Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
beatsgo

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by beatsgo »

SharkSkin-Man wrote:Does anybody know where I can get 10 pin mini-din connectors (male) or 10-pin to 10-pin cables?
AudioGuru has connectors available here. I don't know why, but cheap 10-pin mini-din cables are getting harder to find these days. :/
Fudoh wrote:
According to the owner's manual, it can output 240p and takes in composite sync as well.
I think he was refering to the conversion. If you use the Sony to downconvert 31 to 15khz you get 480i, not 240p.
Wait, so the 0.73 kHz make the difference between an interlaced and progressive scan signal?

...and a question I want to ask. Where can I find a Sega System 8 to JAMMA converter for cheap in the US?
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
ryu

Post by ryu »

Wait, so the 0.73 kHz make the difference between an interlaced and progressive scan signal?
nope, 15.7khz is almost always what people mean when they say 15khz. same goes for 31khz which is actually 31.5khz
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
22point8

Post by 22point8 »

Having missed out on a Sony DSC-1024 scan converter on ebay, can anyone recommend a device which can:

reposition the picture left/right/up/down?
adjust vert/hori picture size?
adjust picture rotation
accept rgb and composite video as sync input via scart, rca or bnc connectors?
accept 240p/480i?
output via dsub 15/scart/rgbs/rgsb bnc connectors?
output 240p without turning it into 480i?
built in test patterns would be nice
downscan conversion would be nice

My setup is PS1/PS2/Wii connected by rgb scart to a manual scart switch, the output is a scart to 4 rca (red, green, blue, composite video) adapter, then rg59 rca to bnc cables into a PVM-2044QM which has no service menu or on screen display.

Basically I want to get rid of the varying horizontal shift from the consoles. Also my PVM has a 1mm height difference between the top/top right and bottom left/bottom right so the picture is slightly rotated, the v angle pot doesn't affect this, and the v blanking pot is inconveniently right under the vacuum tube so I can't hide the rotation.

If the device doesn't output 240p, I have an Extron RGB 109xi to get pseudo 240p from but then it needs clean sync and a dsub15 input and I don't have a scart to dsub 15 cable or a sync stripper. I don't really feel like paying £28+ for a sync strike, if its easy enough I could try making scart to lm1881n to dsub 15 cable, but I'm pretty crap at soldering.

One device I've seen is a Konig Teleview 2 but I'm not sure it does everything I want.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

vertical resizing can't be done on an analogue stage without scaling.

You're cheaper off by buying another monitor.
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

I'm looking to make a 1p Egret II CP.
Does anyone know a place that sells these blank panels? (US seller preferred)
Starcab.net is the only place I found so far with blank Taito panels but they only have a 2P12B panel listed.
I want a single player :!:

(I'm trying not to settle for a SEGA panel, but if the price is good enough I just may...)
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

I know that this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a good answer (read: I'm too lazy to look through older threads).

What would be the best option for a simple component to HDMI transcoder. I only need 480p in and 480p out. If it does some kind of deinterlacing that's fine but I doubt there are any cheap ones with decent quality.

Also, what would be the cheapest way to strip HDCP in Europe / Germany? I know of the the Monoprice DVI->HDMI device and a ViewHD splitter. The splitter only costs $25.90 incl shipping to Europe (+19% import tax [edit: no import tax as it's < 22€]), but isn't there anything that's sold within the EU?
Last edited by blizzz on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Do you have a working link to that ViewHD Splitter ? Anymore information on this one ? I find that to be ultra cheap for a working HDCP stripper and would buy one to check it out.

For 480p Component to HDMI I've made very good experiences with the Lenkeng unit. This one: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Wii-YPbPr-Compon ... 19c16cbc7e

current versions are missing the Coax input though.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Oh, I shortened the Amazon.com link like I always do for Amazon.de stuff, but it looks like they use a different schema...
Here's the fixed link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F9LVXC
And here's someone who tested it: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post ... re_64.html (user Dark_Storm)
Last edited by blizzz on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

where did you read about it's HDCP-stripping capabilities ?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Fudoh wrote:where did you read about it's HDCP-stripping capabilities ?
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post ... re_26.html
4th post in that thread (Meiru), on the next page is another user who confirmed it (Dark_Storm).

