Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xer Xian

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Xer Xian »

You could use popstarter as it lets you use cheats, but it's not the best way to play PS1 games. I'm reading that Gameshark lite works on PS2 but don't know if it's limited to only a few revisions or what.

--

There are a few powered Component switcher that can switch RGB with separate sync by channeling H+V signals through the L and R audio. Only way to have audio with RGBHV would be to use a digital or optical signal. I would be interested in routing RGBS+L,R analog audio instead. To that end, could I route composite sync through the coaxial audio input? According to wikipedia SPDIF is 0.5-0.6 peak to peak, which would be a pretty close match to attenuated sync levels; also, the sync signal is only made by square waves exactly as digital signals are.
So can I try this on my Shinybow SB-5526 or do I risk damaging something?
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Xer Xian wrote:You could use popstarter as it lets you use cheats, but it's not the best way to play PS1 games. I'm reading that Gameshark lite works on PS2 but don't know if it's limited to only a few revisions or what.
My PS2 is modded, but playing PS1 games from USB or HDD seems like a real pain from what I understand.

I found different Gameshark versions online (including Lite). Just don't want to waste good discs by burning them and finding out they will not work on PS2.
One review for Lite on Amazon that said Lite worked on PS2. So I might try to burn that one or find a legit copy.

Just found this video online that uses GameShark. Unable to tell what version he is using. It looks V5, but that can't be right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGb2MPmxgog
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

What are all the advantages and disadvantages between Model 1/2 of the Sega Saturn? Does the Model 1 have better RGB?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Oval buttons vs. Round buttons. Also an LED light, if memory serves.

And no.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Einzelherz wrote:Oval buttons vs. Round buttons. Also an LED light, if memory serves.

And no.
Thanks. A lot of people on other websites say the same thing, including MLiG. Although RetroRGB still has up his site that Model 1s produce a slightly better image than Model 2, which has caused other people to repeat that idea.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

GeneraLight wrote:Does the Model 1 have better RGB?
According to RetroRGB and co it does have a slightly better picture, the picture comparison is still up there on the website. Though I dunno in thet particular case if the term "better" is fitting for this, but it's definitly different.

Think of the differences between the PS1 revisions, which did give different picture results.

SCPH-100x:

SCPH-750x:

SCPH-900x:

PSOne:

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What you're seeing on those PS1 snapshots are differences in the video encoders, so you see differences on composite and s-video, but you won't with using RGB.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:What you're seeing on those PS1 snapshots are differences in the video encoders, so you see differences on composite and s-video, but you won't with using RGB.
Zero differences on RGB between models? I didn't know that thanks, so does using RGB also fix the higher-than-standard brightness on the SCPH-900x and PSOne models (when using RGB) as well?

Also then if RGB "equalizes" the picture quality between all the PS1 revisions, might you know what caused the nocticeable difference between the RetroRGB comparison shots between the Model 1 and Model 2 Sega Saturn?

http://retrorgb.com/saturncompare.html

According to these shots it definitly looks different, for one the Model 2 output quite a bit of a darker picture.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Zero differences on RGB between models?
not what I was saying. I was pointing out that the screenshots you posted are related to something else than a difference in RGB source signals.
might you know what caused the nocticeable difference between the RetroRGB comparison shots between the Model 1 and Model 2 Sega Saturn?
certainly related to the encoder chip as well. If you bypass it, the quality will be the same. This said, I wouldn't exactly say that these screenshots warrant the "claim" of there being a superior system. It's more or less to close to call.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:certainly related to the encoder chip as well. If you bypass it, the quality will be the same. This said, I wouldn't exactly say that these screenshots warrant the "claim" of there being a superior system. It's more or less to close to call.
Yeah this is why I mentioned that the term "better" might not be the most fitting term, "different" would probably be a more appropriate term.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

The number one thing I loathe about hobbyist groups is the deification of singular uncontrolled one vs. one comparisons. It's the antithesis of scientific research but it's so prevalent in this particular community.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Seraphic wrote:Does anyone know a version of Gameshark for PS1 that works well with the PS2? I have a legit V5 of the PS1 GameShark, but it does not seem to play nice with my Fat/Slim PS2.
There seem to be other versions out there. V2, V3, V4, Lite and V5. Can anyone confirm a working version? Want to be able to turn off random encounters again in Star Ocean. :(
Back in the day, when I actually used my GameShark, I didn't have any problems with a GS CDX v3.4 on my R39001 PS2 (One of the ones that came in the GT3 bundle).
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Seraphic wrote:
Xer Xian wrote:You could use popstarter as it lets you use cheats, but it's not the best way to play PS1 games. I'm reading that Gameshark lite works on PS2 but don't know if it's limited to only a few revisions or what.
My PS2 is modded, but playing PS1 games from USB or HDD seems like a real pain from what I understand.

I found different Gameshark versions online (including Lite). Just don't want to waste good discs by burning them and finding out they will not work on PS2.
One review for Lite on Amazon that said Lite worked on PS2. So I might try to burn that one or find a legit copy.

