Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Fudoh »

So maybe I just need a better DVD player then for movies. What do you think about games in this situation (to the 32HS510)? Seeing as how everything ends-up 480p, shouldn't I try to feed it a pre-upscaled 480p image with the scanlines? Isn't OSSC the way to go with that at least; or maybe I should be looking at the TVONE or the XRGB mini?
for games the OSSC is great and 480p is your best option. OSSC's HDMI to analogue component is easily accomplished.

Don't you have a secondary HD setup with a blu-ray player? If so, I would try the BD player. As said, especially movie deinterlacing has progressed so far that most players are close to perfect.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I need to get a good standalone BD player. I have some crappy ones that I got cheap. The main issue is that they are so damn slow.

I think I will always want a DVD player as long as possible though, for the region free factor. I love my Oppos, countless hours on them and still perfect. Tanks.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Fudoh wrote: for games the OSSC is great and 480p is your best option. OSSC's HDMI to analogue component is easily accomplished.

Don't you have a secondary HD setup with a blu-ray player? If so, I would try the BD player. As said, especially movie deinterlacing has progressed so far that most players are close to perfect.
I've been using my PC for Blu-rays, and it's at a different physical address than the big Sony. I could probably just buy a new player of some sort. Any recommendations for good de-interlacing players, or a specific brand that's good at it?
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

So ages ago I snagged a Pioneer PDP-V402. I'd been playing Saturn on it, no problem. Saturn -> SCART -> BNC adapter into the display.

Pulled it out of storage recently knowing I finally had a place to put it permanently. And I can only get Saturn to display on it. N64, PCE, PS1 all give me nothing. Either with straight BNC cables, or using the same SCART -> BNC adapter. They all work fine on my OSSC, and on my CRTs, but not on the plasma. Does it only accept a specific type of sync that these don't all share in common? And if so, is there an Extron box for that (seems there's an extron box for everything, ha)?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DejahThoris wrote:So ages ago I snagged a Pioneer PDP-V402. I'd been playing Saturn on it, no problem. Saturn -> SCART -> BNC adapter into the display.

Pulled it out of storage recently knowing I finally had a place to put it permanently. And I can only get Saturn to display on it. N64, PCE, PS1 all give me nothing. Either with straight BNC cables, or using the same SCART -> BNC adapter. They all work fine on my OSSC, and on my CRTs, but not on the plasma. Does it only accept a specific type of sync that these don't all share in common? And if so, is there an Extron box for that (seems there's an extron box for everything, ha)?
My assumption is that, being BNC, the display is expecting RGB with clean, TTL-level (5Vp-p) sync, and won't accept composite video or luma as sync. I believe the Saturn outputs clean sync, which is why you're having success with it. If the Saturn RGB SCART cable brings sync down to 75Ohm (1Vp-p), then that makes things a little easier, in that you won't have to bring up 75Ohm sync from consoles that output that).

The N64 only outputs S-Video at best, so you'll need to RGB mod it first, assuming you haven't already.

Regular PC Engines should be able to output RGB with an adapter on their expansion port, and Duos need an RGB bypass and a Genesis-2-style AV connector installed in the back.

The PS1 outputs RGB natively, but not clean sync (Normally uses composite video for sync), so you'll need a cable with a sync stripper built in, or a hard mod.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

nmalinoski wrote:My assumption is that, being BNC, the display is expecting RGB with clean, TTL-level (5Vp-p) sync, and won't accept composite video or luma as sync. I believe the Saturn outputs clean sync, which is why you're having success with it. If the Saturn RGB SCART cable brings sync down to 75Ohm (1Vp-p), then that makes things a little easier, in that you won't have to bring up 75Ohm sync from consoles that output that).

The N64 only outputs S-Video at best, so you'll need to RGB mod it first, assuming you haven't already.

Regular PC Engines should be able to output RGB with an adapter on their expansion port, and Duos need an RGB bypass and a Genesis-2-style AV connector installed in the back.

The PS1 outputs RGB natively, but not clean sync (Normally uses composite video for sync), so you'll need a cable with a sync stripper built in, or a hard mod.
The N64 is of RGB modded, and the PCE is a CoreGrafx 2 with SSDS3 with the FU-RGB mod.

