Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by neorichieb1971 »

thanks. I'd rather someone made me a disc :wink:

My GC plays American and Japanese discs. It doesn't play DVD'rs. If someone did the disc for me, what would I need to do to my GC to run it?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
strygo

Post by strygo »

I'd recommend reading up on the Game Boy Interface. It's a higher quality option than Nintendo's disc. Take a look here for a decent primer: http://retrorgb.com/gameboyinterface.html.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I know nothing about this, but which devices should I look into to be able to use PS3/Xbox USB Arcade Fightsticks (by MadCatz and Hori) on older systems like Sega Saturn and Dreamcast?

Don't know if I have to install a new circuit board inside or if there's plug-in adapters or what (would love a universal kit of sorts to use on all different systems). I can deal with installing a new board into the fightsticks if needed, as long as it A.) Still works on my Xbox 360/One, PS3/4, Windows PC, and Raspberry Pi 3 - just as these do now, and B.) I don't have to make my own adapter dongles for the different controller plugs (for Saturn and Dreamcast) as that's beyond my soldering skills.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Well Brook is the main company that develops fightstick boards and adapters that I know of, they just this week announced a PS3 to Dreamcast converter, but I'm not sure about Saturn.

Personally I ended up with a couple of the Seimitsu Virtua Sticks that I use on the Saturn and Dreamcast (via the Total Control 4).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:I know nothing about this, but which devices should I look into to be able to use PS3/Xbox USB Arcade Fightsticks (by MadCatz and Hori) on older systems like Sega Saturn and Dreamcast?

Don't know if I have to install a new circuit board inside or if there's plug-in adapters or what (would love a universal kit of sorts to use on all different systems). I can deal with installing a new board into the fightsticks if needed, as long as it A.) Still works on my Xbox 360/One, PS3/4, Windows PC, and Raspberry Pi 3 - just as these do now, and B.) I don't have to make my own adapter dongles for the different controller plugs (for Saturn and Dreamcast) as that's beyond my soldering skills.
I don't think I have a good, ready-to-go solution for you, but I think I can provide some insight or context.

Coming from the music game scene, one of the problems that arose was using beatmania IIDX controllers (both arcade and home styles) on Windows PCs. Being music games, timing (and thus minimal latency) is critical, and almost all of the PlayStation->USB converters introduced way too much lag for any music games to be playable. (There's been talk of some Radio Shack unicorn converters, but I'm not convinced they're all that good.)

The solution the community came up with was custom native-USB control boards that could accommodate all the buttons, as well as the turntables (rotary encoders) and controller lighting, and would not waste any time converting the PlayStation controller language to USB.

So, with that in mind, if I was doing what you were doing, I'd wire up my controller to have a 9-pin or 15-pin DSub (or whatever) connector, and then fit a matching port and harness to a native controller for the system I want to use it on. So, if we're talking Saturn, I'd look for a controller already made for a Saturn, wire up a harness to its PCB, and then plug my arcade stick into that.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote:So, if we're talking Saturn, I'd look for a controller already made for a Saturn, wire up a harness to its PCB, and then plug my arcade stick into that.
Thank you for the insight but not looking for another huge DIY project. I can barely even re-wire my PC Engine controller to fit the USA's different TurboGrafx-16 mini din plug...(that was my last project...should have just used the extension adapter cable ;)

I know somebody is selling individual cables right now which end in Ethernet cable-type (universal?) plug? Saw another post where you can plug in a USB (assuming fightstick) into a box which plugs right into your Sega Saturn. I know there's some USB controllers (which go inside the fightstick's box and have all the buttons hooked up into them - some with screw terminals so no soldering needed even) the competition players (amongst others) use which are compatible with a whole bunch of systems. The entire Ralph-Net product line (mostly converting to USB, instead of using USB controllers on older consoles I think)...

Was just hoping there was some out-of-the box solution which will do what I want it to do (even if I would need a separate device for each console: a USB to Saturn adapter, and a USB to Dreamcast adapter).