Just found this video online that uses GameShark. Unable to tell what version he is using. It looks V5, but that can't be right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGb2MPmxgog
Got the Star Ocean 2 working on my PS2 with no encounters cheat using GameShark V4 (V4 boots fine, V5 is a no go and did not try Lite).
Only issue was having to enter the game code manually as it was not part of the default list (30 entries :shock: ).
But after that, it works just like V5 did on my PS1. :D

Edit:
Might have spoke too soon. Code for new game I entered did not seem to save on next gameshark bootup.
Which is odd because it created a file on memory card. Might have to try Lite version. Those 30 entries are very time consuming. :?

Edit 2:
For a second I thought I needed a GameShark memory card. But it seems the issue was that when it saves codes to the memory card, it creates two 8KB saves to the card.
However, my memory card only had room for one of the two. Thus, it was not saved. Have to enter that 30 code string one more time, lol.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I think I just found an Electric Blue DS Phat with v7 firmware. When a DS game is taken out during Pictochat, the screen does not freeze or crash. The seller claims it was bought in 2006/2007. Can this be flashed to have brighter brightness, or was the DS Lite regulator chip only found in v5 firmware DS systems, and not v1, v2, v3, v4, v6 or v7?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

There's a Sony consumer CRT near me, model KD-32FS170.

Its an SD tv, but it contains an ATSC digital tuner... Any idea whether this tv will have lag on the analog inputs?
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

maxtherabbit wrote:There's a Sony consumer CRT near me, model KD-32FS170.

Its an SD tv, but it contains an ATSC digital tuner... Any idea whether this tv will have lag on the analog inputs?
No, the ATSC tuner has no relation to the analog inputs. It's just a bog standard sdtv that also accepts standard resolution dtv signals.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Question about modding a PS2 system.

To my knowledge (which might be outdated though) there is no mod(chip) for the PS2 to enables proper playback of NTSC PS1 titles on a PAL PS2 system. Is this still true ?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Fudoh wrote:Question about modding a PS2 system.

To my knowledge (which might be outdated though) there is no mod(chip) for the PS2 to enables proper playback of NTSC PS1 titles on a PAL PS2 system. Is this still true ?
I know there's a dual-frequency oscillator mod for the PS1; it might be possible to fit this to the fat PS2s for proper playback of alternate-region PS1 games.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The oscillator mod (I think) is to remedy smaller changes in playback frequency, but in case of a modded PAL PS2 I think the unit completely remains in 50Hz when booting NTSC PS1 titles....
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Fudoh wrote:The oscillator mod (I think) is to remedy smaller changes in playback frequency, but in case of a modded PAL PS2 I think the unit completely remains in 50Hz when booting NTSC PS1 titles....
Really? Does the inverse happen with PAL games on NTSC consoles? I don't have a PAL PS2, but I have a retail R39001 and an NTSC TEST PS2 (DTL-30101, I think? I can check when I get home), so I can test PAL on NTSC if that will help. Are there any specific games or booting methods I should test/use?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Does the inverse happen with PAL games on NTSC consoles?
really don't know. I can't remember when I last had a PS1 PAL title. But for NTSC PS1 games running on a modded PAL PS2 this has always been a problem.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Do all PAL games run at 50Hz on the Nintendo 64? Can PAL games run on North American or Japanese Nintendo 64s?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

N64 games can be hardcoded to only play at their regions speed/hz.
If the game is not hardcoded to do this it will play at the consoles native speed/hz.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Syntax wrote:N64 games can be hardcoded to only play at their regions speed/hz.
If the game is not hardcoded to do this it will play at the consoles native speed/hz.
Okay, I'm a bit confused. So PAL N64 games that are 50hz won't play on Jap/USA N64s? What N64 PAL games are 50hz only and what N64 PAL games can run at 60hz?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I've played 50hz hardcoded n64 pal games on a Jap n64 via everdrive.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Syntax wrote:I've played 50hz hardcoded n64 pal games on a Jap n64 via everdrive.
Awesome, thanks. In that case, will it display at 60hz from the 60hz Nintendo 64, or still 50hz?

I have a CRT that displays both 50hz and 60hz, so that's all good.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Fudoh wrote:To my knowledge (which might be outdated though) there is no mod(chip) for the PS2 to enables proper playback of NTSC PS1 titles on a PAL PS2 system. Is this still true ?
There's a tool available that apparently addresses exactly that (see here), but I'm dumb and don't understand how you're supposed to use it with actual discs. Also don't know if there's some modchip around which has this code implemented to work automatically. My PAL PS2 (with Matrix modchip) is useless with PS1 NTSC games..
Kez

Post by Kez »

GeneraLight wrote:Awesome, thanks. In that case, will it display at 60hz from the 60hz Nintendo 64, or still 50hz?
A forced-PAL game will run at 50hz even on an NTSC system.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Kez wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:Awesome, thanks. In that case, will it display at 60hz from the 60hz Nintendo 64, or still 50hz?
A forced-PAL game will run at 50hz even on an NTSC system.
Ah, I see. Thank you. Well in that case, you're probably better off playing USA or Japanese versions of N64 games since those all run faster at the proper 60hz.

Although, 50hz games make precise inputs for competitive play easier.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

GeneraLight wrote: Although, 50hz games make precise inputs for competitive play easier.
This is the first time I've ever seen someone say that besides my brother who plays Tetris very competitively on PAL NES.
He played on my 60hz NES for about 10 minutes before throwing the controller at me.