shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:51 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373
 Post subject: Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:42 pm 

Edit: Removed double post.

Last edited by Old_Man_Willow on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:05 am 

Hello. I have maybe a fool question. How do you move from left to right the settings of the zoom when you call zoom from the remote control? For example, I press a button of zoom in the remote control, I see a bar that I can figure if you move left or right you increase or decrease a value. In my case if I use the arrows of the remote control, left or right arrows, simply does nothing. How can you activate that you can move that values? Hid how you move that values?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:21 pm 

Hello fellow retrogamers!

I'm a video game fan from Germany and received my Framemeister only a couple of days ago. The sheer amount of settings this thing has is still a bit overwhelming to me as I am by no means an expert when it comes to picture settings, resolution, scaling and so on. My first project was/is getting my ps2 right. It actually is hooked up over component and after reading and fiddling a lot I am relatively satisfied with the picture. However, there is a thing I noticed that may not be game breaking but certainly isn't nice to look at either. Around my picture of the game itself are big black borders. Now that seems to be normal because of the scaling (?) that the picture doesn't fill the whole screen by 4:3 like it could with an emulator. However the real problem is, that when I alter my picture settings to make them brighter, the borders around the picture get brighter too! So what I see then is the picture of the game, a greyish frame around that picture an then the normal black bars left an right of the screen. Here's a screenshot of it:

It seems as if the framemeister scales the picture inside a picture that would normally be a 4:3 image. That would be fine with me but that greyish look ruins the experience somewhat. So what can I do about that? I can set my HDMI output range to full but that seems to be wrong as it doesn't match the range of the TV anymore and is a little bit on the dark side. However, it does hide the grey frame relatively good. I also tried to zoom the picture so that it perfectly fits inside the grey frame. But because of the horizontal borders being thinner than the vertical ones I will lose some image information on top and bottom if I zoom in even steps. The problem always exists, changinging picture modes or resolution (to 720p) doesn't matter, there's absolutely always that grey frame around my picture. It is even there with other consoles over the RGB IN although a little less visible/darker. It would be very nice if someone could give me a hint of what I should do now.

Lastly a few short settings regarding my setup:

TV (Sony Bravia):
- Overscan: off (+1)
- RGB Range: set to limited
- Capable of using Deep Color

Framemeister (2.03a):
- Input: Component
- Output: HDMI 1080p or 720p; YPbPr; RGB Limited
- Screen Set: Standard
- Image Mode: Natural
- Auto Scaler: Video
- Deep Color: Auto

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:01 am 

So I've FINALLY gotten around to getting one of these things after depending on my XRGB3 for over a decade (head to believe it's been that ling).

My question is about the Saturn. I've read on here that jailbars can be an issue unless you use an older revision of the firmware? Is that still the case?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 am 

field3d wrote:
Hello. I have maybe a fool question. How do you move from left to right the settings of the zoom when you call zoom from the remote control? For example, I press a button of zoom in the remote control, I see a bar that I can figure if you move left or right you increase or decrease a value. In my case if I use the arrows of the remote control, left or right arrows, simply does nothing. How can you activate that you can move that values? Hid how you move that values?

Perhaps your zoom is currently disabled - try accessing zoom from the menu and check that it is turned on.

Old_Man_Willow wrote:
However the real problem is, that when I alter my picture settings to make them brighter, the borders around the picture get brighter too!

If black is not showing as black, your brightness is too high. This can also be cause by using the wrong range as you have deduced, even if it seems too dark upon change it may be correct. I would suggest trying to view some test patterns to calibrate your brightness (a calibration DVD would work). As a starting point use FBX's PS2 480i profile, and generally I would tweak the brightness on the TV itself rather than the FM. If nothing else works, there is a "BLACK" setting on the FM which would eliminate the border if you turned it up a bit, but would probably also crush some blacks so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:01 pm 

Anyone tried to hook up a Neo Geo mini on the Framemeister ? Does it work with scanlines added ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:58 am 

HI guys just hooked mine up and my screen is tainted pink also no sound at all.

What could be causing this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:32 am 

Can be caused by a faulty EDID readout from your display. Disabling options like deep color support on the TVs side are supposed to fix both the color and audio issue. Certainly worth a try!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:47 am 

Fudoh wrote:
Can be caused by a faulty EDID readout from your display. Disabling options like deep color support on the TVs side are supposed to fix both the color and audio issue. Certainly worth a try!

Have tried that and still no sound!

I just tried the composite in from Sega Saturn and that has sound.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 am 

BTW i bought the Euro Scart adaptor from retro Gaming Cables..

