XRGB-mini Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hamburglar

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister (now available !)

Post by Hamburglar »

darthcloud wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:
retr0gamer wrote:I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but this post shows the quality difference of the 1CHIP:

http://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/75
This link confuses me. I have 2 USA SNES model 1 consoles. One is a 1CHIP, and it gives an identical picture to the non 1CHIP model. However, I also have an SNES2/jr./mini, and it gives off a better picture than both SNES model 1's. How could his situation be different than mine?
How did you identified you had a 1CHIP?

You took it apart right?

I ask because I saw some people saying you could identify them by looking at the eject button if the word eject was printed or molded. Or to check if the FCC info on the bottom was on a sticker or molded.
Those method are inaccurate because Nintendo started using those molded button and FCC info since 1994 with SNS-CPU-RGB-01 board.

So one could end-up with either a RGB-01, RGB-02, APU-01 or a 1CHIP-01 version with that identification method.
I have 3 SNES consoles total, one is a launch model 1, one is a late model 1, and one is model 2 (the jr/mini). Both the model 1's give off the lower quality picture, even though one has white eject text, and one is grey. I even opened up the systems and the insides are way different. the SNES 2/jr/mini however, gives off the awesome picture quality shown in those comparison shots.

I would KILL for the SNES2/jr/mini picture quality in a model 1 casing!
grahf

Post by grahf »

Just a heads up for people visiting Japan, Trader2 in Akihabara has Minis in stock for 32,800 yen.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

fagin wrote:RGB32E,
What resolution is that scanline mode using? It looks proper shite in that picture?! :?
Awww... Hey now... All pics were taken at 1080p. Meister mode at 720p looks much nicer. Fudoh mentioned this in his review, but I guess pictures of 1080p not working well with Meister mode haven't been shown before?
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

darthcloud wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:
retr0gamer wrote:I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but this post shows the quality difference of the 1CHIP:

This link confuses me. I have 2 USA SNES model 1 consoles. One is a 1CHIP, and it gives an identical picture to the non 1CHIP model. However, I also have an SNES2/jr./mini, and it gives off a better picture than both SNES model 1's. How could his situation be different than mine?

You took it apart right?

I ask because I saw some people saying you could identify them by looking at the eject button if the word eject was printed or molded. Or to check if the FCC info on the bottom was on a sticker or molded.
Those method are inaccurate because Nintendo started using those molded button and FCC info since 1994 with SNS-CPU-RGB-01 board.

So one could end-up with either a RGB-01, RGB-02, APU-01 or a 1CHIP-01 version with that identification method.
Yeah, I've opened it. I did post a picture of the PCB a couple of pages back, didn't I? ;) I took a bunch of pics of the insides, but haven't posted them yet. I believe I mentioned that the serial number of this "special" SNES starts with UN60.

Funny thing about this SNES is that I got it from a local import video game shop at a discounted price of $20 since the RF jack was supposedly finiky. 8) Bare console only, but it's proved to be worth the $20! :mrgreen:
fagin

Post by fagin »

RGB32E wrote:
fagin wrote:RGB32E,
What resolution is that scanline mode using? It looks proper shite in that picture?! :?
Awww... Hey now... All pics were taken at 1080p. Meister mode at 720p looks much nicer. Fudoh mentioned this in his review, but I guess pictures of 1080p not working well with Meister mode haven't been shown before?
:lol:

I know what Fudoh mentioned, but clarification was good to have with regards to the image you took and published. :mrgreen:

Others seeing that could be mistaken for thinking THAT was the proper scanline mode! :wink: That would single handedly cease all purchases of the mini! :mrgreen:
Shining

Post by Shining »

darthcloud wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:

You took it apart right?

I dont know if this has been posted, but check out this link and scroll down to the post made by TROW:
http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... p%3D113058

Using Google Translate:
"You can only identify 3 "groups" without opening the console versions:

SHVC-CPU-01:
- It is heavier
- You have insurance for cartridges (LOL)
- Information from the FCC in the bottom of this on a label
- Eject lever is printed "EJECT"

SNS-CPU-GPM-01, SNS-CPU-GPM-02:
- Uninsured cartridge
- Below the power button is a gray label that says something like "do not remove the cartridge while the power is on" in English course.
- The FCC information is molded into the plastic of the bottom
- Eject lever has the letters molded into the plastic EJECT
- If you poke through the connector of the cartridges, the sides just enough to see a little inside of the console. If it is hard to see is chrome and the connector, you have a plate in your SNES GPM.

SNS-CPU-RGB-01, SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01:
- On the outside is equal to the GPM
- If you poke around the side of the cartridge connector and see who is black, you have an RGB or 1CHIP plate.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5035 ... encias.png"

Guess there is still no way of telling the difference between a RGB-01 and a 1CHIP-01 without taking the console apart.
RGB32E wrote:I took a bunch of pics of the insides, but haven't posted them yet. I believe I mentioned that the serial number of this "special" SNES starts with UN60
Except for maybe this :)
darthcloud

Post by darthcloud »

RGB32E wrote:Yeah, I've opened it. I did post a picture of the PCB a couple of pages back, didn't I? ;)
Yeah, for yours I knew it was identified correctly since you did post a picture of the board :)

