Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FinalBaton

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by FinalBaton »

KatKya wrote:Hello.

First off, service manual; While I'm not readily aware of a manual for the 1344Q specifically, I do however have one for the 1444QM, which is the "Everywhere else" version of the America specific 1344. Nearly everything in it should carry over verbatim, with the exception of some potential changes to the power supply. Pay no mind to the silly filehost : PVM-1440QM, 1442QM, 1444QM Service Manual

The diagonal lines do appear to be retrace lines; These come from the gun not turning all the way off during the retrace of the screen as it journeys back up to the top left of the screen after drawing a field. Given that only red lines seem to be appearing, it can be assumed that only the red gun (should) need adjusted. Refer to Page 15 "3-4 White Balance" part 4 specifically, potentiometer(variable resistor) RV1705 should potentially be turned down slightly. This should (hopefully) solve the retrace line issue and possibly lessen your smearing at least for now. In regards to the "Is it G2 or Screen?" question, they two are exactly the same; G2 = Grid 2 = Screen Voltage = Screen.

Given that this monitor is 30 years old, a good portion of the capacitors in it have very likely drifted out of spec and are the actual cause of the problem. Drift could explain why what may have previously been a perfectly fine Red cathode voltage is now too much, and is extremely likely the cause of the smearing; If I had to guess on where the issue is, it'd be either drifting caps in the later portion of the red signal path leading to dirty/uneven power or even a faulty transistor responsible for the final amplification before being fed into the tube. A quick glance in the service manual shows that it's using discrete transistors for each color rather than a ganged triple amplifier on many TVs and the like, which could also be related to why you're only having issues with red and not all three at once.

Depending on how much time/labor/etc you're willing to invest, looking into having it just recapped in general would likely be the best direction to head, but the above focus would be were I'd suggest starting out to directly affect the current issues you're having.

For cleaning, a can of compressed air would be fine, but if you're dealing with an air compressor, you'd need something to deal with potential ESD build up as well as condensation.
Thanks Kya

I have tweaked the "Screen" pot slightly, and that solved the issue! (Woohoo!)

the red bias on the front is set at minimum while G and B are eiher at mid-position or almost max(i did this by eye. I should get the 240p suite). so looks like red voltage as drifted.

I will get the monitor recapped at some point. for now it looks good

Thanks for the service manual! I didn't know 1444 was the international version of mine
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

FinalBaton wrote:Thanks for the service manual! I didn't know 1444 was the international version of mine
In a broad nutshell, many of the non-USA ones of this era were measured by the tube size in the rest of the world, while the USA version was the actual visible screen size (or something like that). So the PVM-2130 is the 2030 in the states, 1444 is the 1344 in the states, etc. Later I think something in the law changed and they became more standardized.
KatKya

Post by KatKya »

Dochartaigh wrote:Later I think something in the law changed and they became more standardized.
They kept the practice at least in some regard for their consumer sets. 13'' US sets were 14'' elsewhere, 27'' were 29'', and then you have fun stuff like the "KV-42DRC800" which is the Latin/South American version of the 40XBR800.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Why is HDRetrovision telling innocent people that the iScan HD+ model properly handles 240p?

https://hdretrovision.squarespace.com/s ... 180303.pdf

That's just not true.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I would say it depends on their "240p processing test" they use to determine which units gets their "pass" mark. While the Silicon Image 503 and 504 can't actually tell 480i from 240p, their deinterlacing to 240p video material is basic enough to leave 30Hz flicker effects intact and don't cause massive interpolation effects on moving objects. I wouldn't call the iScan perfect in any way, but compared to almost any other home theater processor of that time (and the decade following it), the 240p processing results weren't that bad.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I'd feel a little burned if I bought an iScan HD+ based on that 240p list. There should be a little more information.
We apologise for the inconvenience
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

How would the idea of a new model ossc with the digital scaler that's being used in modded consoles work?

I'm looking further down the road in terms of future compatibility, but rather then processing the image, interger scaling and running the game's original timings in 1080p would solve a ton of video issues, but also adding more memory to properly support deinterlace would be the next step.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

headlesshobbs wrote:How would the idea of a new model ossc with the digital scaler that's being used in modded consoles work?

I'm looking further down the road in terms of future compatibility, but rather then processing the image, interger scaling and running the game's original timings in 1080p would solve a ton of video issues, but also adding more memory to properly support deinterlace would be the next step.
Personally, I'd like to see this, along with TOSLINK I/O and a better layout for all the inputs. Analogue video scalers and processors are not getting any easier to find, nor are the ones available getting any cheaper.

