Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kitty666cats

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by kitty666cats »

Fudoh wrote:
will keep an eye out for a later-era Faroudja
I would say 2001 to 2006 is when the best SD processing was available in Faroudja (or re-branded) machines.
That’s good to know! Yeah, I meant stuff past the LD_00 era which is obviously far too early. Though their decoders from the 90s are awesome!
supernintendo64

Post by supernintendo64 »

Can any Extron owners help me out? I got a DSC 301 HD off eBay and I can't figure out how to configure the settings. When I got it and plugged it in and pressed Menu, it just says "Executive Mode 2: Enabled", which apparently disables the Menu and Enter buttons and the adjust knobs. So I look up how to disable it and hold Menu and Enter for two seconds, then it says "Executive Mode: Disabled". So I press "Menu" and, nothing. The OSD won't come up.

I try plugging it into my laptop via USB and command it via PuTTY but I just get an "Error 87: The parameter is incorrect.", even though I quadruple-checked my settings to make sure I had them correct (9600 baud, 1 stop bit, no parity, 8 data bits, no flow control). I can't download the official DataViewer software, they want me to create an Insider account. How do I adjust the settings? It's stuck stretching the image to widescreen. I made sure my TV wasn't set to Wide mode, but it says "Full 100%" meaning it's displaying exactly what it's being given.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a thread about the Extron and downloaded the PCS software. The OSD was disabled for some reason. I turned it back on.
Hazuki

Post by Hazuki »

I'm trying to get a RGB modded N64 and found a seller online selling this:

I don't know what kind of "RGB mod" this is exactly, though. Can anyone identify which one based on those pics? Does it look like it was done properly?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

that's a really unnecessarily complex "basic" RGB mod - as in it's one of the 64s that still had RGB available on the motherboard

depending on the price it might be worth picking up, you could replace with a voultar mod board later easily
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

what video recording devices do you guys have or recommend?

I have EZCAP 261 and when connecting it to OSSC then OBS I don't get good quality picture. I get noise which is not seen on my PC monitor, also jagginess in audio a bit.

I use OBS as they recommend, but the picture is not centered and so on...

any recommendations?
copy

Post by copy »

Does anyone think some of the NES and SNES schematics on Console5 are inaccurate?

Example, this NES one shows two 100uF capacitors after the output of the 7805. However, looking at pictures of the various AV power modules here and visually following the traces, it seems pretty clear that all of them actually have one 100uF capacitor before the 7805 input, and one after the output. Am I correct here?

For the SNES, there seem to be some minor differences between the multiple revision schematic and the individual section ones like for the power circuit. Such as the C81 cap being listed as 1uF in the former, but 0.1uF in the latter. Which one is correct?
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

hello

i need controller extension cable for PC Engine CoreGrafx 1, after searching on Amazon I found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WHXTQN6/

I highly prefer an Amazon shipper but can have other options.

please tell me if this is the correct choice, and if not kindly inform me on the correct one.

thanks
jd213

Post by jd213 »

VEGETA wrote:hello

i need controller extension cable for PC Engine CoreGrafx 1, after searching on Amazon I found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WHXTQN6/

please tell me if this is the correct choice, and if not kindly inform me on the correct one.

thanks
That looks right to me, but note that they probably won't work with 6-button controllers and you might have problems when used with a TurboTap (and whatever the PCE version is called).

Monoprice also used to make them, but I don't see them on their site anymore and they're not in stock on Amazon either.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

jd213 wrote:
VEGETA wrote:hello

thanks
That looks right to me, but note that they probably won't work with 6-button controllers and you might have problems when used with a TurboTap (and whatever the PCE version is called).

Monoprice also used to make them, but I don't see them on their site anymore and they're not in stock on Amazon either.
i have 6 button controller and interested in having multi tap too.

what could go wrong with the cable despite having the same pins?

what is the correct choice?
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Not sure why exactly, but I think something about the 6-button controller signal just doesn't work with extension cables or taps, I haven't done any real testing but here's a reddit thread that seems to match my limited experience: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcengine/comme ... _directly/

I wasn't able to get a ToToTek PlayStation to PCE controller working with a TurboTap either. Dunno if there's any solution that works with everything.

