Dual Shock 2 Version Differences

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Accutron

Dual Shock 2 Version Differences

Post by Accutron »

The other day, I was attempting to play 2-player Amplitude with my wife. I had been using a transparent blue DS2 controller, and I hooked up a black one for her on player 2. As soon as the first song started, my wife said "R2 isn't working for me." After checking out her controller, I noticed that the black DS2 she was using was different from the blue one I had been using. On the black controller, the L2 and R2 buttons are squeezy with no click, like the DC's shoulder buttons but with less travel. The L2/R2 buttons on my blue DS2 are clicky and have short travel, just like the L1 and R1 buttons. I have used both controllers in other games like GTASA with no problems, but apparently the squishy shoulder buttons on the black DS2 don't work with Amplitude.

I did some searching and couldn't come up with anything about DS2 hardware revisions, so I opened up both controllers, and they are definitely different internally. Anyway, I want to get another DS2 controller that will work with Amplutude, but I have no way of telling if I'm getting one with clicky L2/R2 buttons or squishy ones. Does anybody know if one particular version is older or newer? If I buy another transparent blue one, what kind of shoulder buttons will it have?