New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RosserRooster

Re: New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

Post by RosserRooster »

Blowing MY LOAD come on now there is no need for comments like that. First off I'm not here to flame bait or start a debate.
The thread I made on the SRK site was created to ask if people on SRK if they had made a scanline generator from something like mmmonkeys diagram that breaks down the whole concept http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other ... nlines.htm I was not really familiar with the whole ordeal and there are a lot of modders and such on SRK. After this post is when Toodles chimed in and said he could make something like this cheap and I showed interest I have never said one negative thing about Bencao or any of his products I actually always recommend his products if some one is looking for something right now since Toodles generator is only in testing phase. I totally respect him but these sort of gaming products are open source and shared. I was just getting the word out talking to people getting feedback not as put "blowing my load" about it This not a race its like coke or Pepsi its just a different option on the same concept. Bencao has done similar things that Toodles has done first. so I don't see a problem. There has been no mud slung by me or Toodles about the SLG3000 and I would ask that you respect us and don't do it our post on SRK.
Cocka-doodle-do MoFo
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Posted this on SRK's TT. Just my view of the SRK vs shmups that is brewing at the moment, hope it makes things clearer:

"Not being a soft cock and all but at the end of the day, then consumer will decide which product will do the job they require and which price point they will go for. AFAIK none of the projects has been patented nor copyright stamped, so that will preserve the spirit of open source projects, which we all know can only get better as time goes by. I have both toodles and bencao74s products and am more than impressed by the level of quality.

I think the reason for the heated debate comes from the fact that the concept(s) in question is still relatively new and the market has a lot of room for competitors. Passionate competition is the best kind in my book and they will be most "passionate" about their most successful product and so in that context being critical about a competitors product is part of the parcel in that respect.

The real test is when the final product rolls out and people start finding out quirkes about it, reporting the quirke and finding solutions to overcome/reduce the quirkes...Just look at the xrgb-3 as a prime example! The product with the least quirkes will win as there is less hassle to do what it does. If the competitor points out a quirke or 5! Before final production, I see that as a blessing cause the problem(s) can be addressed before resources are committed to production and less problematic for the end consumer."
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

What we don't understand is why is it there's all this hate for having a similar competing product in the market - especially considering that we didn't have this stuff a few years ago.
I wasn't hating really.. but like you said options breed competition and vise vera. When ever I buy new equipment (from TVs to cars) I'll read up on the forums and reviews. And on these forums and even professional reviews it is VERY common to have discussion on a rival with links and specs. It winds up being really useful (reference level vs price vs comparable performance - Fudah's web pages are a good example). As long as it doesn't turn into a shit storm it all works out really well.

I was just throwing out there that the option I bought came out months ago and I'm thrilled with the results and also I feel more "allegiance" to the creators of the SLG-3000 due to all the input they gathered from this forum. Along with sending Fudah a proto to report the results. The whole development happened in a way that I could not ask to have happen any better. I'm thankful for that and so... I did some LIGHT trolling in the comp's thread. I was hardly hateful... if that post bruised any feelings that badly I don't see how those folks could handle SRK in general. That place is like the Thunderdome.

I had no idea this sort of chain reaction would follow.... talk about the domino effect. However, some tabloid gossip can be fun from time to time.

I figured maybe someone would see my "snarky" post and follow the link and find out they would rather have the SLG3000 over toodles board for whatever reason. I'm allowed that aren't I?
Last edited by Strider77 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

honestly strider, the boys at srk can not even handle a joke...once a guy asked how to clean a nes cartridge to make it work better on the old nes control deck. I told him to blow from left to right and put the back into the machine and it should work fine. I was shot down faster than a rookey kamakaze pilot and was lectured on corrosion and finished off with a snide comment. SRK's tech talk is a strange bunch this was even back in the SRK 1.0 days. So I learnt and just butt out until I have something simple and easy to explain, something a lay-person can understand.