There's also this cable from Amazon Japan that should work as an extension cable (for 2-button controllers at least): https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B5%E3%8 ... 8BB8S?th=1
Hazuki

Post by Hazuki »

maxtherabbit wrote:that's a really unnecessarily complex "basic" RGB mod - as in it's one of the 64s that still had RGB available on the motherboard

depending on the price it might be worth picking up, you could replace with a voultar mod board later easily
The retrorgb site recommends either retrofixes or voultar's modding services. Is there any difference between the two? I'd like to know if one is preferable over another before sending the console.
copy

Post by copy »

Hazuki wrote:The retrorgb site recommends either retrofixes or voultar's modding services. Is there any difference between the two? I'd like to know if one is preferable over another before sending the console.
You can't really go wrong with either. I've had both mod my consoles and was equally pleased.
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

I was removing the power/AV module on my NES to recap it, but in the process of desoldering the pins, I accidentally desoldered an SMD component and misplaced it. Can anyone please open up their NES, remove the shield on the module, and use a multimeter to measure the component for me so I know what to replace it with? My power module is the Alps one with discrete diodes (alternate version). I looked at the schematic from Console5 and going by my measurements, it doesn't seem to line up with the one I have.

VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Hello

anyone tried this recording device: https://www.startech.com/en-eu/audio-vi ... mi-capture

it is a newer version than USB3HDCAP which people reported it having near perfect result but a little smooth... this newer device has new set of ICs which should give better results.

please help if anyone tried it.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's a bit misleading: they advertise it as being USB 3.2 Gen 1 which is essentially the same as plain old USB 3.0.

My experience is that you can't get 1080p60 without dropping frames in 4:4:4 RGB through USB3. If this OK for you and if you're willing to go with - I don't know - maybe 4:2:2 YUV instead, then this looks certainly alright. Really depends on your use case.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Fudoh wrote:It's a bit misleading: they advertise it as being USB 3.2 Gen 1 which is essentially the same as plain old USB 3.0.

My experience is that you can't get 1080p60 without dropping frames in 4:4:4 RGB through USB3. If this OK for you and if you're willing to go with - I don't know - maybe 4:2:2 YUV instead, then this looks certainly alright. Really depends on your use case.
what about their USB3HDCAP which is more expensive?

the problem is all youtube videos reviewing such devices increased my confusion, especially the game sack one. too many options and no big one.

what do you recommend for not-so-big budget?

the mentioned device uses this IC: https://www.ite.com.tw/en/product/view?mid=160 -> their previous products are using a chinese all-in-one chip which explains the smooth lower quality.

which is USB 3.1 gen 1 and it clearly says it supports rgb444. ITE is a reputable manufacturer so it is not likely that they are lying.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Does it support 1080p 60fps 4:4:4?

Actually, the real question here:
1. What are you trying to achieve?
2. What are the most important qualities for a solution?
3. What are your constraints?
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

SavagePencil wrote:Does it support 1080p 60fps 4:4:4?

Actually, the real question here:
1. What are you trying to achieve?
2. What are the most important qualities for a solution?
3. What are your constraints?
according to its description and chip's specs:

1- yes, 1920x1080p is the upper limit of RGB 444. for retro gaming this is more than enough. almost all people will be doing OSSC 480p or 720p.
2- most importantly is clear image with no distortion + compatibility with OBS. this chip uses USB video class which means no driver required and it works fine with anything.
3- money.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

it does support 1080p 4:4:4, but I REALLY doubt that you'll get a full 60fps using it. You will get a 1080p60 stream with duplicated frames instead with the true fps maxing out at about 45-50.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

You still haven't said what you want to do. I can deduce though, that it sounds like you want to do 1080p60 4:4:4 capture of footage in OBS. But why? Are you streaming? Are you doing analysis of video and require highest fidelity? Are you OK with it dropping frames?
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Fudoh wrote:it does support 1080p 4:4:4, but I REALLY doubt that you'll get a full 60fps using it. You will get a 1080p60 stream with duplicated frames instead with the true fps maxing out at about 45-50.
what makes you deduce this? did you try a similar product?
You still haven't said what you want to do. I can deduce though, that it sounds like you want to do 1080p60 4:4:4 capture of footage in OBS. But why? Are you streaming? Are you doing analysis of video and require highest fidelity? Are you OK with it dropping frames?
I run Thundertronics video blog and intend to record many footage for it instead of shooting the CRT. and maybe some comparison videos later on similar to those in mylifeingaming... but mainly to record stuff in high quality. dropping frames is something I don't accept. I mean 420 or 422 is a lot better than 444 with dropped frames.

how can we verify?

on a side note, I do have EZCAP 261 and it is very bad with OSSC. lots of noise which doesn't exist in original signal... and doesn't show the video in correct place (not in center).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yes, several. Magewell and Epiphan for example.

