Is Raiden Fighters Jet pcb play and plug or need motherboard

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Is Raiden Fighters Jet pcb play and plug or need motherboard

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

do i need the pcb and also the motherboard to play this game or can i just plug the pcb in the supergun and play?
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

isn't that an SPI cartridg? i'm siding with needing the mobo.
I have no sig whatsoever.
japtor

Post by japtor »

i think rfj might be one of the games that comes in cart and standalone pcb versions. if thats the case, just depends on which one youre getting.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Ive only seen the SPI mobo/cart combo myself.

The compatibilities of regions and such are not as well documented and I am not sure if they are cross compatible or not. I believe not. Might be wrong though.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
raiden

Post by raiden »

regions are not compatible with each other for all SPI games. The single board versions are called "... 2000", so for example "Raiden Fighters Jet 2000", and they are worse than the SPI mobo+cartridge versions, mainly sound-wise, but also the difficulty was lowered.
Changing SPI cartridges out for other cartridges is a risky process, so it´s better to get a separate motherboard+cartridge combo for each Seibu SPI game. They are mostly sold like this, anyway - while you might stumble across a loose cartridge, you will rarely find a bare motherboard without a cartridge. Therefore, I wouldn´t buy a cartridge unless you already have a motherboard of the same region.
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

There are two stand-alone PCB versions of RFJ; One is the 2000 version with poor sound (it lacks the Yamaha sound chip) and the graphics glitch slightly. The second version is the same as the SPI version, except it's all on a single PCB.

The SPI cart regions are not compatible with boards from other regions, however, it is possible to change the region code on a cart if you have access to an EPROM burner. It would most likely be easiest to just get a Japanese mobo and collect carts from Japan; That seems to be the most common region. RFJ is frequently sold with a mobo, probably because it still has a decent value. Other games tend to be available as a cart only.

The carts themselves aren't very difficult to swap, but not quite as easy as changing an MVS cart. It isn't necessary to have a separate SPI system board for every cart, unless you find yourself wanting to change carts all the time; Then it would be much more convenient.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

PsikyoPshumpPshooterP wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

is this plug and play?
Yes. :)