XRGB-mini Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
XSync-1

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister (now available !)

Post by XSync-1 »

RGB32E wrote:
Fudoh wrote:Did we have tests with different PS1 models on the Mini yet ? RGB32E, yours didn't work, right ? Did you have to chance to test it with an additional stripper yet or a mod to S-Video Luminance instead of composite video ?

Anyway, PS2 with Scart works fine on the Mini. You even eliminate all the noise that's present when using a component cable instead.
One of my PS1 systems doesn't display without processing the composite video first (X-SYNC1 fixed it). However, using the same cable with a PS2 works just fine connected to the mini (via the included adapter).

The "High Grade" Hori D-Terminal cable produces some noise in the picture, so using a component cable doesn't guarantee there'll be no noise. I've had the opposite experience from you... RGB -> no noise, Component -> some noise.

YMMV!
Do you want to sell your X-Sync1 by any chance?
chipzoller

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister

Post by chipzoller »

Don't know if there is a better site/forum for help with the Framemeister, but if you know of one please direct me.

Got a new Framemeister and noticing that my US PS2 connected via component to the Framemeister and then to my LG TV is suffering from what I'd describe as massive, sporadic flickering. It's behaving like there's an intermittent connection or a refresh problem. PS2 -> LG TV direct with component works just fine. Tweaked all sorts of settings on the Framemeister including sync, picture modes, just about everything and it's still there. Have not tried other component connections at this time. Searching the 'net and I can't find anyone else with these symptoms. Framemesiter runs latest 2.04 firmware. S-video source (N64) seems to be fine.

Has anyone heard of this before? Any recommendations?
TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner »

chipzoller wrote:Don't know if there is a better site/forum for help with the Framemeister, but if you know of one please direct me.

Got a new Framemeister and noticing that my US PS2 connected via component to the Framemeister and then to my LG TV is suffering from what I'd describe as massive, sporadic flickering. It's behaving like there's an intermittent connection or a refresh problem. PS2 -> LG TV direct with component works just fine. Tweaked all sorts of settings on the Framemeister including sync, picture modes, just about everything and it's still there. Have not tried other component connections at this time. Searching the 'net and I can't find anyone else with these symptoms. Framemesiter runs latest 2.04 firmware. S-video source (N64) seems to be fine.

Has anyone heard of this before? Any recommendations?
Not sure it's a good lead but is your PS2 PAL by any chance?
chipzoller

Post by chipzoller »

No, it's NTSC (US model).
ryusensi

Post by ryusensi »

Hi all, long time lurker, recently encountered an issue and posting here to see if anyone can help.

I just bought a second hand framemeister and have a big problem with it. Most games seem to run fine - which is great -, but Silent Hill 2 (PAL) doesn't.

In a large squared area of the screen (going from the top-right corner to a bit beyond the centre), the image is significantly blurrier than the rest of the screen (I wonder if it only crops up on this game because of the noise effect...).

In the picture below you should see the effect, with the image blurry on the right and fine on the left. (Sorry for low quality shot, I don't have a capture card).

It's as if a blur filter is being added, but only to like 40% of the screen. This happens in all image modes (even those that use lpf at a minimum).

Any idea what might be causing this? Could it be the framemeister lpf is broken? Is this expectable behaviour for it somehow?

I'm thinking of asking a refund :( So any help is welcome, thanks!

https://imgur.com/aPJlWDI
Cosmonal

Post by Cosmonal »

Hey guys.

Is there a sharp profile for original Wii to use on 1080p scaling from its 480p signal? Maybe some 2x or 2.5x? I think there's no Wii profile from FBX?

Thanks in advance!
Cosmic Effect
Videogames Ontem e Hoje
kerframil

Post by kerframil »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:Hello i'm a newbie looking for advice please on XRGB Mini Framemeister settings for 8bit home computers
The two home computers i have are:Atari 800XL PAL stock using S-VIDEO and a Commodore 64 PAL stock using S-VIDEO
My XRGB Mini Framemeister firmware is 2.04
Downgrade to 2.03a. 2.04 is beta quality, at best.
Midge_the_Mouse wrote:My output display is SAMSUNG T32E310 32" LED TV/MONITOR PAL 5ms
My output from the XRGB Mini Framemeister is in too HMDI2/DVI PC port at the back off the SAMSUNG via HDMI cable
All of the SAMSUNG unnecessary fancy features that introduce lagg are turned off and GAME MODE is set to ON in HMDI2/DVI PC port

