So... recommend me a VGA-box.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Titus Andronicus

So... recommend me a VGA-box.

Post by Titus Andronicus »

This topic has probably been discussed to death but I'd really appreciate some help.

I've just been bitten by the shump-bug, it all started when I bought Ikaruga for my GC, and I really, really want to play my games on a monitor (preferrably a rotated one too) and for this I need a VGA-box.

Now, I've looked around a bit on Lik-sang and I've found one that seems to suit my needs (link further down). I need one that supports PAL60, that's about the most important feature on my list from what info I've gathered so far. I have a PAL Gamecube but most of the games I run are american ones (and hopefully a few from Japan on my PS2 in the future) using my freeloader disc.

Anyway, here's a link to the one I'm probably buying http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... ts_id=3166&

I anyone has any comments, thoughts or other recommendations I'm all ears. I can't afford anything that much more expensive since I also need to buy a component cable for my cube (I'm going with the Nintendo one, very expensive but I've heard good things about it).

Anyho, thanks in advance for at least reading my post ;)
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!"
-Hunter S. Thompson
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Your best option is to get a XRGB upscan unit. They're expensive, but provide the best results. The only problem is you'll need to get scart cables (I assume you're in Europe, due to the PAL comment) and convert them to the Japanese RGB standard. Upscanning with any other source (composite, s-video, and even component) will make the picture look like ass.

Or, again, assuming you're in PAL-territory, you could get a small TV that has a scart input and leave it on its side. Raw RGB will provide just as good of a picture as properly upscanned VGA, if not better. The only console that outputs true VGA and is correctly designed for it is Dreamcast. You can get hacked VGA from Xbox and GameCube, but the picture isn't as good as DC's.

Hope that helps.
Titus Andronicus

Post by Titus Andronicus »

Yeah, I took one glance at the XRGB-thing yesterday and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price tag. They sure look nice but I won't afford one right now since I'm on a budget.

You're right of course, I live in Europe. I forgot to mention that little detail.

I was planning on getting a smallish TV and use that for tate mode but then I kind of got the idea that a VGA box & a monitor would produce a better result. Of course, this idea came from viewing a picture of Ikaruga running on a DC with the DC VGA box (oh so pretty).

Well, I'm perhaps better off just using my RGB-scart and tateing a TV then. Thanks for the info!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!"
-Hunter S. Thompson
SAM

Post by SAM »

If you want to play GameCube Ikaruga on a VGA monitor, you don't need a VGA box.

Someone have huck the 525p cable to output VGA singal when the system in progresive scan mode.

http://www.gamechoiceclub.com/navigateP ... uct_id=209

I have this cable myself, and I can play GameCube Ikaruga on a Sony 520GS (21" CRT) monitor in vertical position. It is great.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Thats fine but its still pricey if Iky is the only shmup worth Tateing on the GC in prog scan mode.

Do all shmups on the cube support prog scan?

PAL GC's do not support progressive scan at all anyway. The feature was taken out because at the time of the GC launch prog scan TV's in Europe did not exist due to the PAL regions being that little bit behind on that side of things.

So to get Iky to run prog scan you would probably need an import USA or JPN GC. The VGA cables on the websites that sell them tell you that they do not work on PAL machines for this very reason.

Whats even worse is that USA and JPN GC's that are new do not even have the digital output on them anymore. Nintendo said that less than 5% of the userbase actually bought component cables so to cut costs they took it completely out. The only way now is to get a used one.

Messy business.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

http://www.videogameauctions.co.uk/auct ... ?id=100601

You could buy that.. Its a Panasonic Qube and quite a novelty item. Has the digital output too. You would need freeloader or something to run PAL games though. He is even selling the RGB cable which has to be custom made for NTSC machines (usually goes for $50+ by itself).
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

The modded GC D-Terminal/Component cable is simple, nothing messy about it. For shooters on GC, only Chaos Field does not support progressive scan. As for the GC consoles, the vast majority (US/JP mind) have the digital video port there. The image quality is comparable to DC VGA output and well worth the $50 if you want the best for hi-res stuff (e.g. most everything on Gamecube).
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

oxtsu wrote:The image quality is comparable to DC VGA
This I have to disagree on. It's good, but it's not OMFGPERFECT like DC's crystal-clear VGA. The GC's colors are slightly dull and bleedy. I guess it's understandable since the video comes from a digital-to-analog conversion process.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
oxtsu wrote:The image quality is comparable to DC VGA
This I have to disagree on. It's good, but it's not OMFGPERFECT like DC's crystal-clear VGA. The GC's colors are slightly dull and bleedy. I guess it's understandable since the video comes from a digital-to-analog conversion process.
I have to agree here. I have a GC with X2VGA transcoder, and picture is not as spot on a DC-VGA.
Yod@

Post by Yod@ »

neorichieb1971 wrote:PAL GC's do not support progressive scan at all anyway. The feature was taken out because at the time of the GC launch prog scan TV's in Europe did not exist due to the PAL regions being that little bit behind on that side of things.

So to get Iky to run prog scan you would probably need an import USA or JPN GC. The VGA cables on the websites that sell them tell you that they do not work on PAL machines for this very reason.
It's just the PAL software which doesn't have prog scan - you can run US or JP games on a PAL cube (using FreeLoader, Action Replay, Viper or Qoob modchips, whatever) and it'll still output prog scan if the game supports it.

The rest of what you wrote is spot on though.