What is the most durable model of Duo??...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

What is the most durable model of Duo??...

Post by dave4shmups »

There are so many different models, "regular" PCE Duo, R, etc. And, as this will be the next big, expensive console I'll get, I'd like to know which model is the most durable.

And BTW, how does the American Turbo Duo stack up against the PCE ones?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

If you want to play all the shooters, better get a japanese Duo. The Turbo Duo plays all CD games but it's region locked when it comes to card games.

For durability, your best bet is a Duo-R. Nothing wrong with my Duo, but it doesn't seem like the most durable console ever, and from what I've read the R/RX consoles are better in that department. IMO a Duo-R also looks better.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

aren't all duos region locked on hu-cards?
I have no sig whatsoever.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

captain ahar wrote:aren't all duos region locked on hu-cards?
Yes, although there are convertors like the Kisado.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Bar81 wrote:
True, but back on topic-which model of Duo is the most durable??
Farewell to hollow words
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

dave4shmups wrote:
Bar81 wrote:
Why are you set on the duo? A Core Grafx II plus Super CD-ROM2 combo is both sexier and as durable as it gets.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Bar81 wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:
Bar81 wrote: Yes, although there are convertors like the Kisado.
Why are you set on the duo? A Core Grafx II plus Super CD-ROM2 combo is both sexier and as durable as it gets.
Because with a Duo, you get both in one console.

But IF the Super CD-Rom2 is more durable then the CD-part of the Duo, then please let me know, and that's probably what I'll go with.
Farewell to hollow words
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Dave, didn't you previously own a Duo like, 6 months ago? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Anyway, I remember reading from various sources that the original model Duo is the sturdiest, but I've also heard from various sources that it really doesn't matter. Just get whichever is most affordable to you. And yeah, unless you find a good deal on a US Duo (which you'll have to get modded, ask Matt), stick with the JP model so you can play all the hucard shmups.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I've been keeping an eye out for Super CD-ROM2 units also and they're hard as **** to come across with the interface unit. There are always a couple of Duo's up on eBay though.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

Of course, but if you want the shooters you better be able to play japanese games, because only a few of them were released in the US. The text-heavy RPG's that were released in the US are on CD's anyway, so if you want to play them there's nothing standing in the way of that.
matt

Post by matt »

Dave, from what I've seen on this board you're the type who will buy a console and sell it again soon after. With this sort of gaming habit, you probably don't need to worry about how long the console will last, because you won't own it for very long. Just buy the first Duo you can find that's reasonably priced.

Super CD-ROM2 units can be hard to find, expensive, and IMO the ugly colour scheme is painful to look at (Bar81 has weird taste). From my experience they aren't any better made than the Duos.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

matt..you're no longer a moderator?
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Even though you say that, matt, the last Duo dave had didn't last him long enough :\

Bad luck, I guess.

Count me in with Bar81. I think the whole PC-Engine + SCD-ROM2 + Interface unit is pretty sexy too :)
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

I think the PCE suitcase looks nasty. Get a Duo!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

matt wrote:Dave, from what I've seen on this board you're the type who will buy a console and sell it again soon after. With this sort of gaming habit, you probably don't need to worry about how long the console will last, because you won't own it for very long. Just buy the first Duo you can find that's reasonably priced.

Super CD-ROM2 units can be hard to find, expensive, and IMO the ugly colour scheme is painful to look at (Bar81 has weird taste). From my experience they aren't any better made than the Duos.
I intend to stick with this Duo for a long time. The only reason, which I stated many times, why I got rid of the Duo-R that I got for Christmas was the fact that the Duo part crapped out after like a week.

That's why I am concerned about durabilty-just like I was asking about this with the XBOX-and I'm not going to "just buy the first Duo" I can find that's priced well. That's the type of mess I got into with the Duo I got for Christmas, which I picked out from www.universalvideogames.com .

When I get my Duo, I want one that will last me as LONG as possible.

And Matt, I can appreciate your perception of me, but understand that, even though I was an avid console gamer as a kid, I was "out" of console gaming from 1994, until early 2002-after I graduated from college. It's taken me a LONG time to figure out my likes and dislikes, in terms of both consoles and games.

And please try and answer my PM-I hope you're not still angry at me for any incidents last year when you were a mod.
Last edited by dave4shmups on Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell to hollow words
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

iatneH wrote:Even though you say that, matt, the last Duo dave had didn't last him long enough :\

Bad luck, I guess.

Count me in with Bar81. I think the whole PC-Engine + SCD-ROM2 + Interface unit is pretty sexy too :)
No, bad business. UVG offered to repair it for me, but I had also had a modded PS1 that I got from them crap out on me in about the same amount of time. And I had sent stuff back to them to get it repaired, only to have them make excuse after excuse for their poor customer service-they wouldn't answer any of my emails, it took them MONTHS to get me my stuff back-and then it still didn't work.

Steer far, far away from these idiots, they're a total rip off joint.
Farewell to hollow words
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I should also mention that one of the reasons I'm thinking so much about getting a Duo is because I'd like to focus in on my two fav. shmup developers:

1. Compile

2. Hudson
Farewell to hollow words
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

Yeah, I guess I do have some "interesting" taste at times but I just love the color gray so that the gray/orange combo of the Core Grafx II and Super CD-ROM2 combo just won me over versus the pedestrian black of the original Duo and the not quite white Duo-R.

As to the Super CD-ROM2 you DON'T need an interface unit if you're using a Core Grafx II unit which is what I was talking about. I think the whole Core Grafx + interface unit + Super CD-ROM2 looks like a hack job.

As to what model of Duo is more durable, I don't think there's any significant statistical difference. It all comes down to new or used unit, care in handling during shipment, and general care once in your possession. Get whichever unit you feel is best for you.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Bar81 wrote:Yeah, I guess I do have some "interesting" taste at times but I just love the color gray so that the gray/orange combo of the Core Grafx II and Super CD-ROM2 combo just won me over versus the pedestrian black of the original Duo and the not quite white Duo-R.

As to the Super CD-ROM2 you DON'T need an interface unit if you're using a Core Grafx II unit which is what I was talking about. I think the whole Core Grafx + interface unit + Super CD-ROM2 looks like a hack job.

As to what model of Duo is more durable, I don't think there's any significant statistical difference. It all comes down to new or used unit, care in handling during shipment, and general care once in your possession. Get whichever unit you feel is best for you.
Well, thanks for the advice!

"I think the whole Core Grafx + interface unit + Super CD-ROM2 looks like a hack job."

Are you talking about the Shuttle Grafx? I've seen what you're talking about on Ebay-a Core Grafx inside a case with the Super CD-Rom2 on top. Those do look like hack jobs, but they also look REALLY cool!

Yeah, I guess if I want one that lasts along time, I'll have to save up and shell out quite a bit of money-but IMO, it'd definately be worth it.
Farewell to hollow words
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Damn... mine's a CoreGrafx I :(
Looks like it'll be a Duo for me eventually...
matt

Post by matt »

Bar81 wrote:I just love the color gray so that the gray/orange combo of the Core Grafx II and Super CD-ROM2 combo just won me over versus the pedestrian black of the original Duo and the not quite white Duo-R.
No problem with that, as long as you're happy with your setup! Orange and Gray is just looks really weird to me. I'm more of a blue and gray sort of person...
Not sure what you're trying to say here.

The Super CD-ROM2 unit will work with any of the PCE systems with expansion ports - original white, Core I, Core II, or Supergrafx. The interface unit is only used on the original (non-Super) CD-Rom system.
dave4shmups wrote:That's why I am concerned about durabilty-just like I was asking about this with the XBOX-and I'm not going to "just buy the first Duo" I can find that's priced well. That's the type of mess I got into with the Duo I got for Christmas, which I picked out from www.universalvideogames.com .
That's not cool!

Really, what you should be most concerned about is whether the system is in good condition and has been well cared for. That's more important than what model it is..

All of the Duos are pretty much the same in terms of reliability. Personally, I'm happy with my US Duo. It's lasted me something like 8 years so far and is still truckin'. I'm sure that if you got any model of Duo in good condition, you'd have similar results.

