The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
andykara2003

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by andykara2003 »

Much appreciated :)
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

I recently acquired a briefcase PCE setup - CoreGrafx, IFU, and Super CD-ROM - and am getting around to figuring out this whole CD thing. My understanding has been that I have to use the audio jacks on the IFU if I want to hear the CD audio, so I ordered some cable and plugs to make a little adapter to put on the end of my DIN-SCART cable to break out the audio. However, last night I went to play some Rondo of Blood (off a burned disc that is an English translation, mind you) and... it sounded fine? It didn't even occur to me until after that I was only plugged in to the DIN on the CoreGrafx and that I was not connected to the AV outs on the IFU at all. Soundtrack played, voiceover played, sound effects played. It sounded just like it's supposed to. I did notice the music cut out completely during a cutscene, but I assumed this was just a weird skip or something. So now I am confused. Do I actually need to use the audio out on the IFU to get the CD audio? And, if so, how come it seems to be working without?
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

My PS4 is exhibiting a strange anomaly that I take issue with.

Whenever I watch DVDs on the PS4, within a short amount of time watching, (around 15 minutes or so,) the screen blacks out. The screen blanks abruptly, the sound drops out, and I have to press the face buttons on the remote to get the picture back.

Last night it was worse, as the signal dropped out COMPLETELY, as if the system was not even on (but it was.)

What is going on? Can I fix the problem?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Logan Jones wrote:Whenever I watch DVDs on the PS4, within a short amount of time watching, (around 15 minutes or so,) the screen blacks out. The screen blanks abruptly, the sound drops out, and I have to press the face buttons on the remote to get the picture back.
Isn't that happening because your PS4 is going into sleep mode after 15 minutes? Disable sleep mode for all content and see if it fixes the problem.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

Lawfer wrote:
Logan Jones wrote:Whenever I watch DVDs on the PS4, within a short amount of time watching, (around 15 minutes or so,) the screen blacks out. The screen blanks abruptly, the sound drops out, and I have to press the face buttons on the remote to get the picture back.
Isn't that happening because your PS4 is going into sleep mode after 15 minutes? Disable sleep mode for all content and see if it fixes the problem.
Okay, I'll try it!
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

thebigcheese wrote:Do I actually need to use the audio out on the IFU to get the CD audio? And, if so, how come it seems to be working without?
Okay, so I popped in a music CD and that also comes out the CoreGrafx AV out. So... I guess I don't need to use the audio out on the IFU?
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

thebigcheese wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:Do I actually need to use the audio out on the IFU to get the CD audio? And, if so, how come it seems to be working without?
Okay, so I popped in a music CD and that also comes out the CoreGrafx AV out. So... I guess I don't need to use the audio out on the IFU?
this post says that it is needed for CDDA
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

it's still not supposed to be this way. I think there are mods available that feed the audio back into the Core Grafx / PCE unit, but I've never seen one or done one. But that's really the only explanation.

Usually you get chip audio from the Core/PCE unit, CD-only audio from the headphone jack on the CD drive and mixed audio (chip + CDDA + adpcm).

On my old setup during the late 80s and half way through the 90s I used an external mixer for the PCE, so I could get louder CDDA compared to the chip music. This wouldn't work with the mod done on your setup.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

can extrons only input h + v or h/v sync, or can they also accept sync on green or luma?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

vol.2 wrote:can extrons only input h + v or h/v sync, or can they also accept sync on green or luma?
Which Extron? There's quite literally about a thousand different models they make... Looking in it's manual will also give you this answer.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Fudoh wrote:it's still not supposed to be this way. I think there are mods available that feed the audio back into the Core Grafx / PCE unit, but I've never seen one or done one. But that's really the only explanation.

Usually you get chip audio from the Core/PCE unit, CD-only audio from the headphone jack on the CD drive and mixed audio (chip + CDDA + adpcm).

On my old setup during the late 80s and half way through the 90s I used an external mixer for the PCE, so I could get louder CDDA compared to the chip music. This wouldn't work with the mod done on your setup.
AFAIK the IFU is not modded, though I can't figure out how to open it up to look. The guy I bought it from didn't list it as modded and I haven't done any work to it. The CoreGrafx I am in the middle of modding for RGB, but no other mods. Based on the info on this page, there is an audio return pin on the expansion port, though it's only a single pin so I'm not sure if it would return stereo audio. I'm guessing the disc version of the 240p Test Suite still uses the sound chip rather than CD audio, though, so probably not so useful for me testing that.