Kez wrote:Well Brook is the main company that develops fightstick boards and adapters that I know of, they just this week announced a PS3 to Dreamcast converter, but I'm not sure about Saturn.

Personally I ended up with a couple of the Seimitsu Virtua Sticks that I use on the Saturn and Dreamcast (via the Total Control 4).
Thanks. I mentioned that one in my reply above (amongst a bunch of others). I think this falls into probably needing a separate device-per-console (and I have to see if that one will take Xbox 360 fightsticks as well...which I don't think it does, only PS3). This is also why I thought it might be easier if I rewired all 5x fightsticks to one of those universal controllers you talk about - IF it's part of a system where I can use that controller on a whole bunch of systems (with pre-made controller port adapters or something like that).

Currently researching MC Cthulhu, but it seems like they're not taking any new orders and their website is down....seems to do what I want (for PS3 controllers at least)...still researching. PS360+ looks like a winner so far with USB + older system support... (so much friggin info to wade through!). Brooks?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

So : I'll be needing a component to RGB (preferably SCART) transcoder for a 15kHz RGB-capable Trinitron that has a SCART input. What are the best(also interested in the "best price/performance ratio") ones out there again?

The Garo is sold out

Keene has the RGB2C, am I correct in assuming it performs super well? (videogameperfection.com review says it performs excellent). It needs a Scart-to-YUV adapter on the input but I guess this is pretty easy to find and cheap. It retails for 70 pounds though, which is a pretty hefty price tag considering the money I'm willing to put into this right now (it does have the advantage of being bi-directional though, if I ever want to use RGB-to-YUV).

There's also the elusive Keene Aptus 2, which is a newer, simplified design (not bi-directional) that uses the same chip, so should be same quality, as the RGB2C. Problem is, I haven't seen one listing anywhere...

Anything else I'm missing?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'll be needing a component to RGB (preferably SCART) transcoder for a 15kHz RGB-capable Trinitron that has a SCART input
what sources of yours do offer 15khz component but no RGB ?

It's a rarely requested type of conversion.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Fudoh wrote: what sources of yours do offer 15khz component but no RGB ?

It's a rarely requested type of conversion.
PSP and dvd player

I guess for the Wii I can soft-mod it and use a SCART cable. But don't you have a red menu when doing this on a NTSC Wii? And don't you have to go and select PAL60 everytime you boot up your Wii, in order to use that function? (does RGB look any better than component on Wii btw?)

Also the connector on the TV is not SCART, it's a 34 pin one and I'll be making a SCART adapter for it. Should I go with a VGA (HD15) connector instead? would this give me lot more options?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Most component to VGA transcoders will work with 15khz sources. You just need to know how to handle the RGBHV sync output format afterwards.

PSP in 480i isn't a good idea.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Alright I might try to make a VGA connector then. Currently there's a pinout diagram out there for this TV to make a SCART socket, so this is easier for me to make, but I'll see if I'll be able to make an HD15 one.

(alternatively : are there good quality SCART to HD15 cables for RGBS? I could make a SCART socket for the tv and use said cable to connect the TV to a transcoder. that could work too, and would actually be way easier for me. I see some on Ebay but they have poor reviews. Wonder if it's because of people who haven't figured out how to use them properly, or if they really are shit?)

I have a cheap component-to-vga transcoder here and it performs decent(I doubt that it's flawless though), maybe I'll stick to that, and find a way to connect it's HD15 output to my Trinitron.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Kez

Post by Kez »

Dochartaigh wrote:PS360+ looks like a winner so far with USB + older system support... (so much friggin info to wade through!).
Ah yes, I knew I was forgetting something.. the PS360+ would suit your needs quite well I think (though it doesn't support VMU on DC which can make saving in some games a bit awkward involving controller swapping), but the last time I checked they are pretty difficult to get hold of.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

So another question regarding NTSC Wii and RGB :

I've read that people play roms/isos via a homebrew program and in the program's menu, are able to change the display mode to PAL60.

