shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 1:21 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 252, 253, 254, 255, 256
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:14 pm 

thchardcore wrote:
Sorry I wasn't clearer. I am using the one nmalinoski linked to - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O55U8K/

I think it cost me a whopping $13 two years ago, but perhaps this is the inflationary effect of the fed's current helicopter money. My only complaint is the power cord for it is like 2 feet long. Assholes.

Ok, yeah. So, I ordered that one, and they said they wanted me to cancel the order because of covid, or expect it to take 2 months to ship. So I cancelled it because that sounded more like they weren't sure about shipping at all.

I was looking into that other portta device that appears to sold through some US based ebay people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:35 pm 

Maybe try just ordering direct? Btw, maybe it's just me, but what a fantastic name for a company.

https://www.port-ta.com/us/porttar-hdmi ... erter.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:38 pm 

thchardcore wrote:
Maybe try just ordering direct? Btw, maybe it's just me, but what a fantastic name for a company.

https://www.port-ta.com/us/porttar-hdmi ... erter.html

Yeah, I like the name as well. The amazon storefront is basically just the company selling through amazon, so I suspect that the response and the situation will be the same, but I'll try to email their US rep and see what happens. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:21 am 

Do you want my tendak converter? I won't ever use it and everyone swears it is the go to. Maybe it is just my setup since I have everything running though an Extron for center controls before it hits the displays.

Send me a PM with your address and it's yours.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:49 pm 

Hello quick question,

Living in the uk .

When it comes to playing playstation 1 games .

Will I be able to get full screen on pal games with a pal console ?

Or will I need a console that can play NTSC usa games with a csync mod to enjoy games games full screen?

Had a chipped ps1 back in the day and I cannot remember how it displayed games.

Cheers

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:39 pm 

PAL PSX will autoswitch to 60hz if you run an NTSC game (with a modchip or whatever). The frequency will be slightly off-spec due to differences in the PAL crystal oscillator but should still work fine in most scenarios and be 240p.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:51 am 

Thank you so much I appreciate the knowledge!

Time to track down vagrant story and Vandal hearts 1 and 2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:16 am 

I'm wondering how well do cross scanlines compare between Framemiester and OSSC once advanced settings are in place?

The Faroudja I tested this awhile back before the feature was added is able to pretty accurately do this on some games, but I only used it primarily for s-video as the RGB input isn't working for some reason.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:35 pm 

Anyone know where I can get a quality male to female S-video cable? My Sony CRT has an S-video input in the back which is not accessible without having to rotate the TV every time so I'd like to have something that I can just run to the front to plug my consoles into. I suppose a switcher would work but that would require an additional S-video cable. I'm just looking for an inexpensive solution.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:05 pm 

GojiFan90 wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a quality male to female S-video cable? My Sony CRT has an S-video input in the back which is not accessible without having to rotate the TV every time so I'd like to have something that I can just run to the front to plug my consoles into. I suppose a switcher would work but that would require an additional S-video cable. I'm just looking for an inexpensive solution.

My solution for my similar situation a few years back with connecting S-Video sources to a Kramer RGB decoder involved a male-to-male cable and a female-to-female coupler; if you continue to have trouble finding an S-Video extension cable, try the regular cable and a coupler.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:44 am 

nmalinoski wrote:
My solution for my similar situation a few years back with connecting S-Video sources to a Kramer RGB decoder involved a male-to-male cable and a female-to-female coupler; if you continue to have trouble finding an S-Video extension cable, try the regular cable and a coupler.

Wow, that's smart--it's definitely easier to find a good quality male to male s-vid cable and a coupler. Thanks for the tip!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:27 pm 

Any recommendations for a bluray player? I want the cheapest reliable player that only has to do 1080p.

I have literally never bought a bluray player before as I have a PC with one that works fine, but I have a situation now where one could make sense. I've seen the available models from sony and the usual suspects, but they all have really mixed reviews with lots of people claiming near-doas and poor quality. It almost seems as though one has to buy a more expensive model just to get any amount of decent service from it.

