XRGB-mini Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jd213

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister

Post by jd213 »

Has anyone ever made a cable for directly connecting a PS2 to the FM's RGB input?

I mostly just use the FM for PS2 480i games now, and would prefer to not use an adapter (I have the official Sony JP D-terminal cable but I assume it can't be used for RGB at 480i).
leonk

Post by leonk »

retro gaming cables U.K. has a sync on luma cable for ps1/2. works with xrgb.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I'm looking for something that connects directly to the mini-DIN port on the FM without the use of an adapter.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

jd213 wrote:Has anyone ever made a cable for directly connecting a PS2 to the FM's RGB input?

I mostly just use the FM for PS2 480i games now, and would prefer to not use an adapter (I have the official Sony JP D-terminal cable but I assume it can't be used for RGB at 480i).
RetroGamingCables has all the parts, and can likely make you a custom cable if you ask them. Shoot them an email and see what they say.

Just be aware that the PS2 switches to RGsB for 480p and up, and Framemeister will only take RGBS, so you'll either have to deal with never using 480p and up, or modding your console to always output RGBS. Personally, I'd just deal with a component to D-Terminal adapter.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

Which FBX profile should I be using for PS1 games on PS2 with scanlines (via component)?

I would think the standard PS1 720p profile, but that one is preset to RGB... when I load it and switch to component, it’s zoomed in way too far. I can zoom out but I want that FBX seal of approval that it’s the correct settings.

Thanks!
Kez

Post by Kez »

Normally the FBX profile should carry over to other inputs, though perhaps component is not included on PS1 profiles as the original console cannot output it..
Firstly, make sure you are using LOAD and not LOAD_SELECT to load the profile. If you are, load the profile and while still in RGB write down the relevant settings (mainly h scaler/V scaler and the zoom settings), then switch to component and check it against what you have written down.

I doubt there would be a great deal of zoom on a 720 ps1 profile so it sounds like something isn't right.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

I’ll get a fresh download of FBX’s profiles just to be safe. As long as I know that is the correct profile for PS1 720p, then good point, one way or the other I can save a component version, even if it means recording the values by hand
Kez

Post by Kez »

Also there are 1080p profiles specifically for playing PS1 games on PS2:

Code: Select all

82PS214X   --  NTSC Sony PS2's PS1 mode 240p Component and RGB Output 4X vertical scaled.
83PS215X   --  NTSC Sony PS2's PS1 mode 240p Component and RGB Output 5X vertical scaled.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

Kez wrote:Also there are 1080p profiles specifically for playing PS1 games on PS2:

82PS214X   --  NTSC Sony PS2's PS1 mode 240p Component and RGB Output 4X vertical scaled.
83PS215X   --  NTSC Sony PS2's PS1 mode 240p Component and RGB Output 5X vertical scaled.
Yup, and i’d use that if I don’t need scanlines. But you need a 720p output for those.

I think I’ll typically go scanlines on 2D games and 1080p for 3D games.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

nmalinoski wrote:
jd213 wrote:Has anyone ever made a cable for directly connecting a PS2 to the FM's RGB input?

RetroGamingCables has all the parts, and can likely make you a custom cable if you ask them. Shoot them an email and see what they say.

Just be aware that the PS2 switches to RGsB for 480p and up, and Framemeister will only take RGBS, so you'll either have to deal with never using 480p and up, or modding your console to always output RGBS. Personally, I'd just deal with a component to D-Terminal adapter.
Thanks, I'll try contacting them.

Won't be using the FM for 480p, so no support needed there.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

jd213 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

Thanks, I'll try contacting them.

Won't be using the FM for 480p, so no support needed there.
No luck with RetroGamingCables, they said "we don't make those"
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Question for FBX in regards to your Framemeister profiles: will the PSP profiles you have created also work for a PSP 3000 over component/D-terminal? Or are they only optimized for a PSPGo?
FBX

Post by FBX »

GojiFan90 wrote:Question for FBX in regards to your Framemeister profiles: will the PSP profiles you have created also work for a PSP 3000 over component/D-terminal? Or are they only optimized for a PSPGo?
I only had access to a PSPgo, so it would require a bit of luck for them to be kosher on the PSP 3000.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

FBX wrote:I only had access to a PSPgo, so it would require a bit of luck for them to be kosher on the PSP 3000.
Cool, thanks for the reply. I'll give them a go and see!
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

Does anyone know what the minimum card size for putting Framemeister profiles is? Or a small card you had success with?

I might have lowballed it too much. I got a 128mb card (yes, mb) thinking it would be just fine for profiles. I did manage to format it to Fat32 using command line on the Mac. But the Framemeister just doesn’t like it, no matter what I do.
Kez

Post by Kez »

I can't think of a reason a smaller card would not work... I would double check your folder structure:

SD:/XRGBmini/EEPData/<profiles go here>
and also power cycle a few times once it's in, sometimes it can be a bit funny about picking the card up on first boot after inserting it.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

Kez wrote:I can't think of a reason a smaller card would not work... I would double check your folder structure:

SD:/XRGBmini/EEPData/<profiles go here>
and also power cycle a few times once it's in, sometimes it can be a bit funny about picking the card up on first boot after inserting it.
The folder structure should be fine because I was copying from my 64gb card that works (which I’d rather use on my sd2snes for obvious reasons).

