New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bencao74

Re: New (upcoming) Scanline generator SLG3000

Post by bencao74 »

First the USB cable strength is very thin. Screwing them to terminal is a pain in the ass. So here`s the first issue. Second there is the chance of changing the cables 5V and GND by mistake. Sure we`ve this voltage reversal protection. But the diode will burn then. For experienced user/ modders is think it`s no problem anyway...
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

The "port for power supply" could allow power from USB via an adapter...

USB to 3.5mm Barrel Jack 5V DC Power Cable
http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Barrel-Jack ... B003059FAI

USB to 5.5mm / 2.1mm 5V DC Barrel Jack Power Cable
http://www.amazon.com/5-5mm-2-1mm-Barre ... =pd_cp_e_1

Of course we'd need to know the size of the port, but I assume that would work.
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

bencao74 wrote:First the USB cable strength is very thin. Screwing them to terminal is a pain in the ass. So here`s the first issue. Second there is the chance of changing the cables 5V and GND by mistake. Sure we`ve this voltage reversal protection. But the diode will burn then. For experienced user/ modders is think it`s no problem anyway...
All of this makes sense to me.
stuntman wrote:The "port for power supply" could allow power from USB via an adapter...

USB to 3.5mm Barrel Jack 5V DC Power Cable
http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Barrel-Jack ... B003059FAI

USB to 5.5mm / 2.1mm 5V DC Barrel Jack Power Cable
http://www.amazon.com/5-5mm-2-1mm-Barre ... =pd_cp_e_1

Of course we'd need to know the size of the port, but I assume that would work.
This looks like a great solution as long as it fits, yeah.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Fudoh wrote: A Faroudja upscaler with the SLG3000 should rock!
Good news, my luck held out and I'm getting a Faroudja VP250 from Ebay! Any word of advice for using these things?
"Don't HD my SD!!"
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

ok this may sound like a silly question, but I'm directing this to winni.

You mentioned it's all vga input. I've been thinking if I were to run two vga/component cables with this, will it still accept the signal or does it have to be a direct vga 31hz?
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

From my understanding, 31khz is the mimimum scan frequency, but not the maximum (so you can run XGA as well if you like). The input and output signals have to be RGBHV though, so if you want to use a 480p (or higher) component signal you need to use a color transcoder.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

So some of the posts at the beginning of the thread discussed it, but I wanted to make sure - this device would work with the Xbox 360's VGA output at 640x480?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

oh yes.
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

great project :)

is it still coming for xmas ?

final price is really ~50€ ?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Talking about aperture grill simulation, giving MAME OS X a spin the other day I saw that it has a few aperture grill simulations among its video filters which I thought looked very funky. Try it out if you are curious as to how such a thing would work.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

I love the aperture grill in mame osx, but only on the weakest setting. The other ones are too intense.
bencao74

Scanline generator SLG3000 - Pre-Orders open!

Post by bencao74 »

Hey,

yes we`re late, but we`re done. 8)

Here`re some pics

http://bencao74.blogspot.com/2010/12/up ... g3000.html

Testing phase is finished!

SLG3000 adds scanlines to your VGA monitor or LCD display. SLG3000 works with gaming consoles or converters which outputs 480p (and 600p).

Features:
  • Connect SLG300 just by PnP and enjoy scanlines.
  • Scanline can be faded out and in continuously via adjusting axle.
  • V Voltage can be supplied either via 5mm screw terminals or molex connectors.
  • Supported resolutions are 480p and 600p.
  • On and Off Switch for scanline generation via screw terminals 5mm
  • Power Status led
  • 2 female VGA plugs.
Manual translation in english is in work. Bedienungsanleitung in german is done. Support will be given via Mail to arcadeforge.DE and in this thread.

Price is 45€ plus shipping. EU shipping is 4€, world wide shipping up to 4 pcs is 7€. Receive discount for >5 pcs

Use my arcadeforge.de contact form under http://www.arcadeforge.de for pre-orders. Or give me just some lines via pm.

Delivery starts in january, mid of january.
lovecraft

Re: Scanline generator SLG3000 - Pre-Orders open!

Post by lovecraft »

bencao74 wrote:Hey,

yes we`re late, but we`re done. 8)

[*]Supported resolutions are 480p and 600p.

looks to be a nice product man :)
about the supported resolutions of 480p/600p, is it possible to make it working with old systems like Super Nes or Megadrive ?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

is it possible to make it working with old systems like Super Nes or Megadrive ?
no, on 15khz signals you don't have the extra lines to "blackout". You can pair the SLG3000 with a cheap linedoubler though.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Fudoh wrote:
is it possible to make it working with old systems like Super Nes or Megadrive ?
no, on 15khz signals you don't have the extra lines to "blackout". You can pair the SLG3000 with a cheap linedoubler though.
do you have a recommendation for a cheap linedoubler?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Whatever eBay offers. There are quite some older processors with RGBs input which can easily be bought under 100 EUR these days. If you need something for qick testing, use a HDBoxPro (or Lenkeng 7600), but those two have Component input only.