My RGB-02 system start with UN28 btw.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

fagin wrote::lol:
I know what Fudoh mentioned, but clarification was good to have with regards to the image you took and published. :mrgreen:
Yeah, I'll post a comparison pic with 720p and 1080p and bake the labeling into the picture to avoid confusion! :P
fagin wrote:Others seeing that could be mistaken for thinking THAT was the proper scanline mode! :wink: That would single handedly cease all purchases of the mini! :mrgreen:
It is the proper scanline mode... in 1080p! I don't think all people want scanlines anyways. :shock:
darthcloud wrote:My RGB-02 system start with UN28 btw.
Good to know. Just like the Neo Geo AES, different revisions have different RGB output quality. The only way to identify without opening was to track by serial number ranges, not simply physical appearance of the case.
grahf

Post by grahf »

I haven't been able to find much information on Super Famicoms, so lets do the serial number thing. My personal Super Famicoms:

S20xxxxxx SNS-CPU-RGB-02
SM10xxxxxx SNS-CPU-RGB-02
SM11xxxxxx SNS-CPU-RGB-02

I read somewhere that the SM was a bundle serial number, whereas the S are normal units. I guess that makes sense, as all the SMs I've seen have lower serial numbers, but are newer.

So far, the highest serial number Super Famicom I've come across has been an S23xxxxxx, and it was super minty. It was probably a 1CHIP, but I don't have money to waste right now finding out. Does anyone have one with a serial number higher than that?
darthcloud

Post by darthcloud »

I'm currently harassing all ebay seller to get their snes SN.

So far I've buy one UN31, one UN60 and UN81

I might get an UN29 too.

This way will have a better idea when they started to make those 1CHIP.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Sweet! I look forward to the data! Any suggestions for where to best document this?
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Raiders of the Lost SNES.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
darthcloud

Post by darthcloud »

RGB32E wrote:Sweet! I look forward to the data! Any suggestions for where to best document this?
I don't know since their is already a thread about this we could post the result here.

Would be cool if other user with SFC could check their system and document the serial too.

I know that some store in japan have big lot of loose SFC, I guess they sold them pretty cheap. Would be cool if a member located in Japan could check this.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

The 1CHIP is in all SNES Mini/Jr's? Is that what causes such nicer picture quality?

If that's the case, I am going to *have* to find a model 1 SNES with a 1CHIP inside! Do I just go to Play N' Trade and pay the dude to find a model 1 SNES that has black plastic on the sides of the cartridge port?
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

I took delivery of my FrameMeister yesterday and my first experience was a bit of a mixed bag.

Don't know if this has been covered already but I hooked my Super Famicom up and when in MEISTER mode I'm getting some 'scroll flicker' on backgrounds and around some sprites.

This is the exact same effect I get with games on the PS3 Neo Geo Station when scanlines are enabled.

Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Post some pictures or a video and I'm sure we can easily help you. So far I have a hard time seeing what you mean by "scroll flicker".
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

I might struggle to sort that. I was hoping the term might be enough to ring a bell with someone. It's like a flashing/flickering in the backgrounds whenever the game is scrolling.

Doesn't happen in any other display mode, only MEISTER (shame, as it's looks awesome when static).

Thanks anyway Fudoh. Great review btw :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Could only be caused by your display I guess. Have you compared the effect when setting the Mini to 480p, 720p and 1080p output ?
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

I did, yes. Only thing I did notice is it didn't happen in default DVI setting ... only encountered the problem when I switched to HDMI.

I think you're right about the display. As I say I get the same problem with NeoGeoStation games using scanlines. Might just be my Bravia not liking something.
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

Fudoh wrote:Could only be caused by your display I guess.
You were spot on! I went into the picture menu on my TV and set it to its most basic display mode. Voila! Problem solved.

Thanks for your help :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Which Sony model do you have ? Motionflow could be causing this. On the higher end models you've got a seperate Game scene mode which doesn't even allow you to switch on motionflow.
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

Sounds like you've pin-pointed the problem.

It's a Bravia KDL-37W5710.

It has 3 preset picture modes (plus film mode);

Standard (some enhancements)
Vivid (way too many enhancements)
Custom (none at all/blank canvas)
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Bunk wrote:Sounds like you've pin-pointed the problem.

It's a Bravia KDL-37W5710.

It has 3 preset picture modes (plus film mode);

Standard (some enhancements)
Vivid (way too many enhancements)
Custom (none at all/blank canvas)
In addition, I'd like to recommend using Normal2 image mode. This makes all columns of pixels uniform in size (width wise). Worth trying at the very least, but might be too wide for some compared to Smart2x!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I use Normal2 in 720p, because I like it a little wider than the normal 4:3 mode :oops:
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

Will give Normal2 a try, thanks for the tip.

Managed to update the firmware today. Nice to have English menus.
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

Just tried my Saturn (Derby Stallion) and the image is massively over-scanned ... like it's hugely zoomed in. Is this something others have experienced?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Sounds like what franjipane experiences with his white model 2 Saturn. He posted pictures on january 8th a few pages back.
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

Ah, yes, the very same problem.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I don't think we have solution yet. I really wouldn't know what's causing this. I've checked both my Saturn models with a bunch of cables and I never run into this issue.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Does the Mini-Din 8 input port on the mini accept 15khz RGBHV?
It comes with an included RGB scart to mini-din too, no?