Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guile

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Guile »

kitty666cats wrote: I’d imagine audio isn’t a concern since your input is VGA… so this would probably do the trick:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Optoma-Scart-t ... 3593859321
That looks good, thanks for the link, I'll try that.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

hello

I live in a PAL country (Jordan), I've got some NTSC consoles available which I am going to buy such as sega genesis model 1... will it work on consumer tvs which are in our PAL territory? I plan to use rgb scart then convert it to component then feed it to the crt.

also, I've got an offer for a PAL super nintendo (same super famicom shell)... being PAL, will it run NTSC games via Everdrives\flash carts? I mean will it output ntsc and work with crts or i must get the pal version?

I do have a fat PS2 which is PAL of course but I run both ntsc and pal games perfectly fine with ossc and other scalers to my hdmi pc monitor and previously on an hdmi tv. however, my next step is crts so i have to know it it will work.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Generally if you're not doing any conversion, the console needs to match the TV. Back in the 00s and 90s, people would actually change the the oscillator crystal in their systems to convert one to another.

So if you're trying to run an NTSC console into a PAL CRT tv, you probably won't have a lot of luck.

If you can manage to find a pro monitor that accepts both signals, you can do whatever you want, but I don't know how difficult to come by those are in your part of the world.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Einzelherz wrote:Generally if you're not doing any conversion, the console needs to match the TV. Back in the 00s and 90s, people would actually change the the oscillator crystal in their systems to convert one to another.

So if you're trying to run an NTSC console into a PAL CRT tv, you probably won't have a lot of luck.

If you can manage to find a pro monitor that accepts both signals, you can do whatever you want, but I don't know how difficult to come by those are in your part of the world.
I am in PAL country, and eventually I need to get a consumer CRT to hook my systems to it. Most likely, I will use Component YPbPr since SCART may not come in the CRT. PVM don't exist here since they weren't popular, and local market of used stuff still not recovered after the pandemic.

My PS2 is PAL but has mostly NTSC games via OPL. Other systems are PC Engine Coregrafix from Japan, Dreamcast PAL version from UK, PS1 from here locally (= PAL), SEGA Genesis model 1 (HD graphics) which I don't know where it was from, still didn't get it. I am about to get Super Famicom (or the PAL SNES) from either locally or ebay... and Japanese Twin Famicom from Japan soon.

I know that component video is universal, not specific to PAL or NTSC. I won't do any internal mods of crystals in any way.

What will happen here? assuming I hook them up via Component, SCART RGB, or maybe some of them S-video as NTSC on my PAL CRTs.
Guile

Post by Guile »

kitty666cats wrote: I’d imagine audio isn’t a concern since your input is VGA… so this would probably do the trick:

I tried this adapter but it didn't go so well with the vga2ntsc. With 31khz input from the Dreamcast on the gbs-c I first got an unstable image that would bounce up and down a line or two. Then I tried the svideo out on the adapter with 15khz input and got a black and white image. I moved the connector around a little and got a washed out color image with a lot of noise.

I also tried it on the ossc and couldn't even get a signal. It's weird it looked like it got a signal for a half second on rgsb instead of rgbs. I tried it again on the gbs-c it was very unstable and showing only half of the image and breaking up.

Did I get a bad adapter or could there be an issue with the scart out on the vga2ntsc?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Guile wrote:

I tried this adapter but it didn't go so well with the vga2ntsc. With 31khz input from the Dreamcast on the gbs-c I first got an unstable image that would bounce up and down a line or two. Then I tried the svideo out on the adapter with 15khz input and got a black and white image. I moved the connector around a little and got a washed out color image with a lot of noise.

I also tried it on the ossc and couldn't even get a signal. It's weird it looked like it got a signal for a half second on rgsb instead of rgbs. I tried it again on the gbs-c it was very unstable and showing only half of the image and breaking up.

Did I get a bad adapter or could there be an issue with the scart out on the vga2ntsc?
You shouldn't be using this on the OSSC at all, SCART is supposed to be connected to source not destination. On a VGA2NTSC you already have a S-Video out connector...

You would be using VGA into the VGA2NTSC, then connect the Optoma dongle on the output of the VGA2NTSC, then a VGA cable from the dongle into the GBSC input. Also want to make sure you have a 100ohm resistor between sync and ground on the GBSC unit...