What I want to know is : is there such a menu on Virtual Console? Can these games be played in PAL60? I need to know this before ordering a Wii SCART cable
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

So does the JVC X'Eye really have the sharpest RGB output and cleanest audio? I've also heard that CDs load faster on the JVC X'Eye than any other Sega CD model.

https://medium.com/rgb-inside/comparing ... 3d3703270b

Also, I've noticed that all JVC X'Eyes have a BIOS firmware of Ver 2.00 for the CD side, while some Sega CD Model 2 can have a BIOS firmware of Ver 2.21. What's the difference with the extra .21?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Most HDMI->VGA adapters shouldn't add any lag as long as it's just a dac and not an upscaler (with a framebuffer).
sqturn2k

Post by sqturn2k »

Hello there,

I want to buy a PSP and playing it on my HDTV : Should I bother getting one with 480i support ? (3000 or Go)

Long story short DS3 support on the Go would have been really handy but I learnt that I need a N340 to charge it and use component at the same time.
And since I have the pc near my TV, I also figured I can simply use RemoteJoyLite to use a PC controller or arcade stick with it, as I have seen good reports about input lag when the screen transfer is off. (But maybe at the cost of some incompatible games...). And I figured playing PS1 games with a real PS1 controller with my usb adapter should be nice :mrgreen:

I believe 480i output support for the psp is mostly for SDTV, am I right?

edit : just watched the MLIG video, and if we set the component output to "interlace", we get real 240p on ps1 games.

Well I think I should just make a decision myself if it's worth it or not :mrgreen:
okerlo

Post by okerlo »

Hey there,
I have a hardmodded XBox and so far I ripped my games directly with the console onto the internal harddrive and played them without the disc. Unfortunately I have one of those Thomson disc-drives and it doesn't work anymore. Maybe there is just some dust on the lens, I'll have to look but at this point it's simply not working.
I might just connect my XBox via ftp to my computer and copy the games over to the console, but how do I copy the games on my PC in the first place? Is this only possible with an working console or is there some software that'll do the work?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

You either have to use an xbox or a Kreon drive with the correct firmware unfortunately.
okerlo

Post by okerlo »

Oh well, thanks for the answer.
Now I opened up the console, cleaned the lens, put everything back together and now I can't boot into the custom dashboard, strange. I'm getting error 7.
An Xecuter2 chip is build in and according to some site I found the error means:
7 - kernel - HDD timeout
Most of the times, the IDE cable is not properly connected when you see this error. Please reattach the ide cable. Not only to the harddisk drive but also to the dvd drive. ALso try to reconnect the ide cable to the motherboard.
I checked the cables a couple of times now, everything is connected.
Strange, looks like I broke everything now :lol:
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Let's say that I powered on a device that expects 12V with 5V instead, and that that device horribly screams in pain for the 4-5 seconds it took me to realize what was wrong and unplug it. And that now said device powers on but does not output anything anymore.. would you say it is done for? :cry:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I have a hard time believing that powering a device with a considerably lower voltage than required would kill it right away.
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Anyone with a PSone LCD know how it deals with games that have resolution switching (Chrono Cross, Silent Hill etc.)?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Fudoh wrote:I have a hard time believing that powering a device with a considerably lower voltage than required would kill it right away.
Yeah, but you just had to hear the screeching sound it emitted - it was not nice.

Turns out that I just scrambled the firmware - re-flashing it brought the unit back to life. I could have thought about that before hammering the hell out of it to open it up :lol:
Kez

Post by Kez »

I have a couple questions on different but loosely related topics.

#1: when I connect my Dreamcast to my BVM D20F1E in 480p, the top part of the image is skewed to the left slightly:

I'm using a Toro's scart output cause it fits in my setup easier.

When I run it through VGA into an Extron 201 Rxi, the problem persists unless I flick the SERR dip switch on the back, at which point it goes away. Great! Except...

