shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:30 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 204  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:16 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
How much input lag does the HD Fury Linker add? (searched online but couldn't find an answer).

Also while we're at it : just how good is it's upscaling? (I don't require integer scaling, I'm fine with interpolation as long as the algoritm does a very good job)

Virtually no lag. Does not upscale anything but standard 1080p (does NOT accept OSSC linex5). Looks better if you force RGB color space in the software. Scaling is clean without ringing. The consensus is that it uses internal 4:2:0 chroma.

You might not need one. Remember that it doesn't upscale OSSC output. It's only worth buying if you have an upscaler in the chain to get proper standard 1080p timing and your 4k display has really bad blurry/slow upscaling.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:43 pm 

orange808 wrote:
Virtually no lag. Does not upscale anything but standard 1080p (does NOT accept OSSC linex5). Looks better if you force RGB color space in the software. Scaling is clean without ringing. The consensus is that it uses internal 4:2:0 chroma.

You might not need one. Remember that it doesn't upscale OSSC output. It's only worth buying if you have an upscaler in the chain to get proper standard 1080p timing and your 4k display has really bad blurry/slow upscaling.

It's actually just for PS3, I don't plan on buying an OSSC. I play all my retro consoles on a CRT exclusively

A tv I'm looking at has 22ms input lag for 4k sources, but 45ms for 1080p sources. So I was looking into this to get my PS3 to have the lower lag figure, since 45ms is too much for me.

Thanks for the input! appreciated

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:55 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
orange808 wrote:

It's actually just for PS3, I don't plan on buying an OSSC. I play all my retro consoles on a CRT exclusively

A tv I'm looking at has 22ms input lag for 4k sources, but 45ms for 1080p sources. So I was looking into this to get my PS3 to have the lower lag figure, since 45ms is too much for me.

Thanks for the input! appreciated

Keep in mind that a number of PS3 games will only output in 720p.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:12 pm 

bobrocks95 wrote:

Ah! I had forgotten about that.

Can ps1 games played on ps3, be upscaled to 1080p though?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:56 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:

Ah! I had forgotten about that.

Can ps1 games played on ps3, be upscaled to 1080p though?

yes

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:10 pm 

Xer Xian wrote:
I've bridged the green power on cable with ground on an ATX psu I have here. When I plug it to the wall the fan spins for maybe half a second and then it stops. No voltage coming from the pins. Is it dead or what?

Turns out this PSU has a minimum load requirement to be met (link), that's probably why it shuts down instantly. I've read about using a dummy load to get around this, essentially it implies soldering a resistor to each line. Resistor should have ohm equal to voltage / minimum amperage and watt/dissipation equal to about 1.5 voltage times minimum amperage of the line. What a pain just to test out a PSU. If I install the resistors then will they permanently lower the max power output of each line?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:11 am 

has anyone ever heard of a PS2 that will only output in black and white, or is this seller just dumb lol?

they claim the console works perfectly but only plays in black and white... this is a 39001 with the warranty sticker intact

NTSC U/C, american seller(, I assume american games?)

my first thought was using CVBS plugged into component Y port on TV or vice versa, but I didn't know if maybe there was a known issue here?

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:14 am 

Never encountered that before (and I've dealt with hundreds of PS2s). Seller is likely just an idiot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:
has anyone ever heard of a PS2 that will only output in black and white, or is this seller just dumb lol?

they claim the console works perfectly but only plays in black and white... this is a 39001 with the warranty sticker intact

my first thought was using CVBS plugged into component Y port on TV or vice versa, but I didn't know if maybe there was a known issue here?

CVBS connected to Y and Y connected but not Pb or Pr will exhibit this black-and-white-only behavior; certainly sounds like user error.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:20 am 

I think I've seen similar thing on a display that doesn't support the TV standard. NTSC on a TV that only does PAL for example, was a while ago so I could be mistaken.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 pm 

sqturn2k wrote:
At first I posted on the XRGB-Mini thread but I discovered it's not related to the mini, so I post it here.

I bought a new psp for it's tv out (it's a 3k) and I have some issues. I use a third-party component cable.

With the XRGB-Mini I have some "extra garbage" on the top, on the PSP Menu. Also the screen is shaking, and some game have black screen or heavy shaking at certain moments.

