shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:56 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:24 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
Quote:
I would advise to first try a VSC 700 and turn on the flicker filter.

Unfortunately the VSC 700 is limited to RGB input signals. I think the older VSC 900 was the only one of Extron scan converters that also accepted component instead of RGB.

Oops. Good catch. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:38 pm 

The Corio2 and iScan HD+ also average lines.

I remember someone on the forum tried having the iScan HD+ deinterlace 480i and output a downscaled 240p image. I don't remember if I tried that.

YMMV on 480i output scan converters. I have owned quite a few at this point and the Extron VSC units are my favorite by far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:43 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
Quote:
I would advise to first try a VSC 700 and turn on the flicker filter.

Unfortunately the VSC 700 is limited to RGB input signals. I think the older VSC 900 was the only one of Extron scan converters that also accepted component instead of RGB.

Oops. Good catch. :mrgreen:

No problem. :)

The VSC 300/900 and VSC 500/700 units handle up to 1080p without issues, so most people can probably chain it after the OSSC using a HDMI distribution amp and a DAC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:18 pm 

Does anyone know about the screen quality of the 3DS XL and 2DS XL?

I'm planning to replay some DS games, but I need a bigger screen because my eyes suck and I need a slightly bigger screen to play them on than the original.

I see that there are 3 choices, the first 3DS XL, the New 3DS XL, and the New 2DS XL.

Is there any difference between the quality of the the image on the screens?

I won't be playing anything newer than DS carts, so the 3D function is irrelevant to me; I'm solely interested in what the best image quality is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:50 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
I'm planning to replay some DS games, but I need a bigger screen because my eyes suck and I need a slightly bigger screen to play them on than the original.

Have you considered a DSi XL? Its screens are a tiny bit larger than the lower screen of a 3DS XL and it has the correct resolution for DS games, so you don't need to decide between blurry scaling or a pixel-exact smaller image.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:34 pm 

Unseen wrote:
vol.2 wrote:

Have you considered a DSi XL? Its screens are a tiny bit larger than the lower screen of a 3DS XL and it has the correct resolution for DS games, so you don't need to decide between blurry scaling or a pixel-exact smaller image.

Okay, no, I didn't think about that one. For some reason I missed it's existence.

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:56 pm 

The 3DS in 2D mode and New 2DS XL also kind of have a scanline effect due to the 800x240 display resolution with rectangular pixels. It's not a thing on the standard 2DS, but then you're losing screen size.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:48 pm 

Unseen wrote:
vol.2 wrote:

I can second this. DSi XL is the luxurious way to play original DS (and emulated GBA).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:33 am 

Third it.

Regular DSi is a great alternative. It actually looks sharper and even a bit brighter due to the smaller screen/higher pixel density. And it's of course lighter to hold during extended play.

But an XL is still my go to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:40 am 

Great. Thanks for the input everyone. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:53 am 

Does anyone have any recommended PS1 controllers for shmups? I'm picking up a lot of imports in some Yahoo Japan auctions soon and finally getting my PSOne chipped and no way in hell am I going to use that Dualshock D-Pad. It already hurt my thumb as a kid playing Crash Bandicoot...

Floating Saturn-style preferred but I think anything would be an improvement. Maybe there's a Saturn to PS1 adapter too (I see a lot the other way around. Gross.)?

EDIT: Brooke converter + Retro-bit Saturn pad? Would be more inclined if my 2.4GHz Retro-Bit didn't have awful battery life like many people have reported...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:41 pm 

bobrocks95 wrote:
Does anyone have any recommended PS1 controllers for shmups? I'm picking up a lot of imports in some Yahoo Japan auctions soon and finally getting my PSOne chipped and no way in hell am I going to use that Dualshock D-Pad. It already hurt my thumb as a kid playing Crash Bandicoot...

Floating Saturn-style preferred but I think anything would be an improvement. Maybe there's a Saturn to PS1 adapter too (I see a lot the other way around. Gross.)?

EDIT: Brooke converter + Retro-bit Saturn pad? Would be more inclined if my 2.4GHz Retro-Bit didn't have awful battery life like many people have reported...

Stick-wise, I don't think you can do much better than the Namco Arcade Stick. They're sturdy and comfortable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:05 pm 

Hello. I need a all-regional-RF to AV converter with 0-1 frame lag. What it can be?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:27 pm 

multi format RF decoders are rare. At least I've never seen one. Make sense since you'll hardly find a location that did broadcast in PAL and NTSC at the same time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:22 pm 

VSC 500/700 Minimum horizontal frequency - 31 kHz?
Is 480i - 15kHz?
How does the VSC 500/700 output a 480i signal?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:41 pm 

nolepe wrote:
VSC 500/700 Minimum horizontal frequency - 31 kHz?
Is 480i - 15kHz?
How does the VSC 500/700 output a 480i signal?

That's for the input. It outputs at 15kHz, 480i. It only has that one output mode, tweakable with the filters.

Think about it like this; the VSC 500/700's main purpose in life was to allow business people to connect their laptop computers to conference room teleconference monitors that had not been upgraded to display higher resolution signals.