Now because i'm a newbie and i'm unsure if my settings are correct i don't know if i missing something or could have better settings?
Have you looked at the junkerhq wiki article? Generally speaking, and given the use of a 288p input, you would want to select 576p@50Hz as the output mode, select PICTURE as the image mode then optionally enable scanlines if you want them. As long as your TV scales handles and scales the output mode correctly, there shouldn't be much more to it than that but you'll find more material to consider in the wiki.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

and given the use of a 288p input, you would want to select 576p@50Hz as the output mode
unless the source systems use a full 288-line ouput (which they hardly do), you can work with overscan/zoom settings and get a perfect result on 720p or 1080p as well. The 576p output recommendation is really just for stock settings.
kerframil

Post by kerframil »

Cosmonal wrote:Is there a sharp profile for original Wii to use on 1080p scaling from its 480p signal? Maybe some 2x or 2.5x? I think there's no Wii profile from FBX?
I don't know about a pre-cooked profile, but the wiki mentions that the Smart2x mode can be used with 480p sources. In principle, that should work well if you use a 1080p output mode. That said, the Mini's 480p handling isn't highly regarded, despite its stellar 480i processing. You would probably be better off with an OSSC or some other video processor for this particular task.
kerframil

Post by kerframil »

Fudoh wrote:
and given the use of a 288p input, you would want to select 576p@50Hz as the output mode
unless the source systems use a full 288-line ouput (which they hardly do), you can work with overscan/zoom settings and get a perfect result on 720p or 1080p as well. The 576p output recommendation is really just for stock settings.
Granted, though that may be more tweaking than a self-professed newbie wants or needs. For sure, it's the way to go if the display scaling is poor.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Anyone have advice on getting HDMI-CEC working on the HDMI inputs? I have my Switch plugged in via HDMI 1 with passthrough enabled, and every time it turns on it switches to an invalid input instead of the input the Framemeister's plugged into. The weird thing it used to work, but after I had to unplug and replug my HDMI inputs recently, it stopped - and I can't figure out how to fix it again.
stranno

Post by stranno »

Has anyone tried the Avermedia 4K (GC573) or Ultra (GC553) with the XRGB-Mini? I'm not getting sound at all just plugin the XRGB output HDMI into those capture cards input port. UNLESS I plug the output port from those cards to an active input device (screen, another capture card, whatever).

It's weird because older capture cards, like Extreme, Live Gamer or U3 (yeah, I collect capture cards xD) don't have this issue, they capture the sound perfectly fine without any kind of passthrough thing (well, U3 is actually just an USB capture device, it cannot output video).

HDMI consoles give sound perfectly fine without the passthrough thing, again. It's just the XRGB-Mini and those new capture cards.

Any idea?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

was just discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67683

I would still say that at its core it's an EDID issue.

In the thread above it was suggested to just route the capture output back into a HDMI input on the FM itself. Seems like an easy workaround.

And remember the various reports a few years ago, where sound was a problem on certain TVs as long as deep color on the FM was enabled. Maybe check that as well ?
stranno

Post by stranno »

Fudoh wrote:And remember the various reports a few years ago, where sound was a problem on certain TVs as long as deep color on the FM was enabled. Maybe check that as well ?
My apologies, I didn't see that topic using Google Search (weird, since there are like 10 proper results giving Avermedia and XRGB-Mini).

Deep Color didn't change anything, unfortunately. I guess plugin the HDMI back is the only solution.

Thanks for the answer :D
Gabeshack

Post by Gabeshack »

Hi all, I wanted to check if anyone else had ever screwed up a firmware update on the framemeister before. We had a power out right when I was applying the update and now the framemeister only shows 2 green lights and won't try to re apply the firmware update. I see it has a usb port, id assume there must be a way to factory reset it.
Any ideas?
EDIT:
NM, I figured out it writes some files back to the card, just needed to wipe the card, reload the firmware files back on the card and start the process again.