I have the IFU audio hooked up at the same time to a separate sound system right now and have had both on at the same time for comparison. Aside from a slight delay (CoreGrafx goes to OSSC, then to TV, then via ARC to receiver whereas the IFU goes direct to a small speaker), seems to be identical.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
vol.2 wrote:can extrons only input h + v or h/v sync, or can they also accept sync on green or luma?
Which Extron? There's quite literally about a thousand different models they make... Looking in it's manual will also give you this answer.
thanks for the reply. i found the relevant information. i have a 203 rxi which accepts RGsB, RGBS, RGBHV and RsGsBs. I also own a VSC 700 which accepts RGsB, RGBHV and RGBH/V.

i believe that RGBH/V and RGBS are the same thing, however, i have never seen RsBsGs before. Is that the same as Luma or Composite video maybe?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

vol.2 wrote:...i have never seen RsBsGs before. Is that the same as Luma or Composite video maybe?
RsGsBs is neither composite nor luma; it is RGB, just with composite sync muxed on all three video lines rather than just on green or on its own line.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

vol.2 wrote:i believe that RGBH/V and RGBS are the same thing, however, i have never seen RsBsGs before. Is that the same as Luma or Composite video maybe?
RGB HV is separate sync, ie horizontal and vertical sync on separate lines. RGBs is composite sync (c-syc), which is H and V combined onto a single line.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

thebigcheese wrote:RGBs
I know sync-on-blue isn't a thing, and that the community at large doesn't really care about this, and that it's possibly just a typo, but in every other context (RGsB, RsGsBs), lowercase 's' means that sync is muxed onto the previous video line; so RGBs should mean composite sync muxed onto Blue, and RGBS (capital 'S') should mean composite sync on a separate wire.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

thebigcheese wrote:
vol.2 wrote:i believe that RGBH/V and RGBS are the same thing, however, i have never seen RsBsGs before. Is that the same as Luma or Composite video maybe?
RGB HV is separate sync, ie horizontal and vertical sync on separate lines. RGBs is composite sync (c-syc), which is H and V combined onto a single line.
this exteon, the vsc 700, labels the H sync line as H/V instead of "S" like the 203 rxi does. i suppose i could call it "RGB H/V," with a space, but im operating umder the assumption that instead of a separate "S" sync line, like the 203, the vsc 700 just makes the H BNC do double duty as the composite sync line when V isn't connected. but i could be wrong
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

nmalinoski wrote:
vol.2 wrote:...i have never seen RsBsGs before. Is that the same as Luma or Composite video maybe?
RsGsBs is neither composite nor luma; it is RGB, just with composite sync muxed on all three video lines rather than just on green or on its own line.

thanks.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

vol.2 wrote:this exteon, the vsc 700, labels the H sync line as H/V instead of "S" like the 203 rxi does.
I think (been a while since I messed with mine TBH) it's because you set the output in the LCD menu on the VSC 700 (and my 900 too which does YPbPr output as well), so it can output either combined sync or just the horizontal sync out of that same BNC depending on the output you choose.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
vol.2 wrote:this exteon, the vsc 700, labels the H sync line as H/V instead of "S" like the 203 rxi does.
I think (been a while since I messed with mine TBH) it's because you set the output in the LCD menu on the VSC 700 (and my 900 too which does YPbPr output as well), so it can output either combined sync or just the horizontal sync out of that same BNC depending on the output you choose.
im not sure i completely understand why they couldn't just do the same thing with the extra S input/output. perhaps it's more of a cost savings and panel real estate savings measure; they achieved some new tech thst allowed for the reduction of physical connectors and too advantage of it.

also, the vsc 700 does component output as well
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

vol.2 wrote:im not sure i completely understand why they couldn't just do the same thing with the extra S input/output. perhaps it's more of a cost savings and panel real estate savings measure; they achieved some new tech thst allowed for the reduction of physical connectors and too advantage of it.

Right you are on the VSC 700 - it's YPbPr INPUT (not output) which the VSC 900 has which the 700 doesn't.

For the Extron RGB's I think they simply have all those BNC's on the back because there is no menu which goes with the LCD display where you could choose how it outputs (and lower end Extron RGB's don't even have a LCD screen), so they make the output as simply as possible: plug in whatever you want to the correctly labeled BNC's and it'll output that signal (with the exception being the RGsB dipswitch on the back most models have).
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
vol.2 wrote:im not sure i completely understand why they couldn't just do the same thing with the extra S input/output. perhaps it's more of a cost savings and panel real estate savings measure; they achieved some new tech thst allowed for the reduction of physical connectors and too advantage of it.

Right you are on the VSC 700 - it's YPbPr INPUT (not output) which the VSC 900 has which the 700 doesn't.

