Ultracade Universal Video Converter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
rCadeGaming

Re: Ultracade Universal Video Converter

Post by rCadeGaming »

Maybe they'll be back on eBay from a new seller. Still waiting to hear back from the original seller, eBay doesn't let you see the winners of other people's auctions.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll let you know either way.
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Fudoh wrote:If you hear back from the guy who bought the whole batch, please forward his contact info to me (if he's willing to part with some and you're set first of course). Had the same situation here, bookmarked the auction and was really surprised when they were all gone yesterday. Don't even have a problem with paying a certain premium.....
Fudoh, I don't think I ever updated you on this. My apologies. I don't think I ever got ahold of the guy or found any more for sale. The trail went cold.

-

One quick question about these, there's no way to get them working with a 480i input, correct?
Last edited by rCadeGaming on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The UVc only accepts a 480p signal from the get-go, hence why it works if you use an Microsoft 360 VGA cable with it feeding it a 480p signal and it downconverts it to 240p signal.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
leonk

Post by leonk »

I finally managed to purchase one of these gems from an arcade collector in France. I had some questions I hoped someone can answer:

My goal: Sega Naomi 2 -> 31khz -> uvc -> 24khz -> new astro city dual res monitor

Will this work? Is the 31khz res out of Naomi correct res?

I know Naomi can output 15khz but I read somewhere it's interlaced video (yuck! Is this true?)
PC Engine Fan X!

Yep, the Sega Naomi outputs in both 31kHz (progressive) and 15kHz (interlaced) via a switch setting on-board the Naomi motherboard itself. So it'd be best to have the Naomi set to output in 31kHz piped into the UVc and the dual Nanao monitor set to 24kHz mode for that super-razor sharp overall presentation.

Bonus: Works wonders with an Xbox 360 console via an UVc as well in 24kHz mode via your arcade monitor setup. Of course, if using an 360 VGA cable with 360 console set to output at 480p mode --> UVc --> arcade monitor set at 15kHz mode = true 240p format.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
leonk

Post by leonk »

I recently got my UVC in the mail. I've been trying to get it to work with emphatic's help, but to no avail. splash screen never shows, all I get is a black screen. I though maybe someone else try and assist.

My UVC has a sticker on the outside that says "Happ Controls version 2.04".

Between the UVC and JAMMA harness I have the following connected (verified with multimeter): R,G,B,Ground,Composite sync (V sync wire is not connected - Vsync is not used on my New Astro City with MS9-29A). The cab does work with a JPAC that puts out only negative composite sync so I know the settings I'm using are correct.

As VGA input I tried: laptop with windows set to 1024x768, Naomi game board with video set to 640x480@31k. In any and all cases, I get the same results:

- 4 LED lights are on
- black screen
- game plays blind

According to the UVC manual, status LEDs D9, D10, and potentially D8/D11 should be on. None of these LED's are ever on. So the PCB doesn't seem to "boot" for some reason. Anyone else have a similar issue in the past?

Anyone has a working UVC in North America? I'm willing to pay for return shipping to do a swap test (i.e. you swap your working UVC with this one, set the pots and confirm operation). Any interest?
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Check your power supply with a meter, make sure its feeding the UVC enough juice.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rugdoctor wrote:Check your power supply with a meter, make sure its feeding the UVC enough juice.
Great, I didn't think to suggest that. *facepalm*
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

the power to these has to be spot on or you can also get wavy disturbances on the image as well. Usually the power from the jamma harness is good enough to negate this but beware of hdd power adapters, its a hit and miss on those. Atx power supply is also really good, but a bit of an overkill though.
leonk

Post by leonk »

I tried both an ATX power supply, as well as connecting directly to the Naomi PSU (while Naomi was disabled) still no go. Here's the stats on the PSU I tried:

5.12V (10A), 12.22V (2A)
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

OK sounds like you have the right specs power supply, next question did you change the dipswitch for 24 KHz or 15 KHz? Also did you do the jumper switch on the monitor chassis itself for 15 or 24 Khz. Also, may sound silly, but did you try another VGA cable from the computer/naomi to the UVC? Lets hope its as simple as the mis-matched resolution or cable fault, otherwise you have a dud UVC afaik :( Also make sure the dipswitch is on for C-Sync and you had the video header wired up properly.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Can someone confirm the order of connectors? Looking at some pics online, it seems to differ from the uvc manual.

For example, on http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.ca/ ... ellow.html one can see that the pins connected are: r, g, b, gnd, and v sync (3rd picture) but the blog entry says h/c was used.

As per manual, the correct order is: r, g, b, gnd, v sync, h/c sync

My cable has v sync disconnected and h/c connected. Can someone confirm the order?
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

:shock: Definitely H/C-Sync used, V-Sync will not provide sync signal especially if the dipswitch has been toggled for H/C-Sync only. Check your pm and you see what I mean :lol: The order has also been defined so you know exactly which pin should go where.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Oh man, I've been struggling with the VGA from xbox360->Blast City (ms2930 manual chassis) for months now... Wish I had seen this thread earlier. :cry:

So if stabilizing the sync is my ultimate goal, are there other options that might work just as well?
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
PC Engine Fan X!

