Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
eric90000

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by eric90000 »

Fudoh wrote:
If using a BNC > SCART cable, The RGBs output of the PVM wouldn't have the correct voltage on SCART pin 16 to make the CRT switch to RGB.
If your TV can't be manually set to RGB (many Sony TVs can), then you can add a battery or a USB power supply to your connection cable.
Ah you beat me to it before I got a chance to edit my post....thanks Fudoh! It looks like I can indeed manually change my Sony TV to the RGB SCART input. So in that case this cable should do the trick to link my PVM output to my Sony CRT?

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... rter-cable
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Namingway_PL wrote:All PVM monitors have automatic termination, so there is no need for termination plugs. Only BVM monitors need them.
Sony has the "PVM" moniker trademarked so this is technically true, but I had an Ikegami that needed the terminations.
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
IPD

Post by IPD »

I recently picked up a JVC BM-H2000PN 20" monitor but it's still in storage and I haven't tested it much yet. Do I need 75 ohm terminating plugs on this monitor?
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that my soldering job seems to have worked, and the cables work great. The bad news is that this didn't fix the issue I've been having, and i'm now concerned it's a bit more sinister.

My SNES Jr with the internal amp mod has a TON of noise when put through the crosspoint. I can only describe it as a sort of static snow over the whole image, especially noticeable in dark colours. When plugged in directly, for some reason the image has a weird doubling effect on the OSSC. When plugged through the crosspoint it's correct and the pixels are sharp, but with even more noise.
I assumed this was some sort of weird sync issue, but i'm not totally sure now after adding the resistor. The output of the SNES directly is 75ohm, and now the output of the crosspoint should be 75ohm.

The weird thing is other consoles seem to be fine. I haven't been able to test the N64 properly yet, but it seems to have substantially less noise at a quick glance. My cables are all absolutely fine, and I've tried swapping the N64 and SNES cable to no effect.

Any ideas what this could be?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

arithmaldor wrote:
Namingway_PL wrote:All PVM monitors have automatic termination, so there is no need for termination plugs. Only BVM monitors need them.
Sony has the "PVM" moniker trademarked so this is technically true, but I had an Ikegami that needed the terminations.
This isn't neogaf. When we say PVM here we mean Sony's monitors.
Kez

Post by Kez »

IPD wrote:I recently picked up a JVC BM-H2000PN 20" monitor but it's still in storage and I haven't tested it much yet. Do I need 75 ohm terminating plugs on this monitor?
I think this monitor has manual switches on the back to enable termination
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Einzelherz wrote:
arithmaldor wrote:
This isn't neogaf. When we say PVM here we mean Sony's monitors.
Lol true, I guess I should expect a higher level of precision in language here
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Does anyone know a good place to purchase a Retro Freak that ships to the United States? I know it's emulation, but I'm mostly interested in backing up all my games. Also, is there a stock issue/situation with these things? The price seems to have skyrocketed on them.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

GojiFan90 wrote:Does anyone know a good place to purchase a Retro Freak that ships to the United States? I know it's emulation, but I'm mostly interested in backing up all my games. Also, is there a stock issue/situation with these things? The price seems to have skyrocketed on them.
I believe it was removed from Amazon because they're illegally selling non-commercially-licensed emulators.
https://www.libretro.com/index.php/upda ... situation/
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
zimes

Post by zimes »

This is a long shot, but if I can find a solution, it will probably be on here. :D

I'm trying to hook my PS3 via component to my Philips 24PT6341/37 CRT, and I for the life of me can't find the component video input (CVI) channel. I consulted the manual for the TV online. The manual says CVI should be in the list of AV channels, but mine only displays AV1, AV2, and FRONT. I ran the Auto Program feature and still no luck.

Has anyone encountered this TV and this problem? Would there be a way to factory reset everything to see if the CVI would show up as an option?
Kez

Post by Kez »

The manual on Philips' site seems to suggest that CVI replaces AV1 when a component source is connected.
zimes

Post by zimes »

Kez wrote:The manual on Philips' site seems to suggest that CVI replaces AV1 when a component source is connected.
I read that too, and I think I found the solution. I had to turn on the PS3 first and then turn on the TV. For whatever, the input didn't switch when I had the TV on first. Weird.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I can post on the Krikzz forums, but I assume I'm just doing something stupid. I get this error when using my N8/NES Everdrive for the first time (first time ever using one of these actually):

So I go to the Krikzz.com site and look at the OS files - the readme with all the OS files links me to a forum post saying that I don't need a OS installed on a newer unit (I got this from Amazon, Krikzz started selling them there so I assume it's brand net)....but since I get the above error when I just dumb my roms onto a SD card in a folder, I download the newest OS and put it in the root of the SD card (which is a SanDisk 16gb Ultra formatted FAT32), and still get that error... Any help?

*EDIT* Try a second micro SD card (and micro to standard SD card adapter), a Samsung Evo 32gb, format it FAT32, end get an "Error: 44" SD Initialization error...
FBX

Post by FBX »

I've found the EDSD folder must be the first thing you put on the SD card, then your ROMs 2nd for best stability.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

FBX wrote:I've found the EDSD folder must be the first thing you put on the SD card, then your ROMs 2nd for best stability.
Yup, found that out a little bit ago - they said put it in the root, so by "it" I thought that meant the CONTENTS of the folder...not the folder itself. I told you guys it was something stupid ;) - thanks. Doesn't like my romset either - does like pleasuredome's no-intro I think which I'll have to filter into my favorite games when I get a chance.