Is there else where perhaps thats why im having issues?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:05 am 

If you get sound from one source, but not from your RGB one, then RGB audio source on the FM might be set to the RCA inputs on front instead of the MiniDIN input.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:13 am 

For some reason some of the games cause what seems to be a drop out. The screen will go blank (Black) for a second and then come back on.
This is with my Neo Geo AES console.

Im assuming its something in the TV settings perhaps?

Does anyone here use their NEO GEO aes on their framemeister and have this similar issue?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:40 am 

Should be gone if you increase the sync level setting on the FM.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:14 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
Should be gone if you increase the sync level setting on the FM.

its currently at 3.. I think the next option to choose is 10?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:48 pm 

You can usually increase it up to 15 and this should get rid of sync drops like those.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:19 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
You can usually increase it up to 15 and this should get rid of sync drops like those.

Ok thank you!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:38 pm 

cvaniafan wrote:
Anyone tried the Neo Geo Mini on the Framemeister via the HDMI input ? How does it look with scanlines added ?

Bumping my question since the Neo Geo Mini has a poor quality native video output and no scanlines option ! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:32 pm 

You can't overlay scanlines on a 720p signal. You'd get 360 scanlines instead the 240 you want. And I don't think the NG Mini can output 480p, can it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:35 am 

Fudoh wrote:
You can't overlay scanlines on a 720p signal. You'd get 360 scanlines instead the 240 you want. And I don't think the NG Mini can output 480p, can it?

Thanks for your reply. I lack some knowledge about this topic, it's a bit complicated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:34 pm 

I got my 480p rbg scart cable from Retro gaming cables uk on Friday and I really like it so far . Still try to figure the best configeration for this Setup. Do you guys think that using the Settings used for the Toro Vga box would be decent starting Point?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:08 am 

/

Last edited by KevinPike on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:19 am 

So I have just recently obtained an Framemeister, I have updated it to the recent firmware but haven't got around to configueing it yet. I have a 4K Sony AF9 OLED TV and mostly PAL consoles and games With exception of a 50/60 Hz modded Super Famicom and Sega Mega Drive. Most consoles is hooked up using RGB-cables. I might move either the Wii,Xbox or PS2 over to component just ti utilize the inputs of the FM, snd free up a slot on the coming gscartsw.

What I have picked up is that people mostly prefer having the Framemeister set at 720p for scan lines? I am all yours here folks. Every hint of help is appreciated for the most appropriere setup.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:40 pm 

I have 2 questions:

1.) I own the original gscartw (with VGA and Scart output), and gcompsw...can someone point me to the correct USA power supply to use for each one?

2.) I would like to feed Sega Naomi video output to XRGB mini. Does the gscartw do sync-combining? If yes, will any VGA-to-SCART cable > gscartw > XRGB-mini work in this configuration? If no, what are my options? (I have JVS and Capcom I/O boards to help this situation. But would like to avoid super guns because I want to connect this Naomi to the gscartw then Framemeister.

Thank you. I love your work!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:58 pm 

zombie343 wrote:
Does the gscartw do sync-combining? ... If no, what are my options? (I have JVS and Capcom I/O boards to help this situation.

Did you mean to post this in superg's thread? :P

The gscartsw (any version, really) doesn't do sync combining, largely because it's a SCART switcher, and SCART has no facility for transmitting separate sync. You would need a different device, be it an Extron RGB interface with a BNC->SCART cable or a whatever-to-SCART cable with a built-in sync combiner.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:17 pm 

Micomsoft are officially stopping production of the Framemeister at the end of june.
https://twitter.com/MicomsoftX/status/1 ... 2367245312
If you plan to purchase a unit, go for it before they disappear from the market completely (or the price goes berserk!).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:41 pm 

I hope they're working on a 4K successor.

By the way, I noticed there was a minor non-incremented update to the 2.04 firmware in March. The download page says: "Corrected errors in menu display. (March 15, 2019 postscript)." I guess they fixed a typo or something.

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 am 

If anyone is looking for one, I recently put mine up for sale.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64774&p=1370015#p1370015

Comes CIB, with an additional high quality 8-pin DIN to SCART cable from retro-accessories. Highest quality cable on the market.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:25 pm 

I can see it now all bastards on eBay will be using tags "rare" "vintage" "retro" "collectors item" for mega stupid money on second hand units

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:44 am 

Are there any good PAL user profiles out there on the web?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:24 am 

They never did add a 1:1 HDMI passthrough did they?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373