The Saturn cable says sync on Luma on it (from retrogamingcables) and then goes into the SCART - > BNC cable (also from rgc that says Euroscart to BNC (csync)) .
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DejahThoris wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:My assumption is that, being BNC, the display is expecting RGB with clean, TTL-level (5Vp-p) sync, and won't accept composite video or luma as sync. I believe the Saturn outputs clean sync, which is why you're having success with it. If the Saturn RGB SCART cable brings sync down to 75Ohm (1Vp-p), then that makes things a little easier, in that you won't have to bring up 75Ohm sync from consoles that output that).

The N64 is of RGB modded, and the PCE is a CoreGrafx 2 with SSDS3 with the FU-RGB mod.

The Saturn cable says sync on Luma on it (from retrogamingcables) and then goes into the SCART - > BNC cable (also from rgc that says Euroscart to BNC (csync)) .
That changes a few things; that it will accept luma (and I would expect also composite video) for sync, which also means it'll accept video-level (75Ohm/1Vp-p) sync; that should also mean the PS1 should work as well with a sync-on-luma cable. Which cable did you get for your PS1?

If you have CSync RGB SCART cables for your N64 and SSDS3, that would suggest to me that the monitor doesn't like clean composite sync, which I think is a bit weird, especially over BNC.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

nmalinoski wrote: That changes a few things; that it will accept luma (and I would expect also composite video) for sync, which also means it'll accept video-level (75Ohm/1Vp-p) sync; that should also mean the PS1 should work as well with a sync-on-luma cable. Which cable did you get for your PS1?

If you have CSync RGB SCART cables for your N64 and SSDS3, that would suggest to me that the monitor doesn't like clean composite sync, which I think is a bit weird, especially over BNC.
The PS1 cable I bought from retro access and is BNC with lightgun compatibility. The SSDS3 cable is also straight to BNC and from them.

They don't label their products and I can't seem to find the receipt, so I'm honestly not sure if it's csync or Luma, but by not working I'd assume it's not Luma.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DejahThoris wrote:
nmalinoski wrote: That changes a few things; that it will accept luma (and I would expect also composite video) for sync, which also means it'll accept video-level (75Ohm/1Vp-p) sync; that should also mean the PS1 should work as well with a sync-on-luma cable. Which cable did you get for your PS1?

The PS1 cable I bought from retro access and is BNC with lightgun compatibility. The SSDS3 cable is also straight to BNC and from them.

They don't label their products and I can't seem to find the receipt, so I'm honestly not sure if it's csync or Luma, but by not working I'd assume it's not Luma.
It's certainly possible that the PS1 cable has a sync stripper in it.

If your TV has a BNC input for composite video, or it has RCA and you have a female BNC to male RCA adapter, you can determine what kind of sync output the console has by connecting the composite sync line to the composite input. If you get a full-color image, it's using composite video for sync; if it's black and white, it's using luma; or, if you get a completely black image or no image, it's clean composite sync. (If it wasn't working, the OSSC would've had problems.)
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

nmalinoski wrote:It's certainly possible that the PS1 cable has a sync stripper in it.

If your TV has a BNC input for composite video, or it has RCA and you have a female BNC to male RCA adapter, you can determine what kind of sync output the console has by connecting the composite sync line to the composite input. If you get a full-color image, it's using composite video for sync; if it's black and white, it's using luma; or, if you get a completely black image or no image, it's clean composite sync. (If it wasn't working, the OSSC would've had problems.)
Good and bad news. I got the N64 working by grabbing a random SNES SCART cable I'd had laying around.

But I tried putting sync line into Y, C, and Video (it has RGB1, RGB2, Y/C, and Video for inputs). Did nothing on both the PCE and PS1.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DejahThoris wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:It's certainly possible that the PS1 cable has a sync stripper in it.

Good and bad news. I got the N64 working by grabbing a random SNES SCART cable I'd had laying around.

But I tried putting sync line into Y, C, and Video (it has RGB1, RGB2, Y/C, and Video for inputs). Did nothing on both the PCE and PS1.
Sync line into Y would get you (assuming a strict video processor) black and white at best, so it likely wouldn't tell you if you were running composite or luma (unless maybe you looked closely to see whether it was a little blurry or nice and sharp); and hooking it to C (chroma) wouldn't get you squat anyway, because Y/C needs sync on Y to do anything.