If you really want a rock-solid system, go with the original white CD-ROM system or a TG16+CD. Those things are built like bricks and are a lot more reliable than any of the Duos. The downside, of course, is that they're single speed (really long load times) and they're not as compact as a Duo. Personally, I'd rathery have the Duo's convenience over the reliability of the "suitcase".
And please try and answer my PM-I hope you're not still angry at me for any incidents last year when you were a mod.
No worries - I'm not mad at you! I just get busy these days and forget to do stuff like answering PMs.

But for general questions like the one you just asked me, I think you'd be better off asking in the forum. That way you won't get upset when I don't respond as fast as you'd like, and you'll get to hear other peoples' viewpoints - some of which you might like better than mine.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

Thanks for that. I think the cold I've had for the past three days is starting to damage my brain cells. Of course the Super CD-ROM2 unit can interface with the PC Engine, Core Grafx, Core Grafx II, and Supergrafx units directly. In my mentally damaged state I was probably thinking that only the Core Grafx II matches in color scheme with the Super CD-ROM2 and I somehow extrapolated that into exclusive interfaceability:

OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

matt wrote:The downside, of course, is that they're single speed (really long load times) and they're not as compact as a Duo.
Really? I thought the Duos are all single-speed as well. As far as I know, the first systems to offer double-speed were PS1 and Saturn. Maybe the suitcase setups you've tried had mechanical problems, slowing them down.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
matt wrote:The downside, of course, is that they're single speed (really long load times) and they're not as compact as a Duo.
Really? I thought the Duos are all single-speed as well. As far as I know, the first systems to offer double-speed were PS1 and Saturn. Maybe the suitcase setups you've tried had mechanical problems, slowing them down.
I've never seen *any* indication that the Duo/Super CD-ROM2 added anything more than the 3.00 firmware as standard and upped the RAM to 256k???
matt

Post by matt »

OmegaFlareX wrote:Really? I thought the Duos are all single-speed as well. As far as I know, the first systems to offer double-speed were PS1 and Saturn. Maybe the suitcase setups you've tried had mechanical problems, slowing them down.
Duos are double-speed. If you compare the two side-by-side there's a noticeable difference in load time. PCE games generally aren't all that load-intensive, though, so it's not that big a deal.

IIRC the Sega CD also had a 2X drive.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

matt wrote:
OmegaFlareX wrote:Really? I thought the Duos are all single-speed as well. As far as I know, the first systems to offer double-speed were PS1 and Saturn. Maybe the suitcase setups you've tried had mechanical problems, slowing them down.
Duos are double-speed. If you compare the two side-by-side there's a noticeable difference in load time. PCE games generally aren't all that load-intensive, though, so it's not that big a deal.

IIRC the Sega CD also had a 2X drive.
Load times could be sped up due to the increased RAM and/or improved firmware. There is no indication of anything otherwise. The Sega CD is also a 1x device.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

matt wrote:
Bar81 wrote:I just love the color gray so that the gray/orange combo of the Core Grafx II and Super CD-ROM2 combo just won me over versus the pedestrian black of the original Duo and the not quite white Duo-R.
No problem with that, as long as you're happy with your setup! Orange and Gray is just looks really weird to me. I'm more of a blue and gray sort of person...
Not sure what you're trying to say here.

The Super CD-ROM2 unit will work with any of the PCE systems with expansion ports - original white, Core I, Core II, or Supergrafx. The interface unit is only used on the original (non-Super) CD-Rom system.
dave4shmups wrote:That's why I am concerned about durabilty-just like I was asking about this with the XBOX-and I'm not going to "just buy the first Duo" I can find that's priced well. That's the type of mess I got into with the Duo I got for Christmas, which I picked out from www.universalvideogames.com .
That's not cool!

Really, what you should be most concerned about is whether the system is in good condition and has been well cared for. That's more important than what model it is..

All of the Duos are pretty much the same in terms of reliability. Personally, I'm happy with my US Duo. It's lasted me something like 8 years so far and is still truckin'. I'm sure that if you got any model of Duo in good condition, you'd have similar results.

