which Duo to get? *edit*-question added

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
captain ahar

which Duo to get? *edit*-question added

Post by captain ahar »

i want to buy a pc engine duo, but given that there are 3 releases (Duo, R, RX), i am wondering if any one release is superior. also, there have been a few posts about the "short lifespan" of some duos, does this line up with a particular model? thanks.
Last edited by captain ahar on Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no sig whatsoever.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I've heard that the original model Duo is sturdier than the R and RX. Unfortunately, I can't confirm this. I do know that you'll pay a bit more for the R model and a lot more for the RX model (but it has that cool controller).
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Unless you're totally set on a Duo, I'd get either a PC Engine, or a Turbo Grafx 16. Duo's seem to die faster then just about any other CD-based console I know of.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
99pence

Post by 99pence »

Get which ever one you like the look of most.

If you want to play CD games you're better off with a Duo clearly.

I've never heard people moaning about PC Engines being unreliable before. You've got to remember you're basically buying a 10+ year old CD player. Plus it needs to have been well looked after so it's always going to be a bit of a gamble buying one.
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

OmegaFlareX wrote:I've heard that the original model Duo is sturdier than the R and RX. Unfortunately, I can't confirm this. I do know that you'll pay a bit more for the R model and a lot more for the RX model (but it has that cool controller).
It's the other way around. The R and RX models are the sturdier ones.

Personally, I'm quite satisfied with my regular Duo. I'd go for an R if I could choose any though. Just got this one I have now because it was quite cheap and it came with an RGB mod.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

All I know is that I asked Turbo Zone Direct if the CD part of the Duo has a short life-span, and they said this in response:

"I cannot say short lifespan, but it seems to be the Achilles heel."

That having been said, I have been told on that the original Duo was made with sturdier parts then the Duo-R.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

dave4shmups wrote: "I cannot say short lifespan, but it seems to be the Achilles heel."
This is the first I've heard of this. Go with the general consensus and ignore the statement by "Turbo Zone Direct"...
captain ahar

to clarify

Post by captain ahar »

i am looking for a CD based NEC console (one of the turbos). i want a japanese model because i already have a turbografx 16 and want to play the cd games as well as the jp hu-cards. thanks for the info everyone!
PC Engine Fan X!

Your best bet is a Turbo Duo with Hu-Card convertor...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I bought my Turbo Duo brand new back in November 1994 for a cheap $100 and it turns out it was the last one in stock at my local Good Guys. Meanwhile, at some Toys-R-Us stores (like in San Francisco) that were still selling Turbo Duos at that same time period, they were selling for the regular retail price of $299.99.

Again, getting ahold of an original "boxy" Hu-Card convertor or even a Kisado convertor will set you back at $100.00 or more!

Just remember to buy a NEC Tennokoe Bank Rom-Ram Hu-Card to save your Duo game saves for posterity (as it is known that the Duo can lose it's "Backup Ram" if it's not turned on every few months to recharge the internal capacitor that supplies the juice needed for the "backup memory" of your TG-16 Hu-Card & Duo game saves).

I learned the hard way and learned that a Tennokoe Bank Hu-card is necessary in addition to owning a NEC Duo console of any kind.

Of course, there's the optional NEC Turbo Booster Plus that has the built-in "Backup Ram" save feature for the original TG-16 console but it still requires that you turn it on to refresh the internal capacitor to keep your game saves.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
supaT

Post by supaT »

Slightly OT: Does anyone know whether it is true if you cut off the power / open CD-Loader in busy-state from the Duo it wont boot up again? (Why you should always 'lock' the CD-Drive).

Just curious, because a friend of mine told me that and I am not going to test it :).
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

I have recently bought a PC Engine Duo and am waiting for it to arrive.
-----------------------
Couple questions though about the system cards:

-How many System Card releases were there (not including the Arcade Card)?

-What System Card did the PC Engine Duo ship with?

-Can I play all CD-Rom format games (aside from Arcade Card releases) out of the box?
-----------------------

Thanks for the help. I remember that this information was readily available on the old forums, but don't remember seeing it here.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

captain ahar wrote:-How many System Card releases were there (not including the Arcade Card)?

-What System Card did the PC Engine Duo ship with?

-Can I play all CD-Rom format games (aside from Arcade Card releases) out of the box?
I believe it goes like this...

-There was 1.0, 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0

-Yes.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos