I didn't heed the TATE warning...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
captain ahar

I didn't heed the TATE warning...

Post by captain ahar »

i left for FL last week thursday and left my 20" trinitron rotated on my table. returned today and powered on to watch the Labyrinth, and there are problems.

for the most part the screen looks like it always has. but circled below:

it stretches whatever is showing on that side. also the area is faded in its colors. should note (even though most all will have realized), the effected side is the side that was receiving all weight while tate'd.

anyway, is it broken (even in a minor way)? will the symptoms worsen if i continue to tate until i can get a second display?
I have no sig whatsoever.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

What's the TV model? Did you try screwing w/ the degauss?
raiden

Post by raiden »

did you power it on immediately after turning it yoko? Try having it disconnected from power for a few hours, often this helps already.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

KV-20FS100 i think, i'll make sure when i get home.

degauss, while i know what it is, i had no idea i could control it on my tv-set.

i powered on in tate, noticed screen problem. powered off for 10-15 minutes, put in yoko and powered on again.

raiden, do you mean unplugging it completely?
dpful

Post by dpful »

I don't think magnetic problems wil stretch the image.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I "almost" tated my TV, my little 10 inch Daewoo, but the minute it was vertical, the color started getting Greenish, so I decided not. It's fine now though, since I didn't set it on full weight.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

I think you guys need step-by-step instructions. There's a reason it's not working out for you.

1. Turn off the TV.
2. UNPLUG the TV.
3. Wait a while. Hit the power switch on the TV to make sure the power's gone.
4. Flip it.
5. Plug it in.
6. Turn it on.

I'm guessing Blade neglected every step except #4, and Ahar steps 2 and 3. There should be no problems.
raiden

Post by raiden »

I don't think magnetic problems wil stretch the image.
well, that depends on what you call magnetic problems, but if you were suggesting that captain ahar shouldn´t keep rotating his TV, I´ll agree. My suggestion to unplug it was just to try mending the distorted picture it´s displaying now.
@captain ahar: the kind of model you have, with the speakers at the sides, isn´t good for tate in general. I´d go looking for a monitor-shaped TV, with speakers set behind the tube or underneath. If the TV is shaped in a way it can´t stand on the side on its own so you have to support it with something, that´s a sign it doesn´t like to be rotated. Those monitor shaped TVs are getting slightly rare nowadays, probably because it´s a compromise in the acoustic department, but you can mend that with external speakers, which makes sense for several reasons anyway, one being that you have no stereo effect while the internal speakers are vertically aligned.

Blade´s 10" TV should be fine, though, after following the instructions mannerbot posted. The smaller the tube is, the less problems it has with being rotated, because the physical forces causing potential damage are just so much weaker on a lighter tube.
D

Re: I didn't heed the TATE warning...

Post by D »

captain ahar wrote:i left for FL last week thursday and left my 20" trinitron rotated on my table. returned today and powered on to watch the Labyrinth, and there are problems.

it stretches whatever is showing on that side. also the area is faded in its colors. should note (even though most all will have realized), the effected side is the side that was receiving all weight while tate'd.

anyway, is it broken (even in a minor way)? will the symptoms worsen if i continue to tate until i can get a second display?
Leave the TV unplugged for three days and don't touch it. Leave it in one place for three days.

This might not help, but it might sometimes (dealing with magnatism) things can heal slowly. It might take a while.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Indeed magnetisim does change and fade slowly, in some cases 500 years lol :)

Is this an LCD tv, plasma screen or crt?
Vidi Vici Veni
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I would take it in to get professionally degaussed. If that doesn't work, it may be that the shadow mask got fucked up when you rotated it. If that's the case, you're screwed, as the mask is inside the tube. Either way, I think you're going to need some TV shop service.

No more tate-ing televisions, guys. Buy an XRGB for your PC monitor or get a Commodore 1084 (or one if its variants). It sucks to see nice TVs get ruined like this.
raiden

Post by raiden »

No more tate-ing televisions, guys. Buy an XRGB for your PC monitor or get a Commodore 1084 (or one if its variants). It sucks to see nice TVs get ruined like this.
sorry, but:
- the 1084 is about half the size of an arcade monitor, too small or my taste.
- X-RGB2 is more expensive than a TV and gives a worse picture imo, not as compatible with extreme frequencies, too.
- a TV dying in tate mode is like a hero going down in the fight for a good cause :)
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

raiden wrote: - a TV dying in tate mode is like a hero going down in the fight for a good cause :)
I like it :lol:
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

its alive! alive! (freddiebamboo :wink:)

my tv no longer has problems. played video games yesterday, and there was no sign of a screen flaw. must have been temporary from the amount of time it spent on its side. OmegaFlareX, i have no money for XRGB, and an rgb monitor won't happen until i get my super gun later in the year. so Tate shall continue.

thanks for all the interest everyone.
marcus12024

Post by marcus12024 »

For anyone else, most TV repair shops can professionally degauss a TV for fairly cheap. A friend of mine used to own a TV repair shop, and it was just a matter of passing a certain strength of powered magnet over the screen - worked wonders for many TVs.

Also, try checking out some local yard sales for some old TV's. I found a 27" Zenith, 1992 model TV, for twenty bucks. It works great for tate, it actually never leaves that position. And if it gets messed up, I'll throw it away. It only has composite video, but that's good enough for now.

Just a thought so that no one breaks an expensive TV :shock:

Although I have been extremely curious about getting a plasma or LCD TV (widescreen), mounting it on the wall, and then tate-ing it whenever I want. I wonder if the shmup companies doing home ports will start to support widescreen 9:16 tate any day soon?
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

mannerbot wrote: 1. Turn off the TV.
2. UNPLUG the TV.
3. Wait a while. Hit the power switch on the TV to make sure the power's gone.
4. Flip it.
5. Plug it in.
6. Turn it on.
This might work for some, but not all. I got a Sony PVM-2530. If I leave it off, then turn it on it's side, I've got some discolorated reds in the top left hand side of the screen. Red's only...they become purple. Degauss will not fix it. If I leave the monitor on, THEN Tate it, then deaguss, it's fine. Strange, I know.

Even so... it can only last a few hours tate'ed before it has to go back to yoko... which is actually okay by my watch.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

The Sony PVM isn't a TV though. :P
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Still uses a cathode ray tube and is compatible with all TV frequencies, which I think usually qualifies it for the same methods... should anyway.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

captain ahar wrote:its alive! alive! (freddiebamboo :wink:)
But can it tap dance?

"Puttih' ahda Rizz!" "Ooper-rooper!"
Arcader

Re: I didn't heed the TATE warning...

Post by Arcader »

captain ahar wrote:i left for FL last week thursday and left my 20" trinitron rotated on my table. returned today and powered on to watch the Labyrinth, and there are problems.

Thats strange, my Trinitron is practically identical to that picture you posted. Mine is a 30" (or 29") one and I can TATE it while the TV is running without any problems with color or anything.
JigsawMan

Post by JigsawMan »

I have had a 21" Wega tated for almost a year nopw and it works a treat. I bought two, one for tate play and one for regular play. dowside to this is that they take aup loads of desktop realestate :(