#2: My Extron 201 Rxi does not work properly with my BVM. I get this kind of weird wobbly distortion and ghosting across the whole image, as if the 3 colours are out of sync with one another. It makes the image absolutely horrible to look at and renders the Extron useless. None of the dip switches on the back seem to have any impact on this effect. Note that I have 75 ohm terminators on all my BVM outputs (without them it does not sync at all).

Here are some images of the problems described (first the Dreamcast and then 2 of the Extron): https://imgur.com/a/0bQnK

So my main questions are:

- Is there any other way to fix the distortion on my DC?
- Is my Extron broken or is it some sort of compatibility issue?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I think your BVM has the VCR compatibility mode - have you tried to turn that on? If I remember correctly it's under the maintenance menu.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Thanks for the response - unfortunately it seems like VCR mode doesn't work in 31khz. I have been doing more digging and found this thread which is basically the same issue and confirms that it is a common problem with D series BVMs.

Looks like I am on the right track with the Extron, still curious as to what is going on with my 201 though cause I'm hesitant to buy another in case it is an issue with my BVM.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I've never heard of RGB interfaces messing up the video signal.. are you sure the boost dial is on neutral level (ie just at the end of the red marks)?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Yeah - doesn't matter what I do with the dials, the effect shows no signs of changing at all.

Here are some more images that might give a clearer indication what is going on:

https://imgur.com/MGAgpo9
https://imgur.com/SfIEh8n
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Kez wrote:Yeah - doesn't matter what I do with the dials, the effect shows no signs of changing at all.
I just re-read your posts and I don't know what happens if you hook up the Dreamcast, with Toro set to RGBS, directly to your BVM. Besides the skew on the top (since you took the Extron RGB out of the loop), are you still getting a funky picture otherwise? If so, then your Extron RGB is probably working correctly and your problem lies elsewhere.

Also, I can't say with absolute certainty, and I'm not able to test with now, but I'm pretty sure BVM's will still work (and get sync) with the 75 ohm terminators removed - albeit with a much brighter picture than normal (can somebody confirm this?). You said yours won't sync with the terminators removed which sounds a little weird to me.

After that, I would go through your setup replacing one item at a time until you find out what's causing the issue. You'll probably say that's not possible, but it's the only way to find out if your Dreamcast, Dreamcast power supply, Toro, Cables, Extron RGB, or the BVM itself is the problem (unless you just luck into finding something and it happens to fix it)...Maybe somebody else in your area has a similar setup and you can swap out items until you find what the problem is. I just setup my Dreamcast this week, with a Toro and through an Extron RGB interface, going to my BVM-D20, and it seems to work ok so far (some little issues I need to work out but still a great image).
Kez

Post by Kez »

Dochartaigh wrote:I just re-read your posts and I don't know what happens if you hook up the Dreamcast, with Toro set to RGBS, directly to your BVM. Besides the skew on the top (since you took the Extron RGB out of the loop), are you still getting a funky picture otherwise? If so, then your Extron RGB is probably working correctly and your problem lies elsewhere.
Hey, sorry I wasn't more clear. The Dreamcast looks incredible when hooked directly to the D20 via the Toro (except for the skew). The Extron exhibits the same symptoms regardless of what is hooked up to it (the first images were taken on the SNES 240p test suite).

Here's what I have tried:

various consoles->gscartsw->Sync Strike->Extron->BVM
various consoles->Sync Strike->Extron->BVM
Dreamcast->Extron->BVM

They all give the same results, this weird distorted picture.

The only thing I can't do currently is test the Extron on another device, as I don't have a BNC->SCART connector, only SCART->BNC. However, I did briefly connect the Extron to a JVC monitor in the past and did not have this issue.

EDIT: Just had a thought.. if I set the Extron to SOG and use my SCART->BNC in reverse, this should work with the OSSC right?

EDIT2: You're right about the 75ohm terminators, I was getting confused with another issue I had in the past. For some reason, I could not get the BVM to sync with a bandridge manual scart switch until I put terminators on.