Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nmalinoski

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by nmalinoski »

okerlo wrote:I'm currently trying to connect my Japanese PS1 via (Euro-Scart) RGB-cable to my random consumer CRT.
I have sound but a weird super dark picture with somewhat visible contours. The cable itself works perfectly fine on my (somewhat) modern LCD-Television.
Is this an NTSC issue? Sync stuff? I have no clue :D

Maybe you have an idea.

Thanks in advance!
Make sure that your SCART cable has 220uF capacitors on the RGB lines. PAL uses resistors, and PS2/PS3 SCART cables do not have capacitors in the cables, because those were moved into the console.
SubHumanTrash

Post by SubHumanTrash »

I have the opportunity to pick up a Panasonic TX-29FJ50A but I'm not sure if it's 50hz or 100hz. Does anyone own one or just know which it is?
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

Retrotink 2X Mini
https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/2x-mini
I looked on the website, I looked in the online manual, I watched retro-rgb's review of the unit, but couldn't see the answer to this question.
Does anyone know what the new Retrotink 2x mini does with an interlace signal? Does it pass it through for the tv to deinterlace, or does it do bob deinterlacing?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

SubHumanTrash wrote:I have the opportunity to pick up a Panasonic TX-29FJ50A but I'm not sure if it's 50hz or 100hz. Does anyone own one or just know which it is?
according to the user manual that model (A) is 50Hz. I'm just going to assume you typoed the 100Hz? It's 50 or 60.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11850 ... e=2#manual
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

vol.2 wrote:I'm just going to assume you typoed the 100Hz? It's 50 or 60.
100Hz TVs were quite popular in the final years of CRTs in PAL regions.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

BuckoA51 wrote:
Rebirth technically isn't a virtual console title, but a regular Wii download title. No 240p there. I recall that only the NTSC version does run in 480p. I tried the same back then with the PAL version, no dice. Had to switch to the NTSC version instead. This is from far memory though - - -
I tried them both, they both go into 480i regardless of how the Wii is set.
I got it to work in 480p on a PAL Wii by loading it into Neek using the US version on a US NTSC Nand.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

ASDR wrote:
100Hz TVs were quite popular in the final years of CRTs in PAL regions.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Well it's 50HZ IAC.
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Does the Gamecube have any games that switch resolution like the PS1/N64 and how does the GCHD MkII handle these switches? I assume mainly just games like Retro Compilations that have 480i/p menus switch to 240p ingame?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

AaronSR wrote:Does the Gamecube have any games that switch resolution like the PS1/N64 and how does the GCHD MkII handle these switches? I assume mainly just games like Retro Compilations that have 480i/p menus switch to 240p ingame?
Gonna say no. I don't have extensive knowledge of the GameCube library, but it looks like almost everything is 480i, with the majority also supporting 480p, and no 240p/480i resolution switching between gameplay and menus like the prior two generations.

There are two games, however, Mega Man X Collection and The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition, that run their emulated games at 240p. I don't have direct experience with either of these collections, but, from what I gather, the games contained therein output in 240p fulltime. The startup menus might be in 480i or 480p, but selecting a game will put you in 240p until you quit the game (assuming you can) or reboot the console.

As for how GCVideo handles resolution switches, I believe it handles it the same way most line multipliers will, with HDMI blackouts.
arrghus8

Post by arrghus8 »

AaronSR wrote:Does the Gamecube have any games that switch resolution like the PS1/N64 and how does the GCHD MkII handle these switches? I assume mainly just games like Retro Compilations that have 480i/p menus switch to 240p ingame?
I've been playing Rogue Squadron II lately using GCVideo, which runs at 480p. Unfortunately, there's a short HDMI dropout when transitioning between cutscenes and gameplay (particularly annoying when a crash cutscene finishes and you miss the first second or two of your next life). The strange thing is, if I use the analog output into a Framemeister, there is no resolution change or loss of signal, so I'm not sure what's causing the blackouts.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

arrghus8 wrote: Unfortunately, there's a short HDMI dropout when transitioning between cutscenes and gameplay
There doesn't have to be a resolution change for there to be an HDMI handshake issue. It's also possible that your display is less tolerant of the drop-outs than others, HDMI is very much a YMMV kind of situation.

That being said, there is a GCVideo thread here somewhere, so your question has already "deserved it's own thread." You might want to post there.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Anyone up to date on the Sinden Lightgun? Looks like beta testers/youtubers got theirs around a month ago, and you can order for a batch shipping in January on the Indiegogo page.

What I'm curious about is original hardware support. It's PS1 and PS2 right now but requires both a raspberry pi and an arduino? Is something simpler being worked on?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Anybody know if Borti’s all in one SuperCIC SNES mod is actually available anywhere?

https://8bitmods.com/supercic-aio-with- ... -dejitter/

This is the only site where I’ve ever seen in mentioned and it’s never been in stock.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

EnragedWhale wrote:Anybody know if Borti’s all in one SuperCIC SNES mod is actually available anywhere?

This is the only site where I’ve ever seen in mentioned and it’s never been in stock.
Those are the two sources I know of:

https://videogameperfection.com/product ... cic-board/
https://retrogamerstuff.com/collections ... in-one-pcb

But not with the dejitter mod. Maybe ask in the thread for that?
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

ASDR wrote:
EnragedWhale wrote:Anybody know if Borti’s all in one SuperCIC SNES mod is actually available anywhere?