The SNES SCART cable likely uses composite video for sync, as that's been the conventional (standard?) method of providing composite sync for RGB over SCART.

My guess is that your PS1 SCART cable is a "CSync" model that includes an inline sync stripper (Good if you want/need to use it with Extron equipment; obviously bad if you want to use it with your plasma).

I still find it weird that it doesn't take clean composite sync. It is possible that the framerate of the PS1 and PCE are just far enough off-spec for the video processor to not like them, but usually that's a problem for NES/SNES/Master System/Genesis, not the PS1.

Have you tried toggling the sync impedance switch for RGB1 to 2.2kΩ?
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

I have tried that and haven't seen any difference at all. Still "No sync" unfortunately.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DejahThoris wrote:I have tried that and haven't seen any difference at all. Still "No sync" unfortunately.
Assuming that this display really won't take video-level clean composite sync, I think the one last option you have to getting everything functioning on this display is to run everything through the OSSC, then the OSSC into an active HDMI->VGA converter (Portta or Tendak), and then that into RGB2 on the display, with the sync switch set to 2.2kOhm. According to the manual, you won't be able to use 480i passthrough, and I have no idea if the display will take 240p RGBHV, so you'll likely be stuck with line2x for both. An additional warning is that I have no idea if the 480i line2x bob deinterlacing will have a similar detrimental effect on plasmas as it seems to have on OLEDs, so you may want to stick to 240p-only sources, or use an additional video processor after the OSSC that can properly deinterlace 480i to 480p (configure OSSC for passthrough for 480i, line2x for 240p).
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Pretty sure the bob deinterlace only causes damage on some IPS LCD panels. OLEDs will be fine (so should Plasmas).

Going back to the earlier posts here about DVD playback--I learned today that a modified DVD player software version is available for the PS2 which allows 480i RGB (no more green screen), as well as 480p over component, either via an MC with the player installed or, more simply, by launching an ELF file (more info, though this site will die soon: https://assemblergames.com/threads/ps2- ... ons.43968/)

It's also region free, but I found that some laters discs (looking at you 20th century fox) must have additional checks that do detect region differences (tested on a JP PS2). I'd love to hear more about what folks here may be using for DVD playback in their RGB setups. My other fallbacks right now are an early Wii that can play DVDs and a Raspberry Pi outputting 480i for DVD ISOs.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

fernan1234 wrote:Pretty sure the bob deinterlace only causes damage on some IPS LCD panels. OLEDs will be fine (so should Plasmas).

Going back to the earlier posts here about DVD playback--I learned today that a modified DVD player software version is available for the PS2 which allows 480i RGB (no more green screen), as well as 480p over component, either via an MC with the player installed or, more simply, by launching an ELF file (more info, though this site will die soon: https://assemblergames.com/threads/ps2- ... ons.43968/)

It's also region free, but I found that some laters discs (looking at you 20th century fox) must have additional checks that do detect region differences (tested on a JP PS2). I'd love to hear more about what folks here may be using for DVD playback in their RGB setups. My other fallbacks right now are an early Wii that can play DVDs and a Raspberry Pi outputting 480i for DVD ISOs.
I've been doing 480i RGB for years with McLoader. https://www.ps2savetools.com/wpfb-file/ ... _1-35-rar/ but I've never heard of doing 480p DVDs on the PS2. I can't get the link to resolve tho (the tiny url one) I think it's been taken down.

What is going on inside the PS2 to get it to output a DVD at 480p? Is it deinterlacing like regular PS DVD players do?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

vol.2 wrote:I've been doing 480i RGB for years with McLoader. https://www.ps2savetools.com/wpfb-file/ ... _1-35-rar/ but I've never heard of doing 480p DVDs on the PS2. I can't get the link to resolve tho (the tiny url one) I think it's been taken down.