For the Extron RGB's I think they simply have all those BNC's on the back because there is no menu which goes with the LCD display where you could choose how it outputs (and lower end Extron RGB's don't even have a LCD screen), so they make the output as simply as possible: plug in whatever you want to the correctly labeled BNC's and it'll output that signal (with the exception being the RGsB dipswitch on the back most models have).
ok. i think we were saying the same thing. just didn't wrap my head around the way you said it. :)
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

I think I just made a mistake.

Does the Gamecube D-Terminal cable carry the audio as well as the video signal?

I bought the D-Terminal cable because I figured I already had an adapter for my PSX and it wasn't that big of a deal and still ~$100 cheaper than buying component cables. Turned out my adapter was the wrong gender on the D-Terminal end so I needed to buy another one, which was also not a big deal because it was $15, but the adapter (and every one I've seen on-line) doesn't have the audio RCA cables.

So either, is the Audio handled over the non-digital out on the Gamecube, like on the PSX it's separate from the D-terminal plug?

Or do I need to find (make?) a D-terminal to component breakout cable that has audio as well?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

neither the component (RCA) nor the d-terminal Cube cable have audio. You're supposed to plug in your composite video/audio cable into the analogue output at the same time and get audio from there.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Fudoh wrote:neither the component (RCA) nor the d-terminal Cube cable have audio. You're supposed to plug in your composite video/audio cable into the analogue output at the same time and get audio from there.
That's perfect! For a moment I thought I really made a big mistake.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

DejahThoris wrote:That's perfect! For a moment I thought I really made a big mistake.
Nintendo never released a cable to use the digital audio output.
If original Xbox is any indication, it would've been an optical adapter.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Hey all, hopefully this is the right spot for this question. I figured there'd be a thread on this somewhere already, but searching for the term "scope" of course returns hundreds of hits. So...if there is already a dedicated thread, please point me to it.

ANYHOO, I'm preparing to take the plunge on investing in a scope. I've done a little bit of research, and believe this one will cover all my needs. The basic uses will be of course the typical projects we dive into around here, arcade board repair, possibly even some stereo equipment repair. Would this one be a good investment?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hantek-DSO5102 ... =R40&rt=nc
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

thebigcheese wrote:
Fudoh wrote:it's still not supposed to be this way. I think there are mods available that feed the audio back into the Core Grafx / PCE unit, but I've never seen one or done one. But that's really the only explanation.

AFAIK the IFU is not modded, though I can't figure out how to open it up to look. The guy I bought it from didn't list it as modded and I haven't done any work to it. The CoreGrafx I am in the middle of modding for RGB, but no other mods. Based on the info on this page, there is an audio return pin on the expansion port, though it's only a single pin so I'm not sure if it would return stereo audio. I'm guessing the disc version of the 240p Test Suite still uses the sound chip rather than CD audio, though, so probably not so useful for me testing that.

I have the IFU audio hooked up at the same time to a separate sound system right now and have had both on at the same time for comparison. Aside from a slight delay (CoreGrafx goes to OSSC, then to TV, then via ARC to receiver whereas the IFU goes direct to a small speaker), seems to be identical.
On further testing, it seems that the audio going back into the CoreGrafx and out my cable is just mono. My receiver is normally set to Pro Logic II Game, which I think routes any signal that is the same on both left and right channels to come out the center channel. However, when I play the same game (Rondo of Blood) via Wii VC, there is very clearly stereo audio happening. Granted this isn't a totally fair comparison as that audio is coming out digitally (and some of the sound effects seem to be missing, weirdly?), but it indicates that what I thought might be going on is right. Guess I will be getting a new cable after all :p So, in summary, yes it technically works with only the CoreGrafx cable, but you get mono instead of stereo audio.
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

Does anyone know what kind of mounting plate is needed in the Hori VX-SA ? Just picked one up and I'd like to replace the level with a LS-56.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

NoAffinity wrote:Hey all, hopefully this is the right spot for this question. I figured there'd be a thread on this somewhere already, but searching for the term "scope" of course returns hundreds of hits. So...if there is already a dedicated thread, please point me to it.

ANYHOO, I'm preparing to take the plunge on investing in a scope. I've done a little bit of research, and believe this one will cover all my needs. The basic uses will be of course the typical projects we dive into around here, arcade board repair, possibly even some stereo equipment repair. Would this one be a good investment?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hantek-DSO5102 ... =R40&rt=nc
so, i'd personally go with a used tektronix. i've seen 90's tektronix on craigslist for 200-250 in the past couple years when i was looking. there are better ones like agilent, but they are going to break the bank
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Does anyone know a version of Gameshark for PS1 that works well with the PS2? I have a legit V5 of the PS1 GameShark, but it does not seem to play nice with my Fat/Slim PS2.
There seem to be other versions out there. V2, V3, V4, Lite and V5. Can anyone confirm a working version? Want to be able to turn off random encounters again in Star Ocean. :(