I will talk about the XMB menu because it's easier to explain :

It seem related to the colors and types of the theme I use :?: :
Some of it make the menu perfect without any issues (no shaking very clear without any issues)
Some make the screen do like a resolution switch (2-3 seconds)
Some make the screen shake
Some make the whole screen black and I need to change the theme color to have an image again.

At first I wrongly thought that my TV (using component input) didn't have issues, but discovering the theme thing made me discover that my TV also have problems.
On my TV the shaking can even be worse and the whole menu is slowed down in top of that.
And the same strange thing, on certain colors the shaking/slowdown stop, on others it's very problematic.

Do you think it's a faulty cable or a faulty console ? Something I can do ? :(

I'm happy to say it was a faulty cable. The new one (bought an official this time just to be sure) works without issues with the Framemeister. 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:58 pm 

Totally not video game related, but how do people in the USA ship packages to countries like the UK? I'm trying to get a quote for a fellow forum member for a 5.5 pound package (maybe 12x12x10") and between USPS, FedEx, and UPS, the cheapest quote I got online was $69, next cheapest was $189...I have to be missing something here...

The last package I got from the UK weighed 2.5 pounds and was literally $8 shipping...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:11 pm 

Has anyone tried Retro Game Supply's power adapters?

Thinking of buying one for an NTSC NES.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:58 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:
Totally not video game related, but how do people in the USA ship packages to countries like the UK? I'm trying to get a quote for a fellow forum member for a 5.5 pound package (maybe 12x12x10") and between USPS, FedEx, and UPS, the cheapest quote I got online was $69, next cheapest was $189...I have to be missing something here...

The last package I got from the UK weighed 2.5 pounds and was literally $8 shipping...

Yep...unfortunately that's how it is and for me it's been like it for some years. I stopped importing vinyl from USA because of this too, add the customs charges on top and I might as well dig my own grave :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:33 am 

So. There was the discovery back a bunch of months ago that the Everdrives were sending too much voltage or something (have no idea what exactly. but it was something about voltages). And that got fixed I think

My question is : does the Super UFO Pro 8 has the same problem regarding voltage? If if so can it REALLY damage your system? or is it more of a being-overtly-cautious thing? And can this cart hurt the console in any other way? Am I better off buying a Super EverDrive?

I'm looking into those since I'm a cheap bastard and those cart play everything I need to play on SFC. And the rom dumping feature is kinda fun.

Last edited by FinalBaton on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:37 am 

The issue is kinda the other way around.
The flashcarts have 3.3v chips recieving 5v signals from the console.
While it can work fine it's always going to pose a threat to the cart which could damage the console if it fails.

A translation circuit is the correct way to do this.

It's pretty easy to spot 3v to 5v translation circuits once you have seen a few.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:44 am 

Syntax wrote:
While it can work fine it's always going to pose a threat to the cart which could damage the console if it fails.

It's pretty easy to spot 3v to 5v translation circuits once you have seen a few.

thanks for the explanation Syntax! appreciated. now, regarding my question : does the Super UFO Pro 8 have 5v chips? and were the Everdrive fixed?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:29 am 

FinalBaton wrote:
Syntax wrote:

thanks for the explanation Syntax! appreciated. now, regarding my question : does the Super UFO Pro 8 have 5v chips? and were the Everdrive fixed?

according to dbelectronics' website, Mega Everdrive x5 and SD2SNES are good to go, the others IDK

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:40 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:
according to dbelectronics' website, Mega Everdrive x5 and SD2SNES are good to go, the others IDK

thanks for the info!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:40 am 

FinalBaton wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

thanks for the info!

Based on pictures of the board, the Super UFO Pro 8 appears to be using an ALTERA Max II CPLD which is only 3.3v tolerant for I/O. I don't see any level shifters on the board so I'd wager they are very susceptible to early death for this reason. As far as damage to the console, who knows? I guess it depends on how catastrophically the cart fails.
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:26 am 

Having a bit of a nightmare helping a friend configure a GV-USB2.

Current chain is Console->GV->Amarec->Xsplit.

We're using Amarec since Xsplit's deinterlacing is AWFUL - forced 30fps and it discards every other line. For various reasons OBS isn't an option, as much as I wish it was.
GV is set to Weave, AmaRec is set to deinterlace top field first, and either Retro Game or Role-Playing Game depending on 480i or 240p.