What is going on inside the PS2 to get it to output a DVD at 480p? Is it deinterlacing like regular PS DVD players do?
The last page has an updated link (https://pastebin.com/WPgg0SzS)

I haven't tried the 480p output yet but I'll give it a try later. It's nice we can use the same RGB cable, just need to set the monitor's input to component and sync to internal, the PS2's output to component, and that should be it.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

fernan1234 wrote:
vol.2 wrote:I've been doing 480i RGB for years with McLoader. https://www.ps2savetools.com/wpfb-file/ ... _1-35-rar/ but I've never heard of doing 480p DVDs on the PS2. I can't get the link to resolve tho (the tiny url one) I think it's been taken down.

The last page has an updated link (https://pastebin.com/WPgg0SzS)

I haven't tried the 480p output yet but I'll give it a try later. It's nice we can use the same RGB cable, just need to set the monitor's input to component and sync to internal, the PS2's output to component, and that should be it.
Cool. Thanks fernan :)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

fernan1234 wrote:Pretty sure the bob deinterlace only causes damage on some IPS LCD panels. OLEDs will be fine (so should Plasmas).

Oh wow :shock: THis is really nice! I didn't know this existed, thanks for sharing. I have a crt with RGB but no YPbPr input, and wanted to play DVDs on it. Was gonna buy adapters to hook up a transcoders, but this is way more conveniant! I guess I'll order a memory card with FreeMcBoot and try this out!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
diamondtron

Post by diamondtron »

Is there any way to laglessly convert 480p to 1080p? I want to play a gamecube game laglessly in 1080p but I’m not sure about the best way of doing it. I know one option is to use Swiss to force the game to 540p and then use the OSSC to linedouble it to 1080p, but maybe there’s a simpler way?
Dr Tal

Post by Dr Tal »

Need to know if the local monitor output of extron 192v output same rgbs/rgbhv/rgsb signal as the bnc ports or does it just loop the pc input and outputs the same signal. If it does would i be able to use a vga breakout cable and connect to monitors to the 192.

Also does anyone have a pinout for the vga port of the extron?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dr Tal wrote:Need to know if the local monitor output of extron 192v output same rgbs/rgbhv/rgsb signal as the bnc ports or does it just loop the pc input and outputs the same signal. If it does would i be able to use a vga breakout cable and connect to monitors to the 192.

If it's anything like the later rxi series, only the BNC outputs are processed, and the DE-15 output is just a duplicate of the input.

Pinout is the same as VGA. If you need to feed it CSync, put that on the horizontal sync line.
Dr Tal

Post by Dr Tal »

nmalinoski wrote:
Dr Tal wrote:Need to know if the local monitor output of extron 192v output same rgbs/rgbhv/rgsb signal as the bnc ports or does it just loop the pc input and outputs the same signal. If it does would i be able to use a vga breakout cable and connect to monitors to the 192.

If it's anything like the later rxi series, only the BNC outputs are processed, and the DE-15 output is just a duplicate of the input.

Pinout is the same as VGA. If you need to feed it CSync, put that on the horizontal sync line.

The manual/setup guide from extron mentions that the port is "Monitor Output — If desired, connect a local monitor or other
device to this 15-pin HD female connector."and It features a local monitor output and an RGBHV, RGBS or RGsB output. "

Under input devices it mentions:1 buffered local monitor loop-through
identical to the input /(1) female 15-pin HD (loop-through)

Not sure if it just loops the input back out or what and i dont have a monitor that accepts 15kz signal through vga. The only way i could test that output is to get vga to bnc breakout cables.

If the monitor out has the same signal processing as the bnc outputs would be a nice way to run more than one tv or be able to run it to a test unit.

RGB 190FV and RGB 192 Setup Guide
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dr Tal wrote:The manual/setup guide from extron mentions that the port is "Monitor Output — If desired, connect a local monitor or other
device to this 15-pin HD female connector."and It features a local monitor output and an RGBHV, RGBS or RGsB output. "

Not sure if it just loops the input back out or what and i dont have a monitor that accepts 15kz signal through vga. The only way i could test that output is to get vga to bnc breakout cables.