GabeShack
CWCprime

Post by CWCprime »

I'm having an issue with PS2 via RGB. There appears to be some weird motion blur-like effect whenever there is movement on screen, almost like someone is smearing vaseline on the screen. It's more noticeable in some games than others. I've also noticed that there is a faint vertical line going down near the center of the screen (slightly off-center to the left a little) - it's most visible when fading in/out of the Browser screen. It almost looks like the blur effect appears more prominently on the left side of this line. I tested composite cables going into the FM (those are the only other PS2 cables I have) and it's still noticeable, so I don't think it's my RGB cable. I also plugged the composite directly into the TV, and it appears fine there. So something must be going on with the FM. I'm using FW 2.03a and FBX profiles.
Moonwalker

Post by Moonwalker »

Hi everyone,

I updated my mini to 2.3 and put on some new Firebrand Profiles to play around.
Unfortunately the SD Card shows every name twice. Once normal and one more with and underline (_) in front of it, like this I can only use 10 profiles.

I tried everything for 2 hours and cannot get it done.

I use Mac OSX, could this be the problem?

Can anybody help?

Thank you!
TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner »

Moonwalker wrote: I use Mac OSX, could this be the problem?
Yes, I believe I experienced this same issue in the past.
Gabeshack

Post by Gabeshack »

@Moonwalker
Yup it due to the Mac formatting.

Here is how to fix it:
1. Open Terminal

2. In terminal type
cd (then leave a space after it)

3. drag the EEPData folder into terminal from the sd card and hit enter (This should now show the EEPData folder name)

* optional step(if you want to see the files that are duplicated with the ._ type the following)
ls -al

4. Now type
rm ._*

5. To verify you deleted all the .- files type the below command again
ls-al
Moonwalker

Post by Moonwalker »

Gabeshack wrote:@Moonwalker
Yup it due to the Mac formatting.

Here is how to fix it:
1. Open Terminal

2. In terminal type
cd (then leave a space after it)

3. drag the EEPData folder into terminal from the sd card and hit enter (This should now show the EEPData folder name)

* optional step(if you want to see the files that are duplicated with the ._ type the following)
ls -al

4. Now type
rm ._*

5. To verify you deleted all the .- files type the below command again
ls-al
Great, thanks a lot! Gonna try this tonight.

EDIT: Worked like a charm, thank you!
Last edited by Moonwalker on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonwalker

Post by Moonwalker »

I have one more question to clarify after playing around with all the profiles and settings.

720p looks great with scanlines
1080p 4x profiles look great with scanlines now as well
1080p 5x profiles look bad with scanlines, since they are too thin

I always used 720p because I am a sucker for scanlines. 1080p 4x looks good now with scanlines, but the visible screen is too small. 1080p 5x looks fantastic with the screen being fully used, but the scanlines look shit. I tried to zoom in 1080p 4x but as expected the scanlines won´t work.

Finally a question about 480i PS2. 1080p 2x looks fantastic with scanlines, but as above the visible screen is quite small.

Is there any way to have 1080p, a full visible screen (4:3 of course) and good looking scanlines?

Thanks guys and have a nice Sunday!
Moonwalker

Post by Moonwalker »

Could one of the pros here confirm my last post please?
It would be great to haven 1080p x5 with good scanlines.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Does your TV possibly support 960p with the Framemeister set to DVI mode? I used that for 480i content on my LG OLED and it looked great. If I remember correctly you have to height setting a few clicks but that should give you an integer scaled image that looks really sharp and properly scaled.

I have since sold my Framemeister as I only used it for interlaced content, which means I practically never used it anyway, so unfortunately I'm unable to check what settings I used :/
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Moonwalker wrote: Finally a question about 480i PS2. 1080p 2x looks fantastic with scanlines, but as above the visible screen is quite small.

Is there any way to have 1080p, a full visible screen (4:3 of course) and good looking scanlines?
Scanlines don't natively exist in interlaced video so do not exist on CRT with 480i PS2 or its 480p for that matter. While I don't have a solution, perhaps you could drop that goal since it misrepresents the source.
BMF54123 wrote:Hey all. I dunno how many people still use the Framemeister for streaming, now that we have the RetroTINK and OSSC, but I found a solution for the green boost when using RGB output (I can't get AUTO/YCbCr to "stick" when connected to my AVerMedia Live Gamer 4K). Basically, the Framemeister is using the wrong color space in RGB mode, so you need to apply a LUT in OBS to correct it:

https://twitter.com/PixelatedWah/status ... 7699636224
Thanks for the info. I scrolled down to the link to final release but the zip never starts downloading. Do I need to register a Vegas forum account to activate it?
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Now I have another question. Sorry, so many pages, hope hasn't been answered.