While I'm in the random questions thread, have you guys ever seen jitter from a front loading NES only on the bottom of the image? Like this:

https://youtu.be/JktCpot7n6w

Weirdest thing I've ever seen in regards to this (I've had it on PVM's which need their deflection boards recapped, but it's always the entire image which jumps up and down - never seen it on only a well-defined part of the image). I've ruled out the monitor and the game - 2x other NES's work perfectly on the same TV with the same power supply and cables.

Think I should recap the power caps on the NES? (think those are the usual culprits on these).
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

That Panasonic with VHS looks awesome.
I dont know how popular it is around the globe, but never saw one around here.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

ross wrote:I'm looking to get an RGB SCART cable for the Wii.

Since the Wii only outputs sync-on-composite, will I see any composite artifacts with this cable?
I'd say it's possible, would be better off with this cable:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/NIN ... search=Wii

But they're not in stock :(
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I moved into a place recently where the living room has a wall covered completely in shelving, with a cutout and wall mount in the center for TV that will comfortably fit something along the lines of a 43" LCD (49" might be pushing it). Unfortunately, I'm looking at one of the 55" P-series TCLs, which most definitely won't fit in this space.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mount with a bracket that can hold the TV out from the wall about 18" (adjustable depth is fine)? Dochartaigh said in this post that the mounting points are on the lower portion of the display, so I'm thinking I might also need one of those offset mounting plates that can hold the TV lower.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

ross wrote:I'm looking to get an RGB SCART cable for the Wii.

Since the Wii only outputs sync-on-composite, will I see any composite artifacts with this cable?
I'm going to say no. RetroGamingCables is one of the best cable makers, so even their non-premium stuff is going to be great.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Does the Sony BVM-D14H5U support medium res?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

DejahThoris wrote:Does the Sony BVM-D14H5U support medium res?
As in 24khz? No Sony PVM/BVM does that which I know of. Just 240p, 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i (and all their PAL equivalents).
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Dochartaigh wrote:
As in 24khz? No Sony PVM/BVM does that which I know of. Just 240p, 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i (and all their PAL equivalents).
Ah, lame. I'm picking one up soon and was hoping it did. Guess I'm still hunting something to play the few 24khz Sharp 68k games on.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
I'm pretty sure multiformat PVM/BVMs can do any resolution between 240p and 1080i. It's not strictly limited to 240p, 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

GeneraLight wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:
I'm pretty sure multiformat PVM/BVMs can do any resolution between 240p and 1080i. It's not strictly limited to 240p, 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.
Hmmmm. Conflicting information then. Hopefully someone with a medium res arcade board can chime in with personal experience.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

GeneraLight wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:
Except that all the documentation specifically says that they are limited to those resolutions.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

There's some slight flexibility around those resolutions for sure (just as with most CRT's), on SOME monitors, but it's a big jump between 15khz and 31khz, which 24 falls right between and I'm pretty positive is out of spec on these Sony monitors we're talking about (at least with my trials and tribulations with all sorts of modelines on GroovyMAME/CRT Emudriver, as well as downscaling 480p to 240p with TVOne Corio2....they seem to be pretty strict to get a signal to show-up error free).

Hell, even Dreamcast 480p – which you would think is a pretty darn standard signal coming from a huge company (back in the day) like Sega – but it really isn't and you need an Extron RGB unit on a monitor like a BVM-D20 (and I assume D9, D14, D24, and D32 as well) to not have the image skewed on the top because that signal is just a little bit off spec. Same goes for Wii over component. You have to remember these are broadcast monitors meant to adhere to VERY strict broadcast standard type signals (which 24khz isn't) - just look at the entire BVM A-series (and D9 and D14) which won't sync with all these different consoles because they're not EXACTLY to spec.

The NEC monitors, which are one of the models which I believe do 24khz, are more meant as presentation and computer monitors so those can have a lot more flexibility with the types of signals they can take (when compared to Sony).
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

The NEC XM29 but also some Barco Monitors are perfect for these resolution and the X68000.
But you can also just get an Arcade trisync monitor and use this instead
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

svensonson wrote:The NEC XM29 but also some Barco Monitors are perfect for these resolution and the X68000.
Honestly I'd rather not use an arcade monitor.

I have a dozen cabs, and at least as many spare monitors. The x68000 is on my actual computer desk, and I'd like something that doesn't have an open frame just for aesthetics.

An XM29 is a pain to hunt down. If I could, I would. I had a XM37+ but that thing is just way way too large so I sold it.

My understanding is Barco monitors aren't really a thing in the US.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

DejahThoris wrote:
svensonson wrote:The NEC XM29 but also some Barco Monitors are perfect for these resolution and the X68000.

I have a dozen cabs, and at least as many spare monitors. The x68000 is on my actual computer desk, and I'd like something that doesn't have an open frame just for aesthetics.

An XM29 is a pain to hunt down. If I could, I would. I had a XM37+ but that thing is just way way too large so I sold it.

Maybe there are still a few Microvitec M1438 or even M1764 around in the U.S.
Perfect match for the X68000 and good desk size monitors.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

svensonson wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:

Maybe there are still a few Microvitec M1438 or even M1764 around in the U.S.
Perfect match for the X68000 and good desk size monitors.
I'll add those to my search list. Thanks!