Or you could just forego this stuff/SCART & just use a Extron interface between the Dreamcast and GBSC.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I have a Neogeo CD that I think was region modded (not by me) to play in the US. I'm not exactly sure what was done since I bought it at a retro gaming store. Regardless, whenever I put in a game the power light comes on, the disc spins for a bit, the laser will move close to the spindle and I get the booting audio. Then there's no video and the disc stops spinning. I've checked the lockout lever and it's fully intact and operational. I cleaned the laser then moved it away from the spindle. When I turn it on, the laser moves just fine, so I assume the motor is working? This happens with purchased games and backups. I haven't cracked it open to adjust the pots because it was supposedly done last year when I bought it. Would playing around with those help me out, or do I need a new laser assembly?

EDIT: I fixed it, turns out there were settings in the OSSC I needed to change to get it to display properly:
H-PLL pre and post coast -> 3
Hsync tolerance -> 10us (or higher)
Last edited by ldeveraux on Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

VEGETA wrote:
Einzelherz wrote:Generally if you're not doing any conversion, the console needs to match the TV. Back in the 00s and 90s, people would actually change the the oscillator crystal in their systems to convert one to another.

I am in PAL country, and eventually I need to get a consumer CRT to hook my systems to it. Most likely, I will use Component YPbPr since SCART may not come in the CRT. PVM don't exist here since they weren't popular, and local market of used stuff still not recovered after the pandemic.

My PS2 is PAL but has mostly NTSC games via OPL. Other systems are PC Engine Coregrafix from Japan, Dreamcast PAL version from UK, PS1 from here locally (= PAL), SEGA Genesis model 1 (HD graphics) which I don't know where it was from, still didn't get it. I am about to get Super Famicom (or the PAL SNES) from either locally or ebay... and Japanese Twin Famicom from Japan soon.

I know that component video is universal, not specific to PAL or NTSC. I won't do any internal mods of crystals in any way.

What will happen here? assuming I hook them up via Component, SCART RGB, or maybe some of them S-video as NTSC on my PAL CRTs.
afaik, component will still need to know if it's NTSC (60 hz) or PAL (50hz). I suspect you'll have an out of sync screen if you hook them up without being matched.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I broke my dreamcast while playing around with some circuits, then to make it worse I destroyed sharp 07vz1h regulator. check pics: https://slow.pics/c/JOSrApga it is pal european model.

the main issue that prevented it from booting is there is 85 ohms between 3.3v and ground. even after this component and others are lifted from board , still 85 ohms.

anyone knows the reason? I only put 2200uF cap on the power supply rails (re-dream PSU) to test some noise ripple stuff. then it started outputting weird graphics glitches like this: https://slow.pics/c/6laLyvSt

So now I don't know how to repair it, but don't want to get a whole new dreamcast. any cheap solution, like getting a main VA1 PAL board or something?

thanks

EDIT: it now powers on completely with fan and so on, voltages are ok but there is no output picture. I measured voltages on caps and found the cap highlighted in picture to have 0v on its + side and about -0.5v on its negative side: https://slow.pics/c/PGsUaNuK

what is going on? could it be that that regulator supplies power to output video?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

delete
Last edited by ldeveraux on Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Does anyone know of a Sony DVD player that is region free, and does both HDMI and S-Video?
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

Odolwa wrote:Does anyone know of a Sony DVD player that is region free, and does both HDMI and S-Video?
A modded PS3? (I find something called Multiman in searches but don't know how it works.)
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

My PI 3's shipping date was just moved from March to October! I ordered it a month ago for a Midi PI hat project on Digikey.

Any idea where to get a PI 3 or 4 for under $50 (or preferribly under $40?) within a few months?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Issac Zachary wrote:My PI 3's shipping date was just moved from March to October! I ordered it a month ago for a Midi PI hat project on Digikey.

Any idea where to get a PI 3 or 4 for under $50 (or preferribly under $40?) within a few months?
I already gave you a link a month ago for an in stock raspberry pi 4 from pihut. They are still in stock and ready to ship.
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry ... 4052674622
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

ldeveraux wrote:
Issac Zachary wrote:My PI 3's shipping date was just moved from March to October! I ordered it a month ago for a Midi PI hat project on Digikey.

I already gave you a link a month ago for an in stock raspberry pi 4 from pihut. They are still in stock and ready to ship.
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry ... 4052674622
Thank you. I must have not paid that much attention after seeing the price. But at about $57 USD, ($65.5 shipped, or $73 if I want tracking) that's about best option that can be found.

I guess I'll go ahead and get one from there.

Thanks again!