Any opinions or recommendations?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:25 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
Any recommendations for a bluray player? I want the cheapest reliable player that only has to do 1080p.

I have literally never bought a bluray player before as I have a PC with one that works fine, but I have a situation now where one could make sense. I've seen the available models from sony and the usual suspects, but they all have really mixed reviews with lots of people claiming near-doas and poor quality. It almost seems as though one has to buy a more expensive model just to get any amount of decent service from it.

Any opinions or recommendations?

I'd say PS4 Slim. The interface is straightforward; you can get nice, responsive media remotes; and the software should still be maintained for a number of years into the PS5's lifespan. PS3 would work as well, but it's a bit long in the tooth, and it's probably difficult to find good, new examples (and you probably don't want a top-loading player).

The Xbox One will also play Blu-rays, but Microsoft's Blu-ray app has been clunky and garbage in my experience (Had trouble loading DVDs).

I generally don't like standalone players, because they're not usually supported for very long, and they tend to not be as versatile as the aforementioned consoles.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:28 am 

nmalinoski wrote:
I'd say PS4 Slim.

Interesting. That's a tempting idea. I don't have any system newer than a PS2 and a Wii. It would be fun, but I'm not 100% sure I can handle the added time-suck that a PS4 would create for me at the moment. I already have a fairly large amount of time committed to retrogaming and general PC gaming. :roll:

My hope is that I can find a bluray player that works okay and won't need any updates.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:49 pm 

Does the JVC X'Eye have the best RGB and audio quality of any Genesis model? Would it still have the best RGB and audio even with the new advent of the Triple Bypass mod?

https://medium.com/rgb-inside/comparing ... d3703270ba

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:03 pm 

In my limited experience with NA models, Genesis RGB output is so good (outside of blue jailbars, which can often be removed easily) that ''hunting for revision with best RGB'' is a non-issue. Just about any Genesis model 1 or 2 seem to give a great picture. I mean, we're not even CLOSE to a 2-chip SNES situation here.

I know that personally, I would not obssess over it for that console.

But it is true that I'm not as obsessed as other people regarding perfect RGB signal (but the 2-chip SNES really annoy me, even the ''best'' ones)

Regarding his claims for ''best audio on X'Eye'' : I haven't heard that console variant myself, but heard other people's console revisions shootout and while it sounded very clean, it wasn't the best sounding to my ear. So I'm a bit skeptical.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:30 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
In my limited experience with NA models, Genesis RGB output is so good (outside of blue jailbars, which can often be removed easily) that ''hunting for revision with best RGB'' is a non-issue. Just about any Genesis model 1 or 2 seem to give a great picture. I mean, we're not even CLOSE to a 2-chip SNES situation here.

I know that personally, I would not obssess over it for that console.

But it is true that I'm not as obsessed as other people regarding perfect RGB signal (but the 2-chip SNES really annoy me, even the ''best'' ones)

Regarding his claims for ''best audio on X'Eye'' : I haven't heard that console variant myself, but heard other people's console revisions shootout and while it sounded very clean, it wasn't the best sounding to my ear. So I'm a bit skeptical.

I agree with this, audio quality is a far more important concern for megadrive/genesis consoles.

I have a VA1 JP Megadrive that had pretty bad jailbars but simply cutting the composite trace cleaned it up enough that they aren’t visible at normal viewing distance. With 2 resistors changed to correct the overdriven headphone circuit it sounds absolutely glorious. Far better than my triple bypassed MD2 or my Mega SG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:09 am 

I'm no programmer and don't know if this is possible but I'm always wondering. With all those old Widescreen CRT's out there for cheap or free. Almost all of these CRT's have a good tube but have bad picture processing doing crap like 100Hz. Why is nobody developing a junglechip FPGA clone bypassing the original junglechip. Shouldn't this give us the ability to get near PVM/BVM Widescreen CRT's for cheap? Shouldn't bypassing the original picture processing fix the 100Hz, inputlag and other picture quality issues?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 252, 253, 254, 255, 256