Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
gundamalpha

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by gundamalpha »

Fudoh wrote:Most TV sets with scart inputs only had one RGB-enabled one. The second one was composite and s-video only. That's true for most Sony sets for example. Sony used blue for the 2nd input on some set, but not on all.
How about Grundig or Loewe? Do they have special colour for RGB inputs? Can't find any info on these sets anymore, either they are completely obsolete or discussed in German in other forums which I can't understand
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I would always assume that only one Scart inputs handles RGB. A friend had a Loewe in the early 90s and we found out the hard way :)
ryu

Post by ryu »

what are 480i dropshadows?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

you probably mean 30Hz dropshadows in 240p content (right?).

Systems which don't have transparency used a 30Hz flicher to emulate a transparent look. For example the shadows under the enemy ships in most Cave shooters - or the character shadows in Street Fighter or most SNK fighting games. If a deinterlacer can't tell 240p from 480i, it will try to deinterlace those drop shadows which can result in a number of unwanted effects - from solid black to combing errors....
ryu

Post by ryu »

alright. good thing i'm only interested in deinterlacing 480i 3d games anyways (ps2 and gcn stuff). there shouldn't be any problems with those, right?

i'm thinking of getting a proper upgrade over the hdboxpro.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There are a hundred things which can go wrong with 480i deinterlacing, but I'm sure you'll check back with us here before you buy anything.
ryu

Post by ryu »

i hope that's not as bad as it sounds. :?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There are many completely different approaches to deinterlacing 480i material. Some bring out more detail (good for text heavy games), while they tend to produce combing errors, other have less detail because they work with a single field of video (240 lines) and therefore have only little lag. 480i deinteralcing is *THE* crown discipline and far from simple. Much more complicated than 240p linedoubling.
ryu

Post by ryu »

other have less detail because they work with a single field of video (240 lines) and therefore have only little lag
is this the category the hdboxpro falls under? since the main issues i'm having with this device are bad colours and a lack of detail.

i'm pretty sure my pgm's scaler was doing the other thing as that one introduced a lot of really bad combing errors.

what i'm looking for is as much detail as possible, without any very noticable combing errors and lag. dunno if that is even feasible. but what it boils down to is that the picture should be better or as good as the normal 480i picture w/o all that flickering.

btw is dust an issue for a sync stripper pcb? i don't want to purchase the encasement for the sync strike unless it's actually necessary.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

what i'm looking for is as much detail as possible, without any very noticable combing errors and lag.
cheap ? No.
tw is dust an issue for a sync stripper pcb? i don't want to purchase the encasement for the sync strike unless it's actually necessary.
I can't imagine that it's a problem...
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:
what i'm looking for is as much detail as possible, without any very noticable combing errors and lag.
cheap ? No.
not that i was expecting anything else. i've been leaning towards the vp30 with ABTcard. does that perform well enough to be worth the price?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Of course, terrific performance for the price. The one offered here lately (now on ebay) is a bargain.

The ABT102 allows to switch between different deinterlacing modes. A high-detail one for RPGs and slower games and and a game mode with single field processing for fast actions games.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Hi All,

I am building a cheap supergun/test rig and would like to display the image on my SCART-less LCD display, which has component video inputs.

It is nothing fancy: Salvaged an ATX PSU and got the correct voltages to the JAMMA harness and now running some video signals from the harness (confirmed with about 2V running out from R, G and B).

I added a 220 ohm resistor to each R, G and B and also a 1K ohm resistor on Sync before wiring up to a SCART connector with Sync on pin 20 and daisy chained all the grounds.

When used in combination with the CYS-2100 it did not produce a picture at all.

Is there something I am missing or done wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated!

THANKS
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

rugdoctor wrote:Hi All,

I am building a cheap supergun/test rig and would like to display the image on my SCART-less LCD display, which has component video inputs.

It is nothing fancy: Salvaged an ATX PSU and got the correct voltages to the JAMMA harness and now running some video signals from the harness (confirmed with about 2V running out from R, G and B).

I added a 220 ohm resistor to each R, G and B and also a 1K ohm resistor on Sync before wiring up to a SCART connector with Sync on pin 20 and daisy chained all the grounds.

When used in combination with the CYS-2100 it did not produce a picture at all.

Is there something I am missing or done wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated!

THANKS
is your lcd a sony by chance? I have the csy-2100 knockoff that is available on ebay and I can't get it to produce a picture on my sony tv.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Why it was! One of them is a SONY and there was nothing going on there and also my 42" Samsung, no joy there as well.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

I have read conflicting reports about the csy when it comes to sync. I read somewhere that it can only use composite video as sync, but I read elsewhere that it was compatible with arcade boards. all I know is that it wouldn't produce a picture on my sony tv no matter which console i tried, and all my consoles cables use cvbs as sync...
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Yeah, same, I have use the xbox1, 360, ps2 and ps3 successfully with the CYS-2100 in the past which lead me to believe that it can only work with "sync on composite" inputs only AND further increasing my suspicion that it only handles composite video to component (!!) Maybe the last finding is a bit far fetched but I honestly dont know why it is not working...
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

worst case senario is for me to clear out more space for my 14" pvm and see if it recognise it.

edit: All fixed :lol: Silly me wired the composite sync to pin 18 instead of pin 20... :roll: Glad to report the CYS-2100 is fully functional and my sony lcd is displaying solid and sharpish (tbh, gash compared to a crt, but we all know that :wink: )picture. Not going all out on this as its my test rig and can have more room on the bench for other stuff.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

Does GroovyMame (and more specifically GroovyArcade) work well with LCDs? I would be running at a fixed rez obviously, and not at arcade resolutions, but I'd rather use a prebuilt linux distro instead of mucking about with windows on this mame cabinet I'm helping finish.
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

Can someone read this review http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/grundige ... olby.shtml (in German) and tell if this has component input please?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

it does not.
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

Fudoh wrote:it does not.
Stainomo

Post by Stainomo »

Soon getting some tax returns and looking at a new TV - currently using a sanyo Z4 720p projector - i like it but it's not always that good at colors + i'd like to get 1080p for pc games on.

What i'm looking for

40-50" TV
and offcourse good picture quality

What i would like

VGA input so i can use an SLG3000 with my iscan HD - but this does not seem to be available on all tv's in my budget

What i don't need

3D
Smarttv

Budget - max 750 euros

Any recommendations?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I would chose a Sony HX750 (or 755), if you're on a budget. Or a 855 if movies are a priority. Available in 46".

Missing VGA is not that much of an issue, since lag-free VGA to HDMI converters are only about $40.
Stainomo

Post by Stainomo »

Okay, that fixes my vga doubts

Sony KDL-40HX750 - 740 euro's - in budget

46 1000 euro's

46HX855 is 1400 euro's

all quite expensive - and i'd rather have closer to 50 then 40 inch offcourse.

It's quite difficult to research this since noone cares about input lag on decent review sites (can be compensated by a reciever)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Both the HX7 and HX8 models average in at about 28-32ms input lag. Panasonic's plasma models were faster a few years ago, but recent models have the exact same input lag (2 frames).

>> It's quite difficult to research this since noone cares about input lag on decent review sites

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/ does.

>> (can be compensated by a reciever)

not sure what you mean by that. The input measured in all reviews is for progressive 1080p sources already. If you feed SD the input lag (usually) increases a lot.
Stainomo

Post by Stainomo »

Thanks for the link!

i was talking about lip-sync capibilities - for watching movies this can compensate input lag ;)
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

Want to ask something about reverse engineering :lol:

My current XRGB set up goes like this:
scart > scart to JP RGB adapter (female to male) > XRGB

I want to ask can I use a JP RGB source to scart (RGB) input like this:
JP RGB (male) > scart selector > scart to JP RGB adapter (male end connected to the selector) > scart cable (male to male) > scart input

Hope that makes sense :P
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no, doesn't work.

If you want to use a scart switch you have to use Euro-Scart cables on the inputs. On the output, you can use a male to male EU to JP converter.

The EU to JP converter also doesn't work in the other direction.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

So... I recently got a PSX mouse. I then tried it by playing a US PSX game on a modded PAL PS2. The left mouse button doesn't work (right mouse button does, mouse movement does).

Is it safe to assume the mouse is defect? There's no weird PS2 compatibility issues, or region issues, with PSX mice? Or any conflicts with modchips?

Return shipping is pretty expensive, as is buying a PAL PSX game (to try the mouse with my PSX or secondary non-modded PS2).