Depending on your use, it's not a problem though. For video you can record 4:2:2 all the way. Your uploads will be 4:2:0 anyway, so 4:2:2 still gives you enough room for editing. For taking snapshots you can record a second stream in 4:4:4 - here the actual fps won't matter. It's just still complicated if you want both at the same time. For that you usually have to use a thunderbolt connection (or an internal card).
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Get one of these. The PCI bus has a lot more bandwidth than what you can get out of USB 3.

https://www.datapath.co.uk/datapath-pro ... /visionav/
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

some (many? mostly oder?) datapath cards use a PCI-X to PCEe bridge chip. Those can exhibit severe compatibility issues with a number of mainboards. At least something to look into. Had the problem myself.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Fudoh wrote:
yes, several. Magewell and Epiphan for example.

Depending on your use, it's not a problem though. For video you can record 4:2:2 all the way. Your uploads will be 4:2:0 anyway, so 4:2:2 still gives you enough room for editing. For taking snapshots you can record a second stream in 4:4:4 - here the actual fps won't matter. It's just still complicated if you want both at the same time. For that you usually have to use a thunderbolt connection (or an internal card).
so these products do frame dropping at 444?

right now I don't have a desktop PC but rather just a 2017 laptop, I intend to buy a desktop PC in the end of the year hopefully. therefore I opted for USB3 type of device.

I purchased that EZCAP several years ago but never tested it thinking it should perform well, but surprisingly it didn't. huge amount of noise and bad quality for no reason at all.

then I found this new device I posted which has what it seems to be the best IC to do the USB video bridge, thus I thought it should perform. the other devices you tested are mostly using another chip, even older Startech ones use that Chinese IC which is inferior.

and since you mentioned it, can you really choose the subsampling of these devices? or you have to do it via OSSC or source device?
Get one of these. The PCI bus has a lot more bandwidth than what you can get out of USB 3.

I am not trying to record 4k60 or something... mostly just 1080p 60fps or so.

plus this is +1000$ which is beyond me by a long shot, the one I mentioned is about 200-250$.

since it is new, I hope someone gives it a chance.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Fudoh wrote:some (many? mostly oder?) datapath cards use a PCI-X to PCEe bridge chip. Those can exhibit severe compatibility issues with a number of mainboards. At least something to look into. Had the problem myself.
The VisionAV series is native PCIe.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

VEGETA wrote:

I am not trying to record 4k60 or something... mostly just 1080p 60fps or so.

plus this is +1000$ which is beyond me by a long shot, the one I mentioned is about 200-250$.

since it is new, I hope someone gives it a chance.
$150. I think I bought from this same seller. You may want to buy an audio breakout, too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/175383551650?h ... R_CMhsrZYA
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

VEGETA wrote:I am not trying to record 4k60 or something... mostly just 1080p 60fps or so.

You can get the Datapath Vision RGB-E1S for around $150 on ebay if you wait a bit, and it works nicely with the OSSC. Though since you're on a laptop right now I'd agree with going USB and recording in 1080p60 4:2:2 which surely you can find something that can handle that.

I know the setting for chroma encoding won't be on the OSSC, it always outputs 4:4:4. Should be a setting in your capture software, such as OBS -> capture device -> properties -> video format -> YUV2 or other compressed format.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The VisionAV series is native PCIe.
yes, but the often recommended RGB-E1S isn't.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I'll use this mini-thread as an opportunity to ask: I'm using a VisionAV/B card with an HDMI -> DVI adaptor. I have to use the separate analog RCA breakout board in order to get audio. The docs ( https://datapathdocuments.co.uk/wp-cont ... ide_EN.pdf ) say that I can get audio straight from the HDMI, but how? Do I need a special HDMI -> DVI adaptor? The one I have on there appears to be DVI-I dual link.