For 480i, this works absolutely great. Smooth 60fps, the RGB setting deinterlaces really well, and the picture is nice and stable.
For 240p, we're having an absolute nightmare. No matter what we try, we either get serious picture instability or considerable feathering. It doesn't matter if we use Retro Game or Role-Playing Game, both result in static elements like the Super Mario World logo being extremely juddery and unstable.

We've tried all sorts.
Weave + Amarec Deinterlacing Retro - Unstable image
Weave + Amarec Deinterlacing RPG - Slightly more stable image, but blurrier.
High Motion + No Amarec Deinterlacing - Huge amount of feathering
High Motion + Amarec Deinterlacing - Awful mess with both feathering and instability

I know exactly what we need - Display only top field twice and linedouble. (Bob + Discard?) I also know that OBS has this exact option with the Retro deinterlacer, but as I mentioned, OBS isn't an option.

Any advice? I'm out of ideas now, but i've seen a few videos of people claiming to get great 240p results with the GV-USB2. Here's an example - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/108454070. Copying the exact settings in the description of that video results in a huge amount of feathering.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 am 

Arthrimus wrote:
Based on pictures of the board, the Super UFO Pro 8 appears to be using an ALTERA Max II CPLD which is only 3.3v tolerant for I/O. I don't see any level shifters on the board so I'd wager they are very susceptible to early death for this reason. As far as damage to the console, who knows? I guess it depends on how catastrophically the cart fails.

Thanks Arthrimus!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:57 pm 

maxtherabbit wrote:

if anyone was curious, I bought it and it works perfectly fine :lol:

disc tray is a little sluggish on opening, but it's an otherwise perfect v7 ps2 for $20 shipped :D :D :D

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:45 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

if anyone was curious, I bought it and it works perfectly fine :lol:

disc tray is a little sluggish on opening, but it's an otherwise perfect v7 ps2 for $20 shipped :D :D :D

I'm betting the seller was using rca composite cables and testing the console on a component port. Some tvs allow this and others will display a black and white image. What a strange thing to assume was the consoles fault. Good for you though!

Anyone know if the Suzo 500 (or Omni-stik) is worth pursuing these days? It's been a few years since I've tried one in person so not sure if my nostalgia is just getting to me. I'm guessing I couldn't even fit it in a standard setup (Hori VLX/Mad catz) without more modification than it's worth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:30 pm 

I own a BVMD24 and I’m trying to auto set the colours using SMPTE bars on the SNES 240p suite. It’s hooked into the monitor with RGB.

However, I keep getting the message. R_100IRE LEVEL : NG halfway through the calibration. Has anybody experienced this before and found a solution?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:06 pm 

Remistewart wrote:
I own a BVMD24 and I’m trying to auto set the colours using SMPTE bars on the SNES 240p suite. It’s hooked into the monitor with RGB.

However, I keep getting the message. R_100IRE LEVEL : NG halfway through the calibration. Has anybody experienced this before and found a solution?

I guess you need the probe to perform the auto setup :?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:09 pm 

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I've never needed the probe in the past - was able to auto set up around a year or so ago. Not sure which variables have changed since then - still using the same wires, same console and same test suite bars :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:23 pm 

My 14L5 does that sometimes when I used to autocalibrate. Have you tried it with other inputs like S-video?

I fully recommend taking the time and expense of learning to calibrate it by hand, however.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:08 pm 

Hey Einzelherz, thanks for the message. I just tried using the PS3 on RGB progressive. I used an official PS3 component cable, and loaded in a png on a USB of an NTSC SMPTE export from Premiere CC and the auto calibration worked.

However, fine tuning by hand is recommended? Is it possible to have more accurate results this way? Do you have a source or guide that you could recommend that describes the process of calibrating by hand successfully?

Cheers!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:26 pm 

If you only have one monitor/display and you're happy with the results, don't worry about it. If you're more like me and have way too many of both, you might want to look into it.

I use a Colormunki display which is a cheaper version of an i1 display pro along with HCFR calibration software (it's free). The way I learned was by following this tutorial

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

It's for a different suite and colorimeter, but with some Google help you'll be able to sort it out.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 204  Next