If you really want a rock-solid system, go with the original white CD-ROM system or a TG16+CD. Those things are built like bricks and are a lot more reliable than any of the Duos. The downside, of course, is that they're single speed (really long load times) and they're not as compact as a Duo. Personally, I'd rathery have the Duo's convenience over the reliability of the "suitcase".
No worries - I'm not mad at you! I just get busy these days and forget to do stuff like answering PMs.

But for general questions like the one you just asked me, I think you'd be better off asking in the forum. That way you won't get upset when I don't respond as fast as you'd like, and you'll get to hear other peoples' viewpoints - some of which you might like better than mine.
Thanks for all your advice Matt! I guess I asked you instead of others in the forum, because I'm aware that you have a lot of video game hardware knowledge that I just don't.
Farewell to hollow words
PC Engine Fan X!

I bought a brand new Turbo Duo in 11/94 for $100.00 USD...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I've had my Turbo Duo ever since the day I bought it brand new for a mere $99.99 USD + tax in November of 1994. In fact, it was the very last one in stock at my local Good Guys store...I really lucked out on being fortunate enough to buy it at that particular time.

In the entire 1994 and into 1995 timeline, brand new games for the TG-16 & the Turbo Duo were selling at the bargin prices of $14.99-$19.99 at the local USA Toys-R-Us stores...you could even buy a brand new sealed copy of Magical Chase for a cheap $19.99 from them as well!

If money is no problem, then it would make sense to buy a brand new PC Engine Duo or Turbo Duo console and you would know that it would last you a long time provided that you take good care of it like anything else of sentimental or nostalgic value.

Like Matt said earlier, it just depends on the condition and usage of a PCE Duo or Turbo Duo (meaning in "used" condition here) that the buyer should be aware when buying used game consoles, especially a Duo console.

If you decide to get a U.S. Turbo Duo, then to get it modded for RGB output + region modification = you'd be all set to play both USA & Japanese PCE Hu-Cards, CD-Rom2 games & the Super CD-Rom2 games as well. An Arcade Card Duo Hu-Card Upgrade would be all that's needed to play the Arcade CD-Rom2 games that afford the extra 16 megabits of RAM.

A word of suggestion of investing in a Tennoekoe Bank Rom-Ram Hu-Card to save your PCE games is necessary as the internal PCE Duo/Turbo Duo does lose it's internal game saves if you don't recharge the "internal capacitor" that saves the game saves often enough. I've had to learn the "hard way" and seeing all my PCE shmups high scores vanish - meaning I had to start from scratch all over again. A Tennoekoe Bank memory Hu-Card has four times as much storage space of a regular Duo console (which only has 2,000 KB of internal memory storage for game saves), meaning that it has 8,000 KB of storage space which is more than enough space for your PCE game save needs anyways.

NEC never did release the Tennoekoe Bank Hu-Card in the USA but did release the TurboBooster Plus which connected to the original TG-16 to give it game-saving abilities (but still required that you powered it every so often to avoid losing the precious TG-16 game saves and having it vanish into "thin air").

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

My Japanese Duo happens to be a tempermental unit. It has a tendancy not to want to play the DA tracks off the CD while the game is running... although, I can normally "kick-start" it into reading the audio correctly by going into the soundtest in the game and running a couple of the tunes.

Out of the whopping 2 games I own, one pretty much runs flawlessly (Winds of Thunder), but the other has several issues loading cinemas (Dracula X). As a result, I haven't been able to save the purple-haired girl in level 7 of Dracula X since the system keeps locking-up when it tries to load the cinema. :/ The annoying part is that the actual game plays just fine, as do most of the cinemas.

I'm thinking I'll probably have to replace this Duo at some point, which is a nuisance (as well as there being no guarantee that the replacement will function better). Has anybody else encountered a similar problem?

But, I'm now thinking about selling my old white PC-Engine (with A/V mod, 2 pads and 5-Player Tap) since if any part of the Duo is going to break, it'll be the CD drive, not the Hu-Card slot.
matt

Post by matt »

I had the exact same problem with my Duo.

It turned out that the power supply from my Playstation was interfering with the Duo and preventing it from reading the audio tracks. Weird, eh? I moved the PSX to another shelf and everything was fine.