Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Extrems

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Extrems »

No, it just works. If you're using the Vision window, you need to enable audio.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

bobrocks95 wrote:
VEGETA wrote:I am not trying to record 4k60 or something... mostly just 1080p 60fps or so.

plus this is +1000$ which is beyond me by a long shot, the one I mentioned is about 200-250$.
You can get the Datapath Vision RGB-E1S for around $150 on ebay if you wait a bit, and it works nicely with the OSSC. Though since you're on a laptop right now I'd agree with going USB and recording in 1080p60 4:2:2 which surely you can find something that can handle that.

I know the setting for chroma encoding won't be on the OSSC, it always outputs 4:4:4. Should be a setting in your capture software, such as OBS -> capture device -> properties -> video format -> YUV2 or other compressed format.
Oh wait, so does the OSSC up-sample 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 / is there any potential negative effects? I was thinking about trying my OSSC as a passthrough digitizing device for VHS composite -> my obscure JVC KM-F250U frame synchronizer / TBC -> YPbPr out -> OSSC -> 480i HDMI to capture card. Mostly for shits and giggles, but I think it could potentially yield nice results.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I've got a question about PS2 scaling on the PS3. I saw a video from an up-and-coming YouTuber who stated that the PS3 scaler has a "bug" in that it only scales PS2 games to 720p and not 1080p. I assumed that this was for a clean line triple from a single field in 480i to 720p (240 * 3 = 720). I've not got a BC PS3 or PS2 Classics to test with yet. How does the PS3 actually upscale PS2 games? Is it just a bilinear scaler? Is there any other reason for it not to scale to 1080p?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Oh wait, so does the OSSC up-sample 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 / is there any potential negative effects?
since the OSSC doesn't have a digital input, the question is kinda pointless. Any of your analogue signals will aready be 4:4:4 (or unsampled to 4:4:4 in case of a GameCube or Wii).
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Fudoh wrote:
Oh wait, so does the OSSC up-sample 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 / is there any potential negative effects?
since the OSSC doesn't have a digital input, the question is kinda pointless. Any of your analogue signals will aready be 4:4:4 (or unsampled to 4:4:4 in case of a GameCube or Wii).
Oh, the JVC TBC outputs a CCIR Rec.601 standard 4:2:2 signal

http://www.adcom.it/public/images/Manua ... %20ENG.pdf

I forget if it mentions that in this manual, but I’ve seen documentation elsewhere (an old ad for the device, which I have saved on my phone)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

OK, but when we're talking about analogue signals then we refer to bandwith limitations, don't we? Similar to luma resolution of analogue sources compared to a digital DTV signal (like 360 for VHS compared to 720 for full DTV). Same here: a digitizer (the OSSC in this case) won't be able to tell the actual resolution (in terms horizontal resolution on the color subsampled channels), but will apply the same sampling rate either way. So, yes, you might get "upsampling" this way to the full DTV resolution, but it's not what you had in mind, is it?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Fudoh wrote:OK, but when we're talking about analogue signals then we refer to bandwith limitations, don't we? Similar to luma resolution of analogue sources compared to a digital DTV signal (like 360 for VHS compared to 720 for full DTV). Same here: a digitizer (the OSSC in this case) won't be able to tell the actual resolution (in terms horizontal resolution on the color subsampled channels), but will apply the same sampling rate either way. So, yes, you might get "upsampling" this way to the full DTV resolution, but it's not what you had in mind, is it?
No, I don't believe so. Was just curious if it'd have any potential negative effects like, I don't know, over-saturating Pb and Pr for instance, when converting 4:2:2 to 4:4:4.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I guess I'll make a for sale thread when I get them, but I'll have 2 extra flex adapters for the PC Engine Duo FRAM mod. Just curious if anybody is interested in one for probably around the price of postage, 3 only cost me $7.50 to the US from OSHPark but it'd be a shame to have 2 wasted. I think these work for TurboDuo, PC Engine Duo, and Duo-R/RX.

https://github.com/dshadoff/PCE_FRAM_adapter
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

What’s the best way to do RF demodulation? Cheap VCR? I’ve got an Atari Music visualizer that I’d like to get upscaled for a projector.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