But I’ll give it a few extra tries based on your faith. Thanks.
Kez

Post by Kez »

If that fails you could also try the SD Card Formatter which is available on Mac.
FBX

Post by FBX »

New package update:

I got a request to make HD Retrovision-based profiles for the Genesis and Power Base Converter. It took 3 hours, but I got them scaled, aligned, and color calibrated. They are in a separate folder in the new zip package:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fra ... -03-25.zip
FBX

Post by FBX »

Added SNES HD Retrovision profiles, renamed all the HD Retrovision profiles to separate them from the normal files list, and added an easy reference text file in the folder for what each profile does:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fra ... -03-26.zip

HDR is sending me their assortment of adapters so I can extend more profile support in future updates.

-FBX
Danexmurder

Post by Danexmurder »

Been a big fan of your work for quite a while FBX. Any chance you'll do profiles for the EON GCHD through the Framemeister?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Danexmurder wrote:Been a big fan of your work for quite a while FBX. Any chance you'll do profiles for the EON GCHD through the Framemeister?
I think putting EON through the FM would defeat the purpose of the EON somewhat. Particularly given that 480p scaling is one of the FM's weakest areas. Unless your TV has awful built in scaling you're probably better off plugging it in directly or setting the FM to pass through.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Kez wrote:
Danexmurder wrote:Been a big fan of your work for quite a while FBX. Any chance you'll do profiles for the EON GCHD through the Framemeister?
I think putting EON through the FM would defeat the purpose of the EON somewhat. Particularly given that 480p scaling is one of the FM's weakest areas. Unless your TV has awful built in scaling you're probably better off plugging it in directly or setting the FM to pass through.
Yeah putting 480p sources into the FM is making the situation worse instead of better. Now if the OSSC had an HDMI input...
Danexmurder

Post by Danexmurder »

FBX wrote:
Kez wrote:
Yeah putting 480p sources into the FM is making the situation worse instead of better. Now if the OSSC had an HDMI input...
Good to know, If I run it through the FM it'll just be on pass through for an extra input. Thanks for the reply!
iceman_0

Post by iceman_0 »

I am new in this forum and have a queestion. I am proud owner of the Framemeister since yesterday and I really like it so far. Even with composite Video the image quality is quite good, and over component (D Terminal) the image is awesome.

But i have a little problem. When i wanted to try to connect my Nintendo Gamecube over RGB Scart I get no image. I am using the gamecube RGB cable from console goods uk.

Same goes for my old dreamcast no name RGB scart cable.

I wonder now if there is the change that same RGB Scart cables are not working with the Framemeister ? If so what type cables are going to work? Or is this impossible and I had bad luck with my Framemeister and the I got one with a damaged RGB port.??
Kez

Post by Kez »

First of all, only the PAL Gamecube outputs RGB so if you're using an NTSC one then it won't work. Though if you are having problems with DC it sounds like something else.

What cable are you using to connect SCART into the Framemeister? JP21 or EuroSCART? If you have the JP21 adapter (this is standard with a brand new Framemeister) then it will not work with standard EuroSCART cables (which your Gamecube definitely is and your Dreamcast almost certainly is as well).

If you bought it from Solaris, they have a EuroSCART option so check your order and make sure that's what you got. If you got it elsewhere, check that order and look at the description or ask the seller. If you're still unsure, unscrew the collar from the SCART head and open it up, take a picture of where the cables connect to the back of the connector and post it here.
iceman_0

Post by iceman_0 »

I ordered the Framemeister directly at Solaris Japan with the Euro Scart Adapter not the JP21. I double checked to be on the save side. It is not that simple unfortunately.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Okay it still may also be worth checking inside the cable to make sure it is wired up correctly. Even better, check the pins are connected properly with a multimeter if you have one.

Here are the pins for the RGB input on the FM:

and EuroSCART:

Sometimes consoles may not output sync at a high enough level to be detected by the Framemeister, so try turning up the SYNC_LEVEL setting and see if that helps.

Also obviously make sure the Framemeister is set to the RGB input.

Are both/either of your cables confirmed working on another device? I understand most households don't have many SCART compatible devices these days but if you can be certain that the cable/console combinations are working then it helps for diagnosing issues.

I think Solaris also have pretty good after-sales support, so if your unit is faulty then they should be able to help you out. Don't do anything that would void your warranty while trying to diagnose issues.
Last edited by Kez on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fandangos

Post by fandangos »

I bet this has been asked a billion times but if I use a simple VGA cable with my Dreamcast like this:

https://s4.postimg.org/bz1eeyj8t/cable_1.jpg

How can I hook it up to the xrgb while outputing 480p?
Kez

Post by Kez »

VGA output is RGBHV, the FM can only accept RGBS. You need to combine the HV sync into CSYNC with a sync combiner. Sync combiner circuits aren't that tough or expensive to build if you have a bit of knowhow, so that is the cheapest option.

You can also use an Extron RGB interface which will output RGBS over BNC.

The Toro by Beharbros is specifically designed for this purpose, and outputs RGBS over SCART. This is the simplest option but also the most expensive.