Do not TATE your NEC television...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Capt. Takehiko

Do not TATE your NEC television...

Post by Capt. Takehiko »

While old faithful is in the shop (My German T.V that runs all my console shmups brilliantly it tate) I attempted to use my normal T.V watching T.V for playing shmups. DON'T. Whatever it is that adds yellow to the display has too much weight on it and breaks.

Now I have no T.Vs. Just wanted to share that....
The Captain.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Sorry to hear that Capt. Its the luck of the draw as it would be impossible to document every single TV out there.

Its probably safe to say that smaller tubes are less likely to break. What size was yours?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Capt. Takehiko

Post by Capt. Takehiko »

The smallest size that isn't regarded as "mini". :?
The Captain.
dpful

Post by dpful »

You know, the thing that makes yellow is just the circuit board that plugs into the back of the tube. If a wire didn't come undone, it could just be a loose fit- you could open it and press it tight and see if it works again.
(those circuit boards are only hooked onto the tube by the strength of the tube's pins, so sometimes move a bit if you tate or bumb or anything.)

You could say that if the tv still works (but with bad colors) than it's just a loose connection or disconnected wire (rather than any big broken parts)

Don't get shocked- research discharging monitors (I'd just do that fix with my hand on the edges of the cicuit board, with the tv on and everything)
Stay away from the big suction cup thing on top of the tube and it's wires- that's where the real voltage comes from (the kind that will kill you).
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

My Commodore 1084S will turn yellow like that, but all I have to do is jiggle the video wire in a certain direction and it is fixed.
Capt. Takehiko

Post by Capt. Takehiko »

dpful wrote:You know, the thing that makes yellow is just the circuit board that plugs into the back of the tube. If a wire didn't come undone, it could just be a loose fit- you could open it and press it tight and see if it works again.
(those circuit boards are only hooked onto the tube by the strength of the tube's pins, so sometimes move a bit if you tate or bumb or anything.)

You could say that if the tv still works (but with bad colors) than it's just a loose connection or disconnected wire (rather than any big broken parts)

Don't get shocked- research discharging monitors (I'd just do that fix with my hand on the edges of the cicuit board, with the tv on and everything)
Stay away from the big suction cup thing on top of the tube and it's wires- that's where the real voltage comes from (the kind that will kill you).
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I'm just not use to this since all of my other tate enterprises (HP Monitor, Schneider T. V) worked perfectly without tinkering.
The Captain.