If you want to troll, just flick on your turbo buttons when ever you play street fighter and say its the best function since sliced bread. That will make them go apeshit.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I think it may be an age thing.... at 34 I just don't get bent out of shape that easy anymore. I can still get in a heated debate, but I don't hate someone afterwards and like to keep it civil. I do have a sense of humor about myself and the shit said on forums.

None of us really sound like rock stars and studs when discussing scanline generators. I'm ok with that though.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
RosserRooster

Post by RosserRooster »

Strider77 wrote:
What we don't understand is why is it there's all this hate for having a similar competing product in the market - especially considering that we didn't have this stuff a few years ago.
I wasn't hating really.. but like you said options breed competition and vise vera. When ever I buy new equipment (from TVs to cars) I'll read up on the forums and reviews. And on these forums and even professional reviews it is VERY common to have discussion on a rival with links and specs. It winds up being really useful (reference level vs price vs comparable performance - Fudah's web pages are a good example). As long as it doesn't turn into a shit storm it all works out really well.

I was just throwing out there that the option I bought came out months ago and I'm thrilled with the results and also I feel more "allegiance" to the creators of the SLG-3000 due to all the input they gathered from this forum. Along with sending Fudah a proto to report the results. The whole development happened in a way that I could not ask to have happen any better. I'm thankful for that and so... I did some LIGHT trolling in the comp's thread. I was hardly hateful... if that post bruised any feelings that badly I don't see how those folks could handle SRK in general. That place is like the Thunderdome.

I had no idea this sort of chain reaction would follow.... talk about the domino effect. However, some tabloid gossip can be fun from time to time.

I figured maybe someone would see my "snarky" post and follow the link and find out they would rather have the SLG3000 over toodles board for whatever reason. I'm allowed that aren't I?

The only issue I have about your post in tech talk is what you said was not in the least bit constructive if you comment on something at least have skimmed the thread I could care less if you are negative as hell about the project I would even encourage it just as long as it has substance
Cocka-doodle-do MoFo
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Those links had a TON of substance. I guess we are both guilty of not reading.

The XRGB3 combined with the SLG3000 is a force to be reckoned IMO. Granted it costs more but when combined with my Sony multi sync widescreen HDTV and my Sony multi sync PVM (tated). I can have ALL my cake and eat it also regardless of resolution with no real lag. I love it and the SLG3000 has made my set up even better. It also did this months ago... and I think others who are that in need for something like this could benefit from having a SLG and not have to wait. If they want to wait that is no crime but neither is not waiting and opting for the competition.
Last edited by Strider77 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RosserRooster

Post by RosserRooster »

Strider77 wrote:Those links had a TON of substance. I guess we are both guilty of not reading.
Well thank you for that it was over shadowed but we were aware of the post on this forum
Cocka-doodle-do MoFo
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Just making sure.
d3v

Post by d3v »

Strider77 wrote:

You could have stated it in a less abrasive manner that didn't come out as saying "Toodle's stuff is meh, get the SLG3000 instead."

As I've previously stated, we don't like that kind of tone in Tech Talk. We've tried our best to create a more constructive culture than what goes on in the rest of SRK, even if the price is to create what can sometimes seem to be like a Singaporean police state.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I'm just rooting for my home team in simplest terms... can't you get that?
RosserRooster

Post by RosserRooster »

Strider77 wrote:I'm just rooting for my home team in simplest terms... can't you get that?
So your rooting for the Germans?? If history tells you anything not a good idea...jk I love some Jagerschnitzel
Cocka-doodle-do MoFo
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

:shock:
guldberget

Post by guldberget »

RosserRooster wrote:
Strider77 wrote:I'm just rooting for my home team in simplest terms... can't you get that?
So your rooting for the Germans?? If history tells you anything not a good idea...jk I love some Jagerschnitzel
That is just a very offensive thing to say. This discussion is WAY out of line now.
WTB PCBs: Armed Police Batrider JP ver B, Deathsmiles, Demon Front
WTB console games: Battle Garegga (sat), In The Hunt (sat)
RosserRooster

