New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hackcell

Re: New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

Post by Hackcell »

Fudoh wrote:you need a 31khz (480p) signal to use the SLG3000.
So, what can I use to have the scanlines effect on a 19 inch LCD monitor plugged to a MS pacman/galaga board?
Legos, H0 model trains, Pinball and Arcades.

Costa Rica, ¡Pura vida!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

you need a linedoubler first. Cheapest one would be a CGA2VGA board from eBay.
philexile

Post by philexile »

Hi bencao74, could you please get back to me when you have a moment? Thanks again!
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

How many of you tried pairing with a cheap HDMI to VGA converter now that there's plenty on the market?
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

How many of you tried pairing with a cheap HDMI to VGA converter now that there's plenty on the market?
You mean a HDMI to VGA converter in front of the SLG3000 ? Will work provided that the converter does output proper sync polarity. Most do, but I assume that some don't. What sources do you have in mind ?
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Well I mainly wanted an analog output to the OSSC and I was just lucky enough to stumble upon a Belkin brand converter for $24 that I happened to pick up by chance. So far I've been exchanging it between that and direct hookup to my PS3.

Originally I was thinking of starting off a separate thread on digital to analog conversion because people still want to put their crt's to use, but I didn't think I had enough material worth discussion over. At least the PS3 has been outputting blu-ray's without any issues.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Edagener

Post by Edagener »

Hello everyone!

Just heard about the SLG and got really excited about it but I have a question:

Would it work with this type of converter (the velleman VASMON3)?

Yes, I know it only takes composite video or S-video but since what I have is an old 48K rubber spectrum modded to s-video that's about the best I can get from the machine.

The Vasmon 3 outputs 640X480 on a VGA monitor and I have succesfully tested with the spectrum but I am very curious about the possibility of placing the SLG on ahead of it (and before the monitor) to get scanlines.

I read there could be a problem with sync polarity. Is the SLG current release able to deal with that possible issue?
watchin

Post by watchin »

Hello everyone!

I just bought a slg3000 to use with MAME but i'm not able to make it work and there are not scanlines at all. I set the computer reolution at 640x480 (and later 1024x768) and also in mame settings ... but nothing.

I start thinking that the problem is not the scanlines hardware but my mame settings (even when I tried all the possible combinations with different computers and screens).

Is there anyone using the slg3000 with MAME with happy results? Please, could you send me your mame.ini to check the differences with mine?

Thanks!
watchin

Post by watchin »

Hello everyone!

I just bought a slg3000 to use with MAME but i'm not able to make it work and there are not scanlines at all. I set the computer resolution at 640x480 (and later 1024x768) and also in mame settings ... but nothing. I also checked all switches combinations...

I start thinking that the problem is not the scanlines hardware but my mame settings (even when I tried all the possible combinations with different computers and screens).

Is there anyone using the slg3000 with MAME with happy results? Please, could you send me your mame.ini to check the differences with mine?

Thanks!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's almost impossible to get NO scanlines at all when running through the SLG3000. The only possibility is your sync polarity. Are you using an external digital to VGA converter or are you getting native RGBHV from your video card? If so (the later) you can adjust the sync polarity with any of the advanced timing tools. Try that. You definitely want a 480p output, otherwise the scanlines will to too thin (on a 768p signal you get 384 scanlines instead of 240).
Edagener

Post by Edagener »

Guys, I'm a bit at a loss here, could anyone advise me?

As far as I understand the Velleman VASMON3 is basically a "vga-box" accepting pal/ntsc CVBS or s-video signal, not a true line doubler.
The slg instructions state that :"The really most interesting practical operation should be the lower VGA resolution 640 x 480 at circa 60 Hz, using the double scanning mode of your graphic device."

Does that mean it will not work with the slg3000?

Has anyone tried the slg3000 with a vga box to see the result?
Kez

Post by Kez »

If the VGA signal is 480p, then it should add scanlines regardless of the source. What you're saying is that your VGA box is not an upscaler or linedoubler, so if you are putting in a 15khz signal (240p/480i) then it will not work with the SLG.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

This thing has a built-in automatic deinterlacer for composite and s-video inputs, outputing 'VGA'.

But there's apparently no control over the deinterlacer which I bet is the problem.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Where're all these interpretations coming from ? User watchin is not user Edagener.

The scan converter shown above (VASMON3) is your typical 15khz to 31+khz upscaler. It supports various output resolutions, but - of course - should be set to 480p for best results with a SLG unit.

The SLG3000 has dip switches to work around the sync polarity issues. Issues like that are rare anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Has anyone tried the slg3000 with a vga box to see the result?
not with this particular one, but I used the SLG3000 on dozens of different upscalers and linedoublers.
Edagener

Post by Edagener »

Well, thanks everybody for your opinions and insight on this!

I am a bit more confident now and I will probably buy one unit to try.

Will report back later the result.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

Hey, has anyone tried playing Undertale with scanlines via an SLG3000? If so, show me the results. I'd love to see it!
sharak

Post by sharak »

Just got myself one of these; the manual pdfs are no longer properly linked; can someone explain how the dipswitches should work? Do I need to turn it off when changing them?

Lovely bit of kit, either way.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

For 480p sources you can change between odd and even scanlines by setting for the dips 4/5 to ON/OFF or OFF/ON. OFF/OFF is for SVGA (800x600) due to the polarity change following the VESA timing rules.

If you set 1/2/3 to OFF then you get 100% darkened scanlines and the potentiometer gets disabled.
Do I need to turn it off when changing them?
no.
sharak

Post by sharak »

Thanks Fudoh.

I really like it. ArcadeForge website is getting on a bit!
mitsuruga

Post by mitsuruga »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aiv0le ... eamPandory

I got that thing and I thought I might use it with xbox 360 and CAVE games. Problem is the screen remains black, I tried different things, but nothing helps. Can anyone help?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

You should have started a new thread as the SLG3000 is a VGA variant from 13 years ago.

A black screen might mean your TV isn't compliant with its output. I don't have a 360 but have you tried different resolution settings?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.