Are you sure that the eBay auction is a Lenkeng unit? Doesn't mention the brand anywhere.
Edit: Oh, just saw that you mention the silver version on your site. Will try it out :)
Last edited by blizzz on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Are you sure that the eBay auction is a Lenkeng unit? Doesn't mention the brand anywhere.
yes, I bought it - this exact auction. My unit says Lenkeng. It's the LKV5000. Really great quality.

PS: bought of the those ViewHD splitters to give it a try. Would certainly be easier than anything else I have at home.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Fudoh wrote:PS: bought of the those ViewHD splitters to give it a try. Would certainly be easier than anything else I have at home.
Tell me how it performs and I'll buy one too. Just ordered the Lenkeng box :)
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

That ViewHD HDMI splitter looks like the same form factor as the Sewell one I bought from Amazon. It lets me hookup my PS3 to HDMI when I capture for streaming so I can attest to the "undocumented" HDCP stripping.
Aubrey123

Post by Aubrey123 »

I have a Sony PVM-1442QM, and the picture flickers horizontally from left to right if it's given a 60Hz signal (only by the equivalent of a few pixels, but it's incredibly annoying). This happens with my Japanese PS2, with the switch on my MD in the 60Hz position and also if a PAL PS2 game like Psyvariar or R-Type final is switched to 60Hz mode. I've tried adjusting the V-hold knob on the back and this doesn't solve the problem. The games consoles are plugged in to a Holdan HSR-1000 SCART router, and then into the RGB and sync BNC thingies on the monitor. I've run the MD through the Holdan router on my LCD TV in 60Hz mode and there's no shaking, so I think that confirms the problem isn't there.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, and if so is it easily solvable?

I've had trouble finding any info elsewhere and there seems to be quite a concentration of CRT expertise round here, so it seems like the best place to ask.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
22point8

Post by 22point8 »

I have a few more questions:
1)I got my 1454qm down from the top of my wardrobe and it has the exact same picture rotation problem as my 2044qm, I have a Trinitron KV21-LS30U in a cupboard and that HAD the problem, but that TV has an RGB picture shift function, which is very handy, and also has a screen rotation function which works the same way. So, my question is... is there some kind of geomagnetic thing going on in my room rotating the picture on 3 CRTs?

2) My PVM 2044qm is set to the highest contrast without scanlines disappearing or thinning from any of the colour bars on the 240p test suite. The brightness is set by the brightness test in Crisis Zone (numbers 1-8, 8 should be invisible). When I got my 1454qm down to see how much difference in picture position there is between composite and rgb I noticed how much brighter it was than the 2044qm with the same settings (handily locked in with the presets function). So, my question is... can I adjust the screen voltage control on the 2044qm to get more light output, without ruining the screen forever, or clipping the colours or losing focus?

3) How hard is it to build Viletim's horizontal shifter? I can't read circuit diagrams.

In case anyone wanted to know, light guns do work on PVMs (GunCon 1 and 2), but you need a certain level light output from the screen. I have to turn brightness up a few presses to play Virtua Cop Elite Edition.
SharkSkin-Man

Post by SharkSkin-Man »

beatsgo wrote:
SharkSkin-Man wrote:Does anybody know where I can get 10 pin mini-din connectors (male) or 10-pin to 10-pin cables?
AudioGuru has connectors available here. I don't know why, but cheap 10-pin mini-din cables are getting harder to find these days. :/
Thanks, looks like they're out at the moment though.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

What's the best way to play Dreamcast on a plasma TV without a VGA input?

I will probably be purchasing an XRGB mini, and I believe there is an option to hook VGA through that, but I don't know if that's appropriate for 480p signals? Or would that work just fine?

