know that composite/s-video supports up to 480i and that component supports 480i/480p/720p/1080i

Thanks.

Erik W.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

erik343 wrote:Does RGBS via SCART support 480p/720p/1080i or 31Khz signals?
It depends on what devices you're talking about and how you want to define "SCART". If we're talking SCART in a TV context, I believe most SCART-native displays would only accept 15kHz RGBS from their SCART inputs. Support for YPbPr also existed in a limited number of sets, but it's not clear to me whether that was also limited to 15kHz or if it could support 31kHz+ modes as well.

If we're talking just the cables, a decent-quality SCART cable is physically capable of transmitting anything from 240p/480i to 1080p (and possibly more, depending on the physical properties of the cable); the question then is whether or not the device to which you're connecting that cable will support those modes. If, instead, we're talking an OSSC, I believe that will accept at least 1080p, maybe 1920x1200 (I think the highest-resolution mode the OSSC's HDMI TX chip supports).
erik343 wrote:Are these resolutions (31Khz) supported by the Framemeister XRGB-mini's RGB input and by the OSSC's RGB SCART input?
Those modes are not collectively 31kHz; 480p60/576p50 is 31kHz, 1080i60 is 33kHz, 720p60 is 45kHz, and 1080p60 is 67kHz.
erik343 wrote:I know that composite/s-video supports up to 480i and that component supports 480i/480p/720p/1080i
Composite and S-Video are indeed limited to 15kHz (240p60/288p50/480i60/576i50, and I think also 480p30/576p25); but what YPbPr supports mainly comes down to what the connected devices support; my Samsung LCD circa 2009 will accept NTSC modes as low as 240p60 through 1080p60 over YPbPr (although with significant ringing in 1080p), while my Sony CRT will only accept 15kHz NTSC modes. Most YPbPr devices should be capable of at least 480i through 1080i, but some devices, like the PS3 and Xbox 360, are capable of outputting 1080p over YPbPr, and some displays will accept it.
erik343

Post by erik343 »

Do you happen to know what resolutions/frame rates that the Framemeister XRGB-mini supports on its RGB input? I read somewhere that 480p/60hz is compatible, but what about 720p, 1080i, or even 1080p? Just curious...
Kez

Post by Kez »

erik343 wrote:
Kez wrote:Yes and yes, although UltraHDMI has options for higher resolutions than WiiDual.
Did you mean that the UltraHDMI has a higher resolution (1080p) than the N64RGB (480i) instead (did you make a typo...)?
No, sorry I got a bit pedantic but you said is the WiiDual just like the UltraHDMI.. but the WiiDual is mostly a digital output with minimal scaling options, whereas the N64 UltraHDMI has a bunch of output resolutions etc.
erik343 wrote:Do you happen to know what resolutions/frame rates that the Framemeister XRGB-mini supports on its RGB input? I read somewhere that 480p/60hz is compatible, but what about 720p, 1080i, or even 1080p? Just curious...
It should work with all those resolutions over RGB, but there is not much reason to do so.
erik343

Post by erik343 »

Does the OSSC support 480p/720p/1080i on the component input? Like for an original XBOX?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

erik343 wrote:Does the OSSC support 480p/720p/1080i on the component input? Like for an original XBOX?
The OSSC should be able to take everything from 240p to 1080p on every input.
erik343

Post by erik343 »

nmalinoski wrote:
erik343 wrote:Does the OSSC support 480p/720p/1080i on the component input? Like for an original XBOX?
Is this the same for the Framemeister XRGB-mini (component and RGB inputs)?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

erik343 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
Is this the same for the Framemeister XRGB-mini (component and RGB inputs)?
Kez responded to this above.
erik343

Post by erik343 »

OK, thanks, but I was wondering if those resolutions were supported over component and not just the RGB input on the Framemeister.

Lastly, do you know what the VGA port on the OSSC is for, and what resolutions does that VGA port support?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

erik343 wrote:OK, thanks...

Lastly, do you know what the VGA port on the OSSC is for...
For the most part, it's for high-quality sources (mainly PCs, probably also high-end video processors that output proper VGA) that use TTL (5V) sync, as opposed to AV1 and AV2 that require video-level (1Vp-p) sync. AV3's low-pass filtering is only applicable to 960p/1080p, so you really want AV1 and AV2 for everything else.
erik343 wrote:...and what resolutions does that VGA port support?
nmalinoski wrote: