I do really need a step-down for my Saturn?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FatCobra

I do really need a step-down for my Saturn?

Post by FatCobra »

My Sega Saturn is a white JPN import, and on the back of the unit, it says 100V. I know that American outlets use 110V to 125V. I don't have a step-down converter for my Saturn, I was wondering if I really need it since the 10 to 25 extra volts don't seem to hurt it and I have to plugged into a surge protector. I also always unplug it when I'm done using it.

Am I eventually going to fry my Saturn if I don't spend the extra money so I am running Japanese voltage thru an American outlet? One thing I hate more than wasting money on bad games is buying a new system and finding out I have to spend another hundred dollars buying crap like memory cards and RF units.

On the plus side, my Saturn came with a cartridge memory. 8)
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

RF units? At least look for S-VHS cables if you can make use of them.

No, your Saturn will not be hurt by american voltage. The difference isn't lethal to your console.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I concur, Japanese saturns do tollerate the extra voltage. I have run mine on 110V since they came out and it still works.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
AngelFish

Post by AngelFish »

But cant you just buy a cheap Saturn with your voltage and swap the Power boards over becasue wont the Saturn still be using the same amount of power actually in the machine. though the power board converts it.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Yep Angelfish changing powerboard is another solution, but a cheap stepdown is less expensive than a saturn and less invasive but I may try that mod myself!
Vidi Vici Veni