PGM2 battery replacement

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
system11

PGM2 battery replacement

Post by system11 »

Someone said a few people have been having this problem - here you go.

System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
robivy64

Re: PGM2 battery replacement

Post by robivy64 »

So it will not boot the game if the battery is not present/not functioning?

Glad to see them use a CR2032 instead of the NiMH varta.
system11

Post by system11 »

From experience it'll boot one time in 6 or 7 when the battery is faulty and go straight to the clock menu - it's very flaky.
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

To keep the highscores and such, can I change battery while the game is running? Or do I need to change when power is off (assuming it holds the scores for a little while with the power from a capacitor perhaps?)
Looking to buy, working or faulty: Dodonpachi, Deathsmiles, Ibara, Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bobble.
system11

Post by system11 »

Who can say? Never tried it. Mostly you'll only think about this when the battery dies (these drain fast), so ...
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

bytestorm wrote:To keep the highscores and such, can I change battery while the game is running? Or do I need to change when power is off (assuming it holds the scores for a little while with the power from a capacitor perhaps?)
You'd have to be playing with the cartridge case removed, do you really want to do that?
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

Hmm the operator who sold it had cleared all anyway I just realized, and in the other cart the battery was already dead :(. Oh well, thanks for the reply guys!!
Looking to buy, working or faulty: Dodonpachi, Deathsmiles, Ibara, Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bobble.
jessiewonka

Post by jessiewonka »

I put a fresh 2032 in DOJ today and the thing still won't retain any settings.
daskrabs

Post by daskrabs »

jessiewonka wrote:I put a fresh 2032 in DOJ today and the thing still won't retain any settings.
Me too. Anybody have any ideas?
John_Smith

Post by John_Smith »

daskrabs wrote:
jessiewonka wrote:I put a fresh 2032 in DOJ today and the thing still won't retain any settings.
Me too. Anybody have any ideas?

Hi all :wink: First off, many apologies for dragging this long expired thread back into the light.

After failing to track down any resolution to the final couple of notes quoted above, I'm hoping the resident PGM2 experts may be able to shed some light on this "fault". I've recently picked up a copy of Knights of Valour 3 (sorry, I know it's not a shmup) from good ol' SheepNova and have the same issue with no operators settings or calendar info saving on power off. Two different, brand new 2032 coin batteries tried, I even replaced the battery holder with a new identical part upon noticing very minor oxidisation on the terminals. Nothing has fixed this non-saving of settings, and I'm greeted by the time/date setting screen with 2011 default date on every boot.
Now, the game works fine, and this issue doesn't seem to affect the save card function at all, which is a relief. Is this a recognised issue with PGM2 games? Have I got a RTC or BRAM failure perhaps?
Oh, and I also have an Oriental Legend 2 rom board on hand, and that one is fine, saving settings and calendar without issue.

Any insight would be super helpful.
Thanks in advance