It accepts computer monitor signals up to 1920x1200 and outputs everything as NTSC or PAL interlaced video. It doesn't do 240p because that would be terrible resolution for 1920x1200, so why bother?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:43 pm 

I picked up a cool little Zenith TV today, but I had a quick question regarding it. The screen is a bit high up, so I was looking on the board for a VPOS adjustment, but I didn't see anything except the VSize. I uploaded the Service Manual here. If someone with more knowledge doesn't mind looking I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:53 pm 

nakedarthur wrote:
I picked up a cool little Zenith TV today, but I had a quick question regarding it. The screen is a bit high up, so I was looking on the board for a VPOS adjustment, but I didn't see anything except the VSize.

You are correct. It doesn't have a VPOS. It's a cheaper set and they didn't give you the option.

You probably have dried out capacitors in the Vertical output area, but it probably won't ever look perfectly centered. They just expected it to be sort of roughly centered in the factory and then overscanned to fill the screen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:02 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
nakedarthur wrote:
I picked up a cool little Zenith TV today, but I had a quick question regarding it. The screen is a bit high up, so I was looking on the board for a VPOS adjustment, but I didn't see anything except the VSize.

You are correct. It doesn't have a VPOS. It's a cheaper set and they didn't give you the option.

You probably have dried out capacitors in the Vertical output area, but it probably won't ever look perfectly centered. They just expected it to be sort of roughly centered in the factory and then overscanned to fill the screen.

As I feared, thanks for confirming! Maybe that will be a little weekend project then :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:02 pm 

Is there any way to disable the bilinear filter most games on the original Xbox have at 480p? (Not to be confused with the flicker filter at 480i)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:35 am 

What is the difference between Extron ADA and DA?
Does the DA component support 480i / 480p? (written only "HDTV component")

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:20 pm 

Trying again:

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Is Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters' hall-effect joystick analog? If it isn't, what's the difference with a regular stick? Can the game be played with a regular stick?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:06 am 

What is the difference between LM1881 and Sync Strike?
LM1881 output - V and H+V sync, price $ 0.5
Sync Strike output - H and V sync, price $ 37
$ 36 - price for H sync and SCART and VGA connectors?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:44 am 

nolepe wrote:
What is the difference between LM1881 and Sync Strike?
LM1881 output - V and H+V sync, price $ 0.5
Sync Strike output - H and V sync, price $ 37
$ 36 - price for H sync and SCART and VGA connectors?

...cost of parts, assembly, has optional PSU and also optional screw terminals.

An LM1881 is a chip and not a assembled videogame converter.

EDIT: also, Sync Strike does not have “clean” H sync, it has an LM1881 so it’s “Csync”/composite sync/H+V on pin 13 of the DE-15 output. SyncSlayer 2 is the only box that’s got the option for direct SCART to 15kHz RGBHV, a Sync Strike would need to be chained with an Extron RGB interface for full-on RGBHV (one of the interfaces that has separate BNC jacks for H and CS)

Last edited by kitty666cats on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:50 pm 

nolepe wrote:
Hello. I need a all-regional-RF to AV converter with 0-1 frame lag. What it can be?

Extron AVT 100? That converts RF/Coax to Composite w/ audio. That might work – if by "AV converter" you mean Composite and RCA's for audio of course. Don't know if you also mean for it to convert like PAL to NTSC which I don't think it would do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:32 pm 

Quote:
Extron AVT 100

as with all demodulators: there are two separate versions, one for NTSC, one for PAL signals.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:11 pm 

nolepe wrote:

I mean, if you aren't a stickler about quality, just get a VHS player cheap if not for free and convert RF to Composite with it. Fancy VHS players exist that accept PAL, SECAM and NTSC but seem extremely expensive. Get separate PAL and NTSC players I suppose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV1iOjYcfvE

I didn't see propagation delay or any time values listed in Extron 100 or 200HD datasheets but that doesn't guarantee they are lagless.

I was in a thread about modding RF television to take Composite that used this guide: https://hackaday.io/project/168426-portable-crt-tv-with-retropiekodi-combo/log/170979-adding-composite-input
I don't read Chinese but only times listed are for sync timing that we aren't concerned with. Author mentioned needing to adjust VHOLD from injected Composite. I interpret to mean injected video comes earlier that CRT expects due to no processing. Non-modded device won't have this issue so lagless for Extron devices and modulators in general seems correct, or worst case correctable with vertical hold adjustment.

Between the Extron AVT 100 and AVT200HD, the HD somewhat amusingly converts to all analog outputs and HD. The 200HD has significantly superior audio quality if that matters to you.

Other options, I see a few devices online running $70-85 new that are specific to NTSC or PAL.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:17 am 

Can anyone recommend a steering wheel controller for the PC that isn't super expensive and has good basic functionality?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:57 am 

For anyone out there who has an Ibara PCB, are Button A and Start tied together? I'm trying to track down a possible issue where my start button is triggering A as well (but not vice versa)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:23 pm 

I know a 470 ohm resistor on the sync line is recommended to attenuate TTL Sync going into the OSSC, but I feel like I read somewhere a 330 ohm was used and the result was still a voltage in the 75ohm range.

Can anyone confirm? I seem to only have 330s around at the moment.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275  Next