japan saturn RGB output problem

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Diabollokus

japan saturn RGB output problem

Post by Diabollokus »

Right

Got my saturn today hooked up step down all works fine no power problems however visual display is wrong!

I have a big bastid philips TV its high quality but when connected to japan saturn picture appears pixilated and in black and white not sure whats wrong, theres traces of colour but not everywhere really weird.

Its the same rgb cable i use for my pal saturn anyone any ideas or encountered a similar problem? The sound quality is fine no problems just colour and visual.

Could my saturn be damaged or does it need a new rgb cable?
I tried rf lead that came with it but no difference just black and white with better picture quality and no sound....

The TV can support 60Hz.
Vidi Vici Veni
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Been thinking

Could the problem be due to the ntsc signal? and the fact japanese use s-video and not scart cables? If so I may be able to sort it.
Vidi Vici Veni
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Diabollokus wrote:Been thinking

Could the problem be due to the ntsc signal? and the fact japanese use s-video and not scart cables? If so I may be able to sort it.
Hmmm.....my white Saturn came with a scart cable and that works just fine, as does the scart off my PAL saturn, although it displays in black and white on my older tv.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Diabollokus wrote:Been thinking

I've got a US Saturn (NTSC) and use SCART cables here in Europe just fine. Oddly, I use two different kinds of SCART cables. One has 10 pins which works on our multi-system tv and the other has 20 pins I purchased from Lik-Sang that I use on the standard PAL television.

But why go through all the trouble? The RGB SCART cables offer video signal that is only marginally better than s-video IMHO.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Really? I happen to find S-video dead and fuzzy compared to the crisp pixels on RGB. I ran tests on my Amiga monitor, that's why I'm an RGB nazi now.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Hmm,

Have you tried using other NTSC consoles via RGB?

The difference between RGB and Svideo varies. In my experience if you buy a high end TV (CRT Im talking about) like a Sony 29"+ with Svideo its going to be close. If you buy a 21" TV from a store like Argos then RGB is going to be much better.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Not sure about other ntsc consoles, Think I'll just buy a s-video cable for the saturn of ebay if it dosen't work I'm all out of ideas.
Vidi Vici Veni
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Do you know for certain if your TV is 60hz NTSC compatible?

PAL TV's will show black and white for a number of reasons. If say the scart lead you are using is not an RGB configured lead, you will be sending NTSC to the TV and not RGB.

Are you using the yellow, red and white cables plugged into a scart adaptor? This would cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

Your TV might have a Svideo/RGB switch on the back. If in Svideo mode when feeding it RGB, that will cause black and white also. Check to see if your remote control "AV" input button selects with Svideo/RGB. Not all TV's are auto like this.

Just read your first post again. You know you might have bought a Saturn that had a mod go wrong. Partial color is not a good sign.

If you know someone with an import console, try RGB through that.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

I bought the thing of a japanese seller called hit japan, he had nearly 6000 transactions and 99.4% positive feedback I don't think he sold me a modded saturn, it came with the sealed original battery! I could open her up and check.

No, I'm pretty sure the console is sound I have one final card though, I know the home cinema projector we have is compatible with anything! so that should take care of it, problem is bulb has blown and that ain't cheap to replace.........

This shit is not fair. At least I got to play silvergun again, but in black in white, makes chaining impossible.

Red,yellow an white yep tried em black and white with good sound in the video area where its ment to be.

60HZ yes NTSC 60HZ not sure. Would expect it to be though top of the range a few years back.
Vidi Vici Veni
azmun

Post by azmun »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Hmm,

Have you tried using other NTSC consoles via RGB?

The difference between RGB and Svideo varies. In my experience if you buy a high end TV (CRT Im talking about) like a Sony 29"+ with Svideo its going to be close. If you buy a 21" TV from a store like Argos then RGB is going to be much better.
Hmm, that might explain why some think RGB SCART or component is that much better than s-video. I use this signal with our Sony XBR and feel the quality is amazing.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

A HA!

Salvation may be at hand!, turns out the cable I was using isn't true RGB it has to few pins for that! So I bought S-video and Official scart-rgb to sort this mess out.

Thanks for replying guys It may be a simple case of victim of ones own ignorance.
Vidi Vici Veni