SavagePencil wrote:What’s the best way to do RF demodulation? Cheap VCR? I’ve got an Atari Music visualizer that I’d like to get upscaled for a projector.
Up to you. Between a couple pro rack units, an Extron tuner, a Sony tuner, and a VCR: I get the best performance and noise reduction (celly and wifi will add a lot of potential interference) from a VCR. YMMV.
We apologise for the inconvenience
lechu

Post by lechu »

Does anyone know of a good horizontal/vertical picture shifter for a CRT monitor? A couple of my consoles go off center on my PVM, and I don't want to open it up every time I play something new (since mine doesn't have a service menu).

I know the Extron RGB units can shift, but those are getting up in price and I don't really need all the other features.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Should be a scart version available on aliexpress or the like. Has picture shift controls.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
lechu

Post by lechu »

Are they any good though? Aliexpress isn't really known for it's quality control, so I wouldn't want to get a random scart device without knowing if it's up to spec.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Hello

I have got N8 Pro for my Twin Famicom and it works perfectly fine.

However, I noticed there is no expansion audio despite changing the cart settings a lot. I tried Zelda FDS rom but the music is not as expected.

I got audio from pin 1 and 2 off the CPU to NESRGB pins then routed the NESRGB output audio to 3.5mm jacks.

How can I include the expansion audio? and is it really worth it or is it just the zelda intro and castlevania 2 ost?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

VEGETA wrote:Hello

However, I noticed there is no expansion audio despite changing the cart settings a lot. I tried Zelda FDS rom but the music is not as expected.

I got audio from pin 1 and 2 off the CPU to NESRGB pins then routed the NESRGB output audio to 3.5mm jacks.

How can I include the expansion audio? and is it really worth it or is it just the zelda intro and castlevania 2 ost?
For any games built with it in mind you'll just outright be missing channels and only hearing ones generated from the base console. So you'd be missing sounds in most FDS games (I'm sure some don't use the extra channels) and any cartridges that used enhancement chips with extra sound channels. Some great soundtracks made that way, but I mean yeah if you're only playing Zelda I think it's just the intro and some sound effects.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

You might get the expansion audio when using an FDSstick, but you'd need a special cable to use it on a Twin FC: https://3dscapture.com/fdsstick/
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

bobrocks95 wrote:
VEGETA wrote:Hello

For any games built with it in mind you'll just outright be missing channels and only hearing ones generated from the base console. So you'd be missing sounds in most FDS games (I'm sure some don't use the extra channels) and any cartridges that used enhancement chips with extra sound channels. Some great soundtracks made that way, but I mean yeah if you're only playing Zelda I think it's just the intro and some sound effects.
my unmodded twin via composite video and mono audio out is outputting zelda expanded audio fine using the same rom on N8 Pro.

the only wires I have done are CPU pin 1 and pin 2 as shown in my video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRVK1ne-34

audio plays fine on all games, thus the cpu pin 1 and 2 are wired correctly to NESRGB board and from it to 3.5mm connector is also fine. I have tested this. what channels am I missing?

I have tested that castlemania game music but didn't notice any difference... what is the case here?

is there any mod I didn't do? I really don't want to re-open and take the board out, it is really troublesome.

morelikely, how can twin famicom display exp. audio properly? using N8 Pro.

as you noticed, I removed the original mono audio jack to fit the connectors of rgb mod.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Expansion audio comes from the cartridge pin 45. The Twin Famicom already handles it, so the easiest thing is probably just to use the original audio instead of the NESRGB audio.

If you wanna use the NESRGB audio with expansion, there is a mixing hole in the board for expansion audio between two resistors near jumper J5 (not sure if this is the same in every version). But you will also need to disconnect cartridge slot pins 45 and 46 (by cutting traces or possibly removing a couple resistors or something). Tim covered it for the AV Famicom in this post. I imagine it is somewhat similar for Twin Famicom (the extra resistor was just for original EDN8 which didn't have proper expansion audio levels, so should be fine to leave out for the pro).

Honestly I would just try hooking up the original audio from the Twin Fami instead of mixing it in the NESRGB. For NESRGB related questions it is probably better to post in the NESRGB thread, as Tim may actually see it and respond as well.

You can see in the installation guide for NESRGB on the Twin Famicom (here), he does not use the NESRGB audio pads. There are also some notes about improving the onboard audio circuit which may be useful.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Kez wrote:Expansion audio comes from the cartridge pin 45. The Twin Famicom already handles it, so the easiest thing is probably just to use the original audio instead of the NESRGB audio.

If you wanna use the NESRGB audio with expansion, there is a mixing hole in the board for expansion audio between two resistors near jumper J5 (not sure if this is the same in every version). But you will also need to disconnect cartridge slot pins 45 and 46 (by cutting traces or possibly removing a couple resistors or something). Tim covered it for the AV Famicom in this post. I imagine it is somewhat similar for Twin Famicom (the extra resistor was just for original EDN8 which didn't have proper expansion audio levels, so should be fine to leave out for the pro).

Honestly I would just try hooking up the original audio from the Twin Fami instead of mixing it in the NESRGB. For NESRGB related questions it is probably better to post in the NESRGB thread, as Tim may actually see it and respond as well.

You can see in the installation guide for NESRGB on the Twin Famicom (here), he does not use the NESRGB audio pads. There are also some notes about improving the onboard audio circuit which may be useful.
you mean the audio from the RF modulator connector (pin 1)? just hooking that to 3.5mm jack while keep ground pin from NESRGB??

I just want the expansion audio to work, not interested in any mixing or so... NESRGB is just for RGB video and N8 Pro for playing roms.
Kez

Post by Kez »

VEGETA wrote:you mean the audio from the RF modulator connector (pin 1)? just hooking that to 3.5mm jack while keep ground pin from NESRGB??
The audio signal from the white mono RCA that you removed, just take the ground and audio signals from there and hook it up to the jack.
I just want the expansion audio to work, not interested in any mixing or so... NESRGB is just for RGB video and N8 Pro for playing roms.
I assure you I know what NESRGB and N8 pro are. The N8 pro creates the expansion audio and it puts out an audio signal via the cartridge pins which needs to be mixed into the regular audio. Famicoms already do this, which is why it's easier to just use the audio they are making instead of letting the NESRGB handle it.
Last edited by Kez on Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

aha so all I have to do is to get the audio from the original jack in the power supply area to the 3.5mm? I will try doing it now.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I have done it.

I removed the audio from NESRGB and used the original audio jack, now FDS audio works perfectly fine tested on zelda and akumajou. audio is a little bit on the quiet side but it is ok for me, a bit of hum too but don't know if it is just my CRT.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Did you read the audio section in that guide I linked? It does talk specifically about too quiet audio.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Kez wrote:Did you read the audio section in that guide I linked? It does talk specifically about too quiet audio.
I remember reading about swapping 2 resistors to make it louder, is it the one you mentioned? it is an easy mod.

However, right now I am ok with just raising the volume via CRT TV.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Ah, okay well glad it's working for you then! :D
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

I've played through Dragon Quest Builders 2 on my Switch at 720p using the HDFury Gamer 2 (RGB). Now I'm playing through The Messenger at 1080p, and after half an hour or so my monitor loses signal for a second every 3-5 minutes. Is this a known bug with this device, or is it faulty?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

possibly what was discussed recently on another thread: for 1080p current consoles do output a reduced sync timing, which isn't always 100% CRT compatible.
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Does anyone know if this would work with 15Khz? Says VGA, SVGA, XVGA
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255412097504

Mainly want to use it for my retro-access cables for PS1, PS2 and SNES, its a great price too if it works.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

AaronSR wrote:Does anyone know if this would work with 15Khz? Says VGA, SVGA, XVGA
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255412097504

Mainly want to use it for my retro-access cables for PS1, PS2 and SNES, its a great price too if it works.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303510406523

I have one of these and it works totally fine with 15kHz RGBS, I would assume the Lindy one does too? The only thing that makes me unsure is that it's an automatic switcher, so the circuitry must be a little more advanced than my mechanical switcher. I'm more than willing to be that it works perfectly fine, though
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

I would rather have a mechanical one actually so thanks for that I'll see if I can find it here, Cheers.