If the monitor out has the same signal processing as the bnc outputs would be a nice way to run more than one tv or be able to run it to a test unit.
When an output on equipment like this is labeled "Loop", it's just a duplication of the input; no processing is applied. You need to use the BNC outputs, otherwise you're just using the RGB interface as an expensive extension cable.
Dr Tal

Post by Dr Tal »

nmalinoski wrote:
Dr Tal wrote:The manual/setup guide from extron mentions that the port is "Monitor Output — If desired, connect a local monitor or other

When an output on equipment like this is labeled "Loop", it's just a duplication of the input; no processing is applied. You need to use the BNC outputs, otherwise you're just using the RGB interface as an expensive extension cable.
Ah thanks figured that was the case but wanted to make sure. still can be useful if want to connect tv to bnc and have small vga rgb compatible monitor.
Would just have to make sure to have a sync stripper cable (scart+stripper) to vga into extron
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

What's the best way to use Xbox 360 controllers on an Xbox One? I have a bunch of BOTH wired, AND wireless Xbox 360 fightsticks I would like to use.

And no, I'm not looking to buy a ~$70 Cronusmax Plus for each (which I would need 4x of for 4-player games if I was using wired fightsticks I think). I have the USB Xbox 360 wireless adapters (use on my MAME PC and RP3's) already if that helps.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:What's the best way to use Xbox 360 controllers on an Xbox One? I have a bunch of BOTH wired, AND wireless Xbox 360 fightsticks I would like to use.

And no, I'm not looking to buy a ~$70 Cronusmax Plus for each (which I would need 4x of for 4-player games if I was using wired fightsticks I think). I have the USB Xbox 360 wireless adapters (use on my MAME PC and RP3's) already if that helps.
I'm not sure about the "best" way, but, aside from the Chronusmax, there's this Brooks thing that seems like it does something similar. You can use it with a wired controller, or you can use it with a wireless controller if you have one of the wireless receivers. (Not sure if you can connect four controllers through the one adapter, though.)

If your issue is Rock Band controllers, there's apparently a Legacy Game Controller peripheral to take care of compatibility issues with those devices. No idea if it would also work with regular controllers.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote: I'm not sure about the "best" way, but, aside from the Chronusmax, there's this Brooks thing that seems like it does something similar. You can use it with a wired controller, or you can use it with a wireless controller if you have one of the wireless receivers. (Not sure if you can connect four controllers through the one adapter, though.)

If your issue is Rock Band controllers, there's apparently a Legacy Game Controller peripheral to take care of compatibility issues with those devices. No idea if it would also work with regular controllers.
That's a bit cheaper but would still cost $160 ($40x4) to run 4x wired fightsticks on it. I have a mix of a bunch of Hori and Mad Catz fightsticks fyi - no Rock Band stuff.

I also asked in their Q&A if you can connect 4x wireless fightsticks to ONE Xbox 360 USB wireless receiver (with the receiver plugged into a single Brooks). That's normally how those wireless receivers are run on PC and RP3 but who knows with these devices. I could live with only being able to use my wireless Hori Tekken 6 fightsticks (saves the hassles of having wires running everywhere at least).

Still open to other options which are cheaper.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

nmalinoski, I've got a sync stripping box coming in. I think what's going on is that all of my SCART cables go into the SCART - > BNC with stripper, but when I go BNC to that same adapter there's no 5v to power it. Will update when it arrives later this week.

On a different note, are there cheap deinterlacer options? PS2 on my OLED shudders with the OSSC, and I'm not terribly keen on spending framemeister money for a system I only occasionally use if it's avoidable.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

DejahThoris wrote:nmalinoski, I've got a sync stripping box coming in. I think what's going on is that all of my SCART cables go into the SCART - > BNC with stripper, but when I go BNC to that same adapter there's no 5v to power it. Will update when it arrives later this week.

On a different note, are there cheap deinterlacer options? PS2 on my OLED shudders with the OSSC, and I'm not terribly keen on spending framemeister money for a system I only occasionally use if it's avoidable.
I think the Corio TVone stuff can be had for less than a framemeister. Still not cheap, but it's more like $100-250 depending on which model and how lucky you get. I think FM is more steady at $300
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

vol.2 wrote: I think the Corio TVone stuff can be had for less than a framemeister. Still not cheap, but it's more like $100-250 depending on which model and how lucky you get. I think FM is more steady at $300
Here's where I may not know what I'm talking about:

I have a Corio2 C2-2200 laying around that someone suggested I buy for another project a while ago. I think it was to play 360 shmups on a 15k cab, but I just ended up buying a cab that supported 31k instead.

Will that perform the same function?