Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RottenToTheGore

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Have a Kuro DC on the way and was reading about how 240p/480i may be better suited for input 1 (scart) on the OSSC. Using my crosspoint, is there any issue using different outputs depending on if I'm using it for 240p/480i or 480p? Basically it would be like this...

Input: Dreamcast>VGA2BNC>Crosspoint
Output 1: Crosspoint>BNC2SCART>OSSC Input 1 (for 240p/480i)
Output 2: Crosspoint>BNC2VGA>OSSC Input 3 (for 480p)

Also, can a VGA to BNC cable be used in both directions or does it need to be wired differently?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

RottenToTheGore wrote:Have a Kuro DC on the way and was reading about how 240p/480i may be better suited for input 1 (scart) on the OSSC. Using my crosspoint, is there any issue using different outputs depending on if I'm using it for 240p/480i or 480p? Basically it would be like this...

Input: Dreamcast>VGA2BNC>Crosspoint
Output 1: Crosspoint>BNC2SCART>OSSC Input 1 (for 240p/480i)
Output 2: Crosspoint>BNC2VGA>OSSC Input 3 (for 480p)
There's a few things to unpack here. First, my understanding is that all of the video modes from the Dreamcast are better suited to AV1/SCART on the OSSC, because AV1 has low-pass filtering that AV3/DE-15/VGA doesn't, and the DTV 480p setting that's needed to show the Dreamcast output at the correct aspect ratio is enabled by default on AV1 and AV2, whereas it's disabled on AV3. That said, it's not absolutely necessary to use AV1 over AV3 for the Dreamcast, and you probably won't notice a difference.

Secondly, or one-and-a-half...ly[?], there's really no need to split the output and route into separate inputs on the OSSC; you should just run either the VGA directly into AV3 (and configure DTV 480p for AV3), or get a VGA->SCART adapter (and a stereo RCA cable) so you can use your Kuro on AV1 without having to resell it and buy a Toro and a SCART cable instead.

Lastly, if you're using a CrossPoint, you need to keep in mind that it always outputs composite sync and separate sync signals at 5V TTL, and pretty much all consumer-grade SCART hardware requires a 0.7V 75Ohm composite sync signal; so running the sync output from the CrossPoint directly to, say, a SCART switch or AV1 on the OSSC, without attenuating the signal, can damage your SCART equipment.
RottenToTheGore wrote:Also, can a VGA to BNC cable be used in both directions or does it need to be wired differently?
VGA<->BNC cables are not directional; really it's only SCART that's directional.
RottenToTheGore

nmalinoski wrote: There's a few things to unpack here. First, my understanding is that all of the video modes from the Dreamcast are better suited to AV1/SCART on the OSSC, because AV1 has low-pass filtering that AV3/DE-15/VGA doesn't, and the DTV 480p setting that's needed to show the Dreamcast output at the correct aspect ratio is enabled by default on AV1 and AV2, whereas it's disabled on AV3. That said, it's not absolutely necessary to use AV1 over AV3 for the Dreamcast, and you probably won't notice a difference.

Secondly, or one-and-a-half...ly[?], there's really no need to split the output and route into separate inputs on the OSSC; you should just run either the VGA directly into AV3 (and configure DTV 480p for AV3), or get a VGA->SCART adapter (and a stereo RCA cable) so you can use your Kuro on AV1 without having to resell it and buy a Toro and a SCART cable instead.

Lastly, if you're using a CrossPoint, you need to keep in mind that it always outputs composite sync and separate sync signals at 5V TTL, and pretty much all consumer-grade SCART hardware requires a 0.7V 75Ohm composite sync signal; so running the sync output from the CrossPoint directly to, say, a SCART switch or AV1 on the OSSC, without attenuating the signal, can damage your SCART equipment.
Thanks for all the info! Fortunately because I'm using a crosspoint and have plenty of outputs, I'll have 3 of them going to the OSSC anyways for each input. So it's not so much as splitting it, but just choosing which input on the OSSC to send it to.

But if the Kuro is set to 31khz for 480p, is that something AV1 can accept? I know it takes RGBs and RGsB, but wouldn't the dreamcast be outputting something like RGBHV? I have an RXI 201 I could use to process that to RGBs if needed, I'll just have to look into how to have it incorporated into my setup.

Thanks for the warning about the TTL sync, I made sure to add the proper resistor when making my BNC>Scart cable so I'm good to go there.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

RottenToTheGore wrote:Thanks for all the info! Fortunately because I'm using a crosspoint and have plenty of outputs, I'll have 3 of them going to the OSSC anyways for each input. So it's not so much as splitting it, but just choosing which input on the OSSC to send it to.

But if the Kuro is set to 31khz for 480p, is that something AV1 can accept? I know it takes RGBs and RGsB, but wouldn't the dreamcast be outputting something like RGBHV? I have an RXI 201 I could use to process that to RGBs if needed, I'll just have to look into how to have it incorporated into my setup.

