PCB Storage

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
KnuckleheadFlow

Re: PCB Storage

Post by KnuckleheadFlow »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Since your post I've been wondering about this. I thought that the major purpose of a ground plane is to handle stray voltage or current while the device is in use - so it most directly protects communication ports, power, and other things with a connection to the outside world, or it's dealing with a device on the board that consistently dumps some small amount of extra voltage into the circuit which you have to handle for stability. Physical handling is more random; you can touch the board anywhere and if you're careless or unlucky that current spike can happen right next to a fragile component, or multiple fragile components, and travel into both. If anything I think it's just the higher design tolerances of obsolete components that protect them from being shocked to death; some modern stuff is exceedingly fragile.

I blathered on a lot earlier, but my basic view is that any non-metalized bag is only a partial solution and you can't count on it to make up for bad handling. Pink anti-static bags or bubble can only be relied on not to build up a charge when you unwrap them. The bubble wrap is more likely to provide a physical gap between you and the PCB, and probably is good enough for shipment, but it's not a guarantee. You also have to think about the physical board itself, so it has to be stored in a way that it won't sag or bend. Ex-Cyber's point about discharging batteries is interesting, too.

In the meantime I put more stock in proper handling and putting money into the things that directly help a PCB function safely, like a good power supply that delivers free range electrons hand-picked by elves in the valleys of the Swiss Alps.

By the way, since Brexit how are those anti-static wrap prices?
The ground plane's main purpose is a return path for the circuit, the minus (-) end. Making it a big plane (an entire layer of the PCB often) instead of individual lines is just more efficient. This produces a path of very low resistance and so one added benefit is catching stray static electricity. It's much easier for your spark to get to ground by the ground plane, rather than into any of the components.

And I don't get the brexit thing since I'm Canadian haha.
dak1

Post by dak1 »

These archival boxes just arrived in the mail today. I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Century Archival Elite #1213 Storage Print Box, Size: 11x14" x 2" http://a.co/g9J1OZK

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by dak1 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Pretty cool - but when you have many PCB's, this is quite expensive.
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
dak1

Post by dak1 »

Pretty cool - but when you have many PCB's, this is quite expensive.
True, they are expensive. For the nicer PCBs it's worth it I think. Maybe there are cheaper archival boxes?
egg_sanwich

Post by egg_sanwich »

I definitely like the look of those boxes, but yeah, at that price I'd rather just put it towards more games :D
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I use plastic bins for pcb storage. I dont have that many though.
dak1

Post by dak1 »

Here's a link where you can get them for a better price, direct from the manufacturer.

http://www.centuryboxes.com/products.ph ... lite%20Box
rpgposer

Post by rpgposer »

Sure this has been posted before, but I use these: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S- ... -2-x-2-1-2
dak1

Post by dak1 »

rpgposer wrote:Sure this has been posted before, but I use these: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S- ... -2-x-2-1-2
Thanks for the link. Here's another similar one http://www.corstat.com/products-listing ... ppers.html
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I just finished this setup today. Took a lot more work than I had anticipated, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. Finding specific boards and switching out games in the arcade cab has never been simpler. No more bubble wrap nonsense!

dak1

Post by dak1 »

[quote="Sumez"]I just finished this setup today. Took a lot more work than I had anticipated, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. Finding specific boards and switching out games in the arcade cab has never been simpler. No more bubble wrap nonsense!

Looks great
strygo

Post by strygo »

Sumez wrote:I just finished this setup today. Took a lot more work than I had anticipated, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. Finding specific boards and switching out games in the arcade cab has never been simpler. No more bubble wrap nonsense!
The real question is, do you have them all wired up to a massive JAMMA switcher. :)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I was actually considering something similar.... I have a lot of JAMMA extenders, and it would be amazingly cool to just hook boards up as they are. But aside from all the obvious logistic issues with that, I wouldn't want to have to modify my NAC in order to pull that many wires out of it :P

I did have easy switching in mind when making the setup though, and drilled holes in all of the boards so I can quickly set them up on the hooks I installed inside the cab.

As you can tell by the top image, I also labeled the shelves so I can easily identify each bord.
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

I found these boxes at staples in 5 packs that work well.
16" x 12" x 2" I just place the pcbs in a static bag and static free bubble wrap .
here is a pick of my storage area.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Looks great, man.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Thanks! Trying to stay organized 8)
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

Sexy shelf, specially the top left corner :mrgreen:

Good job.