Those are the two sources I know of:

https://videogameperfection.com/product ... cic-board/
https://retrogamerstuff.com/collections ... in-one-pcb

But not with the dejitter mod. Maybe ask in the thread for that?
Cheers, the all in one board I linked to also has a DFO which is of interest me in PAL land. I’ll check out the dejitter thread thanks
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP »

I've 2 PVMs (same model), I want to keep one permanently in TATE for shmups, but don't wanna spend for a 2 output RGB\Component socket.
Can I hook everything to the first PVM then set some sort of video loop to the second one with no video quality loss?
How exactly?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

pedroTFP wrote:I've 2 PVMs (same model)
You'll have to provide the model specifics or take a picture of the back inputs and post it here.

How exactly?
Some PVMs have video loop through. look at the user manual for your model for more info. here is an example: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12966 ... =14#manual
with no video quality loss?
I can't speak to it because I don't do it, but it should be fine. It was designed for that. Someone else might chime in about it.
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP »

Thanks; it’s 2x20L2. They both have “in” and “out” for RGB, so I guess it is ok. Would it work even between different brand of monitors (let’s say Sony and JVC), provided they have the same input/outputs?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

pedroTFP wrote:Thanks; it’s 2x20L2. They both have “in” and “out” for RGB, so I guess it is ok. Would it work even between different brand of monitors (let’s say Sony and JVC), provided they have the same input/outputs?
Should be okay regardless of brand. the 20L2 has automatic termination, so shouldn't need a terminator for that one, but other monitors may require a 75 ohm terminator on the outputs.
Henkow

Post by Henkow »

I have a TVOne C2-750 that I use as a multiviewer. As you probably know it got an average delay of roughly 1,5 frames. Is there other options out there with less delay? Preferably some device that can take rgbs but hdmi would be fine too.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Hello all.

In regards to the early ps1 consoles that have the av ports on the back which supposedly have great DAC or better audio.

Is that just for listening to CDs? Or does that mean playing games you get greater audio or sound better?

Apologies if there is a thread or if it has been asked before.
Arms installation complete Good luck
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

Axelay wrote:Hello all.

In regards to the early ps1 consoles that have the av ports on the back which supposedly have great DAC or better audio.

Is that just for listening to CDs? Or does that mean playing games you get greater audio or sound better?
It's just a stupid Internet urban legend bolstered by eBay sellers to inflate the prices on PS1s.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Axelay wrote:Hello all.

Apologies if there is a thread or if it has been asked before.
It's for all audio. so benefits games too.

that one and the 5000 do sound a bit better from my experience (and even better than my PS2s, which sound nice but a little thin. but those do have digital out so an external DAC is an option here).
wheter one's gear is good enough to reveal the change, is another matter.

if you're only plugged through your tv speaker you likely won't notice any difference. but through a good amp (or very good av receiver) and at least decent speakers, yes you will notice it.

will it be worth it for you? it depends per person. a lot of people don't care much about having amazing audio
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Axelay wrote: Is that just for listening to CDs? Or does that mean playing games you get greater audio or sound better?
The PS2 with digital output to even a little cheap-o $15 ebay external DAC is going to sound better than any PSX console DAC available. They have come leaps and bounds since the 90's. If you happen to have a really good DAC, like a unit in an audio interface for instruments, it will sound just that much better.

IMHO, redbook CD audio is god-awful anyway, and the only way it can sound any good is with processing to add depth, etc.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Speaking of cheap modern DACs : I tried the recommended and cheap Fiio D3. It didn,t sound very good, certainly not as good as an early ps1.

but I agree that overall DAC technology has eveolved a ton and you can now get amazing external DAC for 200-300$, very nice ones from $115 or so to $200 and very decent ones from $50 to $115. a HUGE difference with how it was in the nineties. I had a Peachtree Audio Dac-itX that was really good and it was $250. I haven't tried them but supposedly the Topping and SMLS chinese units are good and measure very well.

the early ps1 have a warm-ish smooth sound that reminds me of the excellent early Phillips and Magnavox cd players, that's what I like about it.. so sound signature is a part of this too.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

Any modern DAC that isn't defective will be audibly transparent.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote:
the early ps1 have a warm-ish smooth sound that reminds me of the excellent early Phillips and Magnavox cd players, that's what I like about it.. so sound signature is a part of this too.
That's the analog electronics in it. I can't imagine the DAC itself is doing anything warm.
Osirus wrote:Any modern DAC that isn't defective will be audibly transparent.
It's all the stuff on the other side of the DAC that makes the difference. A big, expensive interface unit is going to have much nicer, higher value components on the other side of the DAC. Of course, the whole signal path is going to make a difference, so if you don't have a clean amp and nice speakers, it doesn't matter what in there anyway.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

@Osirus it's not just the DAC chip itself that's important. the OPAMP section after is just as important as the DAC chip

@vol. 2 yep and that part of the design is part of the ''DAC'' too. (DAC chip + analog section). it's present in a standalone DAC as well and is indisociable and needs to be part of the DAC discussion. There are a couple different DAC chip designs (delta sigma, R2-R ladder, etc) but I agree that the chip themselves probably don't have much difference in sonic signature.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Thank you for the response people.
I purchased a cheaper ps1 which was modded.

Will have to look into a dac in the future. My plan was to hook up my crt and all rgb consoles to my technics stereo system with its 2 speakers.

That sounds good enough for me.

If a dac can boost or give the sound more clarity I am all for it. Love the sound track to rtype delta and vandal hearts 1 and 2. :D
Arms installation complete Good luck
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

No probs Axelay :)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-