Stupid PS2 Newbie Question (tm)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BulletMagnet

Stupid PS2 Newbie Question (tm)

Post by BulletMagnet »

Well, my Japanese PS2 arrived today, and since then I have been getting my butt handed to me repeatedly by DOJ (and loving every moment so far :mrgreen:); however, since I bought the system used and it didn't come with any instructions or the like (not like I can read Japanese anyway), there's at least one or two things about the system I'd like to know...

First and foremost, is it possible to get back to the "Browser/Configuration" screen without shutting the power off? Whenever I hit the "reset" button it just restarts the disc that's already in the drive, and hitting "eject," unlike, say, opening the lid on a Saturn, doesn't bring you back to the main screen, but rather freezes the game in progress, and I end up having to turn the system off anyways. Changing discs is a bit of a pain, since shutting the system off means I have to boot the thing up all over again before I can remove or replace the disc, not to mention that I'm sure it puts some extra stress on the PS2 itself...does anyone know how to just get the thing back to "square one" so I can switch discs or the like easily?

I'm sure I'll stumble upon a couple of other things along the way that I'll need help with (though so far I've been able to play my PS1 imports and DDR without much trouble...for some reason even my USA DVDs work on the thing, though AFAIK the system wasn't modded...), and I'll put those here...for now, though, if anyone can help me with the one question I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Nope, as far as I know, you can only get to the system menu by turning on the console without a disc.

As far as hot-swapping games, just eject the current disc, put the new one in, then hit reset. That's how I do it.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hmmm...figures, the older (and much less successful) system has more practical features than the newer one. Ah, progress. :P Thanks for the help.

Actually, I thought of one other thing...I'm fairly sure that when others have talked of buying Japanese PS2s they've been told they need some kind of adapter for it to work...the system I bought, though, seemed to have the same RCA connectors and wall plug as a US system, and I was able to hook it up in a few moments and play it just fine. Did I misread whatever was said about that, or am I unknowingly doing irreparable harm to my system?

Btw, in case anyone was wondering, I'm pretty much sure the system wasn't modded now, since I tried to play one of my US PS1 games on it, and it wouldn't take it. I'm still curious why it'll play the DVD though...
dbd

to get back to browser -

Post by dbd »

Same as if you are watching a DVD on it*, just press reset, then press eject -

the title screen returns, and the tray ejects the disk.

*except you should always 'stop' the disk first, before resetting it

( some DVD menus, like games, can't be stopped - so then you just have to reset and eject them as above )
BulletMagnet

Re: to get back to browser -

Post by BulletMagnet »

dbd wrote:Same as if you are watching a DVD on it*, just press reset, then press eject -

the title screen returns, and the tray ejects the disk.
That's the thing though, when I press "reset" it'll show some of the trippy floating sparkly things for a second or two, and then boot up whatever disc is already in there again. As you say, I could just hit them in rapid succession, but would that bring the "main screen" up so I could load in something else, or just freeze the thing as it "normally" would? Guess I'll soon find out...
Ghegs

Re: to get back to browser -

Post by Ghegs »

BulletMagnet wrote:As you say, I could just hit them in rapid succession, but would that bring the "main screen" up so I could load in something else, or just freeze the thing as it "normally" would? Guess I'll soon find out...
Yes, that's how I do it. Hit reset, then eject. There's like a 5-second window before the system starts loading the disc, so there's hardly any need for "rapid finger action". :D
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Gave it a shot and it seems to work, it loads up the "main screen" if you hit the two buttons in succession. Thanks for your help. :)