Best Light For the Game Boy Color?...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

Best Light For the Game Boy Color?...

Post by dave4shmups »

I'd like to eventually get a DS, but I'd still like to be able to play GB, and GBC games, and given that GBC's are really cheap, I'd like to get one for those older games.

But I am confused as to which type of light is the best for the Game Boy Color. There seem to be 2 different types-this Pelican made light/magnifier:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 98547&rd=1

And the Nyko Worm Lights:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 48065&rd=1

Which of these is the better light to get for the Game Boy Color?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i had a worm light once. it was alright i guess, the thing is you have to position it so the light pans across the screen without causing an outright glare.
I have no sig whatsoever.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

External lights aren't very good... if you want to play GBC games, a GameBoy Advance SP might be a better choice. It will cost more than a GBC, but the small size and built-in light makes up for it, not to mention it will play GBA games.

Used SP systems should only cost you $30-$50 depending on where you look, in fact I think they're $50 brand new.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

iatneH wrote:External lights aren't very good... if you want to play GBC games, a GameBoy Advance SP might be a better choice. It will cost more than a GBC, but the small size and built-in light makes up for it, not to mention it will play GBA games.

Used SP systems should only cost you $30-$50 depending on where you look, in fact I think they're $50 brand new.
$50 BRAND NEW?! Thanks, I'll have to check on that! Yeah, I think you're right on about the GBC-besides, Donkey Kong 3 is one of my favorite old-school games in ANY genre, and you can't, of course, fit an e-reader on a GBC.
Farewell to hollow words
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

The SP runs about $80 at most major retailers.

How about a Super Gameboy? They cost about $5.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Super Gameboy doesn't support GBC, if I recall correctly.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Accutron wrote:The SP runs about $80 at most major retailers.

How about a Super Gameboy? They cost about $5.
Yeah, the SP is still $79.99 at my local GameCrazy. I wonder if there'll be another price drop for it-maybe when the Game Boy Advance Mini comes out.
Farewell to hollow words
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Or you could try getting a used DS. I saw ten of them piled up on a LameCrazy after people started going ga-ga for the PSP.

*waiting to see when the *%$#@! is Jack In The Box send that DS my brother won*
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Specineff wrote:Or you could try getting a used DS. I saw ten of them piled up on a LameCrazy after people started going ga-ga for the PSP.

*waiting to see when the *%$#@! is Jack In The Box send that DS my brother won*
True-the used one's are are $59.99 at Gamecrazy-I'd just want to take a real good look at the screen, to make sure it isn't all scratched up! The one thing that would really worry me with a used SP is how much life the internal battery would have left in it for charging it up. But as it's a Nintendo console, it probably is pretty durable-they all have been with the exception, IMO, of the American NES.
Farewell to hollow words
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Vexorg wrote:Super Gameboy doesn't support GBC, if I recall correctly.
Ah, right...Super Gameboy only supports the dual-compatible GB/GBC carts, not the GBC-only ones.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

That's very strange you guys are seeing GBA SP's for $80 brand new, because stores in my area are selling them $80-$90 CAD brand new, so I just did a rough USD conversion and rounded to what I thought would be a typical nice number.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Well you're certainly lucky up there in Canada!

Right now, I figure I might as well go for an FC Neo Fami unit-they're only $40 new at my local Game Force store, and they are reportedly the most reliable of the Fami-clones. Even though they say "Yobo" on the box, they're evidently made by a Japanese company called Gametech-don't know how well unlicensed NES games, like those made by Tengen, work on these, though.

With one of these, I wouldn't have to shell out $80, I could get more shmups, and I wouldn't have to get an e-reader and the Donkey Kong 3 cards just to be able to play one of my fav. NES games.
Farewell to hollow words
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

hey dave, are they selling it with the converter? i've been wanting one for the longest time but am unable to find any information about inclusion of the converter.
I have no sig whatsoever.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

captain ahar wrote:hey dave, are they selling it with the converter? i've been wanting one for the longest time but am unable to find any information about inclusion of the converter.
As far as I know, the FC one's I was mentioning, ALL come with converters, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting one.
Farewell to hollow words