I was watching a streamer who explained that she PS3 + Framemeister for PS1 and PS2 games because PS3 gives consistent framerate. In theory, this means no black screen while resolutions switch. Can you confirm? Instant Chrono Cross menu transitions due to no 240p or is it more that PS3 smooths out the framerate and not the resolution? Not a Chrono Cross fan per se but is only example I can think of.
Gara

Post by Gara »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:Now I have another question. Sorry, so many pages, hope hasn't been answered.

I was watching a streamer who explained that she PS3 + Framemeister for PS1 and PS2 games because PS3 gives consistent framerate. In theory, this means no black screen while resolutions switch. Can you confirm? Instant Chrono Cross menu transitions due to no 240p or is it more that PS3 smooths out the framerate and not the resolution? Not a Chrono Cross fan per se but is only example I can think of.
The PS3 emulates the Psx and is not impacted by resolution changes. You'll get a steady 1080p or whatever else your PS3 is set to output. It's not a great looking result, but it'd not an unbearable way to check out the problem games like Chrono Cross.
https://youtu.be/f7fCTHu99bk?t=765
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Gara wrote:The PS3 emulates the Psx and is not impacted by resolution changes. You'll get a steady 1080p or whatever else your PS3 is set to output. It's not a great looking result, but it'd not an unbearable way to check out the problem games like Chrono Cross.
https://youtu.be/f7fCTHu99bk?t=765
Ahhh thank you, I've seen that very video but didn't connect the dots. Good point that PS3 is a PSX emulator for a stickler like me for original hardware. I accept PS2 to play PSX games that preserves the scanlines but also the resolution switches I don't want streaming. Guess you can't have it all.
cvaniafan wrote:
cvaniafan wrote:Anyone tried the Neo Geo Mini on the Framemeister via the HDMI input ? How does it look with scanlines added ?

Bumping my question since the Neo Geo Mini has a poor quality native video output and no scanlines option ! :)
I see question got answered but I want to add that I recently got the Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro that seems to have superior video output. Official website states "Improved the display quality by using 3x pixel scaling and three effects of scanning line". 720p in other words.

Gives option to use one of the following "Quality" settings: Smooth scaling, Pixel scaling, Transverse scanline, Longitudinal scanline, 45 scanline. Names are confusing, Transverse is normal scanlines, Longitudinal is vertical scanlines and 45 is diagonal scanlines from top left to bottom right. Not sure why you'd want anything but Transverse. Website options screen picture calls them "H-scanline" and "V-scanline", which makes a whole lot more sense.

Its 40 games are mostly fighting as you might expect and drawn from the pool of all the Neo Geo Mini variants. Made to work on Geo Neo Mini as joystick. Seen videos of it working with Magic NS as joystick on other consoles.
Kez

Post by Kez »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:Scanlines don't natively exist in interlaced video so do not exist on CRT with 480i PS2 or its 480p for that matter. While I don't have a solution, perhaps you could drop that goal since it misrepresents the source.
May not be what the person you were replying to meant but 480i has alternating scanlines, which can be noticeable on CRT depending on the model and view distance. Some people like to simulate this effect on modern devices.

480p also has scanlines on a high res CRT, they are just much thinner than 240p scanlines.
ChrisK1977

Post by ChrisK1977 »

Hey all, new Framemeister owner here. There's a pretty annoying issue I am experiencing and I was wondering if there's any way to fix it.

It looks like "sleep mode" on this thing still puts out way too powerful of a signal over HDMI and it causes every single HDMI switch I've tried to automatically "switch" to the Framemeister. For example, if I reboot my PS3, the HDMI switch will move away from the PS3 and over to the sleeping Framemeister. It's really annoying.

Is there any way to get around this with some sort of setting? I haven't found a single remote controlled HDMI switch in existence that allows you to disable auto switching, so unfortunately not much I can do on that end.

Seriously out of 8 of my devices that are in standby mode, the Framemeister is the only device that does this.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

ChrisK1977 wrote:I haven't found a single remote controlled HDMI switch in existence that allows you to disable auto switching, so unfortunately not much I can do on that end.
The ATEN VS0801HB has a little switch on the back that turns auto-switching on or off - the non-B version does not have it though. The included remote sucks, but it works fine with a Logitech Harmony.

Alternatively, try shuffling around the HDMI inputs on your switch - some use a priority system and switch away if a higher-priority input becomes active.