Edit: Ordered!
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Issac Zachary wrote:
Odolwa wrote:Does anyone know of a Sony DVD player that is region free, and does both HDMI and S-Video?
A modded PS3? (I find something called Multiman in searches but don't know how it works.)
Any other options?
yoZe

Post by yoZe »

Seriously ?!?
Spoiler
It's been several weeks that I go every day on voultar's website to see if the rgb bypass 1chip mod is in stock and now that it is, the shipments are limited?
Does anyone know a way to get around this shipping problem?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

yoZe wrote:Seriously ?!?
It's been several weeks that I go every day on voultar's website to see if the rgb bypass 1chip mod is in stock and now that it is, the shipments are limited?
There must be some third party modder who will install and ship to you? Voltair is not know for breaking his own rules in the name of customer service, so I wouldn't try getting into it in order to change his mind.

Other option is to find someone you know or trust to buy it and ship it to you, of course. Good luck.
yoZe

Post by yoZe »

I found a website that does the intermediary. I get my order delivered to an address in Florida and they ship it back to me in France.
But it cost me 20€ more...
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

yoZe wrote:I found a website that does the intermediary. I get my order delivered to an address in Florida and they ship it back to me in France.
But it cost me 20€ more...
Of course a company like that is in Florida...
yoZe

Post by yoZe »

....Yes and ?
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I don't think Voultar has ever offered intl shipping, I've wanted to order from him in the past myself. It's unfortunate but understandable, as intl shipping can be a big headache for small businesses.
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Is there any such thing as a "Scart cap/protector" for when not in use? Something that just covers the connector, only thing right now is to just buy something like this and plug them in lol

Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

Odolwa wrote:
Issac Zachary wrote:
Any other options?
Sorry. But that was all I could come up with.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

yoZe wrote:Seriously ?!?
Spoiler
Are you fixated on ordering the mod from Voultar? He's not cheap. I believe borti4938 designed the original board and then TzorriMahm arguably improved it. Not sure where Voultar's board fits in the history but the mod itself is simple and the first two designs are opened sourced so you can order the PCB from any printer you want. Maybe not everyone takes EAGLE files of borti4938 but they will take Tzorrimahm's Gerber files.

PCB files
https://github.com/borti4938/SNES_RGB_Bypass
https://github.com/TzorriMahm/SNES_RGB_Bypass_Amp

Selling borti's kit assembled
https://videogameperfection.com/product ... -4-1b-vgp/
https://www.oldskoolconsoles.com/produc ... mp-mod-kit

Selling TzorriMahm's kit assembled
https://www.retroupgrades.co.uk/product/snes-rgb
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Datapath VisionRGB-E1S owners or streamers in general- how much lag does the OBS preview window add? Is the Datapath Vision window preview any faster?

I need to stream OSSC video + audio to a friend with as little latency as possible. Parsec works great for connecting between each other, but what's the best option for actually displaying what my capture card is outputting?

EDIT: A side-by-side shows OBS as slower, though having both OBS and Vision open at the same time may be affecting the bandwidth available or something.

Vision has seemingly no fullscreen option though, so that's disappointing... Are there any other options?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

bobrocks95 wrote:Datapath VisionRGB-E1S owners or streamers in general- how much lag does the OBS preview window add? Is the Datapath Vision window preview any faster?

I need to stream OSSC video + audio to a friend with as little latency as possible. Parsec works great for connecting between each other, but what's the best option for actually displaying what my capture card is outputting?

EDIT: A side-by-side shows OBS as slower, though having both OBS and Vision open at the same time may be affecting the bandwidth available or something.

Vision has seemingly no fullscreen option though, so that's disappointing... Are there any other options?
There's really no getting around the latency using the Datapath card and the computer OS. I'd "split" the signal after the scaler, feed the capture card, and connect the second wire to my display. Get the stream going on the PC and change inputs (at the display) to get the direct feed from the scaler for gameplay.
We apologise for the inconvenience
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

orange808 wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Datapath VisionRGB-E1S owners or streamers in general- how much lag does the OBS preview window add? Is the Datapath Vision window preview any faster?

There's really no getting around the latency using the Datapath card and the computer OS. I'd "split" the signal after the scaler, feed the capture card, and connect the second wire to my display. Get the stream going on the PC and change inputs (at the display) to get the direct feed from the scaler for gameplay.
Anything notably faster than a Datapath or is it just kind of inherent when you're using a capture card with OS overhead?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

bobrocks95 wrote: Anything notably faster than a Datapath or is it just kind of inherent when you're using a capture card with OS overhead?
Yes, it's the OS and Windows is particularly challenging. There are plenty of capture cards out there with built-in passthrough abilities, but I'm not sure how they handle odd retro console and arcade PCB signals. Unless AMD or nVidia start offering capture features on their cards (something they probably won't do because of industry media piracy concerns from Sony, Disney, and Netflix), we probably won't get around the latency.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Do BNC and RF switches have the same connectors? Are BNC cables just a bunch of RF cables combined?