Or if you're ok with a bare PCB, you can simply use one of the CGA to VGA converters available for around $30 on eBay everywhere.

akumajo

Post by akumajo »

i'm curious to know if this setup will works better than previous builds...

XSELECT-D4 > SLG3000 > DVDO UPSCALER vs XSELECT-D4 > XRGB-3

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The SLG3000 doesn't work behind the XSelect for 15khz sources. Basically the SLG3000 should be put last in chain before the display. That's for 31khz CRTs and for 1080p LCDs. For HD-Ready LCDs this won't work very good (due the scaling from 480p to 768p).

For people who have the XRGB-3 there's little to gain for 15khz sources. While the SLG's scanlines should look as good as the XRGB's, you will have trouble finding a linedoubler as sharp as the XRGB. The SLG will - on the other hand - greatly replace any setup combining a 31khz source + Emotia/UVC + XRGB. It will greatly add scanlines to a XBox1's output or to the 360 cave ports which don't offer scanlines on their own.

For people without a XRGB, combining another linedoubler with the SLG is the next best thing - and it's considerably cheaper than a XRGB as well. Unfortunately there aren't too many linedoublers out there which meet the input-lag requirements of some players. In terms of picture quality the combination of a Faroudja-based linedoubler (e.g. a Holo3DGraph) plus the SLG3000 should be fabulous.

Using a DVDO VP30 (with ABT102 upgrade) with the SLG3000 would be great as well. This should be the most flexible setup ever. RGBs out of the box. Low Latency Gamemodes, perfect picture control, very flexible inputs (e.g. MVS or Seibu boards) and a 60Hz output which can be uncoupled from the input, so the XRGB-3-incompatible TVs don't give trouble anymore.
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

alright Fudoh, pre-ordered mine anyway :)
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Fudoh wrote:In terms of picture quality the combination of a Faroudja-based linedoubler (e.g. a Holo3DGraph) plus the SLG3000 should be fabulous
Yeah, I'm really eager to try this out - can't wait till the SLG3000 releases. The Holo-HTPC is ready so far, just waiting for this thing here :mrgreen:
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Hey,

about the pre-order, put in the pm following infos

- your adress, (to calculate the shipping)
- connector type : Molex or Screw Terminals

I notice each pre-order on a list and first come is first serve. If we run nearly out of stock for the first assmbled batch (mid - end January) I give a additional message in the thread, so no worries.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

Fudoh wrote:

Fudoh, just to make sure, is this the configuration you think of ? :
But if, for example, I plug-in a Super Famicom to the CGA-VGA converter via the SFC scart cable, how do I output sound since there is no sound-pin in the VGA connector ?

I would ask a couple of questions to bencao74:
- does the SLG3000 needs an external power source ?
- sorry if it's a stupid question, but is an extensive use of the SLG3000 guaranteed to not damage the TV ?

Thanks guys for your replies
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

yes you will need a power supply (Molex or Screw Terminals)

exemple
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

But if, for example, I plug-in a Super Famicom to the CGA-VGA converter via the SFC scart cable, how do I output sound since there is no sound-pin in the VGA connector ?
The CGA to VGA converter board doesn't have sound inputs either. Easiest way is just to put two more cables into the female Scart connector and route these into your stereo (2x RCA/Cinch) or into your TV (probably 3.5mm jack)
- sorry if it's a stupid question, but is an extensive use of the SLG3000 guaranteed to not damage the TV ?
i don't see how. For the TV this remains a solid 31khz VGA signal...
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

Fudoh wrote:
The CGA to VGA converter board doesn't have sound inputs either. Easiest way is just to put two more cables into the female Scart connector and route these into your stereo (2x RCA/Cinch) or into your TV (probably 3.5mm jack)
i don't see how. For the TV this remains a solid 31khz VGA signal...

thanks for responses, that's what I thought :)
by the way, is my configuration pictured above correct ?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It is. Not saying anything about the CGA/VGA converter's quality though. If you plan on buying such an deinterlacer board, let us know how it goes.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

Fudoh wrote:
It is. Not saying anything about the CGA/VGA converter's quality though. If you plan on buying such an deinterlacer board, let us know how it goes.

I actually have it already (bought from Yaton to convert Sega Model2 24khz signal to 15khz... still untested).
I might try to chain it with the XRGB-3 as well to see if it may solve my XRGB-3 incompatibility problem :lol:
I'm mostly worried about lag-problems in such a chain...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Most upscalers incl. this one behave very much like the XRGB in B0 in terms of processing lag.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I'm definitely still interested, but I think maybe I should wait until someone sells them as part of an enclosure with included power supply (can it be powered via a USB port on the Xbox 360?)... running it bare PCB doesn't really fly here and I don't have the requisite skills to develop an enclosure for it =/
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

I'm definitely still interested, but I think maybe I should wait until someone sells them as part of an enclosure with included power supply (can it be powered via a USB port on the Xbox 360?)... running it bare PCB doesn't really fly here and I don't have the requisite skills to develop an enclosure for it =/
yeah, the demand of PSU plus safe PSU jack and enclosure was stated in other forums as well. I`m working on this! :)