When I first got my UVc, it was a bit of a mystery has to why it wasn't booting up properly until I fiddled around with the dipswitch settings and finally the main UVc screen came up. Apparently, when it's hooked up to my Egret 2's Jamma edge connector interface, it won't power up unless I use, at least, two rubber bands (double looped or even triple looped) placed on the right side so that all the necessary LEDs light up to denote that it's getting power properly. If I don't utilize the rubber band trick, the UVc won't power up whatsoever. Of course, I'm using a dual-sync (15kHz & 24kHz) Nanao MS9 monitor setup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
leonk

Post by leonk »

??? Can you post a picture of this?
leonk

Post by leonk »

Update:

A couple weeks ago, I purchased another UVC from shumps forum member Fudoh (of hazard-city.de fame - most knowledgable person when it comes to scan converters in the world!) I reused the same wire, power supply, VGA cables, and even jumper settings as the first unit I have.

It worked perfectly. I saw a lot more red LEDs light up on the unit, and the Ultracade logo popped up, waited a few seconds, and then Naomi 2 booted up. I must say, the UVC @ 15khz gives amazing video compared to Naomi set to output 15khz.. Naomi simply shows 480i which looks like crap. UVC actually scaled to 240p .. much better looking picture!

Thanks Fudoh for the great UVC!
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Hope the French seller give you some compensation for the UVC he sold you :wink:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rugdoctor wrote:Hope the French seller give you some compensation for the UVC he sold you :wink:
^^This. I'm glad your wiring was in order.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
leonk

Post by leonk »

I'm having issues with the French seller. He's being an *ss about it. At this point, he's not even replying to my e-mails. I'm not sure what my next course of action should be.

I could write an "article" about my experiences with the seller, the extend that I went to get the UVC tested, and lessons learned.. including a warning to potential buyers to not deal with this individual. And then post it in all the usual places, including the French Arcade Forum he's VERY active on.

Any suggestions??
tcancian

Post by tcancian »

leonk wrote:I'm having issues with the French seller. He's being an *ss about it. At this point, he's not even replying to my e-mails. I'm not sure what my next course of action should be.

I could write an "article" about my experiences with the seller, the extend that I went to get the UVC tested, and lessons learned.. including a warning to potential buyers to not deal with this individual. And then post it in all the usual places, including the French Arcade Forum he's VERY active on.

Any suggestions??
If you bought it using eBay or paying through PayPal, don't hesitate to contact Customer Support or to open a dispute. Claims will be verified by the respective companies and you might get your money back if he sold you a faulty unit listed as working. You could also call your bank and ask for how to work through a chargeback procedure with your credit card company. In any case, don't let it go past the deadlines or they might refuse to help you at all.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Anyone tryed the Ultracade UVC with xbox 1 in 480p and dreamcast with vga box? don't know why, but both don't sync right on my UVC
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

did you try the dips for forced 640x480 input ?

Both the XBox1 and the DC output in 720x480, so in theory the timings are not compatible with the UVC's supported input resolutions. If you have a HDBoxPro, you could scale from 720x480 in component to 640x480 in VGA - at least for the XBox1.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Fudoh wrote:did you try the dips for forced 640x480 input ?

Both the XBox1 and the DC output in 720x480, so in theory the timings are not compatible with the UVC's supported input resolutions. If you have a HDBoxPro, you could scale from 720x480 in component to 640x480 in VGA - at least for the XBox1.
Thats what I do :)
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Fudoh wrote:did you try the dips for forced 640x480 input ?

I Tryed the dips, i use the xrgb3 in B1 Mode. I will try with the "cga to vga"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

XRGB-3 in B1 is also 720x480p, not real VGA. B0 might be real VGA (640x480), but I'm not sure about that.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Weird, I've never had a problem running my DC into my UVC using auto resolution. Or maybe I did have it set to forced 480p? Doesn't this differ between different VGA boxes for the DC though?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Doesn't this differ between different VGA boxes for the DC though?
very well possible. There are several brands of VGA boxes which only work on particular TV sets, so there have to be some differences after all.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

rugdoctor wrote:the power to these has to be spot on or you can also get wavy disturbances on the image as well. Usually the power from the jamma harness is good enough to negate this but beware of hdd power adapters, its a hit and miss on those. Atx power supply is also really good, but a bit of an overkill though.

Thanks for posting this. Was able to dial out the wavy static.

I'm noticing some tearing in a few games. If I add the required modelines for my videocard, will the UVC accept and passthrough the proper refresh rate in 240p 15khz?
=/
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

tried out groovymame with calamity's ati drivers. Picture is greatly improved over what I was getting with the UVC, plus it supports all the funny resolutions I need.
=/