CHEAPEST way to play imports on a PSone...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

CHEAPEST way to play imports on a PSone...

Post by dave4shmups »

I know about the free and legal Gameshark CDX for the Dreamcast; is there anything similar for the PSone?

If not, what is THE cheapest import-player disc?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I think the PSXChange could be your best bet.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

I think there's only one; The PS-X-Change, as mentioned. Works really well.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thanks a bunch guys, that IS cheap! :D
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Depending on your ebay luck, you could go even cheaper using the Game Enhancer. It's just like the PS-X-Change as far as I can tell. I use the GE myself and I'm 99% satisfied with it so far. The only problem I've had with it is that it sometimes gives me choppy audio in the intro the the PS1 Salamander Deluxe Pack, and from what I've read, this is a potential problem with nearly all swap methods.

But yeah, it's definitely the budget solution to importing and backupping.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Breaker Pro is another psx boot disc. this one works on a ps2 as well provided it's set up for swap magic.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Naiera wrote:I think there's only one; The PS-X-Change, as mentioned. Works really well.
I've heard that Toaplan Shooting Battle doesn't work with the PS-X-Change; that's not a problem for me, but are there any other PS1 imports that don't work with the PS-X-Change?
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

dave4shmups: I still have some 7 wire stealth PSone chips available if you're interested. This is far better than any other boot method (disc, enhancer, swap trick, etc.) Can send one to you for $10.00, and include the necessary wire/solder if needed.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

dave4shmups wrote:I've heard that Toaplan Shooting Battle doesn't work with the PS-X-Change; that's not a problem for me, but are there any other PS1 imports that don't work with the PS-X-Change?
Offhand I don't know of any other titles that don't work outright with the PSX-Change, but there are one or two other things to keep in mind when using it:

1) Some later titles have anti-mod capabilities and won't play when using the swap disc "normally"; however, the X-Change does have the ability to enter anti-anti-mod codes before booting the game disc up, just be aware that it can be a pain to a) look around to find the codes online, and b) enter them every time you want to play one of those games. None of the PS1 shmups I've had needed the codes, but my DDRs did, so just be aware of it.

2) Some games will also lose their music when the PSX-Change is used, although they'll play fine. Bokan Desu Yo did that for me, and I've heard that the DonPachis do that too.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Hmm, maybe I'd just be better off getting a modded PS1.

Or, there is this disc:

http://www.modmonster.com/index.asp?Pag ... &ProdID=54

The back of it's box says it works with even the newest PS1 imports, and I want my ZanacXZanac! :P
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Stealth mod's the best method, but if you don't want to solder to your board, certain boot discs are "okay". I've never liked swapping discs for a few reasons...but the most obvious reason being glitches. Anyway, $24.99's a little high for a boot disc. Should be able to find one a little cheaper than that. :)
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

superhitachi4 wrote:Stealth mod's the best method, but if you don't want to solder to your board, certain boot discs are "okay". I've never liked swapping discs for a few reasons...but the most obvious reason being glitches. Anyway, $24.99's a little high for a boot disc. Should be able to find one a little cheaper than that. :)
The only one I know of cheaper then that one is the PS-X-Change-and the glitches with that one have already been mentioned. This $24.99 one says it works with even the newest PS1 games, if you look closely at the box, so I don't think that's a bad deal at all.
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Yeah, whatever makes you happy. Just trying to help heh.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

superhitachi4 wrote:Yeah, whatever makes you happy. Just trying to help heh.
I know you were just trying to help, and I'm sorry if I sounded rude, but the box on the more expensive PS1 boot disc does say:

"Works perfectly with every game, even the newest ones."

I can only assume that that's why it's more expensive then the PS-X-Change. *shrugs*
llabnip

Post by llabnip »

dave4shmups wrote:
Naiera wrote:I think there's only one; The PS-X-Change, as mentioned. Works really well.
I've heard that Toaplan Shooting Battle doesn't work with the PS-X-Change; that's not a problem for me, but are there any other PS1 imports that don't work with the PS-X-Change?
TSB does not work with the PS-X-Change. Neither does DonPachi or DoDonPachi (I think the former may play but without music... the latter does not load generally and is buggy). The problem with the PS-X-Change is that it doesn't re-read the red-book-audio table of contents on the CD and so the music is generally all messed up - sometimes this just messes up the music, other times it causes the programs to crash. I don't think Gunbird works with the PS-X-Change either.

My original print Zanac Neo and Raycrisis both work fine with the PS-X-Change. I can't remember if Gradius Gaiden works with it but I want to say it does work and I can test it if you need the information. Maybe there are better boot discs than the PS-X-Change?

Anyway, my advice: get your system modded... it's the only way to go with PS-X imports.
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

llabnip wrote:I can't remember if Gradius Gaiden works with it but I want to say it does work and I can test it if you need the information.
I've been using the PSXC with Gaiden for years without problems.