Post by RosserRooster »

guldberget wrote:
RosserRooster wrote:
That is just a very offensive thing to say. This discussion is WAY out of line now.
It was just a joke no offence intended my family's is as German as German gets just trying to lighten the mood
Cocka-doodle-do MoFo
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

I know this type of banter's alright in the U.S, but it's clear to me (and to others) you don't understand how sensitive people in Germany can be to Nazi accusations, even in jest...
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

With the cga vga scaler used commonly with this, a friend of mine gets some horizontal tearing on her lcd. is this a tv specific issue, is it a problem with all lcds, or is it something that can be resolved with the scaler itself?

edit: this might have fit better in the sync strike thread, sorry in advance
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I doubt that either the SLG or the Sync Strike can introduce any kind of tearing. As far as I know the CBS8220 has a fixed frequency output, so anything off the standard NTSC timings gets framerate converted. What sources is she using ? If the sources have standard NTSC timings, it can be a timing problem with the TV's VGA input (VESA 60Hz vs. NTSC 59.94Hz).
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

I wasn't implying the sync strike or slg was causing this, I just didn't think there was a thread for this scaler in particular and those two threads are the most related to it I guess. I'll ask what console specifically, but the ones she works with are all ntsc - sega saturn, genesis model 2, pc engine duo, n64.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

some press news about SLG3000. SLG3000 is tested in the Retro Magazine issue 21.

http://www.retromagazine.eu/retro/
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Hehe, check out this one :)

http://www.teamhww.nl/2011/10/review-sl ... ld-school/

Hope you understand some dutch. Thanks to Chris from www.shadaloo.eu for making this possible :)

@ckong : some translation? :)

one addition to the RETRO Magazine review. Had yesterday the chance to buy a Retro issue 21 myself. I thought it would be some lines. But it was one double page review with awesome pics. :) don't miss it.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Nice, man! Getting some real publicity! :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

bencao74 wrote:
I tried the google:

"Yes it's official! Donny and Steve are old cock! "
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I'm sure this must have been asked but I can't find it.. how does the SLG3000 compare to using scanlines in MAME? I'm currently going MAME (240p game to 640x480) -> DVDO Edge (to 1080p) -> TV. Mame's scanlines just don't look right to me (you can't control intensity either).

Would adding the SLG (before the DVDO upscaling) be worth the hassle of getting a VGA cable from my PC to my DVDO do you think?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The SLG results are identical to using MAME DirectDraw scanlines. MAME Direct3D scanline are mess, because they're overlayed after scaling. The problem is that MAME scales whatever input resolution (e.g. 224 lines) to the full monitor res (e.g. 480 lines), which is wrong because it should be 448 lines + 22 black lines of black borders.

IMO it's not worth adding a SLG3000 to a MAME PC, but it is worth getting into understanding MAME's DirectDraw library vs. MAME's Direct3D functions.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Right, maybe I'll look into Soft15khz and other solutions then.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Might be interesting right here now : I`ve made with Sailorsat a PCB Version of her Soft15Khz Dongle

http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteuro ... ucts_id=38

This device allows to use new generation garphic cards with Soft15Khz tool. Just for info, only if you step into compability issues.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Nice, might have to have a play with that, I won't hijack the thread any more though :)
fagin

Post by fagin »

bencao74 wrote:Hehe, check out this one :)

http://www.teamhww.nl/2011/10/review-sl ... ld-school/

Hope you understand some dutch. Thanks to Chris from http://www.shadaloo.eu for making this possible :)

one addition to the RETRO Magazine review. Had yesterday the chance to buy a Retro issue 21 myself. I thought it would be some lines. But it was one double page review with awesome pics. :) don't miss it.
I turned the video off when they started to show the set-up on a flaming 1080p resolution source!!! :roll:

Perhaps I'm missing something in translation. lol
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I just got this in a little while ago, and wow...this is really doing what I was hoping it would do. I got this to help out with the games on the 360, that I found didn't look so hot, without scanlines(RE4 HD, Guardian Heroes(original graphics), most CAVE shmups).....it looks great.

Great job guys! I may have to snag another one of these.