Thanks 8)
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Forgive me, as I'm sure this has been answered before. When I tate my TV, even if I leave it off for a day, it still has discoloration. However, if I rotate it along the yaw axis, I can completely get rid of the discoloration, or make it worse. It seems like if I have it facing the cardinal directions (or maybe just north/south), it's perfect. Is there any "real" reason for this, or is it just coincidence? How can I "fix" it so that it stops caring about it's rotation?
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What's the best way to play Dreamcast on a plasma TV without a VGA input?
most of the $35 VGA to HDMI converters will do a pretty good job. Just make sure you get a converter that does no scaling on it's own, but just passes the input. Getting a Framemeister is fine as well, but it requires a special cable to connect a VGA source to it.
ryu

Post by ryu »

i get some weird noise (very small diagonal lines moving from the left to right constantly) when i hook up my snes to my xrgb-2. anyone know what could be causing this?
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

ryu wrote:i get some weird noise (very small diagonal lines moving from the left to right constantly) when i hook up my snes to my xrgb-2. anyone know what could be causing this?
Are you using a PAL SNES? This issue has come up before, but I think the solution was to switch to a NTSC console...
ryu

Post by ryu »

blizzz wrote:
ryu wrote:i get some weird noise (very small diagonal lines moving from the left to right constantly) when i hook up my snes to my xrgb-2. anyone know what could be causing this?
Are you using a PAL SNES? This issue has come up before, but I think the solution was to switch to a NTSC console...
hm alright. i was planning on getting a super famicom sometime for the long run anyways. was this in the general snes thread in the hardware section? guess i should check out the discussion where this has come up before :)
Viz

Post by Viz »

Hello, I just bought a Sony pvm 14m4e, i ordered the cables from retrogamingcables, i ordered the BNC > Female scart one. the one for 30.
Now, when theese cables arrived i hooked them up like this:
Red - R-R/y in
green - G/y in
bluye b/b-y in
yellow - sync

And I chained it like this:
PVM > BNC > Female scart < male scart > DVD player.
And my picture is all purplish, could someone tell me what i plugged in wrong?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

ryu wrote:hm alright. i was planning on getting a super famicom sometime for the long run anyways. was this in the general snes thread in the hardware section? guess i should check out the discussion where this has come up before :)
Here it is: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42376
ryu

Post by ryu »

blizzz wrote:
ryu wrote:hm alright. i was planning on getting a super famicom sometime for the long run anyways. was this in the general snes thread in the hardware section? guess i should check out the discussion where this has come up before :)
Here it is: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42376
thanks! i have a sync stripper already anways. i'll try that with a vga to scart cable. that should work i guess.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Does anyone know if the Wii U VC outputs 240p RGB? It looks like Nintendo will finally release 60Hz version of the Virtual Console games in Europe, starting with F-Zero today (for just 30 cents)!
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

I just tested it myself. The Wii U is limited to 480i / 576i on the analogue output :(
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

How do I best go about hooking up a Vigatec FX2+ through/from scart? :mrgreen:

(According to the manual, the PC VGA input seems to be just a pass through)

For the sake of simplicity, I've until now continued to use one of those scart to component converters from eBay. But the color isn't totally accurate I've noticed and
it's hard to correctly fix that using the pots inside, so I want to go directly from RGB scart to this unit.

Would a cable like this work, for example?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300864314091? ... 1438.l2649
CHECKPOINT!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You basically answered your own question. The 2nd input from the left is the RGBs input (4x RCA/Cinch).

The cable you linked to should work (if used with a Scart/Scart coupler). Note that Scart to RCA is differently wired than RCA to Scart and with a male scart cable you can never tell (while the one on ebay sounds right). Also I wouldn't neccessarily but a 10m cable - can't be good for the quality.

(and yes, the VGA input on the FX2+ is just a passthrough)
moh

Post by moh »

Just realized that the fan on my blast city power supply doesn't spin. anyone know where I can find a replacement?
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.