On the other hand, 4K TVs tend to support the OSSC just fine (Aside from a still-common issue with the NES/SNES, resolved by the dejitter mod); and those features 1) are already on the Framemeister, and 2) would bring the cost of the OSSC up to that of the Framemeister, so you might as well get a Framemeister. I imagine we'd only see an OSSC 2.x with a scaler of that sort once Micomsoft decides to completely abandon this market.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

nmalinoski wrote:
headlesshobbs wrote:How would the idea of a new model ossc with the digital scaler that's being used in modded consoles work?

Personally, I'd like to see this, along with TOSLINK I/O and a better layout for all the inputs. Analogue video scalers and processors are not getting any easier to find, nor are the ones available getting any cheaper.

On the other hand, 4K TVs tend to support the OSSC just fine (Aside from a still-common issue with the NES/SNES, resolved by the dejitter mod); and those features 1) are already on the Framemeister, and 2) would bring the cost of the OSSC up to that of the Framemeister, so you might as well get a Framemeister. I imagine we'd only see an OSSC 2.x with a scaler of that sort once Micomsoft decides to completely abandon this market.
I want an HDMI input and LPF options on the VGA connector myself :D

Question: If I get a CSync PS2 cable from Retro-Access, which uses an LM1881, I won't be able to use 480p, right? Is there any custom solution that would let me connect a PS2 to an Extron VGA switch and get 480i and 480p+ support from the same cable (internal CSync mod maybe?)

Or since 480p is sync on green, does the sync stripper not matter?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

bobrocks95 wrote:Question: If I get a CSync PS2 cable from Retro-Access, which uses an LM1881, I won't be able to use 480p, right? Is there any custom solution that would let me connect a PS2 to an Extron VGA switch and get 480i and 480p+ support from the same cable (internal CSync mod maybe?)

I don't know first-hand, but I believe the sync stripper is only applied to the sync line (CVBS or luma); so, assuming your PS2 hasn't been modded for full-time RGBS with clean sync (negating the need for this cable in the first place), yes, the RGsB signal would bypass the sync stripper.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

bobrocks95 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

I want an HDMI input and LPF options on the VGA connector myself :D

Question: If I get a CSync PS2 cable from Retro-Access, which uses an LM1881, I won't be able to use 480p, right? Is there any custom solution that would let me connect a PS2 to an Extron VGA switch and get 480i and 480p+ support from the same cable (internal CSync mod maybe?)

I've designed an in-line switchable 36MHz LPF for VGA for this exact purpose using a THS7373, I need to test it but once it's confirmed working I'll upload the PCB files to OSH park if anyone else wants to build one
Chomolonzo

Post by Chomolonzo »

I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 93SB PC CRT monitor, and while lovely and sharp and colourful, light sources in dark scenes make fading smears on the screen, such as when you're running around in an FPS or go past a light on the ceiling or something. Anyone come across this before?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Is it worth getting a GCHD Mk-II or those BNC Component Cables if I already have the Official GameCube Component Cables and plan on playing on an analog BVM CRT with an Extron Crosspoint BNC Switcher? Would there be a difference in picture quality?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:Is it worth getting a GCHD Mk-II or those BNC Component Cables if I already have the Official GameCube Component Cables and plan on playing on an analog BVM CRT with an Extron Crosspoint BNC Switcher? Would there be a difference in picture quality?
If you're playing on a CRT, you probably won't notice a difference. If you want digital audio, however, you'll need the GCHD Mk2.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

nmalinoski wrote:If you're playing on a CRT, you probably won't notice a difference.
What difference would there be?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

GeneraLight wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:If you're playing on a CRT, you probably won't notice a difference.
What difference would there be?
I believe the GCVideo analog solutions have a very slight advantage over the official component cables on color fringing
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It's not necessarily an advantage, and the zero-order hold can't normally be seen on conventional 4:2:2 sampling component video decoders.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

GeneraLight wrote:Is it worth getting a GCHD Mk-II or those BNC Component Cables if I already have the Official GameCube Component Cables and plan on playing on an analog BVM CRT with an Extron Crosspoint BNC Switcher?
It will give you digital audio support.