Thanks for the warning about the TTL sync, I made sure to add the proper resistor when making my BNC>Scart cable so I'm good to go there.
Yes, sorry, you're right; I mistakenly thought that the Kuro had the same RGBS/RGBHV output toggle that the Toro has, and it doesn't.

AV1 can definitely accept 480p, but not RGBHV; so, no, you won't be able to run the Kuro into AV1 on the OSSC to get 480p; not without running it through a sync combiner or RGB interface, and then I would think you'd just run everything through AV1 at that point. The other things I said still stand; you'll still be able to run the Kuro into AV3, enable 480p DTV for AV3, and you probably won't be able to tell the difference between using AV3 or AV1.

While you can use the CrossPoint to split the output from the Toro to AV3 and AV1 on the OSSC, I don't think it's necessary, and I don't think you'll gain anything by doing so (and you'll have to change inputs on the OSSC regardless). If you still want use 480p content on AV3 and 480i/240p on AV1, you can use a simple 5x BNC to VGA cable to connect AV3, and you said you already have an attenuated SCART adapter to connect AV1.
RottenToTheGore

Thanks again, I figure I wouldn't notice much of a difference but I was still curious.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Does anyone know the most reliable and long lasting/well built version of the fat Japanese PS2?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

andykara2003 wrote:Does anyone know the most reliable and long lasting/well built version of the fat Japanese PS2?
I believe that would be the 50000 series; however, this version had some changes to earlier models, like adding an IR receiver and dropping the IEEE 1394 port. Personally, I'm happy with my 39001 and DTL-30101, although I may decide to frankenstein in the quieter fan from the 50000.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

nmalinoski wrote:
andykara2003 wrote:Does anyone know the most reliable and long lasting/well built version of the fat Japanese PS2?
I believe that would be the 50000 series; however, this version had some changes to earlier models, like adding an IR receiver and dropping the IEEE 1394 port. Personally, I'm happy with my 39001 and DTL-30101, although I may decide to frankenstein in the quieter fan from the 50000.
It doesn't fit very well, you have to shave the top of the fan to close the case.
Worthwhile mod though, so much quieter. I haven't had a chance to test it in the hotter months.
And it makes the 5000 sound like a jet engine when you put the 3000 fan in it lol.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

While we're on the subject, can anything be done to an original/launch/phat PS3? That things REALLY does sound like a jet engine going off when the fans kick in. I barely use it (bought it used), but it always makes me think it's going to blow-up any minute from overheating or something.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:While we're on the subject, can anything be done to an original/launch/phat PS3? That things REALLY does sound like a jet engine going off when the fans kick in. I barely use it (bought it used), but it always makes me think it's going to blow-up any minute from overheating or something.
Wireless HDMI from the next room? :P
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Also on that subject,and while other consoles suffer much worse, has anyone fanmodded a Gamecube? Takes me out of the moment sometimes when playing with Gameboy Player to hear that whirl. I imagine the hardware barely needs cooling when ”only” doing GBPlayer anyway?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Game Boy Interface can max out both the GPU and CPU depending on settings and features used. Also, a GameCube with a broken fan died at the last Summer Games Done Quick while using the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:While we're on the subject, can anything be done to an original/launch/phat PS3? That things REALLY does sound like a jet engine going off when the fans kick in. I barely use it (bought it used), but it always makes me think it's going to blow-up any minute from overheating or something.
Wireless HDMI from the next room? :P
Seriously. I feel like it needs to go in a concrete bunker in case it explodes...
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

I've been told 226 Apu and 19 blade fan can make a difference, though some report it doesn't.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Anyone have an Extron DA6 RGBHV? The tech specs call out:

https://www.extron.com/product/da6rgbhv
Horizontal frequency 15 kHz to 180 kHz
Vertical frequency 15 Hz to 170 Hz

and yet feeding it 15 kHz out to a PVM-14L5 results in "no sync" and a rolling picture.

Tried the DIP switches for adjusting RGB gain and peaking, as well as for selecting AC or DC coupling. No difference in any combination.

Do I have a defective unit, or am I messing this up somehow? Opened it up--no internal jumpers. No swelling caps.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

HDgaming42 wrote: I've been told 226 Apu and 19 blade fan can make a difference, though some report it doesn't.
Thanks - that gives me some good keywords to try to find out more about this.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Extrems wrote:Game Boy Interface can max out both the GPU and CPU depending on settings and features used. Also, a GameCube with a broken fan died at the last Summer Games Done Quick while using the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc.
Thanks for the info. I suppose I’ll refrain from attempting any advanced fan mod anytime soon then... How about a direct swap with a newer, possibly more efficient or quiter fan though, anyone had any luck with that?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Has anyone else noticed that the Videogame Perfection site is down? I just sent BuckoA51 a PM.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

nmalinoski wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the Videogame Perfection site is down? I just sent BuckoA51 a PM.
Yeah it's down for me as well.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Lawfer wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the Videogame Perfection site is down? I just sent BuckoA51 a PM.
Yeah it's down for me as well.
He's aware and it's being addressed. :)
Star1

Post by Star1 »

https://flake.tweakblogs.net/blog/10754 ... -3-cooling
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

Could always install custom firmware and then control the fan speed manually. With Webman mod you can remotely monitor your temperature of the RSX and CPU temperature through a web interface and even control the fan speed duty cycle.

My fan speed on my fat ps3 never went past 26% (most likely due to the fact sony has a pretty conservative fan duty cycle) + I replaced the thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5 around 7 years ago. I set the fan speed at a constant 40-45% and it stays at around 49-54 celsius under full load.

One of the main reasons I installed homebrew a few months ago + free psn games. I can push start+home button to see my temperatures and even control it over the web interface. It should make it last longer but im not expecting miracles.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

just picked up a toshiba 36" consumer CRT... the reds on it have a decidedly purple hue

pure green and blue screens seem correct, but the blue phosphors on a pure red screen are being illuminated slightly

EDIT: it's not a purity problem... the reds are fine when using YPbPr input - but they are decidedly purple over composite (using a known good dreamcast with 240p test suite)
no big deal cause I don't use composite for anything, but odd nonetheless
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

I was just thinking how awesome it would be if the MiSTer or any other FPGA could run cv1k core. Aren`t the SH3 Boards FPGA based and all these games running on the same code anyway, more or less? At least blitter is running on a fpga which seems to be a pain in todays emulation.
I guess theoretically this might be possible or not?!
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I have a PAL gamecube with RGC SCART cable out. I don't know that it matters, but I replaced the original disc drive with a XenoGC modded drive from my US NTSC gamecube. I bought a PAL game to test, but I don't get any video through my OSSC. It comes through at 50Hz on the OSSC so I assume it won't play on my US NTSC TV. However, I tried the composite adapter through my receiver and video plays fine. I guess I have 2 questions: is this normal, and how can I get PAL video through my SCART/OSSC?
Kez

Post by Kez »

If your OSSC has the green light and is reporting a sync signal, chances are the TV is struggling with the signal from the OSSC. What is your 480/576i processing mode? You can try passthrough, 2x and 4x to see if that makes a difference. Also many PAL Gamecube games have a 60hz mode, which will probably work. You may have to activate it blind though (if memory serves, hold B while the game starts then press left, A).
RottenToTheGore

I need some SMD 75Ohm resistors for a Genesis 2 Scart head. I don't know too much about what I'd need though, I'm seeing things like 1/4W and 1% and such.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for what I'd need? Thanks!
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

So old game console + OSSC + analog vga crt monitor + light gun DOES NOT work, right? Can anyone confirm and explain why?
(If specific light gun is needed, let's say Zapper.)
Kez

Post by Kez »

Galgomite wrote:So old game console + OSSC + analog vga crt monitor + light gun DOES NOT work, right? Can anyone confirm and explain why?
Light guns work using the timings of the electron beam in a 15khz CRT. The horizontal scan rate (15khz on a regular 480i/240p CRT) indicates how long it takes the beam to move from left to right. Your average analog VGA CRT monitor has a 31khz horizontal scan rate, meaning it draws 2 lines in the same time it takes a 15khz monitor to draw 1. Even with 100% scan lines on OSSC, it simply draws one line, then draws a blank line whereas a 15khz monitor is continually drawing lines.

The NES Zapper might be an exception though, as the way it detects hits is not as complex.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Galgomite wrote:So old game console + OSSC + analog vga crt monitor + light gun DOES NOT work, right? Can anyone confirm and explain why?
Got a guy running Duck Hunt in 2x on the OSSC and he says it works on his PC CRT (I assume VGA) monitor...never tried it myself (yet ;)

So I have a problem and I'm not on any Windows groups or forums to ask about...I have a TCL TV hooked up to my Windows 10 PC. I have a stereo system hooked up to the Windows PC for when I'm gaming (which outputs from the line-out 3.5mm minijack), but for regular computer stuff like watching YouTube videos I want the audio to output to the speakers on my TCL TV via HDMI. I have this setup perfectly to do just that...

BUT Windows keeps on installing (without telling/asking me) different Realtek audio drivers which are defaulting to the line-out audio jack (and do NOT have the option to output via HDMI at the same time like the original MB's drivers do). What the heck can I do to stop this driver from installing 5x+ times a day? I've already made the realtek folder read-only per this article and that didn't work:

https://appuals.com/how-to-disable-wind ... k-drivers/

The only other option that above article gives is to stop ALL automatic driver updates which means that if I plug in something as simple as a thumb drive or other device it won't recognize it and I'll have to manually install its driver every time which isn't going to work for me....any ideas? This happens multiple times a day...and it's a long process with 2x reboots to re-install my MB's Realtek audio every single time I want to watch a YouTube video with audio on my TV...