GeneraLight wrote:Would there be a difference in picture quality?
It was mentioned on youtube that yes there is a slight difference in picture quality (GCHD Mk-II giving a slightly better picture), I dunno if you would be able to notice it on a BVM CRT though.
Last edited by Lawfer on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Those games can be forced to run in proper 480p with Swiss.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Extrems wrote:Those games can be forced to run in proper 480p with Swiss.
Not with the GCHD Mk-II then?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I don't understand the question.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Extrems wrote:I don't understand the question.
Is the 480p forced support done through only the Swiss software, or can it be done also by the GCHD Mk-II/GCVideo?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

All that GCVideo-DVI can do is bob deinterlacing. Swiss can actually expose the full resolution and disable deflickering.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Extrems wrote:All that GCVideo-DVI can do is bob deinterlacing. Swiss can actually expose the full resolution and disable deflickering.
Oh I see, thank you for letting me know, I'll edit my post.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Wait, no! That list was useful for future testing.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Is it possible to simultaneously run the component out to a PVM at 480i, while the HDMI goes out at 480p for high quality recording?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Extrems wrote:Wait, no! That list was useful for future testing.
Oh here you go:

Summoner: A Goddess Reborn, Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, Lost Kingdoms, Lost Kingdoms II, Killer7.

These are the games I have in my collection that I can confirm will only run at 480i on a vanilla DOL-001 GameCube USA NTSC console with the official component cables.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

maxtherabbit wrote:I believe the GCVideo analog solutions have a very slight advantage over the official component cables on color fringing
Lawfer wrote:It was mentioned on youtube that yes there is a slight difference in picture quality (GCHD Mk-II giving a slightly better picture), I dunno if you would be able to notice it on a BVM CRT though.
Yeah, I watched My Life in Gaming's new RGB316 :: GameCube HDMI, Component & RGB video on YouTube, as well as Digital Foundry's new DF Retro: GameCube HDMI video on YouTube too. They both say that the new GCVideo analog solutions provide a slightly better image quality than the Official Nintendo GameCube Component Cables, but I'm confused as to how that is done. And can it be considered "accurate"?

https://youtu.be/8RBgbA8DhM0 - RGB316 :: GameCube HDMI, Component & RGB - Plug 'n Play w/ Carby & GCHD Mk-II / MY LIFE IN GAMING
https://youtu.be/4oCtBe0nZew - DF Retro: GameCube HDMI - The Best Video Quality Possible From Nintendo's Classic Console
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... i-adapters - DF Retro: GameCube HDMI Article by John Linneman
John Linneman wrote:So, are there any drawbacks? Well, head to head with the expensive component cable solution, image clarity is cleaner, brightness is improved and there are fewer video artefacts. Curiously, the GameCube internally processes using the digital component YCbCr, and there is some evidence of chroma sub-sampling - or at least, something that looks very much like it. This presents as a strange artefact when primary colours collide. It's noticeable on the official component cable and while still there on the HDMI solutions, it does seem to be a touch cleaner. Most people won't notice, especially in the heat of the action, but it would be fascinating to know exactly what is causing this minor issue.
Extrems wrote:It's not necessarily an advantage, and the zero-order hold can't normally be seen on conventional 4:2:2 sampling component video decoders.
Extrems wrote:Those games can be forced to run in proper 480p with Swiss.
What do these mean? I read something about a chroma shift and chroma sub-sampling, as well as some GameCube games having a lower color-bit.
Last edited by Ikaruga11 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Lawfer wrote:
Oh here you go:

Summoner: A Goddess Reborn, Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, Lost Kingdoms, Lost Kingdoms II, Killer7.

These are the games I have in my collection that I can confirm will only run at 480i on a vanilla DOL-001 GameCube USA NTSC console with the official component cables.
Frankly it's missing from quite a lot of games. Across every genre and publisher, including Nintendo with WarioWare.
Some had 480p on the Xbox or Dreamcast. (Capcom vs SNK 2, Skies of Arcadia, TimeSplitters 2, Mega Man Anniversary Collection...)

Modchips like Qoob can also force 480p, but I think Swiss has better compatibility.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

theclaw wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
Oh here you go:

Frankly it's missing from quite a lot of games. Across every genre and publisher, including Nintendo with WarioWare.
Some had 480p on the Xbox or Dreamcast. (Capcom vs SNK 2, Skies of Arcadia, TimeSplitters 2, Mega Man Anniversary Collection...)

Modchips like Qoob can also force 480p, but I think Swiss has better compatibility.
It's not a complete list or anything, that's just from the games that I have and that I mentioned from what I remembered, I also forgot to mention Evolution Worlds, this game is also 480i only.